The best part

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

The best part

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm

Next year's team should be a lot better.
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I would not be surprised if we went unbeaten in the MWC schedule next season.

brian5562

Re: The best part

Post by brian5562 » March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm

I love Porter but he needs to be coming off the bench.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 9:07 pm

SLB wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:03 pm
3 of the key players were freshmen this year, and we have 3 new forwards coming in next season.
I sure hope so, but I think we have a similar record as this year.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 22nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

SLB wrote:
Unbeaten is a big dream that is near impossible to achieve.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
donlarson8

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

I think this team lacked an athletic penetrating guard to take the pressure off Sam, an athletic wing defender, and a stretch big.

We could also have used another big in the rotation.

I think if Grootfam is healthy and Knight improves we can fill those holes with current guys and this class. We should be really good next year. We will probably have a similar record but be better equipped for March.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm

Yeah the feeling of this loss is much different than 2011. That was the end of an era, this is the start of something big.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm
Yeah the feeling of this loss is much different than 2011. That was the end of an era, this is the start of something big.
I mean, we bring back every contributor but one, bring in our highest rated recruit ever (McChesney), a 6’7 JC guy (Anderson), and the younger brother of a MW legend and former NBA player (Bairstow).

I’m also excited to see what Grootfaam brings to the table. If he is good for some toughness, dunking, and rebounding, then that’s great. It’ll be nice to have a wide load down low to back up Queta.

Much different than that last Wesley team. Could still br some more departures and additions too.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Intermeddler

SLB

Post by SLB » March 22nd, 2019, 9:30 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
I think this team lacked an athletic penetrating guard to take the pressure off Sam, an athletic wing defender, and a stretch big.

We could also have used another big in the rotation.

I think if Grootfam is healthy and Knight improves we can fill those holes with current guys and this class. We should be really good next year. We will probably have a similar record but be better equipped for March.
The wing part might be not a problem next season.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Intermeddler

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm

brian5562 wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
Yeah, I think we can be fine in conference play with him starting, but you're right, for us to be a threat on a national level, he needs to be coming off the bench.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 22nd, 2019, 11:28 pm

This takes a bit of the luster for Smith and Quetta leaving off. I think next year could be huge, the team learned a lot tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 22nd, 2019, 11:35 pm

McChesney will be our second best shooter the moment he steps on campus.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 23rd, 2019, 4:10 am

We better do well in our ooc games because the mwc might only get one bid and it is easy to slip up in the conference tournament. Go Aggies

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 23rd, 2019, 5:36 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:20 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm
I mean, we bring back every contributor but one, bring in our highest rated recruit ever (McChesney), a 6’7 JC guy (Anderson), and the younger brother of a MW legend and former NBA player (Bairstow).

I’m also excited to see what Grootfaam brings to the table. If he is good for some toughness, dunking, and rebounding, then that’s great. It’ll be nice to have a wide load down low to back up Queta.

Much different than that last Wesley team. Could still br some more departures and additions too.
I thought Kolpe was the highest rated recruit ever? Additionally, did he end up becoming the greatest Aggie of all time? My memory is fuzzy.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

I feel like a lot of posters on this board are greatly underrating the chances Neemi goes to the NBA.

Here's hoping the Aggies get one more year with him, but I expect him to leave. Yes, he has a LONG way to go, but he has already proven he is Rudy Gobert relative to the Mountain West. He needs to play against better competition.

Neemi showed all of his flaws against UW, but he flashed plenty of potential as well. With the dearth of big man prospects in this draft, someone will want him late in the first round. Staying another year would be pretty risky.
These users thanked the author MarioWest for the post:
TrueBlue

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 23rd, 2019, 10:33 am

Neemias can definelty benefit from another year of school. I guess he could go the D-league instead. He's been here for what? 6 months? He was a here a month before the season started. I'm not sure on timing. Give him a year to get better and look out. He needs to hit the weight room. If you hear basketball people talk, they say that you get better over the summer. That's when you put the work in.

