Dixie State to play BYU in Football

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
DixieAggie
Has thanked: 0

Dixie State to play BYU in Football

Post by DixieAggie » February 28th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Dixie State just schedule byu to play them in football in 2022, do you think BYU's transition to FCS football will be complete bye then? :joking:

These users thanked the author DixieAggie for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

ViAggie

Re: Dixie State to play BYU in Football

Post by ViAggie » February 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm

DON'T LAUGH! In the future, I bet Dixie will be able to schedule a 2-fur with the zoobs :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Full

Post by Full » February 28th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Honestly, I would rather USU play Dixie State (assuming they are FCS) than Stony Brook or Tennessee Tech.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
ProvoAggie

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 28th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Full wrote:Honestly, I would rather USU play Dixie State (assuming they are FCS) than Stony Brook or Tennessee Tech.
It's a possibility now that they are moving up. To which I agree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » February 28th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Never thought I'd have a reason to cheer for Dixie State.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 28th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Full wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 7:23 pm
Honestly, I would rather USU play Dixie State (assuming they are FCS) than Stony Brook or Tennessee Tech.
I know I am probably in the minority on this, but I actually liked getting out of the rotation of Southern Utah/ Weber State/ Idaho State and playing Stony Brook and Tennessee Tech. Just as I get excited to see new basketball opponents each year we haven't seen before. Of course, I would also like seeing us play Dixie for a first time!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » February 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm

DixieAggie wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 3:46 pm
Dixie State just schedule byu to play them in football in 2022, do you think BYU's transition to FCS football will be complete bye then? :joking:

The Big Sky Conference has 11 full members, and two affiliate members for football, giving an unbalanced 13 team football conference. It would be a win-win for the BYU-P Tigers to come in as the 14th team.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 1st, 2019, 12:25 am

I know many people don't even know where Stony Brook is let alone are excited for the game but considering about 100 kids from my graduating HS class went there... I'm beyond excited

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » March 1st, 2019, 6:25 pm

LKGates wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 11:58 pm
DixieAggie wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 3:46 pm

The Big Sky Conference has 11 full members, and two affiliate members for football, giving an unbalanced 13 team football conference. It would be a win-win for the BYU-P Tigers to come in as the 14th team.
I thought I told you guys no, I go to a Big Sky school, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM ME

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 1st, 2019, 7:05 pm

Dixie State joins the WAC in 2020. Will be independent FCS.

I expect we will play Dixie State a lot in hoops and will schedule them in football as well, just like BYU. It will be cheaper than Weber, will give us a cupcake and we get more variety than ISU, Weber or SUU every other year.

I also enjoy playing schools like Tenn Tech. Variety.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » March 2nd, 2019, 12:20 am

I am surprised that in 2019, a university would think of adding an FCS program, or moving up to FCS. IMHO a terrible financial decision. Attendance is dropping at football all around the country. Even Alabama is starting to see empty seats in its student section. Only a small number of public universities which sponsor D1 football actually have football programs which make money, or at least break even. Most of them are a major financial drain. I like football, a lot. And I am very glad USU competes at the FBS level and is having some success in recent years. But the attendance trend with collegiate athletics is quite clear, and when combined with all of the health concerns about the effects of football, I fear we will see a very different environment within a few generations. Honestly, if I were deciding where to invest money for a university right now, I would focus more on the e-sports programs. I think it is silly, and I do not get the allure, but it is a growing trend. I have a couple of kids who think e-sports is the greatest thing in the world.

Regarding playing FCS schools, I do like breaking out of the trend of Weber, SUU, and Idaho State. But Stoney Brook and Tennessee Tech do nothing for me. I'd love to see other Big Sky schools. Bring in Northern Arizona, Montana State, or even bring in Idaho occasionally.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 6th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Going FCS, they get more ticket revenue, they build some interest and can sell more apparel. More students are attracted to attend, they get money games in football, money games in basketball, share revenue with a bigger conference, can build regional basketball rivalries with NMSU, UVU and Grand Canyon..

On the expenses side, much of it will remain somewhat the same. Some costs will rise due to more people attending games and more scholarships.

But what no one ever considers with sports is that sports attracts students. If it weren’t for Jaycee Carroll and Aggie basketball when I visited I’d probably be a sun devil or a Dukes (not to be confused with the blue devil). Maybe I’d have stayed at home and went to George Mason.

Sports are far more important to a school than the programs direct CAFR (financial statements) will tell you.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 7th, 2019, 10:30 am

It won't be long before we start scheduling Dixie State as well.

Locked Previous topicNext topic