Refs

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1
Posts: 2429
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Refs

Post by mcaggie1 » March 16th, 2019, 7:11 pm

So we won. I personally thought the officiating was poor,. I wasn’t able to see thr first half but will see it later, but the second half was fair until about 7 minutes left and then I thought we were getting a bunch of bad calls that helped SDSU back into the game. I just visited the Aztec board, and they are saying that the refs were one sided favoring the Aggies all night. Didn’t give them a chance.
So, did any of you think we were favored all night by the refs? I guess I will have to watch thr first half, because from my perspective, we were not favored at all, especially down the stretch.



User avatar
TrueBigBlue
Posts: 2507
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Refs

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 16th, 2019, 7:14 pm

The refs were a lot less bad in this one versus the last two. Still not good, but passable



Aggie19
Posts: 121
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Refs

Post by Aggie19 » March 16th, 2019, 7:17 pm

The old guy working the baseline, was horrible. Missed calls, calls that were BS, calls one way and not the other. It was bad, he needs to go. My 10 year old commented how bad he was, before I'd even opened my Aggie homer mouth.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Refs

Post by ChicAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Reffing was not a factor and not really noticeable. I thought the refs did a fine job. Some of the 50-50 calls went in our favor; some went against us.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Imakeitrain
Posts: 5051
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Refs

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 7:19 pm

For those of you who weren't in chat. I really hate Randy.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Blitz79
Posts: 1072
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Refs

Post by Blitz79 » March 16th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Two plays that come to mind are the no call when Taylor went for a layup and got fouled on the arm by McDaniels. Should have been an easy call. The other was Brito getting ran over at mid court. Again no call and then we get the over and back.



frankiedoeshollywood
Posts: 582
Joined: March 7th, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Refs

Post by frankiedoeshollywood » March 16th, 2019, 7:25 pm

3 of the best refs in the game. All final 4 guys. If you b**** about the way this game was called head over to cougarboard and stay there.
These users liked this post from frankiedoeshollywood:
oleblu111



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 2861
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Refs

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:29 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 7:18 pm
Reffing was not a factor and not really noticeable. I thought the refs did a fine job. Some of the 50-50 calls went in our favor; some went against us.
That was my thought as well. I don't think they had any real impact of the game.

There are always going to be missed calls, reffing basketball is hard. Fast paced, no replays, but it was nowhere near the game USU played against Nevada.

I really thought it was fine.



nswaggie
Posts: 400
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Refs

Post by nswaggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Two plays that come to mind are the no call when Taylor went for a layup and got fouled on the arm by McDaniels. Should have been an easy call. The other was Brito getting ran over at mid court. Again no call and then we get the over and back.
Did Sam get fouled on his three pointer late in the game? I would like to see the replay cause initially I thought he would be heading to the line for three.



Intermeddler
Posts: 1621
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Refs

Post by Intermeddler » March 16th, 2019, 7:39 pm

The only one that I thought was really bad was when Brito got fouled before the over and back.

Other than that, they were fine.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7176
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 169 times

Re: Refs

Post by dyedblue » March 16th, 2019, 7:42 pm

What bothers me about the reffing is when Brito gets knocked down causing the back court is not called and then several plays in a row were being physical allowing SDSU to go on a run are not called and then at the other end little touch fouls were called. Then things evened out again so it worked out.

Why is reffing so inconsistent? I have reffed some low level games so I get how hard it can be with the speed of the college game. My thing is these refs were like a streak shooter that could get hot and go on runs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

JFWAggie
Posts: 255
Joined: August 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Refs

Post by JFWAggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:45 pm

They were terrible the last 7 minutes, pure garbage, I would be willing to bet they missed at least 10 calls/ no calls in that timeframe on SDSU



pilotaggie
Posts: 484
Joined: November 13th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Refs

Post by pilotaggie » March 16th, 2019, 7:47 pm

While they missed calls on both sides they didn't change the outcome of the game. That is all that really matters.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5051
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Refs

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 7:57 pm

If you've sat near the front row of the student section in the last 10 years there is a good chance you know the pettiness of McCall. He hates the Spectrum. Dave Hall also sucks. There is another guy who is probably a bit younger with darker hair (I think sometimes it's really short sometimes its not) who also has it out for us.

McCall is pretty hated by all the schools with passionate student sections. And the pac12/MWC refs are widely known nationally for sucking. When other teams play against our refs they start to actually hate our conference. But yes he's been around. He's joe west.

There is also in football glasses ref who seems to be good at always picking the other team in 50/50 calls.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

bpd
Posts: 898
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Refs

Post by bpd » March 16th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Seriously refs were good. They were fine the entire tournament. Stop bitching. We just won the MWC, enjoy.
These users liked this post from bpd:
oleblu111



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5051
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Refs

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

bpd wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:01 pm
Seriously refs were good. They were fine the entire tournament. Stop bitching. We just won the MWC, enjoy.

Criticism of specific refs, or on specific calls is completely fair game. It is not "bitching".

A far better argument for you would be you actually defending the refs and saying why you like certain refs or think a certain call was good that others think is a bad call. That would be valuable input. But if you're going to say I or anyone else is "bitching" because we have an opinion of certain calls or certain people then look in a mirror. Because you then can't even take a difference of opinion.

We just won, and here you are dropping semi vulgar insults to other aggie fans who are happy that we won despite what was in in the opinion of at least some had mistakes made.

I don't think this was the worst officiated game, I don't think it was the best officiated game. Just watch your mouth. If you want to disagree on someone's opinion on a call go for it- but leave the vulgar attacks out of it.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

aggiesdidwhat???
Posts: 540
Joined: July 14th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Refs

Post by aggiesdidwhat??? » March 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 7:11 pm
So we won. I personally thought the officiating was poor,. I wasn’t able to see thr first half but will see it later, but the second half was fair until about 7 minutes left and then I thought we were getting a bunch of bad calls that helped SDSU back into the game. I just visited the Aztec board, and they are saying that the refs were one sided favoring the Aggies all night. Didn’t give them a chance.
So, did any of you think we were favored all night by the refs? I guess I will have to watch thr first half, because from my perspective, we were not favored at all, especially down the stretch.
This is odd and could just be me. But I thought they did pretty good.. There where obvious calls missed... But I truly felt it was really well done. But what do I know.



cache-aggie
Posts: 38
Joined: January 31st, 2011, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Refs

Post by cache-aggie » March 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Usually when there are bad calls the announcers mention something and you hear loudly complaints from the fans.
Didn't hear any of that tonight. I thought the refs did a fine job. Just a couple misses here and there. Nothing egregious



BigEZ43
Posts: 69
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Refs

Post by BigEZ43 » March 16th, 2019, 9:08 pm

I had the same impression. I hadn't really noticed the refs until the last few minutes. It seemed to me like SDSU was getting away with a ton of hard hand checking once they started putting the heavy pressure on. It was very physical, but the Ags adjusted to it eventually.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Refs

Post by ChicAggie » March 16th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm
We just won, and here you are dropping semi vulgar insults to other aggie fans who are happy that we won despite what was in in the opinion of at least some had mistakes made.
Not seeing a ton of happiness expressed in this thread. Mostly just sour grapes for no real reason over calls that could have gone either way. I don't spend any time on Cougarboard, but I gather this is the kind of stuff that belongs over there. Seems weird to me that this thread exists at all in light of today's pre-NCAA tourney capper to the most pleasantly surprising season in Aggie basketball history.

EDIT: Hadn't focused on your morality policing over the word "b!tching." Hilarious. Really funny stuff. Nice!
Last edited by ChicAggie on March 16th, 2019, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked this post from ChicAggie:
oleblu111


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5475
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 139 times
Contact:

Re: Refs

Post by TheAKAggie » March 16th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Both teams hate on the officiating? Must have been a well called game.
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie. Total Likes: 2
NavyBlueAggie3rdGenAggie


Hail Aggies!

Imakeitrain
Posts: 5051
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Refs

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 10:06 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 9:44 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm
We just won, and here you are dropping semi vulgar insults to other aggie fans who are happy that we won despite what was in in the opinion of at least some had mistakes made.
Not seeing a ton of happiness expressed in this thread. Mostly just sour grapes for no real reason over calls that could have gone either way. I don't spend any time on Cougarboard, but I gather this is the kind of stuff that belongs over there. Seems weird to me that this thread exists at all in light of today's pre-NCAA tourney capper to the most pleasantly surprising season in Aggie basketball history.

EDIT: Hadn't focused on your morality policing over the word "b!tching." Hilarious. Really funny stuff. Nice!
its not morality policing over the word. It's expressing displeasure in Unneccessary vulgarity that is aimed at people. I swear all the time.
But it's generally not malicious in nature.

If you think it's sour grapes then please defend the call where Brito gets trucked right before the over and back call. Defend it or step off and then like I suggested to the other zie look in a mirror. Because if you cannot in fact defend that call then there is legitimacy to concerns raised.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7068
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Refs

Post by GeoAg » March 16th, 2019, 10:08 pm

If both fanbases think they were biased against them tgen they were probably pretty good.


"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Refs

Post by ChicAggie » March 16th, 2019, 10:11 pm

"Defend it or step off?" What are you, 14? The defense is that Brito was off balance, and a minor bump that may or may not have been a foul simply wasn't called. Who the FK cares? We won the damned game.

"Unnecessary vulgarity aimed at people?" This entire thread IS about b!tching about the officiating. No one called anyone names: a poster simply noted it seems weird people are on here b!tching about officiating after winning the MWC Tourney. If you want to respond to substance, fine, but acting like morality police over the word "b!tching" is Cougarboard level garbage.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Chupamedia
Posts: 1188
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Refs

Post by Chupamedia » March 16th, 2019, 10:27 pm

I thought the officiating was fairly good, especially for MWC refs. We tend to have refs that have an unhealthy relationship with their whistles. I think it hurts us in post season tournaments because we are so used to being called for everything and expect to get calls for everything, but most P5 conference refs let the teams play a little more. Tonight I thought the officiating crew was pretty unaffecting to the game - sure they missed a couple, but I thought it was well called. I think why SDSU fans thought they were screwed was because key players were in foul trouble, that always makes it feel like you are being targeted



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5051
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Refs

Post by Imakeitrain » March 16th, 2019, 10:49 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 10:11 pm
"Defend it or step off?" What are you, 14? The defense is that Brito was off balance, and a minor bump that may or may not have been a foul simply wasn't called. Who the FK cares? We won the damned game.

"Unnecessary vulgarity aimed at people?" This entire thread IS about b!tching about the officiating. No one called anyone names: a poster simply noted it seems weird people are on here b!tching about officiating after winning the MWC Tourney. If you want to respond to substance, fine, but acting like morality police over the word "b!tching" is Cougarboard level garbage.
1.That was not a small tap and other fouls were called for far less. But, At least that's a position though. Maybe you could go with that instead of name calling. I don't mind disagreement at all.

2. It absolutely is name calling. Just because you change a noun to a verb and then use the present progressive form doesn't make it any better. Utahns are generally too nice to respond but please walk around DC and start calling people a b****. See what happens.

3. Look in a mirror. What exactly did you expect to find in this thread? Did you hope to find an evaluation on Queta's rebounding ability? Or another thred about how Sam Merill is probably an nba comparison Sam Dekker?

4. You act as if you want to "just celebrate" but how do think calling people a b**** is celebratory?

5. You can especially step off because I'm done with you harassing me on this board.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Refs

Post by ChicAggie » March 16th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 10:49 pm
1.That was not a small tap and other fouls were called for far less. But, At least that's a position though. Maybe you could go with that instead of name calling. I don't mind disagreement at all.

2. It absolutely is name calling. Just because you change a noun to a verb and then use the present progressive form doesn't make it any better. Utahns are generally too nice to respond but please walk around DC and start calling people a b****. See what happens.

3. Look in a mirror. What exactly did you expect to find in this thread? Did you hope to find an evaluation on Queta's rebounding ability? Or another thred about how Sam Merill is probably an nba comparison Sam Dekker?

4. You act as if you want to "just celebrate" but how do think calling people a b**** is celebratory?

5. You can especially step off because I'm done with you harassing me on this board.
I can tell from the positions you take on various issues that we will regularly clash on differences of opinion. Having differences of opinion is fine. I suppose I shouldn't have questioned whether you are 14 (are you?), but telling someone else to "step off" comes across as immature and ridiculous. At least to me. Perhaps not to you.

One difference of opinion we have is that noting that someone is b!tching about something is very different than calling someone a b!tch. The latter is a very personal attack and I can see why someone would take offense; the former is noting a specific behavior in the moment. In this thread, there is no doubt that certain posters were b!tching about reffing FOLLOWING A MWC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY. Another poster questioned why b!tching about reffing was appropriate following such a victory. If you want to take that and turn it into one poster calling another poster a b!tch, I truly believe that says a lot more about you than it does about the poster who questioned why it was appropriate to complain about reffing in a game we won.

Not sure what you are asking in your paragraph 3. I love the Aggies, and I read nearly every thread on this forum out of a general interest -- particularly when I am amped up after winning an MWC conference tourney and wrapping up an NCAA tourney bid. What I was expecting in a thread entitled "Refs" is irrelevant to my personal reaction to it, but I can tell you I opened it with zero preconceptions about what it might contain. Could it be a question about which refs officiated the game? Perhaps a comment about how great the refs were and how well-officiated the game was? A question about whether these refs might be officiating in the NCAA tournament? Perhaps a complaint about the refs? Who could predict? It's all very exciting to open a new thread and discover what my Aggie brethren and sisteren have to say. So I read the thread. I disagreed. I commented. Then I got to a post where the poster behaved like the morality police because another person used the word "b!tching." I found that both laughable and boorish since the word "b!tching" is not a word that I find offensive in the slightest. In the words of the great John Bender: B-O-O H-O-O. I commented on that poster's quickness to jump on their high horse, and we exchanged some friendly back-and-forth. We will clearly disagree about this, but I don't like your attitude. You don't like mine. I suspect neither of us really cares what the other person thinks since we clearly have very little respect for each other's opinion. I'll b!tch about the positions you take; you'll b!tch about the positions I take. It's all part of being on a forum. Perhaps some day we'll meet in person and I'll buy you a drink.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5475
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 139 times
Contact:

Re: Refs

Post by TheAKAggie » March 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

Must have been snowing last night, LOTTA SNOWFLAKES IN HERE!!!


Hail Aggies!

mcaggie1
Posts: 2429
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Refs

Post by mcaggie1 » March 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

ChicAggie wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 11:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 10:49 pm
1.That was not a small tap and other fouls were called for far less. But, At least that's a position though. Maybe you could go with that instead of name calling. I don't mind disagreement at all.

2. It absolutely is name calling. Just because you change a noun to a verb and then use the present progressive form doesn't make it any better. Utahns are generally too nice to respond but please walk around DC and start calling people a b****. See what happens.

3. Look in a mirror. What exactly did you expect to find in this thread? Did you hope to find an evaluation on Queta's rebounding ability? Or another thred about how Sam Merill is probably an nba comparison Sam Dekker?

4. You act as if you want to "just celebrate" but how do think calling people a b**** is celebratory?

5. You can especially step off because I'm done with you harassing me on this board.
I can tell from the positions you take on various issues that we will regularly clash on differences of opinion. Having differences of opinion is fine. I suppose I shouldn't have questioned whether you are 14 (are you?), but telling someone else to "step off" comes across as immature and ridiculous. At least to me. Perhaps not to you.

One difference of opinion we have is that noting that someone is b!tching about something is very different than calling someone a b!tch. The latter is a very personal attack and I can see why someone would take offense; the former is noting a specific behavior in the moment. In this thread, there is no doubt that certain posters were b!tching about reffing FOLLOWING A MWC TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY. Another poster questioned why b!tching about reffing was appropriate following such a victory. If you want to take that and turn it into one poster calling another poster a b!tch, I truly believe that says a lot more about you than it does about the poster who questioned why it was appropriate to complain about reffing in a game we won.

Not sure what you are asking in your paragraph 3. I love the Aggies, and I read nearly every thread on this forum out of a general interest -- particularly when I am amped up after winning an MWC conference tourney and wrapping up an NCAA tourney bid. What I was expecting in a thread entitled "Refs" is irrelevant to my personal reaction to it, but I can tell you I opened it with zero preconceptions about what it might contain. Could it be a question about which refs officiated the game? Perhaps a comment about how great the refs were and how well-officiated the game was? A question about whether these refs might be officiating in the NCAA tournament? Perhaps a complaint about the refs? Who could predict? It's all very exciting to open a new thread and discover what my Aggie brethren and sisteren have to say. So I read the thread. I disagreed. I commented. Then I got to a post where the poster behaved like the morality police because another person used the word "b!tching." I found that both laughable and boorish since the word "b!tching" is not a word that I find offensive in the slightest. In the words of the great John Bender: B-O-O H-O-O. I commented on that poster's quickness to jump on their high horse, and we exchanged some friendly back-and-forth. We will clearly disagree about this, but I don't like your attitude. You don't like mine. I suspect neither of us really cares what the other person thinks since we clearly have very little respect for each other's opinion. I'll b!tch about the positions you take; you'll b!tch about the positions I take. It's all part of being on a forum. Perhaps some day we'll meet in person and I'll buy you a drink.
I started the thread. I can’t believe how people take a fair question to another meaning. Don’t people read a post and think just a little bit about what was said? Some on this board blamed me for moaning about the refs and told me to basically shut up and celebrate the championship. Talk about narrow minded!

