The Apology, Part II?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGZILLA

The Apology, Part II?

Post by AGGZILLA » March 4th, 2019, 10:23 am

My guess is that the footage from CBSSN and the Nevada camera crew is being dissected, as we speak, for any touching by our fans, however incidental, and will be exaggerated to the umpteenth degree by the media. Hartwell’s hand will then be forced to make an apology on behalf of the fans’ behavior, the second in the past decade.

Hopefully this doesn’t drive the students from attending future games as the first apology did.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

MrBiggle

Re: The Apology, Part II?

Post by MrBiggle » March 4th, 2019, 10:34 am

I doubt it. See Ahybe’s posts.

Where only sage brush grows

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 4th, 2019, 10:36 am

The rushing the court "incident" was talked about a little bit on CBS yesterday. A direct quote from one of the bogus talking heads on CBS: "we really need to get control of this, because someone could get killed during a court storm." It's not like our fans took old, rusty farm equipment down to the court to use in hand-to-hand combat against Caroline. Even if they did, he'd still be able to defend himself rather easily...

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that more people have been killed from actually playing the game of basketball than from storming the court (or being stormed on).

And I'll be nice and leave football completely out of this...

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 4th, 2019, 10:40 am

MrBiggle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:34 am
I don’t think you understand. Apologies are very important in our current enlightened world.

I’m sorry, by the way.
These users thanked the author justinmorrey for the post:
MrBiggle

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 4th, 2019, 10:52 am

justinmorrey wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:40 am
MrBiggle wrote:
I don’t think you understand. Apologies are very important in our current enlightened world.

I’m sorry, by the way.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 4th, 2019, 11:16 am

This administration isn't apologizing for anything that happened Saturday, you can bet on that.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » March 4th, 2019, 11:31 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:52 am
justinmorrey wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

I’m sorry, by the way.
I sincerely apologize I made you feel sorry. I take full responsibility for my actions. Please don't Twitter mob me or dox me.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 4th, 2019, 11:34 am

justinmorrey wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 11:31 am
aggiesdotcom wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:52 am
justinmorrey wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

I’m sorry, by the way.
I sincerely apologize I made you feel sorry. I take full responsibility for my actions. Please don't Twitter mob me or dox me.
Too late MessageBoardMarty, your information is out there and you'll be losing your job soon.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 4th, 2019, 3:10 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:23 am
My guess is that the footage from CBSSN and the Nevada camera crew is being dissected, as we speak, for any touching by our fans, however incidental, and will be exaggerated to the umpteenth degree by the media. Hartwell’s hand will then be forced to make an apology on behalf of the fans’ behavior, the second in the past decade.

Hopefully this doesn’t drive the students from attending future games as the first apology did.
I could have gone the rest of this season without someone again referencing “the apology” as some kind of blight on USU’s administration or on our attendance. Some AD’s still have the good judgement to apologize when student actions cross the line at sporting events.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 927847002/

As to Albrect’s apology in 2011, it was warranted. Just like with the Indiana students, the USU students crossed the line with signs saying, “Welcome Back Brandon from your fornication probation", “Brandon, congrats for the sex!”, together with their accompanying chants.

As to “the apology” driving student attendance down, two years after Albrecht’s letter USU’s basketball attendance was up 15%. Basketball attendance started falling significantly two years before “the apology”.

A few weeks ago there was a post from from a goof-ball student who was preparing to complain to the AD about being told to settle down by an usher after yelling obsenities at a ref or opposing player. He dismissed his foul yelling because it was not something people had not heard before. He disappeared when someone posted that there was a “Fan Code of Conduct” for USU sporting events that prohibits “foul or abusive language or gestures”. He was lucky he didn’t get kicked out of the game. The same policy allows banners or signs if “they are in good taste and contain no commercial or political messaging, profanity or derogatory statements.” The signs directed toward Brandon Davies didn’t meet that test and were offensive to me and many others.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 4th, 2019, 3:16 pm

While we’re reflecting, you’re missing some real gems. My personal favorite was “Brandon Davies follows the On-Her Code”.
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 3):
BeefEaterNVAggiedonlarson8

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:17 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:10 pm
I could have gone the rest of this season without someone again referencing “the apology” as some kind of blight on USU’s administration or on our attendance. Some AD’s still have the good judgement to apologize when student actions cross the line at sporting events.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 927847002/

As to Albrect’s apology in 2011, it was warranted. Just like with the Indiana students, the USU students crossed the line with signs saying, “Welcome Back Brandon from your fornication probation", “Brandon, congrats for the sex!”, together with their accompanying chants.

As to “the apology” driving student attendance down, two years after Albrecht’s letter USU’s basketball attendance was up 15%. Basketball attendance started falling significantly two years before “the apology”.

A few weeks ago there was a post from from a goof-ball student who was preparing to complain to the AD about being told to settle down by an usher after yelling obsenities at a ref or opposing player. He dismissed his foul yelling because it was not something people had not heard before. He disappeared when someone posted that there was a “Fan Code of Conduct” for USU sporting events that prohibits “foul or abusive language or gestures”. He was lucky he didn’t get kicked out of the game. The same policy allows banners or signs if “they are in good taste and contain no commercial or political messaging, profanity or derogatory statements.” The signs directed toward Brandon Davies didn’t meet that test and were offensive to me and many others.
To each their own. I fully disagreed with "The Apology" and was disappointed that our own athletics director threw our amazing student section under the bus to our most heated rival. I was at the game and didn't find any of the signs or chants over the line, but maybe I'm just a bad person. "Congrats on the sex" or "fornication probation" don't offend me. In fact, I thought they were hilarious, and I'm pretty sure Brandon did as well. One of my favorites was a USU coed that had a sign that said "Brandon, I've had better". There was one chant that made me pause a bit and was getting close to this arbitrary "line", but honestly most people probably had no idea what it even meant.

The apology did have a really bad affect on the students. The silent game was an embarrassment. Albrecht realized what he had done and tried to get back in good graces by actually joining the student section for the game following the silent game that we lost. By then it was too late.

If I offended you with my stance, I apologize. ;)
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
TrueBluebigblue

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Turtle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:16 pm
While we’re reflecting, you’re missing some real gems. My personal favorite was “Brandon Davies follows the On-Her Code”.
Oh man, I missed that one. Love it! :lol:

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm

treesap32 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:17 pm
To each their own. I fully disagreed with "The Apology" and was disappointed that our own athletics director threw our amazing student section under the bus to our most heated rival. I was at the game and didn't find any of the signs or chants over the line, but maybe I'm just a bad person. "Congrats on the sex" or "fornication probation" don't offend me. In fact, I thought they were hilarious, and I'm pretty sure Brandon did as well. One of my favorites was a USU coed that had a sign that said "Brandon, I've had better". There was one chant that made me pause a bit and was getting close to this arbitrary "line", but honestly most people probably had no idea what it even meant.

The apology did have a really bad affect on the students. The silent game was an embarrassment. Albrecht realized what he had done and tried to get back in good graces by actually joining the student section for the game following the silent game that we lost. By then it was too late.

Were the signs funny? Yes. Were the signs imaginative? Undoubtedly. Were they contrary to the university’s policy. Absolutely. I have no idea what Brandon Davies thought about the signs/chants directed to him, nor do you, but I sincerely doubt that “hilarious” was his first thought.

To excuse abusive or foul language, gestures or behavior by saying, “No big deal because most people didn’t hear or get it” misses the point entirely.

The students responsible for the signs/chants didn’t get thrown under the bus by Albrecht, they had already crawled there.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Were the signs funny? Yes. Were the signs imaginative? Undoubtedly. Were they contrary to the university’s policy. Absolutely. I have no idea what Brandon Davies thought about the signs/chants directed to him, nor do you, but I sincerely doubt that “hilarious” was his first thought.

To excuse abusive or foul language, gestures or behavior by saying, “No big deal because most people didn’t hear or get it” misses the point entirely.

The students responsible for the signs/chants didn’t get thrown under the bus by Albrecht, they had already crawled there.
Again, to each their own, and I commend you for standing up for the way you feel. :thanks:

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » March 4th, 2019, 4:16 pm

utaggies wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

While the signs and chants may have reflected poorly the apology effectively blamed all 4000 students for the actions. All 4000 took it personally that they were in the wrong.

You can believe the chants were right or wrong but Nevada just demonstrated the way "the apology" should have been handled. A big meaningless statement that sounds good but means nothing.

Personally I had no problem with that game so that's my 2 cents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » March 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm

One that got my Zoob brother in law bent out of shape was when the fans started chanting "Pull out" while he was at the free throw line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Agsman on March 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » March 4th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Agsman wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm
On that got my Zoob brother in law bent out of shape was when the fans started chanting "Pull out" while he was at the free throw line.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Classic BYU. Actually doing the bad thing = not that bad. Referencing the bad thing = a sin which cannot be repented from in a million eternities...

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 4th, 2019, 5:29 pm

We gonna relitigate this?

The more independent the students are to be creative, the better the spectrum will be.

The more we can’t take a joke, the worse our society will be.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 3):
BeefEaterProvoAggieaggies22

coolag

Post by coolag » March 4th, 2019, 7:49 pm

"Rise Up! Not a problem for Davies" takes the cake IMO.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
donlarson8

Regulator of Class

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 4th, 2019, 8:17 pm

"Congrats on the sex" is a hilarious poster.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
treesap32donlarson8TheAKAggie

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » March 4th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Can we still line the tunnel into the spectrum with the welcome to hell thing that we did that year. I hope next year when nevada comes to town, we go back to pre apology days as much we can. Saturday gave me hope that the specteum is back and I think this whole thing could push it back to the way it should be even more.

Locked Previous topicNext topic