Camp Spectrum......it’s begun

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheRealTO

Re: Camp Spectrum......it’s begun

Post by TheRealTO » March 1st, 2019, 3:29 pm

rAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 9:23 am
Hit up @TheRealTO on Twitter and let him know you insist these campers get premium seating consideration. KC Smurthwaite responded on Twitter saying that it is his (and the Hurd Committee's) decision.
No need to find me on Twitter. You can just as easily hit me up here.

Also, just an FYI, the HURD Committee delivered hot chocolate to everyone who was camped out last night. At the time of the delivery the majority of those camped out are also HURD Premium members.

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 1st, 2019, 4:05 pm

Ok neighbor TO. I’m bringing breakfast Give me a count estimate. 100-300 ? I ordered 100. Easy to upgrade You do hot chocolate Funtime

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 1st, 2019, 4:14 pm

buckfever wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 4:05 pm
Ok neighbor TO. I’m bringing breakfast Give me a count estimate. 100-300 ? I ordered 100. Easy to upgrade You do hot chocolate Funtime
I know my crew will be visiting the campers again tonight. I'll get an estimate and get back to you Buck. Thanks for all you do! :thanks:

Full

Post by Full » March 1st, 2019, 4:40 pm

Just got passed by the Nevada bus in Bountiful. Go Aggies!

Winning Team

Post by Winning Team » March 1st, 2019, 4:59 pm

Anyway to know when the Nevada bus will pull up so we can drape the banner?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 5:13 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 3:29 pm
At the time of the delivery the majority of those camped out are also HURD Premium members.
That could be an awkward confrontation when the guy opening the doors starts walking the line of tents and the people just behind them like the village cryer yelling: "Those of you in HURD Premium, come to the front of the line to take your rightful place among the blue bloods with early access."

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » March 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:13 pm
TheRealTO wrote:
At the time of the delivery the majority of those camped out are also HURD Premium members.
That could be an awkward confrontation when the guy opening the doors starts walking the line of tents and the people just behind them like the village cryer yelling: "Those of you in HURD Premium, come to the front of the line to take your rightful place among the blue bloods with early access."
If this occurs it will be like the apology #2

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » March 1st, 2019, 5:38 pm

pablohoney wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm
Will the good Captain Craig F. Smith tweet his mother about this encampment of Aggie soldiers?
Dearest Mother -

My men are not the only ones preparing to face the Wolfpack Army. The militia known locally as the Hurd begun its muster this past Thursday. They are a legendary force whose ferocity will surely bolster the defenses of Fort Spectrum.

- Craig

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » March 1st, 2019, 5:42 pm

I guess Coach Smith asked them to not drape the banner or make a big deal when Nevada arrives tonight. He said Musselman is a good coach and would use it to motivate his team.

Maybe the surprise of the full Spectrum will be greater if they don’t get a preview?

Bulls On Parade

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » March 1st, 2019, 5:48 pm

Socrates2121 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:42 pm
I guess Coach Smith asked them to not drape the banner or make a big deal when Nevada arrives tonight. He said Musselman is a good coach and would use it to motivate his team.

Maybe the surprise of the full Spectrum will be greater if they don’t get a preview?
I'd like to think that the surprise of the full Spectrum will basically create the fog-of-war feeling in the psyche of Nevada players.

stang

Post by stang » March 1st, 2019, 5:48 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:
Hit up @TheRealTO on Twitter and let him know you insist these campers get premium seating consideration. KC Smurthwaite responded on Twitter saying that it is his (and the Hurd Committee's) decision.

Also, just an FYI, the HURD Committee delivered hot chocolate to everyone who was camped out last night. At the time of the delivery the majority of those camped out are also HURD Premium members.
The majority, sure. I want to know what will happen to those who are not a part of HURD premium. Will there be students who spent a night or two camping out in the cold who will be pushed back because of HURD premium students that show up a couple hours before tip-off?

Also, I haven't heard anything about this, and it seems to have gotten better this season. But please, please tell me there aren't any seats reserved for "HURD leadership"

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 1st, 2019, 6:21 pm

stang wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 5:48 pm
TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:

The majority, sure. I want to know what will happen to those who are not a part of HURD premium. Will there be students who spent a night or two camping out in the cold who will be pushed back because of HURD premium students that show up a couple hours before tip-off?

