NBA Scout

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

NBA Scout

Post by Dkdavis » March 16th, 2019, 12:31 am

Sat next to Keith Grant who is an assistant general manager for the Dallas Mavericks. He was sent to scout out the Martin twins and Sam Merrill. I never really thought Sam would make it to the NBA, but could it happen?

FromLItoLogan

Re: NBA Scout

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 16th, 2019, 12:40 am

It could happen but very unlikely he'd do much more than ride the bench for a few seasons and then be recycled out. I see him having a much more lucrative and successful career in China or Europe.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 16th, 2019, 12:42 am

If he’s really 6’5” I would say he could easily be.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 16th, 2019, 1:09 am

Could be like Jeff Hornicek

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 16th, 2019, 1:25 am

No way. I absolutely love Sam Merrill's game, but in no way is he a legit NBA prospect. He's a crafty scorer, and he'll have a good career in Europe. NBA teams will do their due diligence and at least take a look at the MWC POY, but Sam is a classic great college player who lacks an NBA body and athleticism. Jaycee Carroll and Jimmer Fredette suffered from the same disease.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SLB

Post by SLB » March 16th, 2019, 1:28 am

Sam Merrill is a NBA prospect that we want for his senior year. The Warriors might be a good team for Merrill..

SDSU
Troll

Post by SDSU » March 16th, 2019, 3:42 am

the only legitimate NBA prospect in the MWC is SDSU's Jalen McDaniels who is projected to be a late first round pick.

Then Caleb comes a distant 2nd in the mid to late 2nd round

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 16th, 2019, 4:04 am

SDSU wrote:the only legitimate NBA prospect in the MWC is SDSU's Jalen McDaniels who is projected to be a late first round pick.

I think Queta would disagree about not being a legitimate prospect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 16th, 2019, 4:05 am

SDSU wrote:the only legitimate NBA prospect in the MWC is SDSU's Jalen McDaniels who is projected to be a late first round pick.

Have another drink my friend. Queta is going to a really good NBA player. Have you ever heard of him?

Caleb Martin may get a shot, but that guy is a mechanical train wreck and will get destroyed by NBA defenses.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleAggie_in_Idaho

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 16th, 2019, 6:53 am

Is Caroline not an NBA prospect, or is he kind of a tweener?

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 16th, 2019, 7:03 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 6:53 am
Is Caroline not an NBA prospect, or is he kind of a tweener?
I believe he has a career threatening hand injury....
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
NVAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 16th, 2019, 8:01 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 1:25 am
No way. I absolutely love Sam Merrill's game, but in no way is he a legit NBA prospect. He's a crafty scorer, and he'll have a good career in Europe. NBA teams will do their due diligence and at least take a look at the MWC POY, but Sam is a classic great college player who lacks an NBA body and athleticism. Jaycee Carroll and Jimmer Fredette suffered from the same disease.

Except Sam Merrill is 3 inches taller thAn both of them and has some defensive skill.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » March 16th, 2019, 8:15 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:01 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Except Sam Merrill is 3 inches taller thAn both of them and has some defensive skill.
Agree.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » March 16th, 2019, 8:25 am

Don't see why Sam could not be an NBA player. Pro sports is more mental than anything, there are all kinds of different styles and body shapes.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

The only reason Sam is good is because he served a mission. That is such an advantage. Every college player should serve a mission so that they can be good enough to play in the NBA.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 16th, 2019, 8:39 am

Elkaggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:15 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Agree.
What can Grayson Allen do that Sam can't?

Nobody here knows anything.

KohnDome
Has thanked: 0

Post by KohnDome » March 16th, 2019, 8:49 am

OKAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:39 am
Elkaggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:15 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Agree.
What can Grayson Allen do that Sam can't?
For one Grayson Allen is really good at tripping people!!! I haven’t seen Sam use that skill yet.. I would rather compare Sam to Klay Thompson though, I feel like Sams nba game could compare to his!!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 16th, 2019, 8:50 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:

...and Kyle Korver too. Oooops, sorry. I guess Korver doesn’t belong in the NBA either.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 16th, 2019, 8:52 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Agreed almost. I think Sam has much more than “some” defensive skill

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 16th, 2019, 8:53 am

Play above the rim. Grayson Allen is WAY more athletic than Sam. Look at Grayson's combine measurements and watch some highlights. And I am not sure Grayson Allen is an NBA player either.

I love Sam Merrill's game. He is a great player. He also has almost no shot at the NBA. The NBA is a different game that is not well suited for Sam' s body type or skill set. Plus, he is way too old and has pretty much reached his potential.

I guess we'll see, but I would be absolutely shocked if he makes it in the league. I would love to eat crow here, and my Aggie goggles are thick, but I like to think I know an NBA player when I see one, and the only legit NBA prospect on the floor last night was Queta.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 16th, 2019, 8:56 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

...and Kyle Korver too. Oooops, sorry. I guess Korver doesn’t belong in the NBA either.
Korver has an elite skill and is probably one of the top 5 in the world at that skill. And he is 6'8".

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 16th, 2019, 8:57 am

I love all of the expert NBA analysis here. :headscratch: :crazy:
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
rileys1958

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 16th, 2019, 9:05 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:53 am
Play above the rim. Grayson Allen is WAY more athletic than Sam. Look at Grayson's combine measurements and watch some highlights. And I am not sure Grayson Allen is an NBA player either.

I love Sam Merrill's game. He is a great player. He also has almost no shot at the NBA. The NBA is a different game that is not well suited for Sam' s body type or skill set. Plus, he is way too old and has pretty much reached his potential.

