The real extension conversation

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

The real extension conversation

Post by garyismyhomeboy » March 30th, 2019, 10:48 pm

We all are talking about extending Smith. Does anybody know what Hartwells contract looks like?

I know we and I have been very critical in the past but in my opinion he has us on track. He has hired coaches well and placed us to be competitive in all sports. We have momentum and I think the AD are taking advantage of it. They seem to be more transparent and had a lot of successes in multiple areas but it could just be me. I am the happiest i've been with the ticket office in years and marketing has improved and it looks like we finally have a fundraising team with kc that has their (I can't express myself without swearing) together. The Light the A Blue society appears to be helping us as well financially. It is a great time and I hope we have a longer contract on Hartwell. I haven't had much interactions with him but in all of them ive felt impressed. Also how do we compare in conference in athletic director pay?

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: The real extension conversation

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 30th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Agreed. I actually noticed that when the Blue A society was announced last summer, the names of President Cockett, John Hartwell, Matt Wells, and Craig Smith all showed up on the list of contributors to the Blue A society. I thought that was really cool to see.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2018/8 ... ogram.aspx

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 1st, 2019, 2:51 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 10:48 pm
We all are talking about extending Smith. Does anybody know what Hartwells contract looks like?

I know we and I have been very critical in the past but in my opinion he has us on track. He has hired coaches well and placed us to be competitive in all sports. We have momentum and I think the AD are taking advantage of it. They seem to be more transparent and had a lot of successes in multiple areas but it could just be me. I am the happiest i've been with the ticket office in years and marketing has improved and it looks like we finally have a fundraising team with kc that has their s*** together. The Light the A Blue society appears to be helping us as well financially. It is a great time and I hope we have a longer contract on Hartwell. I haven't had much interactions with him but in all of them ive felt impressed. Also how do we compare in conference in athletic director pay?
I think Hartwell has been doing an incredible job. I was critical of him for being kind of invisible in his first couple of years but it sounds like he had his hands full cleaning stuff up. He has been much more visible lately, has hired great coaches, and had the AD administration working much better as you noted. I really hope he loves the university and wants to be here for awhile. I don’t think we’ve ever had a year like the last one (at least not in the past 50 years). If we cane keep Hartwell, Smith and Andersen together for a few years, it could be really fun...

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » April 1st, 2019, 3:07 pm

Really like Hartwell. Feel bad that he got strongarmed into the Gary hire because he proved with Smith that he’s perfectly capable of going out and finding talented coaches. That said, I’m still happy GA is back.

Now I only wish Hartwell & Cockett could reign in the complete mismanagement of the University’s licensing. Probably not really a Hartwell responsibility, but a huge portion of the Aggie alumni live in Davis/Salt Lake/Utah counties & can’t get their hands on apparel. I’ve spoken to a Fanzz manager and a Scheel’s manager about this and both told me the same thing... They have no problem selling U-State gear, they just have a difficult time acquiring it due to overly stringent licensing policies and not being able to meet the minimum order requirement for every individual piece they want to carry in their stores.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 1st, 2019, 3:13 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 3:07 pm
Now I only wish Hartwell & Cockett could reign in the complete mismanagement of the University’s licensing. Probably not really a Hartwell responsibility, but a huge portion of the Aggie alumni live in Davis/Salt Lake/Utah counties & can’t get their hands on apparel. I’ve spoken to a Fanzz manager and a Scheel’s manager about this and both told me the same thing... They have no problem selling U-State gear, they just have a difficult time acquiring it due to overly stringent licensing policies and not being able to meet the minimum order requirement for every individual piece they want to carry in their stores.
I don't know a ton about this but back when Fanzz was around, they had quite a bit of Aggie merchandise on their website but not as much available in store. That tells me that it wasn't a problem of acquiring merchandise but more a problem of not wanting to provide USU with shelf space. Merchandise isn't acquired directly from USU and I'm not sure that there is much that they can do. If more people were asking for merchandise and people were purchasing what was available then these outlets would find a way to have it. If there isn't a demand then they won't go through the trouble.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 1st, 2019, 4:29 pm

I have heard about this issue from multiple other vendors over the years

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » April 1st, 2019, 4:58 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 3:13 pm

I don't know a ton about this but back when Fanzz was around, they had quite a bit of Aggie merchandise on their website but not as much available in store. That tells me that it wasn't a problem of acquiring merchandise but more a problem of not wanting to provide USU with shelf space. Merchandise isn't acquired directly from USU and I'm not sure that there is much that they can do. If more people were asking for merchandise and people were purchasing what was available then these outlets would find a way to have it. If there isn't a demand then they won't go through the trouble.

The Scheels manager I spoke with made it sound like their biggest hurdle was that the purchasing channels they go through for their in-store apparel require them to meet outrageous minimums. He said that if wanted to make a certain Ute shirt and Aggie shirt available he could easily order thirty or forty of the Ute design (or however many he truly wants) but was required to order at least 100 of the Aggie design and claimed it was due to licensing. Basically he said these minimum order requirements are the reason the selection of in-store items continues to shrink because the store can't afford to offer a wide variety.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 2nd, 2019, 6:57 am

I have some experience in this area. A lot of manufacturers will automatically pick up and make Utah and BYU licensed gear and have inventory available before any retailer has even placed an order because they know they can sell it. That is why retailers don’t need to order huge minimum quantities per item for those two schools because the vendor has already made the inventory. They can make any school (the university does need to approve any art work—but that is never a problem), but they do have very high minimums per piece for any school with no initial inventory. It is not a licensing issue. This problem happens with any vendor that makes custom items (licensed or not). Everything has a high minimum when it is being made for the first time.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 2nd, 2019, 7:46 am

We just need to remember that it is a business. If they aren't making money then they aren't going to provide the merchandise.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 3rd, 2019, 10:05 am

In this day & age, there is plenty of Aggie gear available. No, it may not be available in certain stores- but if you want Aggie gear it's readily available without even needing to leave your home. I would like to have more Aggie gear available- especially as it relates to the office, home & accessories areas- but it's not like we don't have options.

20 years ago- absolutely it would stink to not have Aggie gear in stores. Today- meh.

garyismyhomeboy
Has thanked: 0

Post by garyismyhomeboy » April 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

Anyways to my original question does anybody know the status of Hartwell's contract? I think we need to extend him for what he has done.
These users thanked the author garyismyhomeboy for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 3rd, 2019, 2:41 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm
Anyways to my original question does anybody know the status of Hartwell's contract? I think we need to extend him for what he has done.
He is a strong leader he will be sought after by several schools. He will be interviewed for another job in the near future.

Locked Previous topicNext topic