Also, I haven't heard anything about this, and it seems to have gotten better this season. But please, please tell me there aren't any seats reserved for "HURD leadership"
I can confirm that myself and the current Athletics VP and HURD President have worked hard to eliminate any sort of seat saving for HURD Committee members as was an issue in the past. There are about 12 seats saved during football season (6 front row, 6 second row) for the members who are involved with pre-game setup and are unable to wait in line for their seats (they're also in charge of the large flag that is run up the middle of the student section), but that is not the case for basketball.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 6:26 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 6:21 pm
I can confirm that myself and the current Athletics VP and HURD President have worked hard to eliminate any sort of seat saving for HURD Committee members as was an issue in the past. There are about 12 seats saved during football season (6 front row, 6 second row) for the members who are involved with pre-game setup and are unable to wait in line for their seats (they're also in charge of the large flag that is run up the middle of the student section), but that is not the case for basketball.
What about HURD Premium members that show up after the campers that aren't HURD Premium?

My side projects:

stang

Post by stang » March 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I’m very glad to hear that, and I appreciate the efforts you’ve made to make sure that’s how things run

As far as my other question goes, it seems that by not answering it you’ve answered it. It makes me sick to think that there are going to be students camping out in the cold just to sit behind all the HURD premium members who show up right before doors. Maybe it hasn’t caused much issue throughout the season because attendance has been low, but this is the exact issue many have brought up time and time again with HURD premium.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
TrueBlue

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 1st, 2019, 7:10 pm

I hear there will be bacon.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 1st, 2019, 7:17 pm

I'm hear at the camp out, we had a Nevada come by and take a look at the line of tents about an hour ago. He seemed very impressed even with our small number of tents

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 1st, 2019, 7:31 pm

FromLItoLogan wrote:I'm hear at the camp out, we had a Nevada come by and take a look at the line of tents about an hour ago. He seemed very impressed even with our small number of tents
A Nevada what? Fan, Coach, Player, Reporter, Spy?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm

usufan1 wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 7:31 pm
FromLItoLogan wrote:I'm hear at the camp out, we had a Nevada come by and take a look at the line of tents about an hour ago. He seemed very impressed even with our small number of tents

I like spy.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 1st, 2019, 8:07 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm
usufan1 wrote:

I like spy.
We asked him who he was and he said incognito.

Also our group has made sure that everyone who has been here for the last night and tonight has a wrist band. We’ll send in half our group to make sure everyone can go in that camped out before people who show up on Saturday. It’s the last game and this most likely won’t be around next year.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
donlarson8

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 1st, 2019, 8:10 pm

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 1st, 2019, 8:12 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 8:07 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 7:40 pm
usufan1 wrote:

I like spy.
We asked him who he was and he said incognito.

Also our group has made sure that everyone who has been here for the last night and tonight has a wrist band. We’ll send in half our group to make sure everyone can go in that camped out before people who show up on Saturday. It’s the last game and this most likely won’t be around next year.
Was this the man? :)

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 1st, 2019, 8:17 pm

buckfever wrote: Who else out there can bust a nut and bring a big tankard of hot cocoa with cups
Image I did not realize this is how hot cocoa was made

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post:
usufan1

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm

Cocoa nut😉
These users thanked the author buckfever for the post:
Zaggie07

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 1st, 2019, 8:36 pm

Ok camp spectrum. How about my griddle with French toast and flapjack pancakes at 8 am or so?
T.O how many mouthes do we feed

buckfever
RIP

Post by buckfever » March 1st, 2019, 8:49 pm

Soldiers , camp spectrum serving 8 AM breakfast some sausage will be served. But can’t afford enough for all. So be fiercely strong. Bacon will be served inside the Spectrum

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » March 1st, 2019, 9:56 pm

I would say there’s around 50 people here tonight or less. Snow has scared some people off. I could be wrong though.

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 1st, 2019, 10:08 pm

buckfever wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 8:36 pm
Ok camp spectrum. How about my griddle with French toast and flapjack pancakes at 8 am or so?
T.O how many mouthes do we feed
Most recent update I've heard is around 50. Thanks for all you do!

