Petition to Stop Hurd Premium

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUaggienation

Re: Petition to Stop Hurd Premium

Post by USUaggienation » February 18th, 2019, 10:13 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 8:30 pm
At the risk of bringing down further ire, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tim Olsen and I work in the Student Involvement office at USU. One of the programs I oversee is the HURD, as I am the adviser to the Athletics and Campus Rec Vice President. That elected student selects the HURD and Campus Rec committee presidents and oversees the HURD committee each year. HURD Premium was a vision of my students who held those positions last year, and myself.

The background. . .

The HURD Committee is well aware of the decline in student attendance/atmosphere of the Spectrum. As a USU student myself from 2007-2009, I fully understand what the Spectrum can and should be. In an effort to try and address student attendance issues last year, we met with Athletics, with student groups and we looked at what other programs across the country were doing. Out of that research and those conversations, HURD Premium was born.

The purpose of the program is to enhance the student-fan experience and get more students out to games, get them engaged in the games and get them there earlier. By building up a large section of die-hards (initially 500 students), the goal/hope was that atmosphere would spread throughout the student section as a whole and grow.

For those that may not know, the HURD was initially a club on campus. It was not the entire student section. Students purchased memberships, got t-shirts and other perks and were part of a community. That was no longer the case when the entire student section became the HURD in 2012. During our research into how to improve the student section, a lot of the feedback we received from students was a desire to have a community – a close-knit group like the original HURD.

Something else from the posts I've seen that I'd like to address, is what the HURD has done with the "extra" money this year. Overall, that money has gone towards benefitting the entire student section and all the students — not just premium members. The HURD Committee has paid for food giveaways to students as well as t-shirts and other swag giveaways to get more students at games this year. More-so than in year's past. All the big head cutouts and pool noodles (now not allowed because they're noisemakers according to the MW conference) were also purchased with those funds to enhance the entire student section and try to create an atmosphere that all students want to be a part of. Gloves, pom-poms, the cornstarch for the whiteout game ... all purchased by these funds at a benefit to the entire student section. The Committee also planned more watch parties, provided more food and even arranged for a bus to take students to the BYU football game this year. All things that were open to all students and aided by the funds raised from Premium memberships.

Some of the funds were used for Premium member t-shirts, membership cards and a few members-only events, but by and large the money raised from premium membership fees has been spent on enhancing the entire student section.

This is getting (really) long, so I'll finish up by simply saying that the HURD Committee and myself as the adviser are trying to do whatever it takes to fill up the student section. We will evaluate the Premium program. We've already sought feedback from members and will be surveying nonmember students as well. This is the inaugural year of the program and we will look for ways to improve it, as well as the student section as a whole. I'm happy to chat with any of you who would like to reach out and discuss the program or other ideas you have to increase student attendance. Despite what some may think, the HURD committee welcomes feedback and criticism – as long as it's more than simply, 'You suck.'

If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read. And hopefully you have a greater understanding of the program and its goals, which is simply to grow the die-hard student fanbase while enhancing the student-fan experience for all! Go Aggies!
I think Tim makes some valid points worth acknowledge, but their is some legitimate criticism brought up in this thread that needs to acknowledged.

The section behind the basket (particularly near the opposing team's bench) is the heart and soul of the student section. And it needs to be treated with almost scaredness.

The solution is actually relatively simple and it is that the Hurd Premium members and Hurd Committee members are banned from the section behind the basket. The section behind the basket needs to be reserved for the most rabid, die-hard, ferocious of Aggie fans. That kind of fervor cannot be purchased with a premium subscription. If some of the Hurd Premium or Committee members want that experience behind the basket, the solution there is that they wait with the other die-hards in the cold. I can already tell this post is going to be too long. So I'll just say there is real value in comraderie (sp), coordination and passion that is developed while waiting in the cold.

But what are they getting with the Hurd Premium subscription? Answer: Premium seats. Do me a favor, try and purchase tickets for literally ANY NBA game. Where are the most expensive? Midcourt. For EVERY SINGLE GAME.

I actually like the tight-knit group argument to help spread passion within the student section. I don't know if buying your way into this group is the best way, but for simplicity's sake, I'll buy it. I think this could be very valuable and I'm naive enough to think this will play a key role in bringing back the magic. However, the answer here once again is to keep the Hurd Premium and Committee out of the section behind the hoop. The student section needs more passion, intensity, coordination and commitment in every section ... EXCEPT THE SECTION BEHIND THE HOOP!!!! Even during the Duryea years, that was still the section where the natural diehards gravitated towards.

If the Hurd Premium and Committee members actually are a dedicated, passionate group that will work together with the rest of the student section, we need them on that section near midcourt (or if they're true role players, in the "connecting section" right behind the band to create a unified student section).

I don't think the Hurd Premium or Committee necessarily destroyed anything this year. But I truly believe the program is turning around and I could see this Premium subscription potentially being an obstacle in the rekindling of the Spectrum Magic once Coach Smith gets the program to where it needs to be.

CONCLUSION: Solution is simply banning the Hurd Premium and Committee members from the section behind the basket.

SIDE NOTE: I'd really like to see Hurd to devote funds to get students to the MW Tournament, possibly with buses. The conference tournament is where the March Madness Ticket is guaranteed and the Spectrum On Wheels was a real force in our Glory Years during the conference tournaments.
These users thanked the author USUaggienation for the post:
AggieWinz

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 18th, 2019, 10:21 pm

I know that Tim is a big usu fan from following him on Twitter, so I'm sure he's going to do what he thinks is best and is likely willing to listen.

I'm not sure the issue is the HURD. There just don't seem to be enough students willing to step up and be crazy and organize the crowd at the games. Imo you need at least two rows of people who are diehard. Otherwise it's just a few students being crazy. If it's two solid rows, everybody follows suit.

That said, if anybody gets in early, I'd prefer it to be some sort of incentive for how many athletics events you've attended. Go to a lot of football soccer basketball games? Get in early for the big games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
TheRealTO

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 18th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I do want to make clear, every complaint I have is more administrative issues. I have no problem with any individual Aggie fan. If you want to be on the front row and support the Aggies, HURD committee member or not, go ahead. I will never discourage a fan from cheering. Just how you got your seat or what not is where I would take issue.

GO AGGIES!

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » February 19th, 2019, 5:45 am

First thing that comes to my mind is I hate the idea of a "premium" membership for students to get better seats. I like having a premium that includes discounted tailgating, parking, concessions, etc. But I'm not a fan of letting people in before others as I feel the efforts students make to ensure a good seat should be rewarded.

That being said it's so easy to look at someone's idea after it's been implemented and find areas to criticize. So although I'm not a fan of the premium membership for seating, I've got to say kudos to Tim and those that saw a need and were willing to try to do something to bring back the home court advantage we have been spoiled with.

This isn't a solution by any means, but just an idea (feel free to rip it apart). What about offering incentives to any student who makes the effort to come to a game.

Here's my idea - allow students to "check in" online, or via an app, to a game a couple of days before the game.

As they check in there could be an incentive offered. Maybe one student checks in and they receive an alert that if they come they will receive a tshirt.

Other ideas for an incentive could be maybe there's four seats set aside on the front row that are reserved for the student and some friends. Also a student could get a notification that if they come they are selected to participate in a contest during a timeout or halftime. Or they could be allowed to go down on the floor during a giveaway and assist the cheer squad in throwing out mini basketballs or shirts. Maybe they win an opportunity to be the fan of the game and they are invited to meet the team briefly and stand at the tunnel as the team comes out. Movie tickets, food (pizza or a concessions credit), a week long parking pass in a premium lot, gas cards, Google or iTunes gift cards, etc.

I know some of the ideas are probably too basic and elementary for a college crowd, but maybe this could be built on. Maybe the Hurd could work to determine what these incentives would be.

So a student logs in a couple of days before the game and hopefully this helps to raise some awareness of when the games are scheduled. Then if they "win" an incentive they receive a text with a code and instructions on how to redeem. But the code/prize can only be redeemed if they come to the game.