All I wanted to know is if any Aggie fan thought that the officiating favored us in the first half, because I didn’t see the first half. I asked that question because the SDS fans on their board were complaining that the refs were favoring USU the WHOLE game, which was the main cause of their defeat. I saw the second half and thought the refs were fair...except for about the last 7 minutes. In those final minutes, I felt that there were 4 or 5 calls that were wrong and went against us. A few on this thread agreed. We ARE celebrating our championship.
I just wanted a simple and fair question answered..........not a name calling shouting match, which is how I see it.

We are all on the same team. We can disagree which is healthy, but name calling and name calling is not appreciated by many......and that is not a Cougarboard thing only.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7176
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 169 times

Re: Refs

Post by dyedblue » March 17th, 2019, 10:19 am

I think it is fair to talk about the officiating of any game. It is a factor, sometimes as much as coaching and players. Go watch the ASU have again as evidence of how officiating can change a game. This thread was not complaining about offiating at all, it was a discussion point about what the thoughts were on how the game was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

mcaggie1
Posts: 2429
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Refs

Post by mcaggie1 » March 17th, 2019, 10:28 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:19 am
I think it is fair to talk about the officiating of any game. It is a factor, sometimes as much as coaching and players. Go watch the ASU have again as evidence of how officiating can change a game. This thread was not complaining about offiating at all, it was a discussion point about what the thoughts were on how the game was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. You put it better than me, and in far fewer words. And to think, I was a communications major.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 237 times

Re: Refs

Post by ChicAggie » March 17th, 2019, 10:47 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:19 am
I think it is fair to talk about the officiating of any game. It is a factor, sometimes as much as coaching and players. Go watch the ASU have again as evidence of how officiating can change a game. This thread was not complaining about offiating at all, it was a discussion point about what the thoughts were on how the game was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. You put it better than me, and in far fewer words. And to think, I was a communications major.
ChicAggie wrote:Reffing was not a factor and not really noticeable. I thought the refs did a fine job. Some of the 50-50 calls went in our favor; some went against us.
I thought my initial response responded fairly to the question posed. I only bristled later at the morality police telling people to “watch your mouth.” I found that amusing and merely commented on it. While I disagreed this was a topic worth even bringing up following a win, I didn’t voice that opinion except in response to someone on their high horse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 457
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Refs

Post by El Sapo » March 17th, 2019, 12:54 pm

IMHO Not really anything of substance on the officiating side. Of course that's the winning side observation. The only real issue/decision the officials made was the flagrant for the headshot on Queta and I think they got that right. The SD player knew what he was doing when he threw his forearm up head high. That kind of play is not incidental. These guys know how to hurt each other, and the SD guy got caught. Lucky Queta didn't end up with stiches like Bean did when he took a similar cheap shot.


I can see how these decisions might seem overwhelming for some posters, football is complex. It can seem like a single decision doesn't matter because there are too many variables......That wasn't the case with Wake Forest

SLB
Posts: 807
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Refs

Post by SLB » March 17th, 2019, 1:11 pm

The Refs let the Aztec defense get out of hand with letting more and more contact happen, and blatant fouls were not being called near the end.
I thought that it was odd that Aztec defenders hit our guys in the butt.



mcaggie1
Posts: 2429
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Refs

Post by mcaggie1 » March 17th, 2019, 2:23 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:47 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 10:19 am
I think it is fair to talk about the officiating of any game. It is a factor, sometimes as much as coaching and players. Go watch the ASU have again as evidence of how officiating can change a game. This thread was not complaining about offiating at all, it was a discussion point about what the thoughts were on how the game was called.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. You put it better than me, and in far fewer words. And to think, I was a communications major.
ChicAggie wrote:Reffing was not a factor and not really noticeable. I thought the refs did a fine job. Some of the 50-50 calls went in our favor; some went against us.
I thought my initial response responded fairly to the question posed. I only bristled later at the morality police telling people to “watch your mouth.” I found that amusing and merely commented on it. While I disagreed this was a topic worth even bringing up following a win, I didn’t voice that opinion except in response to someone on their high horse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope you didn’t think I came down too hard on you. You are actually one whose opinions I enjoy reading. I thought the same way as you did about the officiating ....with the exception of the last 7 minutes. That last part, to me, was abominable.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic