Scrimmage Report!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Scrimmage Report!

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2019, 10:37 am

Anyone who is going to the scrimmage today and who would like to report on how it went? This would be greatly appreciated. I have to work today and am not able to go.

Machismo

Re: Scrimmage Report!

Post by Machismo » March 30th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Offense had their way with the D, I'm not the greatest practice evaluator, Aggies 22 is the expert. 3 D lineman on crutches obviously hurt the Defense.
Really liked seeing Dalton back punting again.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Machismo wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Offense had their way with the D, I'm not the greatest practice evaluator, Aggies 22 is the expert. 3 D lineman on crutches obviously hurt the Defense.

[Thanks for the information. Any idea who the 3 d-lineman are on crutches?]

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 30th, 2019, 1:02 pm

WHAT DID THE KID DO FOR THE UNSPORTSMANLIKE CALL??

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

2BallCane
Has thanked: 0

Post by 2BallCane » March 30th, 2019, 1:29 pm

How did the Walker Jr kid look?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 30th, 2019, 3:28 pm

2BallCane wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 1:29 pm
He looked good, like I said the O looked really good for a spring practice. Usually it's the D that's ahead.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm

taniataylor wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Not sure exactly, he caught the pass, really nice long TD catch inbetween defenders, he was excited then the flag came out. At that point I thought throwing it was lame.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 30th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Machismo wrote:

Unga, Damuni and Wildman.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 30th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Machismo wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Not sure exactly, he caught the pass, really nice long TD catch inbetween defenders, he was excited then the flag came out. At that point I thought throwing it was lame.
Found out - he spun the ball
🙄

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm

taniataylor wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 4:14 pm
Machismo wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
🙄
Lol! I guess they have to call it but cmon man it practice. He won't do it in games.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Machismo wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 3:32 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Machismo wrote:

Unga, Damuni and Wildman.

Although Jacoby Wildman is not currently practicing, he is not a member of the crutches crew. Yes, it's Chris Unga and Emosi Damuni but the third member is Caden Andersen.
Last edited by aggies22 on March 30th, 2019, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Instead of rambling, what questions do any of you have about today or spring ball in general?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Instead of rambling, what questions do any of you have about today or spring ball in general?
I enjoy it when your ramble.

However any players standing out?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:

[Are the injuries to the D-line you mentioned long term injuries or will they be good for fall camp?
How is the O-line progressing?
Who has stood out from the receiving/running backs group?
Who has stood out or been surprising on the defensive side of the ball?
Has there been a lot schematic changes on either side of the ball?]

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 5:55 pm

2BallCane wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Morian is looking comfortable. He's been rotating with the second team, so he's getting a shot to show the new staff what he can do. They rotated all the backs in today often, so there wasn't a ton of reps for any of them.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:

[Are the injuries to the D-line you mentioned long term injuries or will they be good for fall camp?
Question 1: It doesn't look like any of the D-line injuries are serious. I would say Caden Andersen looked like he might be the worse of the group. I originally had heard that Emosi Damuni might be an ACL but then I heard it was not. The biggest problem is the injuries really thin out the depth and it's hurting the 2nd and 3rd teams.

Question 2: The o-line is coming along. Coach Woods is very demanding and will get this group up to his expectations. They are young and working on coming together. Al Edwards was a full participant in practice today. There was a TON of rotating today along the second team three interior linemen. I think the starting five might be set and now they are concentrating on who is going to be the next best five.

Question 3: Devin Heckstall stood out during the first week but didn't see much action today, so that tells me he might be nursing an injury. Carson Terrell had a great day today and is beginning to develop into a big target for Jordan Love. Jordan Nathan and Taylor Compton had good days today. Deven Thompkins returned to practice and had a solid day today as well. The big surprise at RB would be true freshman Enoch Nawahine. He runs hard, runs with speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Question 4: I like how the two JuCo transfers Cash Gilliam and Troy Lefeged look good at the safety spots. True freshman Dominic Tatum currently holds a spot in the two-deep. Coming in for spring ball is turning out to be HUGE for all three of those guys. Kevin Meitzenheimer has done well so far in a first-team role.

Question 5: Offensively, it doesn't look like there have been any changes. So the only thing different might be verbage but I'm not in the huddle so I'm speculating on that one. It does look like they really are going to try and go at a faster pace than they did in 2018.

Defensively, they have morphed to a 4-2-5. What was an OLB is now a walk-up DE. Think Bojay Filimoeatu when he was here. There will be 2 MLBs and the second OLB has been replaced by a nickleback. Not like last year when the OLB was a safety walked up closer to the line of scrimmage, like Jontrell Rocquemore. The OLB this year has been replaced by a true cornerback. DJ Williams has been filling the first team role there thus far.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 6:22 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 5:03 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I think I answered your question in my longer post above. Let me know if you are wondering anything else!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 6:21 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Question 1: It doesn't look like any of the D-line injuries are serious. I would say Caden Andersen looked like he might be the worse of the group. I originally had heard that Emosi Damuni might be an ACL but then I heard it was not. The biggest problem is the injuries really thin out the depth and it's hurting the 2nd and 3rd teams.

Question 2: The o-line is coming along. Coach Woods is very demanding and will get this group up to his expectations. They are young and working on coming together. Al Edwards was a full participant in practice today. There was a TON of rotating today along the second team three interior linemen. I think the starting five might be set and now they are concentrating on who is going to be the next best five.

