Article: 2018 Football Attendance Worst in Decades

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSox

Article: 2018 Football Attendance Worst in Decades

Post by AggieSox » March 27th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I knew it was getting worse, but this has the actual data about teams, conferences, etc...

MWC is one of the worst right now.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -22-years/

Mr. Sneelock

Re: Article: 2018 Football Attendance Worst in Decades

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 27th, 2019, 2:11 pm

I don't know how to fix it, but TV is obviously a major driving factor. Games look and sound awfully good on my 120" surround sound theater.

In addition, while going to games is certainly fun, but there are some real downsides to a lot of folks (casual fans especially) that can't be ignored. Obviously not all of these apply to USU, or to every fan, but certainly some apply to almost everyone. I can think of a number of them right of the top of my head.

1. The drive to and from the stadium
2. Parking fees
3. High priced concessions
4. Long lines
5. Traffic
6. Often inclement weather (or hot sun)
7. High ticket prices vs other forms of entertainment
8. Late/early start times
9. Weeknight games
10. Uncomfortable stadium seating vs my couch
11. Miss a bunch of other good games
12. Babysitter costs
13. Interferes with other recreation (hunting, etc.)
14. Interference with kids' sports and activities (my kids beat out the Ags every time)
15. Interference with yard work/projects
16. Going to a football game literally takes my entire day.
17. Rising cost of college education (e.g., USU got enough of my money when I went to school there).
18. In many ways, the HDTV experience is better (commentators, replays, better views, etc.) Before HD/4K, I don't think you could say the same thing.

There are obviously more. When I think about all of the above that apply to me, sitting home on my comfy couch sounds pretty great. Some of these sound like bad excuses, but they are legit, and none of them has anything to do with whether the team is winning or losing. Universities need to figure out how to mitigate these factors, or just accept smaller in-stadium crowds. I don't have the answers, but I would expect attendance to keep dropping. The question is whether the benefits of in-person attendance outweighs enough of the negatives. The product has to compete in an ever-more-competitive market, and frankly, I don't know if it can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
rileys1958

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » March 27th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Those are good points. I think most can be addressed, but the overall experience is what will beat out staying at home. I'm not saying USU is there now for football, but the electricity of being in the spectrum when it's rocking can't be replicated at home. Would be great to get that going for mofars, too.

Aggies All the Way!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm

You hit it right on the head. What is going to make the experience of being in the stadium more appealing than sitting on your couch. That is the code that needs to be cracked.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » March 27th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Well, it helps that I live 20 minutes from the stadium and my couch and 40" tv really aren't that much more comfortable unless the weather is really bad.

And I don't get to hear the band at home.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 27th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Looking at Utah State only, I would say we are on track for a big jump next year. Between the return of Gary, the success of last year's team, the success of the basketball team (yes, it matters for football too), and our home slate we are probably going to see a big spike in attendance.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 27th, 2019, 4:33 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 4:27 pm
Looking at Utah State only, I would say we are on track for a big jump next year. Between the return of Gary, the success of last year's team, the success of the basketball team (yes, it matters for football too), and our home slate we are probably going to see a big spike in attendance.
And a better home schedule.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 27th, 2019, 4:41 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 3:58 pm
You hit it right on the head. What is going to make the experience of being in the stadium more appealing than sitting on your couch. That is the code that needs to be cracked.
Parts of the code have been cracked but schools/the ncaa don't want to do it.

Step 1: Make concessions a normal price. If you need to build another concession stand thats a good sign.

Step 2: Let the players celebrate! Let them do a touchdown dance with their teammates.

Step 3: This one is tough but win. Win for years. Not just one year. Clemson and Bama aren't hurting for empty seats (for example)

Step 4: Cut down the breaks in the game. Make it more consistently under 3 hours.

Step 5: Run fun passing offenses (we saw that last year hopefully it continues)

Step 6: For some stadiums, make the seats bigger so people aren't crammed. Also just make the seats more comfortable.

Step 7: Sell group tickets for "cheap". I get that this is great for the fans but can cost the pocketbook but hey we want a full stadium right? (This should be higher on the list)

Step 8: Give people good wifi in the stadium.

Step 9: For mostly out of Utah, sell booze. Its been shown to help attendance.

Step 10: Make parking easy and cheap

Step 11: Do promotions. If the opposing team misses a field goal in the 4th quarter everyone in the stadium gets free food at some place in town. If the home team wins by more than 14 the fans get a discount at a local place. If the entire stadium has attendance over x, free hot dog coupons for everyone. If its over y for all 6 games, every fan gets something of medium value.

Step 12: Same as 11 but for the student section.

Step 13: Win. Did I mention this? I did? Well I am going to say it again.

Step 14: Good kickoff times, what ever that means for your community.