I guess we'll see, but I would be absolutely shocked if he makes it in the league. I would love to eat crow here, and my Aggie goggles are thick, but I like to think I know an NBA player when I see one, and the only legit NBA prospect on the floor last night was Queta.

I don't watch much NBA at all, and have probably never seen Allen more than a few minutes; and I respect your judgment.
That's why my post was in the form of a question. I wouldn't know where to look for combine numbers, and I don't doubt he has highlight reel ability, or he wouldn't have played for Duke. But he is an NBA player, or at least he's getting an NBA paycheck.

But my untrained eye doesn't see "playing above the rim" as any part of his NBA game -- maybe he can, but IMHO in the current 3-ball obsessed NBA Allen's contribution (if he ever makes one) is going to be made on defense and from the outside, where I'm not sure he's any better than Sam.

Good point about Sam's age.
Last edited by OKAggie on March 16th, 2019, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody here knows anything.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 16th, 2019, 9:06 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:57 am
I love all of the expert NBA analysis here. :headscratch: :crazy:
After reading all of this, I was about to say the same. Thanks for saying it first.
Look, if a scout is here that means he has a shot, but the NBA will make that decision.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 16th, 2019, 9:18 am

I hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 16th, 2019, 9:24 am

OKAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:05 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

I don't watch much NBA at all, and have probably never seen Allen more than a few minutes; and I respect your judgment.
That's why my post was in the form of a question. I wouldn't know where to look for combine numbers, and I don't doubt he has highlight reel ability, or he wouldn't have played for Duke. But he is an NBA player, or at least he's getting an NBA paycheck.

But my untrained eye doesn't see "playing above the rim" as any part of his NBA game -- maybe he can, but IMHO in the current 3-ball obsessed NBA Allen's contribution (if he ever makes one) is going to be made on defense and from the outside, where I'm not sure he's any better than Sam.

Allen’s combine measurements were elite. Like shockingly so. Too bad his shooting has been such a disappointment and his defense is atrocious.

I think Sam could stick for a bit on a 2 way deal with the right team but he’d be better off financially going to Europe. I hope he tests the waters this year and gets some feedback.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 16th, 2019, 9:27 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Korver has an elite skill and is probably one of the top 5 in the world at that skill. And he is 6'8".

Korver is not top 5 in the world at three point shooting.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 16th, 2019, 9:34 am

I’d like to think that if he chiseled some muscle and leaned up a bit (strength, quickness, hops, and endurance) he could become a serviceable role player for the right NBA team. I think his 3pt FG% would be even better if he wasn’t the primary scoring option. Hopefully he ups his game even more next season.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

Intermeddler wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:05 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Allen’s combine measurements were elite. Like shockingly so. Too bad his shooting has been such a disappointment and his defense is atrocious.

I think Sam could stick for a bit on a 2 way deal with the right team but he’d be better off financially going to Europe. I hope he tests the waters this year and gets some feedback.
As I recall, Allen graded out as the best all-around athlete in the draft. He has a 41" vertical. Of course, everyone was shocked at this because well.... er..... um..... you know.....I'm not sure you're supposed to say this.... but there was this early 90s movie....

But there is a highlight video out there of him jumping over Jalil Okafor in a McDonald's all-American dunk contest.

And yes, he is getting an NBA paycheck, I suppose, but I don't think he'll stick.

The point about the league shifting to an outside shooting league is a good one. I do think Sam is a better shooter than Allen. Klay Thompson could be a decent comparable.

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
Intermeddler

Formerly TulsAGGIE

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 16th, 2019, 10:14 am

These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
sneedaggies22

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 16th, 2019, 10:18 am

I don't know what Sam's nba future will be, uf anything, but he us not comparable to Fredette and Carroll for several reasons that give him a better shot. He is not only bigger and a better defender, while being an equal or better than those guys in their nba level skills, in addition he can handle the ball and play the point. Neither of those guys could.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
Detroit-Aggie

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

dogie

Post by dogie » March 16th, 2019, 10:28 am

2004AG wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:27 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

At age 38 he isn’t, but he clearly was a decade ago. He set the NBA single-season 3-pt FG percentage record at 53.6% in 2009-2010 with the Jazz. He also had a 127 game streak of 3-pt FGs about five years ago, also a record.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 16th, 2019, 10:45 am

dogie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 10:28 am
2004AG wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:27 am
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

At age 38 he isn’t, but he clearly was a decade ago. He set the NBA single-season 3-pt FG percentage record at 53.6% in 2009-2010 with the Jazz. He also had a 127 game streak of 3-pt FGs about five years ago, also a record.
As a Hawks fan, I love Korver, but that streak is a little dubious because it only counts regular season games. I do agree he was clearly a top 5 shooter in his prime.

Korver wouldn’t have sniffed the NBA at 6’5”, but Sam’s game is more complete. It’s a long shot at his age, but he is awfully skilled. NBA scouts are valuing “dribble, pass & shoot” guys more highly than ever so here’s hoping he gets an opportunity.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 16th, 2019, 11:05 am

Korver is 9th all -time in 3pt percentage and is only .006 behind Steph Curry. To do what Korver has she in the NBA for as long as he has done it makes him one of the best shooters ever.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 16th, 2019, 11:34 am

Sam Merrill’s age is going to be another big negative for NBA teams. I could see him making a summer league roster and getting a two-way deal.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 16th, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Locked Previous topicNext topic