Biggest threat next year in the conference

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Biggest threat next year in the conference

Post by SLB » March 25th, 2019, 4:29 pm

San Diego State
They have a good team next year. Despite losing their starting guards, they got transfer guards who are better.
KJ Feagin and Malachi Flynn are going to play next season on San Diego State.

Madmartigan

Re: Biggest threat next year in the conference

Post by Madmartigan » March 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm

SLB wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:29 pm
San Diego State
They have a good team next year. Despite losing their starting guards, they got transfer guards who are better.
KJ Feagin and Malachi Flynn are going to play next season on San Diego State.
Lobos. They started playing well at the end of the year after they returned to their identity. Their 6'8" sophomore "guard" Vance Jackson is going to be a load to handle.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2019, 4:37 pm

As it stands maybe, a lot can change. We weren’t on anybody’s radar last year.

Our biggest threat is the unknown.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » March 25th, 2019, 4:45 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:37 pm
As it stands maybe, a lot can change. We weren’t on anybody’s radar last year.

Our biggest threat is the unknown.
If someone brings in a 7 foot center NBA prospect, we can be on high alert then. We are the exception, not the rule

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 25th, 2019, 6:12 pm

I am not sold on Malachi Flynn. I went to about 5 home games here at WSU when he was playing here and he is not a very good teammate. He was an extremely good player, but didn't seem to play defense very well and just wasn't a very good team player. I think he fits the mold of SDSU players who are supreme athletes who just can't seem to gel together and make a great team.

That being said, I think they will still be very good.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
aggies22

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 25th, 2019, 7:17 pm

As much as people here will hate it, if Musselman stays at Nevada they will reload and be very good next year.

They have Jazz Johnson and Jordan Brown.

San Jose States two best players are transfering :bangwall:

Bauman and Steadman.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 25th, 2019, 7:25 pm

The more good teams in the conference the better.

Apaaaarrreeently SDSU has Durrant 2.0 and Curry 2.0

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » March 25th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Boise State will be better. Not sure if they are the biggest threat but as I have said in previous posts several teams in our conference will be improved next year. We better improve as well or we will find ourselves not meeting newly raised expectations. I have confidence we will be better next year. Smith will blend in some new pieces and we can hopefully be dominant.
Hopefully our conference mates can win some quality non conference games and we can become a multi atlarge bid conference again.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 25th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Brown couldn't see the floor and they lose 8 players. I doubt Nevada will be much better than above average next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 25th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Lobos. They started playing well at the end of the year after they returned to their identity. Their 6'8" sophomore "guard" Vance Jackson is going to be a load to handle.
I agree 100% with you. Without McDaniels, I just don't see SDSU being quite as good.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 26th, 2019, 8:59 am

nswaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 8:30 pm
Boise State will be better. Not sure if they are the biggest threat but as I have said in previous posts several teams in our conference will be improved next year. We better improve as well or we will find ourselves not meeting newly raised expectations. I have confidence we will be better next year. Smith will blend in some new pieces and we can hopefully be dominant.
Hopefully our conference mates can win some quality non conference games and we can become a multi atlarge bid conference again.
Agree with this. I think Boise will finish top 4 next year. They lost a ton of games by just a few points. They gave us all we could handle in Boise. Rice is a good coach.

It will be interesting to see what Nevada does next year losing so many seniors. I wonder if Musselman could set up an offense?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 26th, 2019, 9:05 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 8:59 am
nswaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 8:30 pm
Agree with this. I think Boise will finish top 4 next year. They lost a ton of games by just a few points. They gave us all we could handle in Boise. Rice is a good coach.

It will be interesting to see what Nevada does next year losing so many seniors. I wonder if Musselman could set up an offense?
Boise State is getting some transfers next year...not sure there eligibility (when they can play). But remember Emmanuel Akot from Wasatch Academy? Then also a high end transfer from Oregon. Now granted those guys weren't performing as expected but still talented guys that add length and athleticism. This article references both.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 51155.html
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » March 26th, 2019, 11:26 am

We must remember that Nevada was expected to be conference champions and excel in the NCAA tourney. Last years team was much like ours, young but amazing. This year they laid an egg. Now, their coach and attitude could be referenced for their lack of performance this year, but we can't just assume that we will walk over the conference and repeat as champions next year. This conference can change on a dime. Teams can come together, philosophies can change, and a team can move from being expected to finish 8th in conference to being conference champions. I HOPE that we can repeat, and do better in the NCAA tourney next year, but by no means do I expect it. This year was amazing, I hope net year is too. I am going into it with hope but my expectation is that we finish third, that way, if we do better I am pleasantly surprised!

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 26th, 2019, 5:59 pm

BioAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 11:26 am
We must remember that Nevada was expected to be conference champions and excel in the NCAA tourney. Last years team was much like ours, young but amazing. This year they laid an egg. Now, their coach and attitude could be referenced for their lack of performance this year, but we can't just assume that we will walk over the conference and repeat as champions next year. This conference can change on a dime. Teams can come together, philosophies can change, and a team can move from being expected to finish 8th in conference to being conference champions. I HOPE that we can repeat, and do better in the NCAA tourney next year, but by no means do I expect it. This year was amazing, I hope net year is too. I am going into it with hope but my expectation is that we finish third, that way, if we do better I am pleasantly surprised!
You are talking about the same Nevada that plays in the MW, right?

Because...
A) Their team last year won 2 tournament games, we won 0. Their team last year is not much like ours.
B) They went cold at the wrong time of year and laid an egg in the tournament. But they went 29 -4 and finished ranked 20th. Higher than we did.
C) Lack of performance? Better record than us, ranked higher, share regular season tittle.

The rest I agree with.

I can't believe I keep defending Nevada...

Locked Previous topicNext topic