Step 15: For the NCAA, require conferences play a 8 game schedule, then 1 game at P5, 1 game vs P5, 1 game vs G5 and 1 game at G5 for every single team. An FCS team can be subbed in for the vs G5. This would really help G5 attendance, even if it is just Bama fans swarming ULM's stadium.

Step 16: At USU increase tailgate culture, (or potlucks like that BYU-P lady said.) Make it a part of the valley culture. Have ward parties before the game in the parking lot. Family reunions. Go home teaching in the parking lot. Make it so the events in the valley start planning around the home games so that people don't have to.

Step 17: Distinct USU problem, get Frontrunner into Logan so the travel is much easier for fans. Have buses from Frontrunner to the stadium that are cheap (if not free like the current buses.) The canyon and main street traffic can be terrible. Don't give people the excuse. <- This is an issue of Logan City. UTA said they have tried.

Step 18: Media blackout in the valley. I know it sucks for people who can't go to the game but would help.

Step 19: Give free/cheap tickets to kids/high school students. Parent tickets can also be bought with them at a discounted rate.

Step 20: Teach that USU is the Lord's football team. That should help right?
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 4):
USU78Aggie_in_IdahosneedTrueBlueFan

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » March 27th, 2019, 4:58 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 4:41 pm
NVAggie wrote:

Step 4: Cut down the breaks in the game. Make it more consistently under 3 hours.

Pretty good list all things considered, but Steps 4 and 5 are in direct conflict with one another. The more pass-heavy the offense, the longer the game.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 27th, 2019, 5:16 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

Pretty good list all things considered, but Steps 4 and 5 are in direct conflict with one another. The more pass-heavy the offense, the longer the game.
True, but the TV timeouts are incredibly long if you are sitting in the stadium. They kill crowd enthusiasm too. They don't seem as long when watching on TV for some reason.

Honestly, I think the various schools and the NCAA need to decide whether they want all the TV money or want big in-person crowds. I'm not sure you can really have both outside of a few exceptional programs.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 27th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:I don't know how to fix it, but TV is obviously a major driving factor. Games look and sound awfully good on my 120" surround sound theater.

In addition, while going to games is certainly fun, but there are some real downsides to a lot of folks (casual fans especially) that can't be ignored. Obviously not all of these apply to USU, or to every fan, but certainly some apply to almost everyone. I can think of a number of them right of the top of my head.

2. Parking fees
4. Long lines
5. Traffic
9. Weeknight games
12. Babysitter costs
14. Interference with kids' sports and activities (my kids beat out the Ags every time)
17. Rising cost of college education (e.g., USU got enough of my money when I went to school there).
18. In many ways, the HDTV experience is better (commentators, replays, better views, etc.) Before HD/4K, I don't think you could say the same thing.

There are obviously more. When I think about all of the above that apply to me, sitting home on my comfy couch sounds pretty great. Some of these sound like bad excuses, but they are legit, and none of them has anything to do with whether the team is winning or losing. Universities need to figure out how to mitigate these factors, or just accept smaller in-stadium crowds. I don't have the answers, but I would expect attendance to keep dropping. The question is whether the benefits of in-person attendance outweighs enough of the negatives. The product has to compete in an ever-more-competitive market, and frankly, I don't know if it can.

You missed one, weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2019, 6:49 pm

These are great, some comments:

Step 1: Make concessions a normal price. If you need to build another concession stand thats a good sign. - True, but how do you pay for #6?

Step 2: Let the players celebrate! Let them do a touchdown dance with their teammates. - I'm kind of okay with this but actually disagree a little with this one, let them celebrate off the field, run out of the EZ to celebrate.

Step 3: This one is tough but win. Win for years. Not just one year. Clemson and Bama aren't hurting for empty seats (for example) - YEP

Step 4: Cut down the breaks in the game. Make it more consistently under 3 hours. YEP

Step 5: Run fun passing offenses (we saw that last year hopefully it continues) YEP

Step 6: For some stadiums, make the seats bigger so people aren't crammed. Also just make the seats more comfortable. Premium seating comes at a premium price. I say do what the airlines do, I know some people hate it, but value pricing for value seating. Some tickets should go for $10 some $100 bucks.

Step 7: Sell group tickets for "cheap". I get that this is great for the fans but can cost the pocketbook but hey we want a full stadium right? (This should be higher on the list) - Absolutely

Step 8: Give people good wifi in the stadium. - it's the world we live in, no reason to fight it

Step 9: For mostly out of Utah, sell booze. Its been shown to help attendance. - Most venues have craft beers and specialty drinks and people respond very positively, willing to shell out $12 for a Moscow Mule or a Stone IPA. It's just the way you have to compete these days

Step 10: Make parking easy and cheap - Yep, again, value parking vs 1st class parking. Charge accordingly.

Step 11: Do promotions. If the opposing team misses a field goal in the 4th quarter everyone in the stadium gets free food at some place in town. If the home team wins by more than 14 the fans get a discount at a local place. If the entire stadium has attendance over x, free hot dog coupons for everyone. If its over y for all 6 games, every fan gets something of medium value. Good idea

Step 12: Same as 11 but for the student section - Yep.

Step 13: Win. Did I mention this? I did? Well I am going to say it again. YEP

Step 14: Good kickoff times, what ever that means for your community. This one is tough because now we have every game on TV it seems, and you can't have every game on at the same time, even with the Time zone

Step 15: For the NCAA, require conferences play a 8 game schedule, then 1 game at P5, 1 game vs P5, 1 game vs G5 and 1 game at G5 for every single team. An FCS team can be subbed in for the vs G5. This would really help G5 attendance, even if it is just Bama fans swarming ULM's stadium.

Step 16: At USU increase tailgate culture, (or potlucks like that BYU-P lady said.) Make it a part of the valley culture. Have ward parties before the game in the parking lot. Family reunions. Go home teaching in the parking lot. Make it so the events in the valley start planning around the home games so that people don't have to.

Step 17: Distinct USU problem, get Frontrunner into Logan so the travel is much easier for fans. Have buses from Frontrunner to the stadium that are cheap (if not free like the current buses.) The canyon and main street traffic can be terrible. Don't give people the excuse. <- This is an issue of Logan City. UTA said they have tried.

Step 18: Media blackout in the valley. I know it sucks for people who can't go to the game but would help. Impossible, I don't see how it could be done considering that you can watch pretty much anything now because of technology.

Step 19: Give free/cheap tickets to kids/high school students. Parent tickets can also be bought with them at a discounted rate. - yes, if you don't sell out the "value seating" area, these are the seats to give.

Step 20: Teach that USU is the Lord's football team. That should help right? It couldn't hurt

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » March 27th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 5:30 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:I don't know how to fix it, but TV is obviously a major driving factor. Games look and sound awfully good on my 120" surround sound theater.

2. Parking fees
4. Long lines
5. Traffic
9. Weeknight games
12. Babysitter costs

You missed one, weather.

No he didn't, you missed it. No. 6

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 27th, 2019, 8:32 pm

This commercial that started playing during March Madness struck a chord with me. Got me thinking that USU account put out something similar in spirit. It could be light-hearted, or it could be more earnest in its tone, but a call to Aggies to come to the game and revel in the experience is very much in order.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 27th, 2019, 8:33 pm

#19 is actually a NCAA violation in a way. I brought this up to AD peeps. It gets sticky with HS aged students. Ways around it but can't do it at utst.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 27th, 2019, 8:36 pm

We won't see much of a bump in attendance this year. We did well last year. Probably well enough for 8:00 start times.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 27th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 5:30 pm

2. Parking fees
4. Long lines
5. Traffic
9. Weeknight games
12. Babysitter costs

You missed one, weather.

No he didn't, you missed it. No. 6
My bad.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 28th, 2019, 9:22 am

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 8:33 pm
#19 is actually a NCAA violation in a way. I brought this up to AD peeps. It gets sticky with HS aged students. Ways around it but can't do it at utst.
Yeah. I guess I didn't think of that. I guess my thought was if it is offered to the high school and then the school gives the tickets to the students it isn't us picking students. But yeah I get where it gets tricky.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 28th, 2019, 9:40 am

KISS - keep it simple, stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 28th, 2019, 11:54 am

Sell Costco hot dogs at a Costco price. Volume. :rock:

NIrishAg

Post by NIrishAg » March 28th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Others have mentioned it, but the two biggest things that deter/prevent me from going to more games is:

1. Late start times due to television schedule prevents me from bringing my young family or forces me to leave mid-way through the game.

2. Too many breaks for media time outs and reviews. This has really made it less enjoyable to attend in person.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 28th, 2019, 2:25 pm

When we were all watching on 27" SD TVs, the TV experience wasn't nearly as good as it is now. I honestly think this might be the biggest single factor.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » March 29th, 2019, 8:57 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

Step 1: Make concessions a normal price. If you need to build another concession stand thats a good sign.

Step 2: Let the players celebrate! Let them do a touchdown dance with their teammates.

Step 3: This one is tough but win. Win for years. Not just one year. Clemson and Bama aren't hurting for empty seats (for example) Penn State is cutting the size of their stadium to increase premium seats. Higher revenue, fewer eyeballs/butts. Shakespeare invented the term Eyeball, fyi.

Step 4: Cut down the breaks in the game. Make it more consistently under 3 hours. YES

Step 6: For some stadiums, make the seats bigger so people aren't crammed. Also just make the seats more comfortable. We could put all chairbacks in and get more fans to attend, maybe?