TheRealTO

Post by TheRealTO » March 1st, 2019, 10:16 pm

stang wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 6:43 pm
TheRealTO wrote:
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I’m very glad to hear that, and I appreciate the efforts you’ve made to make sure that’s how things run

As far as my other question goes, it seems that by not answering it you’ve answered it. It makes me sick to think that there are going to be students camping out in the cold just to sit behind all the HURD premium members who show up right before doors. Maybe it hasn’t caused much issue throughout the season because attendance has been low, but this is the exact issue many have brought up time and time again with HURD premium.
Not ignoring you. I've just been busy overseeing the pep rally on campus for the past couple hours. There is a HURD Premium line that will open at 5:15, 15 minutes before the rest of the doors open, as has been the case all season. Whether they camp out or not, Premium members can get in.

Last summer when we launched the program, we omitted one game from early-entry for Premium members. That was the Air Force football game, because that was the game where we had our annual campout on the Quad and anyone who camps out gets early entry. We attempted to set up an official campout for this game and got told no. With that in mind, we couldn't just remove the early-entry benefit from the 500 students who paid for it with no warning.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 10:30 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:16 pm
Not ignoring you. I've just been busy overseeing the pep rally on campus for the past couple hours. There is a HURD Premium line that will open at 5:15, 15 minutes before the rest of the doors open, as has been the case all season. Whether they camp out or not, Premium members can get in.

Last summer when we launched the program, we omitted one game from early-entry for Premium members. That was the Air Force football game, because that was the game where we had our annual campout on the Quad and anyone who camps out gets early entry. We attempted to set up an official campout for this game and got told no. With that in mind, we couldn't just remove the early-entry benefit from the 500 students who paid for it with no warning.
I think we can all sympathize with wanting to honor the agreements made when instituting this ill-advised program. I just seriously hope that this program gets that axe as soon as humanly possible. I think that quite a few of us have reached out to administration to express severe displeasure and disgust with how this has panned out, with this game being the exact scenario that we all expected to come to fruition.

It is unfortunate you aren't willing to even send an email out to those 500 people to try and get a consensus that at least for this game (which is hopefully the last major USU home sporting event to ever have a pay to play system like HURD Premium) they would allow all campers, regardless of HURD Premium status, to have first seat selection.

My side projects:

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » March 1st, 2019, 10:47 pm

Bad karma coming our way if those who earned the best seats don't have the opportunity to get the best seats. Spectrum Magic has been predicated on passion, not on payment.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post (total 5):
jpswensenProvoAggieTrueBluedonlarson8bigblue

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm

cdaAg wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:47 pm
Bad karma coming our way if those who earned the best seats don't have the opportunity to get the best seats. Spectrum Magic has been predicated on passion, not on payment.
I agree. I don't know why I feel so upset about this, as this is the sort of stuff I would usually call someone out for acting like a SJW. However, here is the email I just sent to the AD, Director of Ticket Operations, ASUSU President, and ASUSU Athletics VP:
To whom is may concern,

During the tail end of the basketball season, it became aware to a lot of Aggie alumni and Aggie sports fans that this year there was instituted a program called HURD Premium that gave special access to sporting events to those who were willing to pay additional money above and beyond the athletic fees already included in matriculation fees. It has become a hot topic of both derision and mockery lately on the most prominent USU fan site, USUFans.com. Timothy Olsen can fill you in more as he has been explaining, and sometimes defending, the program there. The most salient opposition to the HURD Premium program has been voiced by those of use who used to, during our undergraduate years at USU, spend hours waiting/camping to have the privilege to occupy those seats that are closest to the game and where our Aggie fandom was often bordering on inappropriate, but always effective (pre The Apology).

This criticism of the program has become even more pronounced this week as dozens of students have decided to camp out to get into the game with Nevada, perhaps the most important basketball game in the last decade of Aggie basketball. While it appears that many of those students who are camping out are part of the HURD Premium pay-to-play system, there are also many that are not. I find it distasteful that these people without HURD Premium status who have been camping out to get into the game first, some since Thursday, will be leapfrogged in line by ANY HURD Premium participant who shows up 15 minutes before the gates regularly open tomorrow.

