I've been watching USU basketball for 50 years...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

I've been watching USU basketball for 50 years...

Post by OKAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm

... and I don't remember a player making as much progress during the season as Abel Porter. Remember the first of the season, when he was getting a few minutes spelling Ainge, sharing time with Tauriawn Knight and JKIII. I thought he was better than Ainge, but I still got nervous when he had extended minutes.

Now, it's amazing how much confidence he has handling the ball, breaking the press, shooting from outside, and nutting up on defense. He's very Rich McElrath-like, or Kris Clark-esque. I do not worry about him, at all.

Great coaching, great attitude, great effort. Love that kid.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 8):
ThunderAggieTrueBlueCodingAggieBlueaggies22918AGGChicAggieFullBill_George

Nobody here knows anything.

Winning Team

Re: I've been watching USU basketball for 50 years...

Post by Winning Team » February 26th, 2019, 10:31 pm

I think its the confidence that He and the coaching staff have given him. He plays against more athletic, bigger, and stronger guards every game but He plays tougher than them. Love this kid.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Smith promised us we’d notice our players all getting better year by year. That has proven prophetic.

Brito and Porter are excellent examples of this.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:34 pm

OKAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm
... and I don't remember a player making as much progress during the season as Abel Porter. Remember the first of the season, when he was getting a few minutes spelling Ainge, sharing time with Tauriawn Knight and JKIII. I thought he was better than Ainge, but I still got nervous when he had extended minutes.

Now, it's amazing how much confidence he has handling the ball, breaking the press, shooting from outside, and nutting up on defense. He's very Rich McElrath-like, or Kris Clark-esque. I do not worry about him, at all.

Great coaching, great attitude, great effort. Love that kid.
I have not been following Aggie basketball for near that long, but his development has been amazing, especially for just one season. Being a walk on, no one had expectations for him. I expected him to get passed by JK3 or TK and eventually get limited minutes, mainly in blowout wins. This was true for the first few games, as it seemed like he would be our 3rd or 4th option, but it seemed like once he started getting more playing time, his confidence skyrocketed. He keeps getting better each game and seems poised bringing the ball up and even shooting some clutch 3 pointers and free throws. Ever since the buzzer beater vs New Mexico, he has been playing consistently at a high level. He is peaking at the perfect time and will be crucial in the conference tourney and hopefully the NCAA tourney!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 26th, 2019, 10:45 pm

I’ve been watching Aggie basketball for nearly fifty years and I don’t remember a team that plays as hard from start to finish as this one. They are RELENTLESS and I think they just suck the will to live out of their opponents.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
aggies22

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » February 26th, 2019, 10:58 pm

54 yrs. since age 8

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 27th, 2019, 12:01 am

bluegrouse wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:45 pm
I’ve been watching Aggie basketball for nearly fifty years and I don’t remember a team that plays as hard from start to finish as this one. They are RELENTLESS and I think they just suck the will to live out of their opponents.
Like I said...

These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

SLB

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2019, 12:20 am

I haven't watch as long as most of you. I see the same thing, and Porter, Bean, Brito, and etc. stats reflect this.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 27th, 2019, 7:46 am

It may not be popular opinion but early in the season the question was who were we going to find in the late recruiting period to start at PG. Abel has proven he can play the spot night in and night out against the best that the Mountain West can throw at him. Let Abel have the job, he's damn sure earned it!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Bill_George

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » February 27th, 2019, 7:51 am

As his junior Jazz coach, I will take the credit..... :sarcasm:

but my favorite play of his was the trash talking he gave the dude when he hit the three and he let him have it.....
I wish I knew what he said, that was priceless in my book

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » February 27th, 2019, 8:18 am

Totally agree w/ your take, @sammyhagar. I jumped right on the Porter train after he drained that 3 and immediately stared down the dude who had been harassing him until that moment...then continued to yell in his direction all the way back down the floor. Kid has some fire.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 27th, 2019, 9:19 am

Love Porter, but I hope next year he develops a little more in the scoring department next year.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 10:34 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:34 pm
I expected him to get passed by JK3 or TK and eventually get limited minutes, mainly in blowout wins.
Get passed by JK3 and TK? I assumed he would start out WAY BEHIND JK3 and TK, and that gap would widen as the season wore on. I would have been surprised if he even got Tann Tueller-type minutes. I thought those minutes would be reserved for Ainge.

