Jake Toolson

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Re: Jake Toolson

Post by dyedblue » April 12th, 2019, 11:49 am

Toolson would be a great addition, and would be a huge upgrade over Miller. We would still need a PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 11:50 am

I haven't watched Jake play except when they played us, I guess, and he didn't have a great game against us... But his stat line is very impressive.

First of all, he's the WAC player of the year. He won that award over NMSU's team of Frank's all-stars who all run 4.3 40's.

Let's take a look at his stats:
PPG: 15.8
FG%: .541
FG%: 455
FT%: .851
RPG: 4.5
APG: 2.2

Advanced Stats:
PER: 20.0
True Shooting %: .677
Effective FG%: .641
Offensive Win Shares: 2.6
Defensive Win Shares: 1.3
Total Win Shares: 4.0
Win Shares / 40 = .161
Box +/- = 4.2

So let's see how those stats compare to some of our players...

Jake would've been the best three point shooter on our team that took a meaningful amount of attempts (JK3, Fakira, and Johnson all went 1-2 on the season shooting .500). For comparison's sake, Sam shot .376 this season, a full 8 percentage points behind Jake. Jake's single season .455 mark would have ranked 10th all time at Utah State.

His overall FG% would have ranked #2 on the team behind only Neemias Queta, who shot an obscene 61.4% this year, landing him in the record books.

He would've been the second best free throw shooter on the team behind Sam.

He would've been the third best rebounder on the team (behind Queta, Taylor) from a guard position.

He would've had the 3rd most assists per game (behind Merrill, Porter).

He would have led our team in True Shooting % & Effective FG%, and would've been second behind Sam in Offensive Win Shares. He would've ranked third in total win shares behind Sam & Queta. He would've ranked 5th in Box +/- behind Queta, Merrill, Taylor, and Bean. His PER would've ranked 4th on the team behind Merrill, Queta, & Bean.

I would be ecstatic to bring Jake Toolson on as a graduate transfer. I hope Sam & Coach Smith can talk him into it.

Do we need a point guard? Yes. Does that mean we shouldn't sign the reigning WAC player of the year who is an ELITE shooter? Definitely not.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 4):
ChicAggieRoy McAvoysneeddonlarson8

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 12th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Aglicious wrote:Meh, I hope we don't use our 1 scholly left on Toolson. We already have a better version of him in Sam. What we need is a true PG that is quick, can create for others, and can attack the rim but demands defensive attention from the outside.

I also wouldn't mind adding an athletic 4. Either of these are greater needs than what Toolson brings to the table.
He’s an honorable mention all American. I think you take all those you can get and ask questions later.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
TrueBluedonlarson8

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 12:08 pm

treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:50 am
I haven't watched Jake play except when they played us, I guess, and he didn't have a great game against us... But his stat line is very impressive.

First of all, he's the WAC player of the year. He won that award over NMSU's team of Frank's all-stars who all run 4.3 40's.

Advanced Stats:
Win Shares / 40 = .161
Box +/- = 4.2

Jake would've been the best three point shooter on our team that took a meaningful amount of attempts (JK3, Fakira, and Johnson all went 1-2 on the season shooting .500). For comparison's sake, Sam shot .376 this season, a full 8 percentage points behind Jake. Jake's single season .455 mark would have ranked 10th all time at Utah State.

His overall FG% would have ranked #2 on the team behind only Neemias Queta, who shot an obscene 61.4% this year, landing him in the record books.

He would've been the third best rebounder on the team (behind Queta, Taylor) from a guard position.

He would have led our team in True Shooting % & Effective FG%, and would've been second behind Sam in Offensive Win Shares. He would've ranked third in total win shares behind Sam & Queta. He would've ranked 5th in Box +/- behind Queta, Merrill, Taylor, and Bean. His PER would've ranked 4th on the team behind Merrill, Queta, & Bean.

I would be ecstatic to bring Jake Toolson on as a graduate transfer. I hope Sam & Coach Smith can talk him into it.

Do we need a point guard? Yes. Does that mean we shouldn't sign the reigning WAC player of the year who is an ELITE shooter? Definitely not.
It is also not 100% known that we have another spot with the injury cloud with Stall. I do wonder if Bairstow is going to play some guard too. Toolson would be welcome addition.
Last edited by SLB on April 12th, 2019, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:31 am
Aglicious wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 10:51 am
Meh, I hope we don't use our 1 scholly left on Toolson. We already have a better version of him in Sam. What we need is a true PG that is quick, can create for others, and can attack the rim but demands defensive attention from the outside.

I also wouldn't mind adding an athletic 4. Either of these are greater needs than what Toolson brings to the table.
He would be an upgrade from Brock Miller for a year, and then hopefully Brock will be ready to return to the starting roll his Junior year. I think a bigger waste of a scholarship is keeping Stall around for one more year than adding Toolson. We do need a PG, but between Toolson and Stall or Fakira, I would gladly add Toolson to the team.
Oh I completely agree if we had a second slot open and Stall or preferably Fakira moved along then I would say go get Toolson. We would then still have an opening for a PG in that scenario.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Aglicious wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:09 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 11:31 am
Aglicious wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 10:51 am
Meh, I hope we don't use our 1 scholly left on Toolson. We already have a better version of him in Sam. What we need is a true PG that is quick, can create for others, and can attack the rim but demands defensive attention from the outside.

He would be an upgrade from Brock Miller for a year, and then hopefully Brock will be ready to return to the starting roll his Junior year. I think a bigger waste of a scholarship is keeping Stall around for one more year than adding Toolson. We do need a PG, but between Toolson and Stall or Fakira, I would gladly add Toolson to the team.
Oh I completely agree if we had a second slot open and Stall or preferably Fakira moved along then I would say go get Toolson. We would then still have an opening for a PG in that scenario.
Still friends!
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on April 12th, 2019, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I agree with 2004AG on this one. Honorable mention All American, WAC POY, Elite shooter, interest from several P5 Schools.

Sign now, figure out logistics later.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 12th, 2019, 12:16 pm

treesap32 wrote:

Advanced Stats:
Win Shares / 40 = .161
Box +/- = 4.2

Way to break it down Sap. He clearly would be an upgrade.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm
I agree with 2004AG on this one. Honorable mention All American, WAC POY, Elite shooter, interest from several P5 Schools.

Sign now, figure out logistics later.
Every reasonable person agrees with this including myself, but the TO number is a concern with Toolson in that it might be something that holds him back.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm

treesap32 wrote:

Advanced Stats:
Win Shares / 40 = .161
Box +/- = 4.2

Totally agree, 'Sap. He would be a great addition. A couple of thoughts: Toolson's conference numbers were a nice notch above his overall line: probably a lot of this had to do with playing against weaker competition, but still: 17.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, .549 FG%, .487 3P%, .873 FT%, 23.0 PER. Also, his defense slipped a little this past season (105.3 DRtg vs. 98.9 DRtg last season), but his NetRtg was very strong: 122.5 ORtg minus 105.3 DRtg = 17.2 NetRtg. Only Merrill had a better ORtg and only Merrill, Bean, Taylor, and Queta had better NetRtgs.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » April 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

He's a very good player, his stats are impressive, and he had a number of awards, but the positional needs of the team are more important. If the staff decides he fits what we need, they know all about him. If they decide that a PG is needed more, they'll go that way.
Last edited by I.M.Noone on April 12th, 2019, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author I.M.Noone for the post:
oleblu111

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm

SLB wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm
the TO number is a concern with Toolson in that it might be something that holds him back.
Yeah, his 4.0 turnovers per 100 possessions might really "hold him back" except that a whopping nine Aggie players averaged either virtually identical or in some cases significantly worse turnover numbers per 100 possessions than Toolson: Johnson (6.3), TKnight (6.0), DBrown (5.1), Queta (4.9), Fakira (4.9), JKnight (4.8), Ainge (4.4), Brito (3.9), and Porter (3.8).

I would also note that Toolson's turnovers per 100 possession were significantly higher this past season than in any other season he had previously played (3.4, 2.7, 1.7), likely resulting from being asked to play a different role this past season combined with fairly significant personnel changes around him.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm
He's a very good player, his stats are impressive, and he had a number of awards, but the positional needs of the team are more important. If the staff decides he fits what we need, they know all about him. If they decide that a PG is needed more, they'll go that way.
Get both. Call me insensitive, but it's yet to be seen if Stall or Fakira will ever contribute. I've got to believe there's a way we could remove Stall's athletic scholarship if it is determined that he will never be healthy enough to play competitive basketball again. And I think that determination is quite likely considering the last 5 years of his career. He has played a total of 10 games (86 total minutes) over the last 4 seasons combined.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Some of you have lost your minds. As others have said, you bring in the All American (we've only had a handful in school history) and figure the rest out later. A lineup of Porter, Toolson, Merrill, Miller/Brito, and Queta would be lethal. He would take scoring and defensive pressure off Sam, and you figure the PG position out along the way.

That said, unless Sam can work his magic I doubt he comes here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author aggietime for the post:
TrueBlue

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 12th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:He's a very good player, his stats are impressive, and he had a number of awards, but the positional needs of the team are more important. If the staff decides he fits what we need, they know all about him. If they decide that a PG is needed more, they'll go that way.
We got very little of substance in Rebounding or scoring from the three spot. As I have thought about it, this might be a bigger need than a PG and if this player can be a threat to take the heat off of Sam then that is even better.

We need a consistent threat and whether that comes from the PG or SF I don't think it matters. Sam can spell Porter as needed.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:
the TO number is a concern with Toolson in that it might be something that holds him back.
Yeah, his 4.0 turnovers per 100 possessions might really "hold him back" except that a whopping nine Aggie players averaged either virtually identical or in some cases significantly worse turnover numbers per 100 possessions than Toolson: Johnson (6.3), TKnight (6.0), DBrown (5.1), Queta (4.9), Fakira (4.9), JKnight (4.8), Ainge (4.4), Brito (3.9), and Porter (3.8).

I would also note that Toolson's turnovers per 100 possession were significantly higher this past season than in any other season he had previously played (3.4, 2.7, 1.7), likely resulting from being asked to play a different role this past season combined with fairly significant personnel changes around him.
Toolson played in the WAC and faced weaker teams. There are games where Toolson had 5-6 TOs, and I would love to have Toolson. If you noticed the Aggies that you listed only 1 starter had a worse TO number, and he was a true freshmen. Brito sometimes is not played as much because of TOs.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 12th, 2019, 1:40 pm

treesap32 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:54 pm
I.M.Noone wrote:
Get both. Call me insensitive, but it's yet to be seen if Stall or Fakira will ever contribute. I've got to believe there's a way we could remove Stall's athletic scholarship if it is determined that he will never be healthy enough to play competitive basketball again. And I think that determination is quite likely considering the last 5 years of his career. He has played a total of 10 games (86 total minutes) over the last 4 seasons combined.
IF, IF Stall were medically disqualified, he can remain on scholarship long enough to finish his schooling but the scholarship will not count against the yearly allotment of 13 scholarships. Norbert Janicek finished school this way.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 1:41 pm

SLB wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Toolson played in the WAC and faced weaker teams. There are games where Toolson had 4-6 TOs, and I would love to have Toolson. If you noticed the Aggies that you listed only 1 starter had a worse TO number, and he was a true freshmen. Brito sometimes is not played as much because of TOs.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 12th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Is it just me or does it sometimes repost after editing.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 12th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Get him, assemble the best talent you can get, then sort it out later,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

SLB wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Toolson played in the WAC and faced weaker teams. There are games where Toolson had 5-6 TOs, and I would love to have Toolson. If you noticed the Aggies that you listed only 1 starter had a worse TO number, and he was a true freshmen. Brito sometimes is not played as much because of TOs.
Same can be said for Sam Merrill.

Turnovers are not Jake's strong suit, but are also not a big weakness either. As ChicAggie posted, there were 9 players on our team last year who turned the ball over more often than Toolson did, and many of them weren't handling the ball nearly as often. If he were on the Aggies last year he would have ranked 8 of 16 players in turnover frequency (per 100 possessions). If Jake's only weakness is being average in turning the ball over, that's pretty darn good.

Again, All American, WAC POY, tremendous offensive talent, rebounding guard, one of Sam's best friends (if not his best friend).

Sign him if he wants to come.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 12th, 2019, 2:18 pm

He played the 3 and the 4 at UVU. More than a position player he is a scorer. Biggest problem at UVU was his interior defense. Plays well as a post up player because he is very strong inside. He does want the ball in his hands a lot in order to be effective. Married with one child.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 12th, 2019, 2:25 pm

You absolutely go after Toolson if you have a chance. If you have to counsel someone else out to get another PG, you absolutely do it. He would be the second or third best player (depending on Queta's continued improvement) on a very good team. He was the WAC POY and honorable mention All-American. No brainer. You take those guys anytime you can get them.

We would be absolutely stacked. I would expect nothing less than a sweet 16 with that group.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 12:16 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Advanced Stats:
Win Shares / 40 = .161
Box +/- = 4.2

Way to break it down Sap. He clearly would be an upgrade.
This is incomplete. It does not show often he flops, which is the top factor in deciding whether or not we want him.
Last edited by Madmartigan on April 12th, 2019, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 2:25 pm
You absolutely go after Toolson if you have a chance. If you have to counsel someone else out to get another PG, you absolutely do it. He would be the second or third best player (depending on Queta's continued improvement) on a very good team. He was the WAC POY and honorable mention All-American. No brainer. You take those guys anytime you can get them.

We would be absolutely stacked. I would expect nothing less than a sweet 16 with that group.

This is a serious question. How many teams in the country would return two players who received AP All-American recognition? There were 53 players who were AP All-Americans. I’m guessing only about 20 to 25 of them will return next year. There can’t be more than four teams who will have more than one of them in their roster next year.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 12th, 2019, 3:18 pm

We already have two very likely first team all conference guys next year, no doubt you’d add a possible third if you could.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 12th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
Crew Ainge plays PG, maybe we could just convince him to stay and fill our positional need. Who wants two conference players of the year on the same team anyway, too much drama. :sarcasm:

I agree that positional needs are important, but who are the PGs realistically willing to sign with USU?

As others have stated, IF Toolson is interested, you sign him and then counsel someone else out to fill a remaining positional need. Who is least likely to contribute between Grootfaam, Stall, and Fakira? Maybe a little harsh but this is successful D1 team basketball reality.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 13th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Talked to a UVU player last night. Toolson could obviously end up anywhere but he has his sights set on a P5 program.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Kansas could really use a Jake Toolson and has plenty of openings.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 13th, 2019, 4:52 pm

SLB wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
SLB wrote:

Toolson played in the WAC and faced weaker teams. There are games where Toolson had 4-6 TOs, and I would love to have Toolson. If you noticed the Aggies that you listed only 1 starter had a worse TO number, and he was a true freshmen. Brito sometimes is not played as much because of TOs.
Not exactly sure why you posted the exact same thing twice, but let me clarify things:

1. Toolson averaged a whopping 0.9 turnovers more than Sam Merrill did per 100 possessions. Let me break that down for you: Over the course of 100 possessions, there were 96 possessions where Toolson did not have a turnover; over the course of 100 possessions, there were 96.9 possessions where Merrill did not have a turnover. Huge difference? No.

2. There were games where Toolson had 4-6 TOs? Guess what, so did Merrill and Queta. Toolson had 7 such games; Merrill had 5 such games; Queta had 5 such games.

3. As for Toolson playing against the WAC versus the MWC, it seems as though you must have looked at game logs to know that Toolson had some games with 4-6 TOs. Then you should also know that Toolson had some of his lowest TO games against NON-WAC teams. 1 TO in 32 minutes vs. Arizona; 1 TO in 37 minutes vs. BYU; 2 in 38 minutes vs. Fresno St. (a team that forced Merrill into 3 TOs two different times). He also had only 1 TO in two games totaling 66 minutes against WAC Champion and NCAA tourney participant 30-5 NMSU which happened to have the 18th best DRtg in the country. And, as noted in my prior post, his TO numbers per 100 possessions were SIGNIFICANTLY lower when he was at BYU (lower than ANY player on the current Aggie roster other than Brock Miller) -- in a different role with different personnel.

4. It is impossible to compare apples-to-apples to know how Toolson would do in Smith's system with Smith's coaching in a different role, so implying that his TO numbers would be even worse in the MWC is speculative, at best.

5. Any suggestion that Toolson may be flawed because of his "high" turnover numbers is ridiculous for all the reasons stated above.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » April 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm

We are on his current list of teams:
These users thanked the author FormerlyVegasAggie71 for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 15th, 2019, 6:50 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm
We are on his current list of teams:
Hmmm A lot of teams probably look at him like this years Matt Mooney. Cmon Sam do your magic.

aggietime

Post by aggietime » April 15th, 2019, 10:09 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:We are on his current list of teams:
No way do we want this kid. His best options are Duke and reigning national champion Virginia? We can definitely do better. We need a PG!

/sarcasm

I will be doing backflips in the very unlikely event we land him. Tough to pass up a grad degree from Stanford or Duke (not to mention the obvious basketball benefits of a couple of these).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm

This must be a first to see a list including Duke, Virginia, Stanford followed by "or possibly returning to UVU". He may he looking at them but are they looking at him?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 16th, 2019, 10:51 am

Pretty much any team in the country would welcome a conference POY as a grad transfer. That is why saying we don't want him is so laughable. He may not play as much of a role on some of those teams as he would here or at UVU, but they would almost certainly take him if they can.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic