Jake Toolson

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies1
Posts: 889
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 2:29 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Jake Toolson

Post by aggies1 » April 11th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Jake Toolson from UVU (wac player of the year and HM all American) enters the transfer portal.

Tweet: According to a source, #UVU guard Jake Toolson is officially in the NCAA Transfer Portal. The reigning WAC Player of the Year will be highly sought-after. #USU, #BYUhoops will be among programs that will pursue him as a graduate transfer.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 203 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ineptimusprime » April 11th, 2019, 8:27 pm

aggies1 wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Jake Toolson from UVU (wac player of the year and HM all American) enters the transfer portal.

Tweet: According to a source, #UVU guard Jake Toolson is officially in the NCAA Transfer Portal. The reigning WAC Player of the Year will be highly sought-after. #USU, #BYUhoops will be among programs that will pursue him as a graduate transfer.
Intriguing option. I can’t say I like our chances of beating out BYU and his former coach, but maybe he’s looking for a new environment?



SLB
Posts: 809
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by SLB » April 11th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Most likely BYU since he went to BYU then transfer to UVU and UVU's coach is now BYU's coach, but Toolson had to be amazed to what happen at Utah State and being part of a winning team is hard to refuse.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7028
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1562 times
Been liked: 768 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by aggies22 » April 11th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I can't imagine this kid going anywhere else other than bywho-provo. Unless he thinks he's Matt Mooney.



Chupamedia
Posts: 1190
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 10:42 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Chupamedia » April 11th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Yeah this move was specifically to go to BYU-P.



slcagg
Posts: 3113
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by slcagg » April 11th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Who knows maybe he wants to win. Could he and sam play the 1 and 2?



ThunderAggie
Posts: 299
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ThunderAggie » April 11th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Aren't Crew and Jake cousins. Maybe they are doing a swap. Crew to UVU and Jake to USU. Would benefit both universities! :lol:



User avatar
scotlandog
Posts: 868
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 34 times

Jake Toolson

Post by scotlandog » April 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm

He already played at BYU. I remember hearing how it wasn’t necessarily his choice to leave the program and that next year at UVU vs BYU was a revenge game. He played great that game. I’ll have to go back and verify this. I just don’t see him going back to BYU again. Has anyone ever heard of a player transferring from a school and then transferring back?

Also, aren’t Sam and Jake friends? I know they give shout outs to each other on twitter and congratulate each other.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



NVAggie
Posts: 15337
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 321 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by NVAggie » April 11th, 2019, 9:38 pm

If he follows his coach, I think it makes sense.



ThunderAggie
Posts: 299
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by ThunderAggie » April 11th, 2019, 9:44 pm

scotlandog wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm
He already played at BYU. I remember hearing how it wasn’t necessarily his choice to leave the program and that next year at UVU vs BYU was a revenge game. He played great that game. I’ll have to go back and verify this. I just don’t see him going back to BYU again. Has anyone ever heard of a player transferring from a school and then transferring back?

Also, aren’t Sam and Jake friends? I know they give shout outs to each other on twitter and congratulate each other.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, they are good friends. The articles that came out in the last hour also mentions that. I really think we have a really good chance at landing him. He has one year left and is good buddies with Sam and a few other guys (probably Abel or Brock), so he has got some connections. He has definelty heard a lot of the hype, so I think we will be one of his top choices.



SLB
Posts: 809
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by SLB » April 11th, 2019, 10:23 pm

I found this. Desert Sports and KSL
Utah State tried to get Toolson when he was in high school.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 1857
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 11th, 2019, 10:39 pm

scotlandog wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm
He already played at BYU. I remember hearing how it wasn’t necessarily his choice to leave the program and that next year at UVU vs BYU was a revenge game. He played great that game. I’ll have to go back and verify this. I just don’t see him going back to BYU again. Has anyone ever heard of a player transferring from a school and then transferring back?

Also, aren’t Sam and Jake friends? I know they give shout outs to each other on twitter and congratulate each other.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Things are different now. He would literally playing for the coach he played for last season where he had a positive experience and not the coach when he was previously at byu and had a bad experience. It would be great to get him, but I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere other than a few miles east.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4713
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 213 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 11th, 2019, 10:46 pm

My sources tell me Jake Toolson won’t be transferring to BYU or USU.
These users liked this post from Roy McAvoy:
TrueAggieman



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5063
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Imakeitrain » April 12th, 2019, 12:22 am

I agree that given his circumstances he'd likely choose BYU.

However, right now USU would be a much better basketball decision. We would have a much better team with Toolson than BYU with Toolson.

But basketball doesn't need to be the only factor.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

slcagg
Posts: 3113
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by slcagg » April 12th, 2019, 4:27 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 10:46 pm
My sources tell me Jake Toolson won’t be transferring to BYU or USU.
He is an Arizona kid, so maybe Arizona or asu?



gomretat
Posts: 520
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by gomretat » April 12th, 2019, 7:13 am

Jake has always wanted to play in Arizona. I am not sure if that is still true but I know he has talked about that the last few years. I am guessing some of this will also be impacted by who the head coach is at UVU. And any chance he would have of coming to USU would definitely be impacted by what his cousin Crew has to say.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14473
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 8:18 am

scotlandog wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm
Also, aren’t Sam and Jake friends? I know they give shout outs to each other on twitter and congratulate each other.
Yes they are, and I'm sure Sam is putting on the full court press to get him to come to USU.
These users liked this post from treesap32:
ChicAggie



oleblu111
Posts: 1136
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by oleblu111 » April 12th, 2019, 9:09 am

Is he not a 6' 5" guard, do we really need another one of those ?