I have been watching Aggie basketball for 40 years (first game I attended was during the 1978-79 season), and I would have to say perhaps the FOUR biggest surprises out of Aggie players during my years of watching Aggie basketball fan have all come this season:

1. Abel Porter going from walk-on and presumed end-of-the-bench player to a scholarship MWC-caliber starting PG over the course of a single season. Kudos to Porter for putting in the effort and developing the confidence to become a true MWC-level starting PG. I have no qualms at all with him on the floor, breaking the press, and taking it into the paint. Sure he might make an occasional mistake or get his shot swatted down low, but look at these conference numbers: he leads the team in A/TO ratio (2.35), he leads the team in Assists/40 (5.1), he leads the team in Assists/100 POSS; of anyone who takes more than two 3-pointers per game, he leads the team in 3P% (.444), and he is +12.7 in NetRtg. He is not going to be All Conference, but the progress and turn-around he has made over the course of this season is truly remarkable. He and Coach Smith deserve a TON of credit.

2. Justin Bean going from another unknown walk-on and presumed end-of-the-bench player to becoming arguably one of our three most valuable energy players and regular GATA belt award recipient as our very own version of Dennis Rodman or Chris "Birdman" Andersen.

3. Neemias Queta as a late-season recruit who I thought would be FAR more likely to be another Modou Niang than an almost a certain lock to be a future NBA player and probable MWC Freshman of the Year. He already has the defensive prowess and foot skills as a freshman to suggest he could develop into a hybrid of Patrick Ewing and Dikembe Motumbo.

4. Diego Brito who played like a walk-on last season who should be recruited over (negative NetRtg, negative plus/minus, terrible PER) turning into our MVP 6th Man (+16.2 NetRtg, +4.6 plus/minus, 15.7 PER). Brito plays with an energy and enthusiasm that are infectious, and his ball-handling skills have allowed Smith to use him to spell Porter when TK and Ainge have been ineffectual. He has been HUGE.

All in all, a season of pleasant surprises. ABSOLUTELY outstanding job, Coach Smith!!!
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 4):
Dkdavisaggies22PacobagJSHarvey

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 27th, 2019, 11:01 am

ChicAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 10:34 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
I expected him to get passed by JK3 or TK and eventually get limited minutes, mainly in blowout wins.
Get passed by JK3 and TK? I assumed he would start out WAY BEHIND JK3 and TK, and that gap would widen as the season wore on. I would have been surprised if he even got Tann Tueller-type minutes. I thought those minutes would be reserved for Ainge.

I have been watching Aggie basketball for 40 years (first game I attended was during the 1978-79 season), and I would have to say perhaps the FOUR biggest surprises out of Aggie players during my years of watching Aggie basketball fan have all come this season:

1. Abel Porter going from walk-on and presumed end-of-the-bench player to a scholarship MWC-caliber starting PG over the course of a single season. Kudos to Porter for putting in the effort and developing the confidence to become a true MWC-level starting PG. I have no qualms at all with him on the floor, breaking the press, and taking it into the paint. Sure he might make an occasional mistake or get his shot swatted down low, but look at these conference numbers: he leads the team in A/TO ratio (2.35), he leads the team in Assists/40 (5.1), he leads the team in Assists/100 POSS; of anyone who takes more than two 3-pointers per game, he leads the team in 3P% (.444), and he is +12.7 in NetRtg. He is not going to be All Conference, but the progress and turn-around he has made over the course of this season is truly remarkable. He and Coach Smith deserve a TON of credit.

2. Justin Bean going from another unknown walk-on and presumed end-of-the-bench player to becoming arguably one of our three most valuable energy players and regular GATA belt award recipient as our very own version of Dennis Rodman or Chris "Birdman" Andersen.

3. Neemias Queta as a late-season recruit who I thought would be FAR more likely to be another Modou Niang than an almost a certain lock to be a future NBA player and probable MWC Freshman of the Year. He already has the defensive prowess and foot skills as a freshman to suggest he could develop into a hybrid of Patrick Ewing and Dikembe Motumbo.

4. Diego Brito who played like a walk-on last season who should be recruited over (negative NetRtg, negative plus/minus, terrible PER) turning into our MVP 6th Man (+16.2 NetRtg, +4.6 plus/minus, 15.7 PER). Brito plays with an energy and enthusiasm that are infectious, and his ball-handling skills have allowed Smith to use him to spell Porter when TK and Ainge have been ineffectual. He has been HUGE.

All in all, a season of pleasant surprises. ABSOLUTELY outstanding job, Coach Smith!!!
Solid post my Aggie brother!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 2:04 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

That’s a great list. The first three would have to be three of mine also. Brito, I think he was always basketball smart and has the right size, I’m not surprised by his abilities, just grateful that Smith can get them out.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:04 pm
That’s a great list. The first three would have to be three of mine also. Brito, I think he was always basketball smart and has the right size, I’m not surprised by his abilities, just grateful that Smith can get them out.
While Brito may have shown some occasional flashes of being a "solid" bench player last season, he had an overall negative impact on the court (negative NetRtg, negative Plus/Minus, lowest WinShares of any player over 300 minutes) and he was borderline terrible as a freshman (-21.1 NetRtg, -2.4 Plus/Minus, lowest Win/Shares on the team, lowest PER on the team). In neither his freshman nor sophomore season did he look anywhere near the super sub he has been this season. This year he has been terrific at times and has made as big a leap forward as anyone on the team.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 27th, 2019, 2:44 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm
USUBlue wrote:
While Brito may have shown some occasional flashes of being a "solid" bench player last season, he had an overall negative impact on the court (negative NetRtg, negative Plus/Minus, lowest WinShares of any player over 300 minutes) and he was borderline terrible as a freshman (-21.1 NetRtg, -2.4 Plus/Minus, lowest Win/Shares on the team, lowest PER on the team). In neither his freshman nor sophomore season did he look anywhere near the super sub he has been this season. This year he has been terrific at times and has made as big a leap forward as anyone on the team.
I agree -- I call his freshman year the Duryea Effect. I watched many short videos when he was playing on the Portugal team and while I know those are highlight based, his court awareness, passing, defense, and shooting technique were evident. I wasn't one of those calling him out last year -- I could see potential. Unfortunately Duryea had a brand of ball that required "individual" ability to create shots, which is not Brito's game.

IdAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by IdAggie » February 27th, 2019, 8:06 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

Agreed - Amazing what a high level coaching staff that is very positive and empowers young athletes can accomplish!

If someone had mentioned at the beginning of the season that Porter, Bean and Brito would log significant minutes....I would have said we finish at the bottom of the conference. Well done by both coaches and players!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 27th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I love the intensity and energy this team plays with. This team doesn't take plays off. If you score on this team, it requires serious work as SDSU found out last night. He has improved the skill level of individual players, but getting them to play as hard as they do has also maximized what they can do on the floor. I love Bean, but I don't know if other coaches would have got out of him what we have been seeing.

Loved the Todd call in last night. I have always enjoyed his calls because he is articulate and brings up good points. However, he usually was pretty negative. Last night he had nothing but positive things to say about the team. Good time to be an Aggie.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 28th, 2019, 2:22 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 2:22 pm
USUBlue wrote:
This. I was terrified whenever Brito was on the court last year. For every good thing he did he would do 3-5 bad things. This year is the complete opposite, and mostly since conference play. He may make a mistake at times, but then he'll do 3-5 great things to make up for it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic