Our players and coaches do their homework

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Our players and coaches do their homework

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 17th, 2019, 7:23 am

Did you guys see Porter on SDSU’s final play before half?
He was watching SDSU’s coach as Watson brought it down, when the coach signaled the play to Watson, Porter turned to our bench and called out the counter defense. Their coach saw Porter do this and changed the play to something else, as soon as he changed it Porter saw the new sign and turned to signal a different counter defense. Their coach just looked frustrated. The play turned into a trap on Watson and eventually a terrible layup attempt on the fly by a bench player with no chance.
Our guys must spend hours and hours watching film.

mcaggie1

Re: Our players and coaches do their homework

Post by mcaggie1 » March 17th, 2019, 7:32 am

He must be a NE Patriots fan.

:joking:
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
sam tingeysneed

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 17th, 2019, 7:34 am

I am interested to go back and watch the game again.

A SDSU fan posted somewhere (Facebook or Twitter) that Coach Smith was stealing signals from the opposing team the entire tournament.

The staff and players obviously spent plenty of time preparing for opponents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 17th, 2019, 7:38 am

“Stealing signals” is only a thing in baseball idiots. In other sports it’s called scouting. If only both teams could do it, hmmm....
That’s why Stew had the two sets of cards.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » March 17th, 2019, 8:04 am

We do this a lot. I was watching a game on TV one night and during a TO we had one of our Assiant coaches watching the other teams huddle and relaying info back to ours. This staff is a well prepared group!
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
bigblue

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 17th, 2019, 8:18 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:We do this a lot. I was watching a game on TV one night and during a TO we had one of our Assiant coaches watching the other teams huddle and relaying info back to ours. This staff is a well prepared group!
In our game against Nevada, both teams were huddled up and there was an assistant coach from each team watching the other team intently. It this case I think they are watching the substitutions. But I thought it was pretty funny both of these guys were kind of staring at each other trying to get info while also block the others view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 17th, 2019, 10:22 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:We do this a lot. I was watching a game on TV one night and during a TO we had one of our Assiant coaches watching the other teams huddle and relaying info back to ours. This staff is a well prepared group!
Actually just teams do this. I didn't really notice they did this until the Air Force game. Hard not to notice the two guys in their Air Force uniforms staring at the Aggie huddle taking notes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » March 17th, 2019, 10:36 am

At all of our home games, I saw the opposing conference point guards consistently looking at our bench to see what was being called or changing defenses based on what our on-court call was. All teams do this.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 17th, 2019, 10:40 am

newhouse9 wrote:At all of our home games, I saw the opposing conference point guards consistently looking at our bench to see what was being called or changing defenses based on what our on-court call was. All teams do this.
We call very few offensive sets. Smith said we only have two or three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 17th, 2019, 10:49 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 7:23 am
Did you guys see Porter on SDSU’s final play before half?
He was watching SDSU’s coach as Watson brought it down, when the coach signaled the play to Watson, Porter turned to our bench and called out the counter defense. Their coach saw Porter do this and changed the play to something else, as soon as he changed it Porter saw the new sign and turned to signal a different counter defense. Their coach just looked frustrated. The play turned into a trap on Watson and eventually a terrible layup attempt on the fly by a bench player with no chance.
Our guys must spend hours and hours watching film.
Hipster, you're a strong detail man to sort that out... Thank you and I want to see the game replay so I pay more attention to the details on the court. WELL DONE my man. WELL DONE.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Interesting thread. We only have 2-3 sets but probably many variations that players run based on what defense is giving. On the other hand at the end of the SDSU-Nevada game, without any timeouts Nevada looked completely lost even with 4 seniors on court. No sets, just 1-1 with bad shot. Contrast to ore team who still runs great plays at the end, even with a walk - on sophomore point guard.

Locked Previous topicNext topic