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4713
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 213 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 12th, 2019, 9:14 am

Actually, I heard USU is a possibility. The teams I've heard so far are: Arizona State, Utah, USU, & Oregon State.
These users liked this post from Roy McAvoy. Total Likes: 2
ChicAggiesneed



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 913
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am

Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14473
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 9:41 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.
He's married.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 913
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » April 12th, 2019, 9:42 am

treesap32 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.
He's married.
Where is she from?



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14473
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 9:43 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:42 am
treesap32 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.
He's married.
Where is she from?
That level of detail will require super stalker mode.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14473
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 189 times
Contact:

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 9:44 am

treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:43 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:42 am
treesap32 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.
He's married.
Where is she from?
That level of detail will require super stalker mode.
Just kidding. She's from Gilbert, Arizona.



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 129
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 12th, 2019, 9:46 am

treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:44 am
treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:43 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:42 am
treesap32 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am
Anyone know if Toolson is married, engaged, or in a serious relationship? Those things can have an influence.
He's married.
Where is she from?
That level of detail will require super stalker mode.
Just kidding. She's from Gilbert, Arizona.
Nice quick work on the super stalking!



slcagg
Posts: 3113
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by slcagg » April 12th, 2019, 9:52 am

I would not be surprised if it is one of the Arizona schools. However I think we are in a great position especially if he and Sam are friends. Oregon st is a head scratcher to me.



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 129
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 12th, 2019, 9:59 am

slcagg wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:52 am
I would not be surprised if it is one of the Arizona schools. However I think we are in a great position especially if he and Sam are friends. Oregon st is a head scratcher to me.
I agree. Utah is a head scratcher, I mean A$$ scratcher to me. Don't know why he would want to play at Utah over one of the Arizona schools or USU.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5063
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Imakeitrain » April 12th, 2019, 10:47 am

oleblu111 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:09 am
Is he not a 6' 5" guard, do we really need another one of those ?
Is he not a very good player?


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 4981
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Aglicious » April 12th, 2019, 10:51 am

Meh, I hope we don't use our 1 scholly left on Toolson. We already have a better version of him in Sam. What we need is a true PG that is quick, can create for others, and can attack the rim but demands defensive attention from the outside.

I also wouldn't mind adding an athletic 4. Either of these are greater needs than what Toolson brings to the table.



Tetonkatest
Posts: 553
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Tetonkatest » April 12th, 2019, 10:56 am

Would Toolson even get much playing time at USU? I think we have better players than him.

Honestly, he is probably foolish to transfer from a good thing at UVU, where he got a lot of playing time and was WAC player of the year. Maybe he doesn't like UVU's new coach. Who are they hiring?



oleblu111
Posts: 1136
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by oleblu111 » April 12th, 2019, 11:09 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 10:47 am
oleblu111 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 9:09 am
Is he not a 6' 5" guard, do we really need another one of those ?
Is he not a very good player?
yes he is, however we have one true point guard on this team, perhaps you fill the greatest need.



Bank Shot
Posts: 151
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Bank Shot » April 12th, 2019, 11:16 am

What if Toolson wanted to come here and the coaching staff felt he would be an asset AND we also found the PG of everyone's dreams. It wouldn't be out of the question is someone else was counseled out would it? I don't quite understand why it has to be one or the other.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5063
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by Imakeitrain » April 12th, 2019, 11:17 am

If we could land the right PG, I'd be all for it. But bringing a lessor player with an okay ceiling just because he "fills a need/role" isn't what I'm hoping occurs.


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

oleblu111
Posts: 1136
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by oleblu111 » April 12th, 2019, 11:26 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:17 am
If we could land the right PG, I'd be all for it. But bringing a lessor player with an okay ceiling just because he "fills a need/role" isn't what I'm hoping occurs.
I guess we just need to trust Smith on what he feels, and who he can get.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 14961
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 305 times

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 12th, 2019, 11:31 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 10:51 am
Meh, I hope we don't use our 1 scholly left on Toolson. We already have a better version of him in Sam. What we need is a true PG that is quick, can create for others, and can attack the rim but demands defensive attention from the outside.

I also wouldn't mind adding an athletic 4. Either of these are greater needs than what Toolson brings to the table.
He would be an upgrade from Brock Miller for a year, and then hopefully Brock will be ready to return to the starting roll his Junior year. I think a bigger waste of a scholarship is keeping Stall around for one more year than adding Toolson. We do need a PG, but between Toolson and Stall or Fakira, I would gladly add Toolson to the team.
These users liked this post from hipsterdoofus21. Total Likes: 2
Pacobagdonlarson8



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic