USU pro day?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ShowMeAggie

USU pro day?

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:20 pm

I am starting to see reports come in about NFL pro days at other universities.

What do we know about USU's pro day? "WHEN" and "WHO" are the two big questions I would pose to anyone in the know?

If DT and DR, especially, are going to leave us, I really want to see them "make it" and do well in the league. Excited to see what they (and others) can do in front of the scouts on our home turf. Do we have anyone else with a realistic chance of getting drafted or landing a UFA or mini-camp deal?

I can't remember for sure, but I assume these are closed to the public?

Thanks in advance for any information...

** apologies if I missed it on here somewhere else; but I only found passing references to this year's event and no specifics??

taniataylor

Re: USU pro day?

Post by taniataylor » March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I think Dax participated in the NFL combine already so I do't think he will be participating in Pro Day. Dax has been in San Diego, where his agent is, training

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm

taniataylor wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm
I think Dax participated in the NFL combine already so I do't think he will be participating in Pro Day. Dax has been in San Diego, where his agent is, training
Thanks, Tania.
Is it always either the pro-day OR the combine, or is that just Dax's approach?
It seems in the past that we've had kids at the combine that also worked out on our pro-day? Or am I mis-remembering?
Maybe a 'mulligan' for those that want it? I don't know... :noidea:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 13th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I would think that any serious candidate for the NFL would want to perform in front of NFL scouts as many times as possible. I would bet that Dax shows up for the USU Pro Day.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 13th, 2019, 2:59 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm
taniataylor wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Thanks, Tania.
Is it always either the pro-day OR the combine, or is that just Dax's approach?
It seems in the past that we've had kids at the combine that also worked out on our pro-day? Or am I mis-remembering?
Maybe a 'mulligan' for those that want it? I don't know... :noidea:
I'm not 100% certain that he isn't. I asked Jordan if he was gonna see him when he comes up and he said he didn't think he was. But if it's best for him to participate in Pro Day also, then I imagine his agent will make sure he is there

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 13th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Pro Day is March 27th.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 13th, 2019, 3:02 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 2:55 pm
I would think that any serious candidate for the NFL would want to perform in front of NFL scouts as many times as possible. I would bet that Dax shows up for the USU Pro Day.
Unless his numbers from the combine were very good, then there is no need to go out and risk posting numbers not as good. Now maybe he could come interview still in that case.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 13th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Pro Day is usually seen as an opportunity to perform in a controlled environment, so some guys will just do a few things at the Combine, if invited, and then put on a show with drills that accentuate their best aspects in a comfy environment for Pro Day.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 13th, 2019, 8:50 pm

It would help Dax in the draft if he turn in a better 40 time. A sub 4.7 seconds would help him
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » March 13th, 2019, 9:00 pm

I thought that I read somewhere that he did not do very good on the bench press because he was recovering from wrist surgery. If he has continued with his rehab, there should be a pretty big improvement with his reps.
These users thanked the author Aggiefever for the post:
aggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 14th, 2019, 7:41 am

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Had a chance to watch the combine with some NFL scouts and position coaches. Andy Isabella the UMass receiver turned some heads with his
40 time. Dax unfortunately was a disappointment across the board 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench press. They were trying to reconcile his combine performance with USU game film where he has good ability to gain separation. For us Aggies the best news at the combine was everyone was talking about DT who was not invited...and his vertical jump...they see him as decent speed not exceptional but translate his vertical jump into explosive something they are excited about. Most were shocked he wasn’t invited to the combine and he was getting more far more talk than DR. Pro Day for DR is an interesting question. It could actually hurt him even more if he can’t turn in the numbers. If I were him I would probably not participate as scouts still salivate and have not lost sight of his athleticism on film. One person I talked to indicated the main reason DT did not get an invite is that he only played one season and sticking around for another year at USU would have helped.

Anyway I hope both succeed as there is room for the type of players they are. They gave us a lot to cheer for and excitement we haven’t seen in a few years.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post (total 4):
aggies22ShowMeAggieAggie_in_Idahosneed

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 14th, 2019, 12:49 pm

He'll be at pro day. He may not participate in all the activities, but it would be extremely rare for someone to skip their pro day just because they were at the combine. And, yes it is the 27th
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 14th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm
Had a chance to watch the combine with some NFL scouts and position coaches. Andy Isabella the UMass receiver turned some heads with his
40 time. Dax unfortunately was a disappointment across the board 40 yard, vertical jump, and bench press. They were trying to reconcile his combine performance with USU game film where he has good ability to gain separation. For us Aggies the best news at the combine was everyone was talking about DT who was not invited...and his vertical jump...they see him as decent speed not exceptional but translate his vertical jump into explosive something they are excited about. Most were shocked he wasn’t invited to the combine and he was getting more far more talk than DR. Pro Day for DR is an interesting question. It could actually hurt him even more if he can’t turn in the numbers. If I were him I would probably not participate as scouts still salivate and have not lost sight of his athleticism on film. One person I talked to indicated the main reason DT did not get an invite is that he only played one season and sticking around for another year at USU would have helped.

Anyway I hope both succeed as there is room for the type of players they are. They gave us a lot to cheer for and excitement we haven’t seen in a few years.
Getting to hangout at the combine time listen, learn and pick the brain of NFL guys does not sound like a mediocre at best experience. Awesome information!

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » March 14th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Rato:

Good information. I for one will be pulling for him. I am not one to weigh the combine as the absolute indicator. He is such a great on the field talent with quick feet, great hands, and high football IQ. He got great marks on combine drills. It is indeed rare to not do Pro Day after a combine but if he turns in a 4.7 plus 40 it probably means going from being a mid to late round draft pick to a camp invite. He sure looks faster and stronger than the combine numbers. Any idea what his 40 time was as a player at USU?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 14th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Rato:

Good information. I for one will be pulling for him. I am not one to weigh the combine as the absolute indicator. He is such a great on the field talent with quick feet, great hands, and high football IQ. He got great marks on combine drills. It is indeed rare to not do Pro Day after a combine but if he turns in a 4.7 plus 40 it probably means going from being a mid to late round draft pick to a camp invite. He sure looks faster and stronger than the combine numbers. Any idea what his 40 time was as a player at USU?
I don't think they test 40's much during their time at USU. A lot of programs will have a Jr combine day for guys that will be prospects the following year but I don't think USU is big on it or hasn't been in the past. I agree though, some guys are just gamers and perform better when the adrenaline is pumping. Look at Tyrann Mathieu for example, guy had a HORRIBLE combine but has been solid in the NFL.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 14th, 2019, 10:03 pm

A lot of guys are a lot quicker than their 40 time.

I think the combine is the most overrated event. It’s worthwhile but I don’t give it the stock others do. It’s when you put on pads and hit someone when things count.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Unless a player is a sure 1st rounder they try to improve their draft stock leading up to pro day. I would assume that both Dax and Darwin have hired private trainers where they are doing intensive workouts to improve there measurables. Athletes can improve their speed and agility just by learning the proper methods. If I remember right Jalen Davis hired one of these trainers
and improved his 40 time by nearly second last year.

Forever-an-aggie

Post by Forever-an-aggie » March 17th, 2019, 3:01 am

Is pro day open to watch, or is it closed/invite only?

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 27th, 2019, 9:27 am

bump, mostly...but USU did put out an official release about pro-day, which is being held today March 27: https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/3 ... ch-27.aspx

Anticipated participants include Adewale Adeoye, Eltoro Allen, Roman Andrus, Rob Castaneda, Gaje Ferguson, Quin Ficklin, Jalen Greene, Justen Hervey, Ofa Latu, Dax Raymond, Jontrell Rocquemore, Ron'quavion Tarver, Sean Taylor, Darwin Thompson, Aaren Vaughns, Aaron Wade and Emerson Woods.

Any reports on how our guys are doing and what it means for their chances for football careers after USU?

I saw that D Thompson posted a 39" vertical :shock: :shock: not sure what is normal, but that seems pretty good to me. A lot of explosiveness there...

Would love to hear insight from anyone else with more information or context...
GO AGGIES!!

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 27th, 2019, 9:33 am

Last edited by GeorgiaAggie on March 27th, 2019, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2019, 9:34 am

I thought Thompson would go 40"+ but the 39" would have put him at 3rd highest among RB's at the combine.

Also...
10'-6" broad jump would have been 5th best among RB's at the combine.
28 reps would have been 2nd highest among RB's.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
sneedAggie_in_Idahojpswensen

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 27th, 2019, 9:52 am

Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 9:34 am
I thought Thompson would go 40"+ but the 39" would have put him at 3rd highest among RB's at the combine.

Also...
10'-6" broad jump would have been 5th best among RB's at the combine.
28 reps would have been 2nd highest among RB's.
It is such a shame he didn't get an invite. If he did, I think he 100% would've been drafted. Hopefully he still does, but a combine invite would've left 0 question.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 27th, 2019, 10:41 am

Top 40 Times:
Aaren Vaughns 4.45
Aaron Wade 4.47
DTrain 4.53
Last edited by taniataylor on March 27th, 2019, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 27th, 2019, 10:44 am

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » March 27th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Anyone know how many reps Dax did today? All the other numbers I have seen show him making small gains over the combine in every other work out.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Rob Turbin was also at Pro Day and worked out for some teams.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » March 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Aaron Wade 40 time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Still can't believe the somewhat poor luck Turbin has had in the NFL with being a featured back. While he did get to experience a lot of early success as a Seahawk, being drafted there behind perhaps the most established RB in the league at the time did not help his prospect of growing into a starter. He really is a fresh RB for how many years he has been in the league. It doesn't seem that many teams have used him correctly since leaving Seattle.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » March 27th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Turbin has been a victim of many injuries unfortunately. Everytime I thought "ok, now he has a shot to prove himself as a starter," he got hurt.

Stinks...but has happened to many a good back.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 27th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Turbin's bank account has done alright even though his playing time has been limited.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 27th, 2019, 4:12 pm

An active linebacker in the NFL former first-round pick, not Bwags, who Went to pro-day today just walked into my office and told me that Thompson did like a 4.3. Said he thought he was pretty good. Was shocked to hear U-State went 11-2. He said Turbo is here today as well.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
BustaMcNutt

#hornsup!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 27th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 4:12 pm
An active linebacker in the NFL former first-round pick, not Bwags, who Went to pro-day today just walked into my office and told me that Thompson did like a 4.3. Said he thought he was pretty good. Was shocked to hear U-State went 11-2. He said Turbo is here today as well.
Does his name rhyme with Spruce Mervin?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 27th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Still can't believe the somewhat poor luck Turbin has had in the NFL with being a featured back. While he did get to experience a lot of early success as a Seahawk, being drafted there behind perhaps the most established RB in the league at the time did not help his prospect of growing into a starter. He really is a fresh RB for how many years he has been in the league. It doesn't seem that many teams have used him correctly since leaving Seattle.
Outside of injuries, Turbin has been at NFL franchises that had bad offenses. Those years in Indy sans Andrew Luck were just brutal.

Locked Previous topicNext topic