2019 Spring Ball Battles: OFFENSIVE LINE

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

2019 Spring Ball Battles: OFFENSIVE LINE

Post by aggies22 » March 6th, 2019, 1:29 pm

This is the second installment of the series. Thanks for reading guys!

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 129785056/
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyUSU78

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: 2019 Spring Ball Battles: OFFENSIVE LINE

Post by BigBlueDart » March 6th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Minor editing comment. In the paragraph on KJ Uluave you say he should start at Left Tackle in Spring ball, and then in the next paragraph you say Alfred Edwards is a lock for that position. Based on your depth chart at the end I'm sure you meant to say Uluave would start at Left Guard.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 6th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Now commenting on the substance of the article.

Looking at this depth chart really drives in just how young this group is. I think there is some legitimate worry associated with that, but I also agree with you that a lot of these young guys were able to get some great experience this last year. We have one Junior starting, and two more Juniors third in the depth chart at different positions. All other players range from true freshman to redshirt sophomore. If this unit can get good cohesion and play well this year they will really have nowhere to go but up! Could be very interesting to see where the unit goes going forward. 2019 might be great. 2020 could be very special.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Minor editing comment. In the paragraph on KJ Uluave you say he should start at Left Tackle in Spring ball, and then in the next paragraph you say Alfred Edwards is a lock for that position. Based on your depth chart at the end I'm sure you meant to say Uluave would start at Left Guard.
Sorry. Minor typo and it's fixed. Thanks for pointing that out BBD. I apologize for the error.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 6th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Certainly this is a younger group of players and there are legitimate anxieties considering the complexity of the "O" line. In speaking with a current AGGIE coach, he notes this group has very good balance, foot work and athleticism. They have also enjoyed some verifiable real game time experience from the 2018 season.

This coach also notes a more complete evaluation will be possible after spring ball. Young, enthusiastic, promising and deep bodes well as the season progress and into the future. Suspect this team will strongly improve as the season wears on.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 6th, 2019, 6:44 pm

22 what’s the story on Ty Shaw. At one time he was going to be a starter as a freshman.

Also hoping to see Koch put on some weight and make an impact this year. At least in the top 8. Overall a young group but you gotta think they have as much potential of an oline group as we have ever had at usu. Add in the new freshman coming in the summer and that group is talented.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » March 7th, 2019, 9:49 am

22, come fall, are there any incoming freshman on the oline that will make an impact/compete to start? Outside of Davison (who's enrolled and will participate in spring), we have Hunter Hill, Jackson Owens, Dean Rice. Anybody else I'm missing? Any chance for those guys to start or see significant playing time this season?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 6:44 pm
22 what’s the story on Ty Shaw. At one time he was going to be a starter as a freshman.

Also hoping to see Koch put on some weight and make an impact this year. At least in the top 8. Overall a young group but you gotta think they have as much potential of an oline group as we have ever had at usu. Add in the new freshman coming in the summer and that group is talented.
I think Ty Shaw has battled injury issues the last two seasons. When he's healthy, he's a very good offensive lineman. I am hoping for a healthy Ty Shaw this season because that promotes strong competition between good players.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 7th, 2019, 3:54 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 9:49 am
22, come fall, are there any incoming freshman on the oline that will make an impact/compete to start? Outside of Davison (who's enrolled and will participate in spring), we have Hunter Hill, Jackson Owens, Dean Rice. Anybody else I'm missing? Any chance for those guys to start or see significant playing time this season?
If I had to venture a guess at this point I would say Hunter Hill might have the best chance at early playing time. However it would have to be a right tackle because Al Edwards has left tackle sewn up. If we have as much success as we did last year, we'll definitely see all the true freshman play in up to 4 games. You mentioned Dean Rice, he is going to play defensive end. The offensive linemen that we did sign for 2019 are Hunter Hill, Aric Davison, Jackson Owens and Ashton Adams.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 9th, 2019, 9:10 am

OL play is critical. I think we had a really good group last season and our record reflected that. This group looks good on paper size wise. I like that the center is our most experienced returning OLman. The center is the one who typically calls out the blocking schemes. Interested to get the early reports from spring ball about our new offense.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 9th, 2019, 10:02 am

El Sapo wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 9:10 am
OL play is critical. I think we had a really good group last season and our record reflected that. This group looks good on paper size wise. I like that the center is our most experienced returning OLman. The center is the one who typically calls out the blocking schemes. Interested to get the early reports from spring ball about our new offense.
You can plug guards and tackles in and out of the lineup as folks get hurt or move on, but replacing a good center is one of the toughest things to do.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
El Sapo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 9th, 2019, 10:48 am

USU78 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 10:02 am
El Sapo wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 9:10 am
You can plug guards and tackles in and out of the lineup as folks get hurt or move on, but replacing a good center is one of the toughest things to do.
The good news is we have a proven coach in TJ Woods developing this group and former Aggie and All-league center Austin Stephens has returned to help coach up the offensive line.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
USU78NavyBlueAggieEl Sapo

Locked Previous topicNext topic