I would not be surprised if we have a worst record next year BUT a better team. 14-4 could win the MW next year.
We might even schedule some tougher OOC teams as well. We need that experience.

SLB

Post by SLB » March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am

brian5562 wrote:
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
sneed

afausu

Post by afausu » March 23rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

I sat next to a scout for the Denver Nuggets last Saturday during the championship game that was evaluating Queta and McDaniels from SDSU. He said Queta definitely needs another year.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

SLB wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am
brian5562 wrote:
Porter improved a lot this season. Let's see how Porter plays next season before judging how good Porter is.
Porter has been a good contributor, but I think a better PG would be huge for next season. Someone fast and under control that can get to the hoop and either make a normal looking layup or dish to a big. Outside of Sam and Queta, I think who starts will depend on the talent coming in.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm

MarioWest wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am
I feel like a lot of posters on this board are greatly underrating the chances Neemi goes to the NBA.

Here's hoping the Aggies get one more year with him, but I expect him to leave. Yes, he has a LONG way to go, but he has already proven he is Rudy Gobert relative to the Mountain West. He needs to play against better competition.

Neemi showed all of his flaws against UW, but he flashed plenty of potential as well. With the dearth of big man prospects in this draft, someone will want him late in the first round. Staying another year would be pretty risky.
I don’t have a clue what Queta will do next year re: the draft. But in searching all of the mock drafts of the Top 30 (1st round) and Top 60 (1st and 2nd rounds) picks his name appears nowhere. SDS’ McDaniels name appears frequently and the names of the Martin Twins appear, but no Queta. I seriously doubt that any NBA team takes a flyer on him this year, but he could find a place overseas.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » March 23rd, 2019, 3:58 pm

SLB wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
We can’t wait another season

We need a significant upgrade at that position if want to win in the ncaa tournament, I like porter a lot and he can still be a big part of our success coming off the bench. We need someone to take the pressure off of Merrill, someone that can get to the basket and create their own shot or a good shot for someone else.
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post:
Intermeddler

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » March 24th, 2019, 7:21 am

utaggies wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 3:25 pm
MarioWest wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

I don’t have a clue what Queta will do next year re: the draft. But in searching all of the mock drafts of the Top 30 (1st round) and Top 60 (1st and 2nd rounds) picks his name appears nowhere. SDS’ McDaniels name appears frequently and the names of the Martin Twins appear, but no Queta. I seriously doubt that any NBA team takes a flyer on him this year, but he could find a place overseas.
The most recent SI mock had him at 29 to the Spurs.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » March 24th, 2019, 9:30 am

Pacobag wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm
SLB wrote:
brian5562 wrote:
Porter has been a good contributor, but I think a better PG would be huge for next season. Someone fast and under control that can get to the hoop and either make a normal looking layup or dish to a big. Outside of Sam and Queta, I think who starts will depend on the talent coming in.
Yes, we need another piece but it is a need based on our overall guard personnel and not just our point guard. I think Abel’s shooting is very underrated. He could easily be the guy that slides over to the two spot to give Merrill a rest twice a game. He is also very good at recognizing good opportunities and not forcing things. He can really thread the needle to Quetta, passes in the paint that are not easy. The problem is when Porter, Merrill, and Miller are all on the floor together It can be great for certain teams and defenses, but we need the personnel that can counter and take advantage of an overly aggressive defense.

I guess what I’m saying is insert your new described play x at any of the 3 perimeter positions and I would say problem solved. I’m gonna let Smith decide if player x should start or come off the bench. I do think Merrill and Porter need more rest in games than what they got down the stretch this year.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
Pacobag

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 24th, 2019, 10:28 am

SLB wrote:
Nevada just found out how easy it is to run the table in the MW even with a team of very talented 5th-year seniors.....

Just sayin’

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 24th, 2019, 2:34 pm

He might not get drafted and end up in Europe if he comes out. With another year of weight room, nutrition and developing his game more, he could be a lotto pick. Smart decision is to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic