Nebraska not coming for Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Nebraska not coming for Smith

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 20th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie_in_IdahoBigRedAggiesneed

BigRedAggie

Re: Nebraska not coming for Smith

Post by BigRedAggie » March 20th, 2019, 10:34 pm

So excited Aggies get to keep Smith, and big red getting the mayor.

These users thanked the author BigRedAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 20th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Now maybe they can finally get that elusive NCAA tourney win.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
BigRedAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 20th, 2019, 10:42 pm

This never made sense anyway. Why would you hire the disciple of the guy you’re firing?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
ViAggie

ususports

Post by ususports » March 20th, 2019, 11:12 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 10:42 pm
This never made sense anyway. Why would you hire the disciple of the guy you’re firing?
Because he is a great coach.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
ViAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am

ususports wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 11:12 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
True, but you would also figure that right away it would be a tough sell to get a guy to replace his mentor.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ususports

Post by ususports » March 21st, 2019, 9:24 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am
ususports wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
True, but you would also figure that right away it would be a tough sell to get a guy to replace his mentor.
Using that logic, Duryea is a fantastic head coach, and we should have kept him. I realize this example is the opposite direction, but Stew Morrill and Tim Duryea are from the same coaching tree, and their results couldn’t be more opposite. You can’t put too much weight into who was their mentor.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 21st, 2019, 10:24 am

ususports wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 9:24 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 7:31 am
ususports wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Using that logic, Duryea is a fantastic head coach, and we should have kept him. I realize this example is the opposite direction, but Stew Morrill and Tim Duryea are from the same coaching tree, and their results couldn’t be more opposite. You can’t put too much weight into who was their mentor.
If we had fired Stew for poor performance, I don't know that Duryea would have accepted the position if he had been at another school. The situations are very different.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 21st, 2019, 10:43 am

I love coach Smith and I'm excited we have him, but bigger programs looking to hire someone would not be able to justify hiring a guy who hasn't been on the job at his current place of employment less than a year. This could just be a fluke (it's not but why would they risk it?). They will come for Smith eventually, but he got to at least get wet behind the ears a little before he gets any looks.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 21st, 2019, 10:56 am

Keep telling yourself that. Don’t know if he stays or goes but don’t think other big programs won’t look

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » March 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

I hope he talks to GA, Stew and now maybe even his mentor Tim Miles about the virtues of staying somewhere that will give you some long term stability vs chasing the bigger stage. In basketball I think there is less of a gap between in competitiveness between the P5 and G5 and you can build a very successful program at our level that competes nationally. Sure they P5 will always be able to pay more. But there are other factors that are very much in our favor. Ultimately we just need to pay him the best we can and support him and the program with attendance and a great home atmosphere and what happens will happen. We often rarely know what a coaches ambitions and priorities are...though MW made them readily apparent.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 21st, 2019, 11:27 am

Alright, it's about time we had this talk.

What guarantee does Smith have that he can maintain stability here? While he has proven that he can win at Utah State, and it is more likely that you can win at a place like USU in the MWC than Nebraska in the B1G, things could obviously go wrong for him here too. A couple of years with younger guys that don't quite mesh like this group, followed by a year full of injuries could just as easily see him in dire straits in Logan.

The flip side of the coin is that you will be making more coin. So in three years at Nebraska he could make the same as he would in ten years in Logan. The only difference being that he could certainly get another job if he flames out in Lincoln, while failing at a place like USU would be viewed as less forgivable.

I want Coach Smith to stick around forever and ever because I think he will continue to win, but I don't think it's as obvious a decision as some here do. Wells, in my estimation, played his cards right. He was fortunate to get USU turned around (and a lot of that may have coincided with Hartwell influencing things), and he cashed in while he could. He is set for life because of one contract at Texas Tech. Maybe he does well in Lubbock (I doubt it), but even if he doesn't he has earned generational money for his family.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » March 21st, 2019, 11:46 am

I know what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree with you. If he has more successful seasons here there will be more leeway for a bad year or two vs the better P5 programs. I'm not naive and realize how this could play out, but like I said at the end of my post, you don't know what motivates a man. It might not be money. I feel USU is a great spot and has a lot going for it as far as a basketball tradition, Stew proved what can be done here on a long term basis.

Also, I don't know that anyone here has said it's an obvious decision that he should stay here. In fact it's the opposite most feel that when the success comes the decision will be too leave. My point is that we are compelling job should he wish to stay long term and depending on Coach Smith's motivations that situation might make sense.

I for sure hope for that.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 21st, 2019, 11:55 am

Relax. He isn't going anywhere this year. We are poised to have a huge year next year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 21st, 2019, 12:24 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 11:55 am
Relax. He isn't going anywhere this year. We are poised to have a huge year next year.

As long as Queta is still around. He may get good feedback after he declares and then go pro.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 21st, 2019, 5:15 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 12:24 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 21st, 2019, 11:55 am

As long as Queta is still around. He may get good feedback after he declares and then go pro.
Same reason I think Queta sticks around one more year.

Both Smith and Queta can still raise their profile considerably, we will be very good

Locked Previous topicNext topic