Now, I am not a big voice in the Aggie athletics community. I live 10 hours away and usually make about 1 game ever 1-2 years. I am still struggling to pay off loans from my PhD program and tell myself I will be an Aggie sports and engineering donor once that comes to pass (hopefully in another 4 years). However, there are voices at USUFans.com who are donors, season ticket holders, and octogenarian Aggie fans who have had children, grandchildren, and great-granchildren attend USU who think the creation of HURD Premium was an immense mistake. I seriously hope that you will take action immediately to remedy the situation for the immediate case of this important game tomorrow. I also hope you take the opinions seriously of many who lived through former years of Spectrum Magic who hope to see it again, and our belief that HURD Premium is detrimental to that end goal. We are no longer students, and not longer governed by ASUSU, but we will always be Aggies.

Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 3):
LarryTheAggiecdaAgtreesap32

My side projects:

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:16 pm
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:

There is a real simple solution here. Let everyone that camped out in 15 minutes early, with the premium members. If there are 50 people camping and most are hurd premium members, then letting in the other 10 or 20 should not be a big deal. Everyone wins that way.

If students that are not hurd premium members, but camped out, do not get a chance at the best seats there will be am uproar, and rightfully so.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieAggie_in_Idaho

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 1st, 2019, 11:06 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 11:00 pm
cdaAg wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 10:47 pm
I agree. I don't know why I feel so upset about this, as this is the sort of stuff I would usually call someone out for acting like a SJW. However, here is the email I just sent to the AD, Director of Ticket Operations, ASUSU President, and ASUSU Athletics VP:
To whom is may concern,

During the tail end of the basketball season, it became aware to a lot of Aggie alumni and Aggie sports fans that this year there was instituted a program called HURD Premium that gave special access to sporting events to those who were willing to pay additional money above and beyond the athletic fees already included in matriculation fees. It has become a hot topic of both derision and mockery lately on the most prominent USU fan site, USUFans.com. Timothy Olsen can fill you in more as he has been explaining, and sometimes defending, the program there. The most salient opposition to the HURD Premium program has been voiced by those of use who used to, during our undergraduate years at USU, spend hours waiting/camping to have the privilege to occupy those seats that are closest to the game and where our Aggie fandom was often bordering on inappropriate, but always effective (pre The Apology).

This criticism of the program has become even more pronounced this week as dozens of students have decided to camp out to get into the game with Nevada, perhaps the most important basketball game in the last decade of Aggie basketball. While it appears that many of those students who are camping out are part of the HURD Premium pay-to-play system, there are also many that are not. I find it distasteful that these people without HURD Premium status who have been camping out to get into the game first, some since Thursday, will be leapfrogged in line by ANY HURD Premium participant who shows up 15 minutes before the gates regularly open tomorrow.

Now, I am not a big voice in the Aggie athletics community. I live 10 hours away and usually make about 1 game ever 1-2 years. I am still struggling to pay off loans from my PhD program and tell myself I will be an Aggie sports and engineering donor once that comes to pass (hopefully in another 4 years). However, there are voices at USUFans.com who are donors, season ticket holders, and octogenarian Aggie fans who have had children, grandchildren, and great-granchildren attend USU who think the creation of HURD Premium was an immense mistake. I seriously hope that you will take action immediately to remedy the situation for the immediate case of this important game tomorrow. I also hope you take the opinions seriously of many who lived through former years of Spectrum Magic who hope to see it again, and our belief that HURD Premium is detrimental to that end goal. We are no longer students, and not longer governed by ASUSU, but we will always be Aggies.

Go Aggies!
what are the email addresses?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 1st, 2019, 11:08 pm

My side projects:

stang

Post by stang » March 1st, 2019, 11:10 pm

TheRealTO wrote:
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
stang wrote:
TheRealTO wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I understand the predicament you’re in, but it’s one which could have very easily been foreseen when planning the Hurd premium program. I hope that this situation will be viewed as proof that the program needs major reform.

How do you make the Spectrum special again? You don’t. It just happens.

A poor college student who already spends a stupid amount of student fees towards athletics should not be penalized for not wanting to spend an extra $25 for special status.

There are probably a special, select group of freshmen out there who were not only willing to pay for premium, but were so on top of things that they got in on it before they even began school. But what about the rest? What about the freshman who didn’t care much about Aggie basketball when they got to USU, but saw how incredible and fun this team is, and would love to sit in the heart of the student section for the biggest home game in a decade?

Too damn bad. Have fun sitting behind the guy who has been to two games the whole season and who got there at 5:15.

Locked Previous topicNext topic