Game Observations!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Game Observations!

Post by Aggie84025 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:29 pm

Disappointing end to the season, but still proud to be an aggie. We way overachieved this year and am super proud of the team.

-UW's length and zone was really well. Give them credit. Thybulle dominates the game without be a huge scorer.
-When we passed it to the center of the zone in the paint it seemed we passed up a lot of fairly easy 15 foot shots.
-Merrill was not good, but credit their defense. I love Sam he is an awesome player, but it did not seem he was working hard enough to get the ball. I am no expert by any means.
-Thought Miller played really hard and well. It was nice to see him drive and get a few shots. I would love to see him work on that this offseason.
-I think Queta should be more decisive when he gets the ball in the post. When he waits it seems like he struggles versus just going up with a shot.
-I am not sure why we double down the post to help Queta. There were several times we doubled and then it leaves wide open 3's. Queta is more than capable to defend by himself.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
SLBaggies22

ineptimusprime

Re: Game Observations!

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:29 pm
Disappointing end to the season, but still proud to be an aggie. We way overachieved this year and am super proud of the team.

-UW's length and zone was really well. Give them credit. Thybulle dominates the game without be a huge scorer.
-When we passed it to the center of the zone in the paint it seemed we passed up a lot of fairly easy 15 foot shots.
-Merrill was not good, but credit their defense. I love Sam he is an awesome player, but it did not seem he was working hard enough to get the ball. I am no expert by any means.
-Thought Miller played really hard and well. It was nice to see him drive and get a few shots. I would love to see him work on that this offseason.
-I think Queta should be more decisive when he gets the ball in the post. When he waits it seems like he struggles versus just going up with a shot.
-I am not sure why we double down the post to help Queta. There were several times we doubled and then it leaves wide open 3's. Queta is more than capable to defend by himself.
I thought Miller had a really nice game. Porter was okay. Pretty much everyone else was junk.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
trevordude

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 22nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Our lack of ball handling abilities was exposed again. Last time Porter figured things out, but this level of pressure kept us immobile.

Not sent from Tapatalk

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » March 22nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Thybulle lived up to the hype. Reminds me of kahwi in college. If he can develop a jumpshot hes going to be a very good pro.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » March 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

Syracuse has made deep runs in the NCAA, even as a double digit seed. That Syracuse zone, that Washington plays also, give almost everyone fits if they haven't played against it. Washington's record dropped in the second half of their PAC12 schedule once teams had played against it once.

It is hard for a coach to prepare a team for it. They have to experience it.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Aggiewest wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm
Syracuse has made deep runs in the NCAA, even as a double digit seed. That Syracuse zone, that Washington plays also, give almost everyone fits if they haven't played against it. Washington's record dropped in the second half of their PAC12 schedule once teams had played against it once.

[This is why Syracuse makes a lot of deep runs in the tournament. If you have not seen it before it is hard to prepare for. What makes it tough is they have so much length and speed.]

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

Yeah that zone is tough, it takes some movement, synchronized movement to break it. There were several times where it looked like the middle was opened and we didn't take advantage. You can't just stand around.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » March 22nd, 2019, 7:59 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm
Aggiewest wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

[This is why Syracuse makes a lot of deep runs in the tournament. If you have not seen it before it is hard to prepare for. What makes it tough is they have so much length and speed.]
You're right that it takes great athletes and length to really make that zone effective. A lot teams don't have the personnel to play it at that level.

HuskyHugh
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by HuskyHugh » March 22nd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

Y’all (I can't express myself without swearing) up by not pressing us all 40 mins of the game. We’ve sucked all year at it.

I thought you would have seen that was obvious after the first time you did it

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 22nd, 2019, 8:32 pm

HuskyHugh wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:18 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

Y’all f*** up by not pressing us all 40 mins of the game. We’ve sucked all year at it.

I thought you would have seen that was obvious after the first time you did it
You mean at the last 5 minutes?

Where only sage brush grows

AggieMeister

Post by AggieMeister » March 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

It all came down to shooting. Despite the 21 turnovers, the Aggies actually took three more shots than Washington. The difference? We shot 35% and they shot 49%. We had double the offensive boards and an overall rebound advantage of +6.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 8:38 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

Queta had a rough game, and shots were not going his way. He missed easy shots.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 8:40 pm

AggieMeister wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:37 pm
It all came down to shooting. Despite the 21 turnovers, the Aggies actually took three more shots than Washington. The difference? We shot 35% and they shot 49%. We had double the offensive boards and an overall rebound advantage of +6.
The 3 point shooting of Washington was crazy. In NCAA tournament to be like the season average for Washington, they have to shoot close to 10% on 3s in their next game.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 22nd, 2019, 8:50 pm

I enjoyed Chris Weber calling the game. I think he does pretty good.

The keep saying Sam is a senior and they even said once that Queta is a Sophomore. Nah ah, we will be back full force next year.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 9:28 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:50 pm
I enjoyed Chris Weber calling the game. I think he does pretty good.

The keep saying Sam is a senior and they even said once that Queta is a Sophomore. Nah ah, we will be back full force next year.
They called Washington "Washington State". lol

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

I’ve wondered why we double the post as well.

My theory is we do it to get the ball out of the post so Queta doesn’t have to guard the ball since he tends to foul in that situation. So I’ve assumed it was to protect him from fouling but that’s just my speculation.

I think I’d prefer to just let him play straight up and hope he doesn’t foul. The double left us scattered at times and resulted in open 3s for them.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 22nd, 2019, 9:44 pm

I've wondered how it is we were able to beat Nevada, a "team" with size and talent comparable to Washington. I put the word team in quotations simply because Washington, unlike Nevada, showed that as a team it understands the concept of playing as a team. And, clearly (depressingly) the better team tonight by far.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 22nd, 2019, 10:04 pm

I thought our spacing on offense was terrible. Washington was able to overplay the three line above the break all game. We did nothing to space them out.

Locked Previous topicNext topic