Question 3: Devin Heckstall stood out during the first week but didn't see much action today, so that tells me he might be nursing an injury. Carson Terrell had a great day today and is beginning to develop into a big target for Jordan Love. Jordan Nathan and Taylor Compton had good days today. Deven Thompkins returned to practice and had a solid day today as well. The big surprise at RB would be true freshman Enoch Nawahine. He runs hard, runs with speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Question 4: I like how the two JuCo transfers Cash Gilliam and Troy Lefeged look good at the safety spots. True freshman Dominic Tatum currently holds a spot in the two-deep. Coming in for spring ball is turning out to be HUGE for all three of those guys. Kevin Meitzenheimer has done well so far in a first-team role.

Question 5: Offensively, it doesn't look like there have been any changes. So the only thing different might be verbage but I'm not in the huddle so I'm speculating on that one. It does look like they really are going to try and go at a faster pace than they did in 2018.

Defensively, they have morphed to a 4-2-5. What was an OLB is now a walk-up DE. Think Bojay Filimoeatu when he was here. There will be 2 MLBs and the second OLB has been replaced by a nickleback. Not like last year when the OLB was a safety walked up closer to the line of scrimmage, like Jontrell Rocquemore. The OLB this year has been replaced by a true cornerback. DJ Williams has been filling the first team role there thus far.
Awesome report 22, thanks!

Who are the guys who look established as starters at OL? I'm guessing Aliifua and Edwards. Who else?

My guess would be both Shaw boys and Jacob South.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 6:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Awesome report 22, thanks!

Who are the guys who look established as starters at OL? I'm guessing Aliifua and Edwards. Who else?

My guess would be both Shaw boys and Jacob South.
Yes, both Shaw boys have been very impressive so far. Hopefully Ty can stay healthy. We all knew Jacob South was going to be the guy at right tackle.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 30th, 2019, 7:53 pm

It was nice to see Shaq Bond on the sideline. He was in fullpads and helmet. Not sure he got on the field but he looked ready to go and was not wearing a no contact yellow jersey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 30th, 2019, 8:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

(Thank you so much for the report I certainly do appreciate it. I don't get up there as much as I would like for the practices or scrimmages so it really helps me know what's going on.)

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 9:15 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 7:53 pm
It was nice to see Shaq Bond on the sideline. He was in fullpads and helmet. Not sure he got on the field but he looked ready to go and was not wearing a no contact yellow jersey
Shaq Bond did see a little live action today.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Thanks everyone for posting. Good stuff especially for those of us who cannot make it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Are they playing Tatum at cb?

Is uasike back on dline?

Will (22) you be putting together a depth chart?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 30th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Loved the interviews in the video. Williams and bright love coach A.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/3 ... rning.aspx
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 30th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Machismo wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 4:25 pm
taniataylor wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 4:14 pm
Machismo wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
🙄
Lol! I guess they have to call it but cmon man it practice. He won't do it in games.
You mean that games that he goes out there and dies for? Not the game? Not the game? Not the game? We talkin' 'bout practice?
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Machismo

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 30th, 2019, 11:43 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Is uasike back on dline?

Tatum is backing up Cam Haney at CB.

Mo Uasike is still at right guard.

Yes, I will have one more depth chart up before we get to the spring game.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 31st, 2019, 6:24 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 11:43 pm
slcagg wrote:

Is uasike back on dline?

Thanks 22.

Recruiting question. From the inter webs of tweeting it seems more kids are unofficially visiting than they have in the past up to this point in the year. Would you say that is correct?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 31st, 2019, 6:55 am

slcagg wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 6:24 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 11:43 pm
slcagg wrote:

Is uasike back on dline?

Thanks 22.

Recruiting question. From the inter webs of tweeting it seems more kids are unofficially visiting than they have in the past up to this point in the year. Would you say that is correct?
Absolutely correct! For those you who doubted his qualifications, the sudden up-tick in off-season interest in our program is due to the recruiting efforts of none other than Keegan Andersen. It's a beautiful thing to have people in charge that actually WANT to be here!

I've always believed that if a kid will pay his own way to come to Utah State and visit, he's clearly interested enough to come back and visit later on our dime
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » March 31st, 2019, 10:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

THANK YOU!!!!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 31st, 2019, 11:21 am

It was refreshing to hear multiple players singing GA's praises. It was pronounced like they felt he is a breath of fresh air. Wells was a good coach and I'm grateful he was here. That said, I think having had more of a disciplinarian followed by a players coach is very refreshing for the team and it will pay dividends.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » March 31st, 2019, 11:35 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 6:22 pm
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I think I answered your question in my longer post above. Let me know if you are wondering anything else!
We had 2 - #8 on offense. Bright was one who was the the other. It was a WR?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 31st, 2019, 11:51 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 11:35 am
aggies22 wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 6:22 pm
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

We had 2 - #8 on offense. Bright was one who was the the other. It was a WR?
Devin Heckstall. I don't really know why he's wearing #8, he just started wearing it a week or so ago.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 31st, 2019, 7:00 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Sam Lockett was offensive scout team mvp last year. Is that true? If so, how has he looked?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 1st, 2019, 1:57 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 7:00 pm
I thought I read somewhere that Sam Lockett was offensive scout team mvp last year. Is that true? If so, how has he looked?
That is true. Sam Lockett was named Scout Team MVP for the 2018 season. Sam is a big kid and a big target. He's had his moments so far in spring ball but I think the real test will be when fall camp begins and then we'll see where he fits in on the depth chart. Right now Sam and all the other walk-on WRs are getting reps because there isn't anyone else.

Locked Previous topicNext topic