That was close

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

That was close

Post by SLB » February 23rd, 2019, 4:14 pm

First off, Boise State shot a whooping 48% on 3 pointers, and they shoot 34.5 % on 3s for the season.
Merrill, Miller, and Porter lead us to victory. Queta did enough to help out, but he struggled, Taylor and Bean were non-factors.
Porter had 16 points which is a career high. Porter went 7-7 on FTs and led a 6-0 run at one key point in the game.
Merrill had 21 in the first half then disappeared then reappeared in time.
Miller was clutch in OT.

scotlandog

Re: That was close

Post by scotlandog » February 23rd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Holding Boise to 3 pts in OT. Awesome defense to close the game out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLB

Post by SLB » February 23rd, 2019, 4:37 pm

Porter scored 11 points in the 2nd half, and Porter made 2 more in OT.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » February 23rd, 2019, 4:39 pm

Pretty good D most of game Jessup made 3 good plays at end. BSU would put mini runs together because of TO and us clanking shots.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 23rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

SLB wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 4:14 pm
Taylor and Bean were non-factors.
Hard to be a factor in the game when you never get in. Anyone know where Bean was today?

bpd

Post by bpd » February 23rd, 2019, 4:50 pm

As good as Bean was on Wednesday, he was that bad today, a non factor. Didn't do anything offensively and got beat off the dribble on the defensive end. That is why he didn't play.

fivejazzfans

Post by fivejazzfans » February 23rd, 2019, 5:03 pm

Happy for the win. I was impressed with BSU's smothering perimeter defense. There were very few clean looks at the basket. Were it not for BSU's inability to shoot FT's and avoid turn over's we would been crushed.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 23rd, 2019, 5:07 pm

Nevada beat Boise State in Boise on a 3 pointer with 4 seconds left in the game.
Boise State came as close as possible at beating the top teams in the MWC.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 23rd, 2019, 5:15 pm

bpd wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 4:50 pm
As good as Bean was on Wednesday, he was that bad today, a non factor. Didn't do anything offensively and got beat off the dribble on the defensive end. That is why he didn't play.
To be fair Alston was just a bad matchup for us all night. Taylor had an awful game too.

Boise was effective against our post guys. I'm surprised Brown didn't get more run with Taylor and Bean struggling

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » February 23rd, 2019, 5:29 pm

Good point on Brown. Not sure if I think he would have helped, but, it’s possible.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 23rd, 2019, 5:30 pm

SLB wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 4:14 pm
Queta did enough to help out, but he struggled,
I am going to call a huge BS on this statement. Did you see the shot tracker when they showed Boise shooting 3/15 within 5 feet of the basket. That is the Queta factor, and even if he was being denied on offense, that is incredible when those are usually high percentage shots.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggiesneed

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 23rd, 2019, 5:37 pm

Queta seemed sluggish today. Teammates we’re handing him liquids, encouraging him, patting his back while he appeared winded. I’m speculating he was sick, and yet he still made a notable difference.
Last edited by Pacobag on February 23rd, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 23rd, 2019, 5:39 pm

Pacobag wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 5:37 pm
Queta seemed sluggish today. Teammates we’re handing him liquids, encouraging him, patting his back while he appeared winded. I’m speculating he was sick.
There was a lack of offensive rebounds and scoring from Queta, so I believe that could have been what happen.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » February 23rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

Pacobag wrote:
Queta seemed sluggish today. Teammates we’re handing him liquids, encouraging him, patting his back while he appeared winded. I’m speculating he was sick, and yet he still made a notable difference.
Yes, coach stated after the game that Queta is getting over the flu.

Where only sage brush grows

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 23rd, 2019, 5:54 pm

SLB wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 5:39 pm
Pacobag wrote:
Queta seemed sluggish today. Teammates we’re handing him liquids, encouraging him, patting his back while he appeared winded. I’m speculating he was sick.
There was a lack of offensive rebounds and scoring from Queta, so I believe that could have been what happen.
I’ve noticed the last couple games Quetta has been slow to run the court after a defensive rebound or block. He seems to be tired. It is the dog days of February, as Stew would call it.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 23rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