Step 7: Sell group tickets for "cheap". I get that this is great for the fans but can cost the pocketbook but hey we want a full stadium right? (This should be higher on the list). Group sales will not increase sales enough usually. Discount does not get groups to book enough for small number of games.

Step 8: Give people good wifi in the stadium. YES

Step 9: For mostly out of Utah, sell booze. Its been shown to help attendance. Beer should be allowed. Booze, no. :)

Step 10: Make parking easy and cheap. Easy, yes. But parking is expensive to maintain. How many cars per acre vs. the opportunity cost of having a building generating cash flow or research of serving students 24/7.

Step 11: Do promotions. If the opposing team misses a field goal in the 4th quarter everyone in the stadium gets free food at some place in town. If the home team wins by more than 14 the fans get a discount at a local place. If the entire stadium has attendance over x, free hot dog coupons for everyone. If its over y for all 6 games, every fan gets something of medium value. Sponsors can propose these things and so can teams. Depends on market, I bet.

Step 12: Same as 11 but for the student section.

Step 13: Win. Did I mention this? I did? Well I am going to say it again.

Step 14: Good kickoff times, what ever that means for your community. Yes but TV revenue exceeds ticket revenue often.[/b]

Step 15: For the NCAA, require conferences play a 8 game schedule, then 1 game at P5, 1 game vs P5, 1 game vs G5 and 1 game at G5 for every single team. An FCS team can be subbed in for the vs G5. This would really help G5 attendance, even if it is just Bama fans swarming ULM's stadium. That would be great but not going to happen Total FBS revenue would go down because more fans fit in Tiger Stadium(s) than Aggie stadium(s).

Step 16: At USU increase tailgate culture, (or potlucks like that BYU-P lady said.) Make it a part of the valley culture. Have ward parties before the game in the parking lot. Family reunions. Go home teaching in the parking lot. Make it so the events in the valley start planning around the home games so that people don't have to. I do not understand why tailgaiting is restricted at USU. Doh!

Step 18: Media blackout in the valley. I know it sucks for people who can't go to the game but would help. Nah. Culture will change that over time.

Step 19: Give free/cheap tickets to kids/high school students. Parent tickets can also be bought with them at a discounted rate.No. Perceived value is decreased. Charge 5.00 at least. Family tickets are critical culturally in Utah but dang it, they cost the program tens of thousands a year.

Step 20: Teach that USU is the Lord's football team. That should help right? Lord of the Dance? Lord of the Rings? Lordy, lordy, look who's forty?

GUS

Post by GUS » March 30th, 2019, 4:23 am

I'm convinced that cbs sports, that carried a lot of MWC games has longer commercial breaks than espn or the other carriers.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 30th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I think there is more to these numbers then people see at first blush. Plus the flat out numbers don't always tell the complete story, like how many late night games, bad weather, ad infinitum. If you look at the bases from which the teams draw, some of the "worst" ones are actually outperforming some of the "best" ones, and by quite a long ways.

Of the bottom 6 cited in the Mountain West (Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Reno, Laramie, Logan and San Jose), two have populations of over a million (Las Vegas: 2M; San Jose 1M), one (Albuquerque) is almost a million at 903,000, and Reno is almost a half million at 425,000. I would submit that the Logan-Cache Valley (131,364) and Cheyenne-Laramie (86,353) metro populations are actually putting a greater percentage of their populations in the stadium on game day, than are their much larger brethren: Wyoming is pulling in 21 percent of its MSA population, while Logan is getting just over 14% of its MSA population. Of the "bigger bottom feeders," Reno is drawing 4%, Albuquerque 1.8%, San Jose 1%, and Las Vegas is bringing up the rear at .8%

Of the top 6 (San Diego, Fresno, Honolulu, Colorado Springs, Boise, and Fort Collins), none has a metropolitan population of less than 310,487, with Fort Collins-Loveland the runt. So how do the top 6 do in drawing from their larger metro areas? The best is actually the runt, Colorado State, drawing 9.5% of the Fort Collins-Loveland MSA population 310,478. Boise State is next at 4.6% of the Boise-Nampa MSA of 709,845, followed by Colorado Springs (Air Force) at 4.1% of an MSA of 668,353. Bringing up the rear are Fresno-Madera (Fresno State) with 2.9% of a 1,081,315 MSA population; Honolulu (Hawai'i) with 2.6% of a 955,000 population; and San Diego (San Diego State) with just 1% of a total population of 3,100,000. This is hardly scientific, and yeah, I know, the math is rough but you get the general idea.

What I'm attempting to show is while the total numbers aren't so hot, the two smallest geographic schools in the conference are outdrawing their larger brethren by a significant margin, as to the actual percentage of local population attending. So go Wyoming and Utah State-- keep at it!

And a pox on New Mexico, San Jose, and UNLV (particularly) for sucking it up-- In UNLV's case pretty badly.

Locked Previous topicNext topic