Millers shooting woes

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiebravado
Been thanked: 0

Millers shooting woes

Post by aggiebravado » February 21st, 2019, 12:39 am

I really don't usually post things as I enjoy reading comments instead. However is it me or is Miller a horrible shooter? I see him jacking up 3's from all over the place with little success. 1for 9 vs the Lobo's and a total of 3 points. Why does coach Smith put up with such dismal results?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

USUBlue
13=13

Re: Millers shooting woes

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 12:43 am

Miller is a good shooter in terms of technique, but he is far too streaky to be effective. When I played and coached, I learned that the best way to cure a streaky shooter was to get inside with easier shots, rebounds and put backs. Those things bring confidence. Brock should get to the basket more, rebound more, and get more steals / layups. Just my opinion.
These users thanked the author USUBlue for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieAngusAgsam tingey

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 21st, 2019, 12:45 am

I think Blue is spot on. I'd love to Miller drive it more. It would really open house game up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 21st, 2019, 12:53 am

I think Brock should follow Sam’s lead and get to the FT line when the 3s aren’t falling. There are several times that he gets a man jumping out at him with a pump fake where he could easily step into for the foul but instead he steps to the side.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 1:03 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:53 am
I think Brock should follow Sam’s lead and get to the FT line when the 3s aren’t falling. There are several times that he gets a man jumping out at him with a pump fake where he could easily step into for the foul but instead he steps to the side.
Yup, Brock doesn't love contact -- it shows in his rebounding and lack of foul shooting.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 1:18 am

Shooters. Keep. Shooting.

We lose @NM and @Fresno without Brocks shooting

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 1:25 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:18 am

Yes, but when they become too inconsistent too often, they start hurting the team. Three points is not enough from him given that he took 11 shots. He needs to find this confidence and that doesn’t come from just shooting the same shots, it comes from being more involved in other aspects of the game. Brito doesn’t always shoot well, but the other things he does in terms of rebounding and getting to the basket help. I’m excited by Brock, but he needs to become a more balanced player on the offensive side, Not just a three point shooter
These users thanked the author USUBlue for the post:
NVAggie

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 1:29 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:25 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Yes, but when they become too inconsistent too often, they start hurting the team. Three points is not enough from him given that he took 11 shots. He needs to find this confidence and that doesn’t come from just shooting the same shots, it comes from being more involved in other aspects of the game. Brito doesn’t always shoot well, but the other things he does in terms of rebounding and getting to the basket help. I’m excited by Brock, but he needs to become a more balanced player on the offensive side, Not just a three point shooter
People were just fine with Newbold. Miller has been streaky for sure, but his ability to knock down shots is something we dont have a lot of on the team outside of Sam. Coach will continue to give him the green light to shoot his way out of it, because we need him to in order to reach our potential as a team.

Maybe he doesn't need to take 9 3's if hes off, but the point is he has to shoot his way out of the funk.

Also someone on here said Brock is getting over the flu the past couple of weeks, so its possible hes still got a bit of that lingering

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 1:37 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:29 am
USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

People were just fine with Newbold. Miller has been streaky for sure, but his ability to knock down shots is something we dont have a lot of on the team outside of Sam. Coach will continue to give him the green light to shoot his way out of it, because we need him to in order to reach our potential as a team.

Maybe he doesn't need to take 9 3's if hes off, but the point is he has to shoot his way out of the funk.

Also someone on here said Brock is getting over the flu the past couple of weeks, so its possible hes still got a bit of that lingering
That shoot your way out of a slump logic is poor logic. Under that same logic, Ainge should keep shooting, Brown should shoot a lot more, maybe Knight should start taking a bunch of three point shots. The bottom line is, Brock needs to take better shots, and get to the basket more. When he does that, his three point shooting will become more consistent also

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 1:47 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:37 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:29 am
USUBlue wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

That shoot your way out of a slump logic is poor logic. Under that same logic, Ainge should keep shooting, Brown should shoot a lot more, maybe Knight should start taking a bunch of three point shots. The bottom line is, Brock needs to take better shots, and get to the basket more. When he does that, his three point shooting will become more consistent also
They aren't shooters. What do you not get about "Shooters. Keep. Shooting"? I thought you knew basketball?

Miller was a highly rated recruit, offered by several big programs (Scholarship! Not a walk on Blue!), who has clearly shown the ability to hit the 3 ball. Before his recent slump (likely attributed to the flu bug he got), he was 34 for 76 from 3 in conference play over our first 10 games (45%). Even after his slump he is still at 38% from 3 in conf. play

Shooters keep shooting. End of story.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 21st, 2019, 7:40 am

For a shooter like Miller, I don't think 10 or so shots a game is too many. When he breaks out of his funk and starts hitting a few more everyone will be able to relax a little. He's still just a freshman and since he had to sit out last year he didn't get to experience "the freshman wall." Slumps happen, legs get tired but this is big boy basketball and Miller has to find his way out of the funk. Luckily we have a top notch coaching staff that will get things right with him again.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » February 21st, 2019, 8:05 am

Miller definitely forces up one or two bad shots a game, but the spacing he provides is invaluable even when he's having an off night. This team is light on offensive weapons so he is probably carrying a little too much of a burden, but I'd chalk up the bad nights to variance. We'll see a 7/10 night soon--hopefully against Nevada.

providencealum

Post by providencealum » February 21st, 2019, 8:17 am

I feel like most of his shots last night were not bad shots. They were good open looks, just not falling. I say keep shooting, and they will start to fall.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » February 21st, 2019, 8:20 am

Didn’t Smith say on the coach’s show that that’s exactly what his role is?

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » February 21st, 2019, 8:23 am

Miller = Freshman. He'll get better. He obviously shoots those shots because the coaching staff told him to and if he passed up those shots he'd be sitting on the pine. The big difference between miller and brown, ainge, knight, etc. Is that Miller is the only one of those four that the coaches have given the green light to shoot no matter what. When brown or any of the others (minus ainge, bless his soul) starts taking I'll-advised threes, they're on the bench on the next dead ball.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
TrueBlue

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 21st, 2019, 8:25 am

My most disliked trite basketball sayings:

“They wanted it more than we did”
“It was their Superbowl”
“It is difficult to beat a team three times in the same season”
“A win is a win”
“We beat ourselves”
“Shooters need to keep shooting”

Here is how Miller ranks on the team (12 players) in all games:
2-point shooting %: 11th
3-point shooting %: 8th
Effective FG%: 9th
Game score (rating of overall productivity): 7th
Player efficiency ((production) - (missed shots + TO)/# games)): 5th
WIN (an attribution of the player’ contribution to the team’s success): 8th

The player on the teams whose stats are most similar overall to Miller’s is Dwayne Brown and Brown leads Miller in pretty much every category.

Having said all this, Brock is critical to the team’s success. Whether he makes his shot or not he is helping to spread the floor. But here’s a prediction, if he continues over the next four games the shooting slump that he has maintained over the last four games, we will do no better than 1-3.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 21st, 2019, 8:33 am

utaggies wrote:My most disliked trite basketball sayings:

“It was their Superbowl”
“A win is a win”
“We beat ourselves”

The player on the teams whose stats are most similar overall to Miller’s is Dwayne Brown and Brown leads Miller in pretty much every category.

Having said all this, Brock is critical to the team’s success. Whether he makes his shot or not he is helping to spread the floor. But here’s a prediction, if he continues over the next four games the shooting slump that he has maintained over the last four games, we will do no better than 1-3.
I can’t remember what exactly he did but when smith yanked Brown in the first half he was not happy with him at all. Seemed like he basically told him to go sit at the end of the bench and stay there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » February 21st, 2019, 8:36 am

The Aggies are going to need Miller to be hot in March to make a run. Between now and next season I hope the young man can improve his ball handling and overall offensive game.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 21st, 2019, 8:59 am

He was taking open shots. I had no issue with it. If he was making poor shot selection, then I'd have an issue. Keep shooting Brock.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » February 21st, 2019, 11:01 am

Is it okay to agree with both sides? Shooters do need to keep shooting but he needs to find ways to score other than jack up nine 3’s a game. Pump fake and get fouled, absorb contact at the rim, pull up from mid-range. Brock is capable of averaging 15 ppg if he does those things. I don’t think Blue wants him to shop shooting. I think the point Blue was making is that if he does other things offensively it will get him into a rhythm during the game rather than waiting a couple of games for him to get hot again from 3.

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » February 21st, 2019, 11:03 am

Although Brock’s shooting has been off the last couple of games, I like that he is not hanging his head. He also looks like he is doing a lot more on defense to make up for his lack of offense at this time.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 21st, 2019, 11:21 am

UStateTim wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 11:01 am
Is it okay to agree with both sides? Shooters do need to keep shooting but he needs to find ways to score other than jack up nine 3’s a game. Pump fake and get fouled, absorb contact at the rim, pull up from mid-range. Brock is capable of averaging 15 ppg if he does those things. I don’t think Blue wants him to shop shooting. I think the point Blue was making is that if he does other things offensively it will get him into a rhythm during the game rather than waiting a couple of games for him to get hot again from 3.
This. Blue makes good points and so does MJA. Brock was taking good shots last night, outside of 1 or 2 quick triggers. But he needs to learn that when he starts out slow he has to try something different to get the confidence going. He really did keep the floor spread well, even if it wasn't falling.

My prediction is both Miller and Merrill are going to put in the time this week to get that performance out of their systems and we'll see them hitting at Taco Bell.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 21st, 2019, 11:54 am

The only thing that sort of bugs me about the Miller situation is the double standard that there seems to be with him and certain other players (namely Brown). There's not a lot of difference between Brown driving to the rim and getting an offensive foul and Miller jacking up another missed 3. Both are still possessions that result in no points. Brown does it once and is yanked while Miller can do it 14 times in a game and stays out there. At least Brown is willing to mix it up in the paint, work for rebounds and steals, and is valuable in the transition game in the open court. Maybe it is a little unfair to compare someone who is more of a 3 and someone that is more of a 4 but it is obvious that Miller wants no part of the paint, is not comfortable with contact, is not a banger or willing to mix it up like Taylor, Brown, Brito, or Bean, and is rarely involved in the quick transition game.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » February 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:03 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Yup, Brock doesn't love contact -- it shows in his rebounding and lack of foul shooting.
Could this be because he is hurt in some way? Just speculation but the guy runs like he has a corn cob stuck up his butt. Does he have back issues that make him not want to be fouled?

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 21st, 2019, 12:12 pm

A couple of his shots last night were forced. Let's face it...he's a chucker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_6DrImXMY

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 12:28 pm

UStateTim wrote:
This ^^ Miller has to keep shooting; it allows for the spacing necessary on the floor. But he can also slash to the basket a little more (i.e.; Merrill and Brito), he can go get an offensive rebound (i.e.; Brito and Merrill), etc. Brock's a good player and needs to shoot, but not just 3's, he's got more than just 3's in him.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 12:30 pm

BioAggie wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 11:58 am
USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:03 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Could this be because he is hurt in some way? Just speculation but the guy runs like he has a corn cob stuck up his butt. Does he have back issues that make him not want to be fouled?
He's always run like that even in AAU and High School. I don't know if he's got back issues; I've never asked him or his dad that question, and they've never indicated anything was wrong.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » February 21st, 2019, 12:39 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:28 pm
UStateTim wrote:
This ^^ Miller has to keep shooting; it allows for the spacing necessary on the floor. But he can also slash to the basket a little more (i.e.; Merrill and Brito), he can go get an offensive rebound (i.e.; Brito and Merrill), etc. Brock's a good player and needs to shoot, but not just 3's, he's got more than just 3's in him.
Agree, but I have yet to see that part of his game and therefore I'm not convinced he is more than a spot up shooter. The few times I remember him attempting to get to the basketball didn't end well. His is a Freshman so I expect he will become more consistent and develop more parts of his game.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 8:25 am

“It was their Superbowl”
“A win is a win”
“We beat ourselves”

Brock is the only one who can shoot 3s in volume besides Sam. In fact they have the same number of 3s, Sam has made 9 more this season. Brock is shooting 38% from 3 in conference play with 39 3s to lead the team.

The point of shooters keep shooting is so that players don't let variance and cold streaks make them hesitant or second guess, THAT is what will kill us if Miller stops taking shots all together or starts taking shots after hesitating or thinking about it. He spaces the floor, demands a defender, and can get a tough shot up over a defender if the shot clock is running down. No one else can do that besides Sam and maybe Porter lately (Brito is a set shooter who needs to be open more or less).

Brock can't lose his confidence now, he is too crucial to us meeting our max potential as a team. That's why we say shooters keep shooting.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 11:54 am
The only thing that sort of bugs me about the Miller situation is the double standard that there seems to be with him and certain other players (namely Brown). There's not a lot of difference between Brown driving to the rim and getting an offensive foul and Miller jacking up another missed 3. Both are still possessions that result in no points. Brown does it once and is yanked while Miller can do it 14 times in a game and stays out there. At least Brown is willing to mix it up in the paint, work for rebounds and steals, and is valuable in the transition game in the open court. Maybe it is a little unfair to compare someone who is more of a 3 and someone that is more of a 4 but it is obvious that Miller wants no part of the paint, is not comfortable with contact, is not a banger or willing to mix it up like Taylor, Brown, Brito, or Bean, and is rarely involved in the quick transition game.
Miller never turns the ball over, one of the lowest TO per minute guys in the country. He plays team ball, hustles, plays solid if unspectacular defense. Plus we dont really have any other options, we have Taylor and Bean ahead of Brown. I think Brown will get another chance to come up big for us one of these games, but he needs to learn to play under control or else Smith will continue to take him out quickly since Bean is demanding more PT anyway

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 12:50 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm
utaggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 8:25 am

“It was their Superbowl”
“A win is a win”
“We beat ourselves”

Brock is the only one who can shoot 3s in volume besides Sam. In fact they have the same number of 3s, Sam has made 9 more this season. Brock is shooting 38% from 3 in conference play with 39 3s to lead the team.

The point of shooters keep shooting is so that players don't let variance and cold streaks make them hesitant or second guess, THAT is what will kill us if Miller stops taking shots all together or starts taking shots after hesitating or thinking about it. He spaces the floor, demands a defender, and can get a tough shot up over a defender if the shot clock is running down. No one else can do that besides Sam and maybe Porter lately (Brito is a set shooter who needs to be open more or less).

Brock can't lose his confidence now, he is too crucial to us meeting our max potential as a team. That's why we say shooters keep shooting.
I agree with that statement MJA. He's important to our team, but Brito is clearly playing better overall so Brock needs to make a much higher percentage of his shots than lately. Also, most of us agree with you, but you don't need to continue to spin stats -- Brock's play this year is a SEASON effort, you don't need to spin only the conference games to make your point.

I've known Brock for probably 15 years (I have a son who played against Brock's older brother), he's got a lot more to his game than just shooting 3's. He needs to show that also, just like Brito does.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 21st, 2019, 12:56 pm

It's not really spinning stats. The dude started a thread on Brocks recent performance, 4 game sample is a better example of spinning stats if anything. I'm just using the most recent 14 game sample against conference competition because it is relevant to the discussion. I also dont think Brock was fully healthy to start the season (was seen in a walking boot multiple times). So if someone wants to ask why Miller gets to keep playing/shooting after a cold 4 game stretch, why wouldnt I come back and mention the immediately previous 10 games he was shooting 45% from 3 and leading the team in 3s made?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 1:07 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 12:56 pm
It's not really spinning stats. The dude started a thread on Brocks recent performance, 4 game sample is a better example of spinning stats if anything. I'm just using the most recent 14 game sample against conference competition because it is relevant to the discussion. I also dont think Brock was fully healthy to start the season (was seen in a walking boot multiple times). So if someone wants to ask why Miller gets to keep playing/shooting after a cold 4 game stretch, why wouldnt I come back and mention the immediately previous 10 games he was shooting 45% from 3 and leading the team in 3s made?
OK fair enough. I'm a big Brock fan, but he has more to his game and sometimes he gets too 3 focused IMO.

BTW, Brock wasn't missing by much and has a great stroke. I also like how he elevates on his shot.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:07 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
OK fair enough. I'm a big Brock fan, but he has more to his game and sometimes he gets too 3 focused IMO
Brock drives all of us nuts. He has big time talent, but Brock's lack of small forward instincts (which is what he is best at) keeps him from being at Sam Merrill's level. Brock would score so many points if he played physical and got 2s and FTs with some 3s.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 21st, 2019, 1:18 pm

SLB wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm
USUBlue wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:07 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
OK fair enough. I'm a big Brock fan, but he has more to his game and sometimes he gets too 3 focused IMO
Brock drives all of us nuts. He has big time talent, but Brock's lack of small forward instincts (which is what he is best at) keeps him from being at Sam Merrill's level. Brock would score so many points if he played physical and got 2s and FTs with some 3s.
Yup

Locked Previous topicNext topic