State dominance in football and basketball! Has it ever happened before?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Detroit-Aggie

State dominance in football and basketball! Has it ever happened before?

Post by Detroit-Aggie » March 17th, 2019, 12:47 am

I wonder when (if ever) was the last time Utah State was the only Utah school to finish the season ranked in football, AND the only Utah school in the NCAA tournament, both in the same year...

Any sports history buffs know? If this is a first, is it a big deal or a minor footnote?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: State dominance in football and basketball! Has it ever happened before?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 17th, 2019, 2:38 am

Never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 17th, 2019, 8:38 am

Not in my lifetime and I'm 41.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 17th, 2019, 11:41 am

Unfortunately in my opinion, it's hard to claim dominance when we lose head to head especially by a large margin.

But we do have a lot to be excited about and the bottom line is this is the first year I remember that we have been great at both basketball and football.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 17th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 11:41 am
Unfortunately in my opinion, it's hard to claim dominance when we lose head to head especially by a large margin.

But we do have a lot to be excited about and the bottom line is this is the first year I remember that we have been great at both basketball and football.
Agreed. Claiming dominance over the state when our only victories are against Weber and UVU and a loss from BYU and not even playing Utah doesn't make sense. We are likely the best team in the state at this point, and could beat BYU and Utah if we played right now, but I think any claim of "dominance" is unearned this year.
You can't make the claim for football when we only played against one out of the six D1 teams in the state.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 1:31 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Agreed. Claiming dominance over the state when our only victories are against Weber and UVU and a loss from BYU and not even playing Utah doesn't make sense. We are likely the best team in the state at this point, and could beat BYU and Utah if we played right now, but I think any claim of "dominance" is unearned this year.
You can't make the claim for football when we only played against one out of the six D1 teams in the state.
Likely? Every metric would disagree with you. We are the better team and it’s not even close.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
LKGates

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm
NAggsty Butler wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 1:31 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Likely? Every metric would disagree with you. We are the better team and it’s not even close.
I say likely because games are played by human beings, not computers. Nevada was better than pretty much everybody and they collapsed at the end of the season.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 18th, 2019, 9:20 am

Damn if feels good to be an Aggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 18th, 2019, 10:01 pm

You know what's crazy? I suspect we'll be better in both sports next year. Basketball for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 19th, 2019, 7:45 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 10:01 pm
You know what's crazy? I suspect we'll be better in both sports next year. Basketball for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Honestly, I don't know how we could get much better in hoops or football for that matter. In hoops, we won a couple of games we probably should have lost (@ Boise State, @ New Mexico) and lost a couple of games we'd like to have back. In football we lost to who we should have lost to. Beating Boise State would be awesome but beating LSU is going to be a tall order.

Locked Previous topicNext topic