Conference Tournament Thoughts

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Conference Tournament Thoughts

Post by Aggie84025 » March 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm

This was my first time to the MW tournament. I attended the Fresno and SDSU games. I used to go to all the tournaments in the WAC and Big West.

-Really enjoyed the Thomas & Mack. When UNLV improves that has the potential to be a tough place to play.
-Wide concourses to navigate easily. Food options were fantastic.
-Thought the Aggie crowd on Saturday was fantastic, loud and engaged. Very impressed with the turnout. Things are certainly turning the corner for the basketball program.
-Overall was a very positive experience. I look forward to attending in the future.

GeoAg

Re: Conference Tournament Thoughts

Post by GeoAg » March 17th, 2019, 9:29 pm

How was the Aggie crowd compared to the SDSU crowd? I kept hearing on the conference board it was basically going to be a roadie for the Ags with a crowd that was 75% Aztec. Didn't sound that way on tv.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 17th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I actually think we had more. Very good turnout.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » March 17th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Definitely sounded like an Aggie majority from the TV.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I thought the crowd numbers slightly favored sdsu. Most fun I've had at a MWC tournament. Already making plans for next year.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
ChicAggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm

I was there and I would say it was 60/40 for SDSU. Usu fans were louder but that’s because there was a lot more to cheer about.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieChicAggiesneed

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 18th, 2019, 11:07 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm
I was there and I would say it was 60/40 for SDSU. Usu fans were louder but that’s because there was a lot more to cheer about.
Agreed, a few more SDSU fans but ire team took their fans out of the game with the 13-0 start to the second half and SDSU not scoring the first five minutes. Lots off fans sitting in their hands aren't very loud.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 18th, 2019, 11:09 am

What made it hard to judge was that USU fans were spread throughout the entire arena where SDSU fans were more concentrated to 1/4 of the arena. The fan bases that fill in entire sections and/or group together always look like they have more even when they perhaps don't.

sneed

Post by sneed » March 18th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Aglicious wrote:What made it hard to judge was that USU fans were spread throughout the entire arena where SDSU fans were more concentrated to 1/4 of the arena. The fan bases that fill in entire sections and/or group together always look like they have more even when they perhaps don't.
I agree. We looked like a lot when people stood for the Scotsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » March 18th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:54 pm
That’s what I thought the breakdown was too. I do think their fans were a little louder in the first half, but they very quiet most of the second half.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm
This was my first time to the MW tournament. I attended the Fresno and SDSU games. I used to go to all the tournaments in the WAC and Big West.

-Really enjoyed the Thomas & Mack. When UNLV improves that has the potential to be a tough place to play.
-Thought the Aggie crowd on Saturday was fantastic, loud and engaged. Very impressed with the turnout. Things are certainly turning the corner for the basketball program.
-Overall was a very positive experience. I look forward to attending in the future.
Glad you had a good time. This was one of the more well attended tourneys since we have joined the MWC and the most Aggie and Pack fans I have seen too.

I will say that it was odd to not see Wyoming fans this year, they usually travel very well and are one of the top 3 fan bases (as far as numbers) every year. I guess they had seen enough of their team this year and stayed home. UNM always travels well and SDSU represents too. CSU, Fresno St., AFA, and SJSU never have large numbers there and it was no different this year.

Funny you say that about the T&M. UNLV fans think the place is a dump and want it demolished for something new and better. Perhaps that a bit of a reflection of the difference between Las Vegas and a place like Logan but I've always wished we had something half as nice as the T&M.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 18th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Glad you had a good time. This was one of the more well attended tourneys since we have joined the MWC and the most Aggie and Pack fans I have seen too.

I will say that it was odd to not see Wyoming fans this year, they usually travel very well and are one of the top 3 fan bases (as far as numbers) every year. I guess they had seen enough of their team this year and stayed home. UNM always travels well and SDSU represents too. CSU, Fresno St., AFA, and SJSU never have large numbers there and it was no different this year.

Funny you say that about the T&M. UNLV fans think the place is a dump and want it demolished for something new and better. Perhaps that a bit of a reflection of the difference between Las Vegas and a place like Logan but I've always wished we had something half as nice as the T&M.
So like a topless T&M?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aglicious

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 18th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Aglicious wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm
I really like the T&M but I'm still trying to figure out what the last renovation did. They just did $72m in upgrades to the arena a couple of years ago and it looks EXACTLY the same as it did before. This was completed before the new video board this year which is the only change I've really noticed since I've started going to games there.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 18th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Just based on my tv viewing, I was really impressed with the UNM contingent. I thought the same during our game in Albuquerque, too. Even during slump years those fans show up strong.

Locked Previous topicNext topic