I know some students may "win" but then not come. But if they don't make it to the game and scan their card within 15 minutes of game time their incentive could be reallocated to a student that is present.

Also for certain games a notification could go out letting students know it's a white-out, or if the team makes x-amount of points they will get free fries or a drink somewhere.

On the back end maybe they could track the students who come to the games and they earn points for coming to games if they were not selected for an incentive that game that will make them more likely to win at an upcoming game, and possibly a better prize.

I realize this would take money just as any other program would, but maybe some of the local businesses would be willing to sponsor a prize. Maverik gas card, restaurant gift card, a discount at a sporting goods store.

Perhaps there could also be a larger prize - like attend a practice, lunch with a coach that could be a drawing and if students are interested they pay like $5 to enter.

Obviously it wouldn't solve all attendance issues, but maybe help the casual fan to be more aware of when the games are and possibly get some new fans involved.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
TheRealTO

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 19th, 2019, 8:28 am

Looks like the future politicians of the world are being trained right here in the HURD.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 19th, 2019, 12:10 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 8:28 am
Looks like the future politicians of the world are being trained right here in the HURD.
I hope USU is helping them find more honorable ways to make a living - anything else.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 19th, 2019, 1:33 pm

This is a discussion that has needed to happen for quite some time and I'm glad to see this forum being used for this purpose. I've already voiced my opinion on the Hurd here more times than I can count so I won't rehash in detail. I will only say that as a a student I only knew the Hurd as the small club to which several so called "fans" belonged. The majority of the members were only interested in the free food, a local discount, or occasional small promo item given out for being a member. They were not made up of die-hard fans and did not attend games (or stay long if they did). They were sort of mocked by the student section and served as a punch line for the real die-hard fans.

It's crazy to me to not only refer to the entire student section as The Hurd (what would have been considered a slap in the face at one time) but to see what it that club has become. I'm not sure what the thought was behind a paid fee = premium seating when it is the student fees paid by all students that allow the 4k reserved basketball & 6k football seats to exist. Once there is a pay to play, pay to read, pay to participate, etc., model in place it creates a division - the haves and the have-nots. It is anything but unifying. There is a reason there is no paid content or "premium membership" here despite many offering to pay or donate toward such a thing.

Every time I hear or read about the reason things are done a certain way is because that is how someone else is doing it or that is how another school handles things, I just interpret that as being a follower. An arena and student section as great as the one we have had for decades should never be the follower - we are the ones others have tried to imitate. The organized chaos that we have come to know and love is suffocated because there is no creativity or true leadership. The have-nots are timid and afraid to step on the toes of the self appointed haves and instead look to them for cues of what is acceptable. Meanwhile the haves are busy maintaining their status by staking their claim to something that is certainly not theirs alone and neglecting the very reason they are gathered.

Lost in this whole thing is the biggest question: Where are all the students? If the Hurd Committee truly want to be leaders and the entire student body is supposedly The Hurd, then why are they not representing the entire student body in decision making? Why are they not gathering the entire student body for these events? I'm not buying the excuse that there is so much more to do or so many things competing for a student's time these days. Outside of slapping on a VR headset and losing yourself in some alter reality or texting your friend that is sitting next to you, the things to do in Logan are about the same as they always were.

I think there's been some great comments and suggestions already given and it would be even greater to see some of them implemented moving forward.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
Zaggie07ProvoAggiescotlandogtreesap32QuackAttackAggie

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

The "Hurd" is a dumb name.

There, I said it.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 4):
usufan1scotlandogtreesap32bigblue

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 19th, 2019, 3:13 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

There, I said it.
Agreed.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

It seems that the recurring theme here from many people is that the 15-minute early entry for a fee, and staking claim to premium seats because you have a badge on should be discontinued. That never happened when I was in school, nor would it have ever been tolerated. Hopefully the powers that be see the pattern and act accordingly. If not, I don't think their hearts are in the right place.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
NVAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 19th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Didn’t we used to at least call the first few rows behind the basket the bull pen? At least unofficially?

I also have never been a huge fan of the name “Hurd”. I’m no farmer but Big Blue is a bull. My understanding is that bulls don’t get places in herds. Steers do, and Big Blue is no steer. Big Blue is not a cow and BYU is for the heifers.

There is all what i think I know about bovine.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
AgMan21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 4:09 pm
Didn’t we used to at least call the first few rows behind the basket the bull pen? At least unofficially?

I also have never been a huge fan of the name “Hurd”. I’m no farmer but Big Blue is a bull. My understanding is that bulls don’t get places in herds. Steers do, and Big Blue is no steer. Big Blue is not a cow and BYU is for the heifers.

There is all what i think I know about bovine.
I will add that they taste good.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
TheRealTOImakeitrain

Ag-FAN
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ag-FAN » February 19th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Winning Team! Losing Team! Winning Team! Losing Team! Winning Team! Losing Team! Winning Team! Losing Team!

HURD Premium

Losers:
Premium Members: Paid $25 dollars to the HURD Committee on top of their $137 per semester student athletic fee. HURD Committee decides how to use their money to best entertain them in addition to non-premium students. Most don’t care enough to come 15 min. early to claim their 1st and 2nd row seats.

Early-Waiter Student-Fans: Shut down from waiting hours or days before games to get the seats they paid for with their $137 per semester student athletic fee.

USU Athletic Department: Appears incompetent for allowing a non-elected student committee/clique to arbitrarily change student seating and fee policies.

Winner:
HURD Committee: Don’t have to wait in line hours or days to get the best seats … can walk in 15 min. early and get the best seats in the house. Spend the $12,500 generated from Premium fees to fund activities and swag for: (1) themselves, (2) premium students, (3) regular students. Get to wear name tags to the games.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Suggestions for Tim Olsen, Braden Tomlinson and the HURD Committee:

(1) Get rid of the 15 minute early-entry-best-seat part of HURD Premium. You can have your club, pay your fees, do your stuff, but don’t screw with other student’s rightful seats.

(2) Get Taco Time involved to help sponsor a “Bean Brito Knight at the Spectrum” before a game. It could be outside in the parking lot so you don’t have to deal with the Spectrum concessions.

Go Aggies!

stang

Post by stang » February 19th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I echo the sentiments of many on this thread that the early entry of Hurd Premium members needs to stop. In fact, reserved seats in any way, shape or form need to stop. I'm a student who attends every game, and I strongly believe that if the "Hurd leadership" were to poll the full student section rather than the small echo chamber of those close to the committee, they would find that the students who go to games are overwhelmingly against this program as it currently exists.

For several years (up till this year when they changed the ticketing system). I would go and camp out for football tickets. Often I would show up Sunday around noon, spend my entire day there then camp out in the cold to get a ticket first thing in the morning. I always got front row because I knew how early to get there, but you know who else got front row? The Hurd committee members who NEVER camped out, but justified this by saying they had to be at the TSC early to pass out the tickets. Yeah. Many who showed up later but still camped out did not get the front row.

I don't care what you do for the committee, you are VOLUNTEERING your time (or in some cases even receiving scholarships/stipends). Having a name tag should not entitle you to a reserved seat. Ever.

Braden, as you said, you have several sports to take care of and you can't place your entire focus on men's basketball and football. I understand that. What I don't understand is how someone gets elected for a position like yours, or how someone gets a spot on your committee, without ever going to these other sporting events. I've been to softball games, and tennis matches, and volleyball games. Where were you guys?

In summary, the best seats should go to the most dedicated of fans. There's a very simple solution to this, and it's called "first come, first served." No saving seats. No reserved seats. No early entry.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
donlarson8sam tingey

3futureaggies

Post by 3futureaggies » February 19th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Maybe students that oppose premium should make themselves more visible. Name tags that say "Hi, my name is Aggie" would stand out on a blue GameDay shirt.
These users thanked the author 3futureaggies for the post:
bigblue

alaskanaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by alaskanaggie » February 19th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I feel like the school itself is trying too hard. Can we just go back to wearing blue every game?

Previously we had much more of meritocracy that worked better. The students were famous for their creativity, ruthlessness, and being really really loud. We had publications such as the refraction and bangerang that were great and student led. Sure I remember they had funding problems and such but they could go places that a school led publication could not.

We need to recreate the meritocracy. We need to create a situation where a student who's never been to game before could just show up early like the die hards and learn from them. Provide a new perspective. I remember making friends with people who sat behind the basket just because I showed up early. There was a camaraderie in being early. People were ordering pizzas and playing games of risk (We didn't have smart phones). The system now is exclusionary and prevents entry of new super fans. We basically created an elite class of students by payment of a small fee.
These users thanked the author alaskanaggie for the post (total 2):
donlarson8tysteve20

Aggie02

Post by Aggie02 » February 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm

WARNING, ANOTHER LONG POST:
Hey all,
Just to clarify.

1. HURD funds provided by students are not used for the HURD Committee in any way, and have to be approved by USUSA Leadership before being used.

2. The HURD does not receive reserved seating at Men's Basketball games, and has been specifically told, by myself, that in the past HURD members have had that "privilege" but that is not the case anymore. I told the committee from day one that, that will not be the case and that if they want front row then they will need to purchase the Premium with their own money. Again, if the HURD Committee wanted to have HURD Premium they needed to pay for it out of their own pocket, that includes myself and the Athletics VP. On a further note, the members who are presently on the committee had to each go through an application and interviewing process. I can say that 75% of the committee I did not know previously, nor did the current VP of Athletics. The 25% that I did know previously were HURD Committee members I worked with last year, who I knew really cared. We had over 100 applicants and conducted around 60 interviews. I wanted to make sure I only had people who were going to do the best jobs, and I can say they have. They work their tails off to promote and they have become my friends. Applications open at the end of this month, if you follow the HURD social media accounts you will see a post about open application for HURD President and HURD Committee. If you are a current student who wants to make a change I encourage you to apply!

3. HURD Premium needs revision, just like any pilot program, which is why I personally created a survey that will go out on all HURD social media asking questions regarding HURD Premium, HURD sponsored events, and Men's Basketball attendance. The survey will not be ready until the Monday after the Nevada game because I am reviewing the survey with Directors in Athletics, the HURD Committee, season ticket holders, & groups of students outside of the HURD Committee so that it can be as unbiased as possible. That can include any of you who would like to meet with me, email me and let's set up a time! bradentomlinson@gmail.com

4. I have attended every sport that has played at home this year, I have not attended every single last home game because I'm still a student and still have other responsibilities, but I love Aggie athletics! I applied and only came to this school because of the hype around the student section and that's what I lived and breathed for! When I was a Freshman here I went to a basketball game and was pumped to experience to Magic of the Spectrum. I came early, stood behind the right side of the hoop on the second row. The game started, and I began cheering and having a good time until three dudes on the front row turned around and told me I was a stupid freshman because I wasn't wearing blue, I didn't know I was supposed to, but regardless I felt uninvited and never returned, Fall 2016. I also had very poor interactions with the HURD Committee at that time, which sucked because that's why I came here, but I didn't feel welcomed. April 2017 came around and I saw HURD Committee applications go up, I had never been in student government before but I didn't like how I was treated and I wanted change. I applied and was accepted, Spring 2017. Last year the committee did better, however I still saw, in some ways, a sense of unfairness to students outside of the committee, so what did I do? I applied to be President, Spring 2018, because I believed I could help bring about unity, more fairness, and change for the better. Fast forward to the end of Summer 2018, HURD Premium had been mentioned to me a couple of times but not in great detail, it was released on social media. Both the new Athletics VP and myself didn't know that had happened, but it did and USUSA leaders had been creating it and over time, after much consideration and reviewing with different student groups, they released it. We promoted it. It filled up before the first Football game. Some Diehards had very strong concerns, and we met with them. Did I do a poor job responding to their concerns? Yes, I did, and I'm sorry goaggies95 and MT, I am truly sorry. I responded poorly because I was brand new to this role, I didn't know much about the product, but 500 students had paid for it and had been given their gear, cards, wristbands, and a promise. We couldn't disable a fully filled program based on a couple students who met with us, so we decided that we would roll it out and see how it would go over the year. Has it had problems? YES. Has it had successes? YES. That's why I created the survey and am reviewing it with many different groups of students before I post it, I want it to be fair. Anyone who knows me personally knows that I care, and want change for the better, including goaggies95, who is my friend, love you TL!

5. Anyone is welcome to come to our HURD Committee meetings. Just today we had season ticket holders come and we had a long discussion about how to get students to the final three home games. I was so glad they reached out and came because it improved my vision and the vision of the Committee. We now have a marketing strategy in place to hopefully get students out to watch the boys. Anyone is welcome, we meet Tuesdays at 6:30pm in the Senate chambers (third floor of the TSC). I just ask that you email me before hand so I can make sure to schedule time for our discussion with you, because you do deserve our time and attention.

Sorry for the long post but I'm not a politician and I haven't been in student government in the past. I was a student who saw that something wasn't right, so I took action to change it. Have I been perfect at it? Not even close. I have learned a lot as the HURD President since my meeting with goaggies95. I love Aggie athletics. I love USU. If you want something to change, which you do, then email me, student or non-student. I'd be happy to meet or talk over the phone. I'm the only Candidate for VP of Athletics and Campus Recreation, so if you want to voice your concern, please email me. I'm very serious about this and I will meet with you. So let's get on the same page and work on unifying each other as Aggie fans. Lets get butts in seats. bradentomlinson@gmail.com.
See you tomorrow at the game, Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author Aggie02 for the post (total 3):
AggieWinztysteve20donlarson8

sneed

Post by sneed » February 20th, 2019, 5:30 am

Not bad. Hope it works.

These users thanked the author sneed for the post:
donlarson8

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 20th, 2019, 5:54 am

I’ll be honest when the year started I thought the Hurd committee was a joke and privlaged. Right from the get go we reached out to Braiden to coordinate things better and we were shocked at the response that we got! They were super open to suggestions and went above and beyond what we suggested every time. From his post you can see that he cares and really does go above and beyond with suggestions.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
donlarson8

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 20th, 2019, 10:36 am

3000 for $3000

I like it. Hopefully it works. First game is tonight. I hope the word is getting out there so they don’t fail on the first game. If they fail are we doing a 3000 for $2000? 3000 for $1000? Keeping the carrot out there..

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » February 20th, 2019, 10:59 am

NM
Last edited by bleu on February 20th, 2019, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sneed

Post by sneed » February 20th, 2019, 11:00 am

I’ll steal a students seat tonight to help them out (too late to bring kids anyway). It’s been 9 years since I was a student. I miss it.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

There, I said it.
Exactly. It should be The "Heard."

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Jdav

Post by Jdav » February 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Aggie02 wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm
WARNING, ANOTHER LONG POST:
Hey all,
Just to clarify.

1. HURD funds provided by students are not used for the HURD Committee in any way, and have to be approved by USUSA Leadership before being used.

2. The HURD does not receive reserved seating at Men's Basketball games, and has been specifically told, by myself, that in the past HURD members have had that "privilege" but that is not the case anymore. I told the committee from day one that, that will not be the case and that if they want front row then they will need to purchase the Premium with their own money. Again, if the HURD Committee wanted to have HURD Premium they needed to pay for it out of their own pocket, that includes myself and the Athletics VP. On a further note, the members who are presently on the committee had to each go through an application and interviewing process. I can say that 75% of the committee I did not know previously, nor did the current VP of Athletics. The 25% that I did know previously were HURD Committee members I worked with last year, who I knew really cared. We had over 100 applicants and conducted around 60 interviews. I wanted to make sure I only had people who were going to do the best jobs, and I can say they have. They work their tails off to promote and they have become my friends. Applications open at the end of this month, if you follow the HURD social media accounts you will see a post about open application for HURD President and HURD Committee. If you are a current student who wants to make a change I encourage you to apply!

3. HURD Premium needs revision, just like any pilot program, which is why I personally created a survey that will go out on all HURD social media asking questions regarding HURD Premium, HURD sponsored events, and Men's Basketball attendance. The survey will not be ready until the Monday after the Nevada game because I am reviewing the survey with Directors in Athletics, the HURD Committee, season ticket holders, & groups of students outside of the HURD Committee so that it can be as unbiased as possible. That can include any of you who would like to meet with me, email me and let's set up a time! bradentomlinson@gmail.com

4. I have attended every sport that has played at home this year, I have not attended every single last home game because I'm still a student and still have other responsibilities, but I love Aggie athletics! I applied and only came to this school because of the hype around the student section and that's what I lived and breathed for! When I was a Freshman here I went to a basketball game and was pumped to experience to Magic of the Spectrum. I came early, stood behind the right side of the hoop on the second row. The game started, and I began cheering and having a good time until three dudes on the front row turned around and told me I was a stupid freshman because I wasn't wearing blue, I didn't know I was supposed to, but regardless I felt uninvited and never returned, Fall 2016. I also had very poor interactions with the HURD Committee at that time, which sucked because that's why I came here, but I didn't feel welcomed. April 2017 came around and I saw HURD Committee applications go up, I had never been in student government before but I didn't like how I was treated and I wanted change. I applied and was accepted, Spring 2017. Last year the committee did better, however I still saw, in some ways, a sense of unfairness to students outside of the committee, so what did I do? I applied to be President, Spring 2018, because I believed I could help bring about unity, more fairness, and change for the better. Fast forward to the end of Summer 2018, HURD Premium had been mentioned to me a couple of times but not in great detail, it was released on social media. Both the new Athletics VP and myself didn't know that had happened, but it did and USUSA leaders had been creating it and over time, after much consideration and reviewing with different student groups, they released it. We promoted it. It filled up before the first Football game. Some Diehards had very strong concerns, and we met with them. Did I do a poor job responding to their concerns? Yes, I did, and I'm sorry goaggies95 and MT, I am truly sorry. I responded poorly because I was brand new to this role, I didn't know much about the product, but 500 students had paid for it and had been given their gear, cards, wristbands, and a promise. We couldn't disable a fully filled program based on a couple students who met with us, so we decided that we would roll it out and see how it would go over the year. Has it had problems? YES. Has it had successes? YES. That's why I created the survey and am reviewing it with many different groups of students before I post it, I want it to be fair. Anyone who knows me personally knows that I care, and want change for the better, including goaggies95, who is my friend, love you TL!

5. Anyone is welcome to come to our HURD Committee meetings. Just today we had season ticket holders come and we had a long discussion about how to get students to the final three home games. I was so glad they reached out and came because it improved my vision and the vision of the Committee. We now have a marketing strategy in place to hopefully get students out to watch the boys. Anyone is welcome, we meet Tuesdays at 6:30pm in the Senate chambers (third floor of the TSC). I just ask that you email me before hand so I can make sure to schedule time for our discussion with you, because you do deserve our time and attention.

Sorry for the long post but I'm not a politician and I haven't been in student government in the past. I was a student who saw that something wasn't right, so I took action to change it. Have I been perfect at it? Not even close. I have learned a lot as the HURD President since my meeting with goaggies95. I love Aggie athletics. I love USU. If you want something to change, which you do, then email me, student or non-student. I'd be happy to meet or talk over the phone. I'm the only Candidate for VP of Athletics and Campus Recreation, so if you want to voice your concern, please email me. I'm very serious about this and I will meet with you. So let's get on the same page and work on unifying each other as Aggie fans. Lets get butts in seats. bradentomlinson@gmail.com.
See you tomorrow at the game, Go Aggies!
Keep up the good work man! You guys will get it. I will second that Braden has been super responsive and supportive of our groups suggestions for Aggie games. This Hurd Premium thing def wasn’t his idea but as the Hurd president he has an obligation to see it through. But this kid works hard! And will make the needed adjustments

See you all late tonight. Go Aggies!!
These users thanked the author Jdav for the post:
donlarson8

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 20th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Glad to see that the Hurd president is hearing the concerns which are pretty much limited to the 15-minute early entry part of premium

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

donlarson8

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 20th, 2019, 10:01 pm

I don’t think there is 3000 but it was definitely a better turnout. Hope yew can keep up and get more students out.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
donlarson8

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 20th, 2019, 10:03 pm

scotlandog wrote:Image

I don’t think there is 3000 but it was definitely a better turnout. Hope yew can keep up and get more students out.

Couldn't make the game tonight, but the crowd seems loud tonight over the TV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 20th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Students seemed to have a great time tonight. Hopefully they come back and bring some friends.

Ag4life

Post by Ag4life » February 20th, 2019, 11:47 pm

I was at the game tonight and in the second half, the students finally picked it up and we’re more in sync. I was slightly disappointed in the lack of coordination. I feel like they need a few really good leaders that everyone knows to turn to for direction. So many times they I heard several different free-throw chants and the very beginning before getting it together. I’d also like to see a little more personal attacks and banter towards the opposing team.

While we are ‘picking’ on the students, I don’t think theyre anywhere near as bad as the season ticket holders comparing to years past. When New Mexico was shooting foul shots away from the students, I’d say 80-90% of the fans behind the basket didn’t even acknowledge the shooter. No hands moving. No yelling. Just sitting in their seat like they were in church. The decline of student attendance is one thing, but at least those that are there are cheering. I can’t say the same about the others.

Anyway, this is a fun team to watch and I wish we could just bring back the crowd of old to cheer them on like they really deserve.
These users thanked the author Ag4life for the post:
donlarson8

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm

It was sad to see the paying crowd not show up for a great team.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm

bigblue wrote:
scotlandog wrote:Image

Couldn't make the game tonight, but the crowd seems loud tonight over the TV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It was good. Best game this year for sure. Lot of fun.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » February 21st, 2019, 11:21 am

Ag4life wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 11:47 pm
I was at the game tonight and in the second half, the students finally picked it up and we’re more in sync. I was slightly disappointed in the lack of coordination. I feel like they need a few really good leaders that everyone knows to turn to for direction. So many times they I heard several different free-throw chants and the very beginning before getting it together. I’d also like to see a little more personal attacks and banter towards the opposing team.

While we are ‘picking’ on the students, I don’t think theyre anywhere near as bad as the season ticket holders comparing to years past. When New Mexico was shooting foul shots away from the students, I’d say 80-90% of the fans behind the basket didn’t even acknowledge the shooter. No hands moving. No yelling. Just sitting in their seat like they were in church. The decline of student attendance is one thing, but at least those that are there are cheering. I can’t say the same about the others.

Anyway, this is a fun team to watch and I wish we could just bring back the crowd of old to cheer them on like they really deserve.
I don't know if I'm just not a team player, but I always disliked too much coordination. For the main cheers and jeers, I think it's great, but in the end I think the students should be more individualistic thus fostering a more creative atmosphere. And the students need to go back to more of the regular "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH" noise making when the Aggies are on defense if a cheer isn't going on. There needs to be constant noise. That's just my two cents.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
scotlandog

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 21st, 2019, 11:57 am

What song were they all trying to sing last night? I like when they are on the same page for at least some noise. Noise in general after big plays last night was much better and it’s great they appreciate Bean.

tysteve20

Petition to Stop Hurd Premium

Post by tysteve20 » February 21st, 2019, 12:47 pm

They sing “if your winning and you know it clap your hands *clap clap*” then “if your losing and you know it clap your hands *point at opposing teams bench*”

It’s pretty funny when the whole student section is on board. But more often then not its scattered and there are students clapping during the losing portion as well.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 21st, 2019, 12:54 pm

They should skip the winning and you know it part. Just do losing and point to the opposing bench every time. Then everyone knows to never clap for that.

It's best to do that chant right after they get a big play (like an And-1) when the bench is on their feet. And I think that is precisely when they've been pulling it out.
donlarson8

Locked Previous topicNext topic