nswaggie wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 5:54 pm
SLB wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
I’ve noticed the last couple games Quetta has been slow to run the court after a defensive rebound or block. He seems to be tired. It is the dog days of February, as Stew would call it.
I worry about our legs in this final stretch with us playing essentially an 8 man rotation, and specifically Queta, Merrill, and Porter logging heavy minutes. It’s not like we play a relaxing style either. Gonna be a tough final 3 games and tournament.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 23rd, 2019, 6:33 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 6:02 pm
nswaggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
I worry about our legs in this final stretch with us playing essentially an 8 man rotation, and specifically Queta, Merrill, and Porter logging heavy minutes. It’s not like we play a relaxing style either. Gonna be a tough final 3 games and tournament.
Agreed, Merrill never even went to the bench. It would be nice to get some good minutes from TK, Bean, and Brown down the stretch and in the early games of the conference tournament.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 23rd, 2019, 6:38 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
Provided we don’t completely fall apart we should get an extra day of rest due to the bye at the MW tourney.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 23rd, 2019, 6:41 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 6:38 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
Pacobag wrote:

Provided we don’t completely fall apart we should get an extra day of rest due to the bye at the MW tourney.
We get an extra bye since we have no game at the end of the season.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 6:38 pm
We also end the season on a bye. We finish the season on 3/5 while the other 10 teams in the conference play 3/9.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

We are are guaranteed a first round bye as well in the conference tournamnet. We play on Tuesday 3/5 and will not play again until Thursday the 3/14. There will be plenty of time during those 8 days to get rested up.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 23rd, 2019, 7:07 pm

If anything too much time. I think coach will have them ready.

sneed

Post by sneed » February 23rd, 2019, 7:42 pm

Just rest after the season is over.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 25th, 2019, 10:37 am

I agree with many of the observations made here. Had this game not gone our way I was ready to chalk this one up to the coaches. Don't get me wrong, they have been brilliant to this point, but I thought this was the first game where coaching decisions with personnel on the court were a glaring weakness. There's been other games where I thought the staff got caught "watching" or "cheering" during the game a bit too much and not being aware of match ups or playing time for certain players. but it's never turned out to be an issue because those games were not close.

In this one though, I did not care for the shortened rotation with so few minutes going to Brown and Bean. Especially when it was more than obvious that Taylor and Miller were struggling so badly. I don't know what Miller did/does in comparison to Bean and Brown to demand so many minutes but coach certainly does love giving him minutes no matter how he is playing. While Miller wasn't as awful as he has been recently, he wasn't so stellar that he should demand 39 minutes of play either.

It was awesome to see Porter have a career day, his play has really helped pick us up at some critical times this season. That being said, I have to wonder if not having T Knight play any minutes at all will come back to haunt us at some point. I would like to see the staff develop someone else at the PG spot. What would we look like right now if it were swapped and TK was given the same minutes as Porter all season at PG? It obviously depends on if TK would have developed the same confidence in the system and experienced the game slowing down to him as a freshman but I also think his ceiling is much higher than Porters.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Aglicious wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 10:37 am
I agree with many of the observations made here. Had this game not gone our way I was ready to chalk this one up to the coaches. Don't get me wrong, they have been brilliant to this point, but I thought this was the first game where coaching decisions with personnel on the court were a glaring weakness. There's been other games where I thought the staff got caught "watching" or "cheering" during the game a bit too much and not being aware of match ups or playing time for certain players. but it's never turned out to be an issue because those games were not close.

In this one though, I did not care for the shortened rotation with so few minutes going to Brown and Bean. Especially when it was more than obvious that Taylor and Miller were struggling so badly. I don't know what Miller did/does in comparison to Bean and Brown to demand so many minutes but coach certainly does love giving him minutes no matter how he is playing. While Miller wasn't as awful as he has been recently, he wasn't so stellar that he should demand 39 minutes of play either.

It was awesome to see Porter have a career day, his play has really helped pick us up at some critical times this season. That being said, I have to wonder if not having T Knight play any minutes at all will come back to haunt us at some point. I would like to see the staff develop someone else at the PG spot. What would we look like right now if it were swapped and TK was given the same minutes as Porter all season at PG? It obviously depends on if TK would have developed the same confidence in the system and experienced the game slowing down to him as a freshman but I also think his ceiling is much higher than Porters.
I pretty much agree with this take. It was clear in the second half that Boise figured us out. We have nobody that can beat the D off the dribble. I think Brown can, but for some reason he wasn't playing. Basically, our inability to create off the dribble almost cost the game. Luckily Able and Diogo threw up prayers that were answered... and Boise missed free throws. This showed up in the Nevada game as well earlier in the season. I know the coaching staff thinks we can be real good next year, but if we are going to be, we need some quicker players.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 25th, 2019, 1:25 pm

bpd wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm
I know the coaching staff thinks we can be real good next year, . . .
So do I.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic