Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

Re: Queta

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 16th, 2019, 10:58 am

Again, he definitely has the physical tools and measurables. He's just not ready and almost certainly won't be drafted (maybe late 2nd?). The question is whether his development would benefit from a stint in the G-league or in Europe to the point where he could eventually play in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » April 16th, 2019, 11:27 am

Bad news for the program, potentially good for Queta. I hope he is smart enough to drop out and return for a year if the indications he receives are not solid.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

GUS

Post by GUS » April 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Queta should do a little research on Brandon McCoy out of UNLV. He was the freshman of the year in comference left and didn't get drafted. He's now kicking around the D league. That could be Queta's path if he doesnt come back for a second year at USU..
Last edited by GUS on April 18th, 2019, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 17th, 2019, 8:41 am

GUS wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Queta should do a little research on Brandon MvCoy out of UNLV. He was the freshman of the year in comference left and didn't get drafted. He's now kicking around the D league. That could be Queta's path if he doesnt come back for a second year at USU..
This is very well done, my Aggie friend. Fantastic point! :golfclap:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 17th, 2019, 9:04 am

I just hope the right people are looking out for him and that he’ll be accepting of their advice if they tell him to wait another year. I get sick about these agents who get a bunch of guys to roll the dice and enter the draft because it’s no skin off their nose if that gamble doesn’t pay off for a handful of them.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 17th, 2019, 9:59 am

Coach Smith quote from the HJ news article

“With Neemias, he is testing the waters. That’s the perfect name for it. I think the NBA had done some really good things with some new rules. An agent can guide them, and the NBA gives them feedback. ... We wish Neemias nothing but the best. If he can be a first-round pick and get some guaranteed things, it’s hard to pass up. We support Neemie and will support him through the process. He is an intelligent guy and has a good feel for the big picture.”

For what it is worth I think we still have a pretty good chance he is back. I’m sure Coach Smith is giving him good advice.
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Madmartigan

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 17th, 2019, 10:10 am

If he’s projected to go first round, it would be hard to fault him for leaving. Otherwise, he should come back.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganJSHarvey

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 17th, 2019, 10:42 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 10:10 am
If he’s projected to go first round, it would be hard to fault him for leaving. Otherwise, he should come back.
If he stays another year, he could be a lottery pick. I think odds of him going in the first round and getting guaranteed money is 30% or lower.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 17th, 2019, 10:58 am

I have one question in another direction about Queta: Did he ever intend to play more than one year in college? I ask that because the international rule for eligibility is different than one who attends a college in the US. Below is the rule for international players, and the main question is the 22 years of age. If he stays abroad he has to reach 22 or the other contract stuff, but here with one year of college he only needs to be 19. Any thoughts on that? I don't want him to go, he's been fun to watch, just curious.

If the player is an “international player” (defined below), and notwithstanding anything contained in subsections (A) through (F) above:
The player is or will be twenty-two (22) years of age during the calendar year of the Draft; or
The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located in the United States, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or
The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player).
For purposes of this Article X, an “international player” is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States.

Cankle
Has thanked: 0

Post by Cankle » April 17th, 2019, 11:18 am

He is definitely not ready for the draft. He won't be selected in the draft. He will kick around the G League for a while then probably go back over to Europe to play. I wonder if anyone has really had this conversation with him. He is not on any legitimate draft boards. It is probably just hard to pass up getting paid (even if it is just a little bit in the G League), and not having to go to classes anymore. With so many restrictions on scholarshiped players, it is hard to not want to get out from under the NCAA's thumb. He needs to stay one more year, just think what coach Smith could do with him for just one more year!! If he stays, we are a top 20 team. Please stay. Please stay.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 17th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Hopefully he does not have some agent in his ear. McCoy is an excellent example of what could happen to Quetta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » April 18th, 2019, 1:55 pm

If you look at the direction the NBA is going now, there is not a big market for a Big Man who can't take it out and shoot the 3. All the NBA teams are looking for "Stretch" big men who can take it out and shoot. Now, if he get's that picture and NBA scouts are honest with him, he will stay in college and work on developing a 3 point shot or mid-range jumper to add to his arsenal. If anyone thinks he is going in the first round of the NBA because of his height or his defense should look at how the Jazz are faring against the rockets right now.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » April 18th, 2019, 2:50 pm

RigAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 1:55 pm
If you look at the direction the NBA is going now, there is not a big market for a Big Man who can't take it out and shoot the 3. All the NBA teams are looking for "Stretch" big men who can take it out and shoot. Now, if he get's that picture and NBA scouts are honest with him, he will stay in college and work on developing a 3 point shot or mid-range jumper to add to his arsenal. If anyone thinks he is going in the first round of the NBA because of his height or his defense should look at how the Jazz are faring against the rockets right now.

Chris Capela? ;)

Seriously though, I hope that Queta comes back for one more year. I think it would be best for him and for USU.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Clint Capela?

Jazz’s problem isn’t Gobert. Their problem is their main rotation consisting of the combination of Gobert, Favors, and Rubio, all of which are not 3 pt threats.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » April 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Pretty much everyone declared for the draft which makes it even tougher for Queta.

Picking a bad example(McCoy) and saying that it could happen to him is bs. He could be the next Capela.

I was initially worried about him leaving.However, seeing the guys at his position in the NBA, it's obvious Queta still needs a lot of work. I'm now very optimistic that he will be back.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 18th, 2019, 6:09 pm

If I were Queta's agent, and my fee was based on a percentage of what he can earn, I'm telling him that if he's not guaranteed a first round pick, then we're waiting for next year when it's possible to be a lottery pick and make some real money.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:04 am
I just hope the right people are looking out for him and that he’ll be accepting of their advice if they tell him to wait another year. I get sick about these agents who get a bunch of guys to roll the dice and enter the draft because it’s no skin off their nose if that gamble doesn’t pay off for a handful of them.
This isn't the case with Queta because I don't think they can pay when they're "testing the waters" in basketball with the new rules, but agents put up a lot of cash investing in the athlete's training (can be north of 30k). Not to mention that a lot of the times, they'll give them a high end marketing guarantee as well. The majority of the time, an agent is investing a lot in the athlete, they just may not be a very good agent and have wrong advice instead of bad advice.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Wrong advice IS bad advice IMO.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Pacobag

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 19th, 2019, 6:29 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This isn't the case with Queta because I don't think they can pay when they're "testing the waters" in basketball with the new rules, but agents put up a lot of cash investing in the athlete's training (can be north of 30k). Not to mention that a lot of the times, they'll give them a high end marketing guarantee as well. The majority of the time, an agent is investing a lot in the athlete, they just may not be a very good agent and have wrong advice instead of bad advice.
For early entry applicants, agents cannot pay for training if the player wishes to preserve his college eligibility. Only travel, lodging and meal costs can be covered.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 19th, 2019, 7:55 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Wrong advice IS bad advice IMO.
Solid view point McAggie.... With agents it's like having the cat guard the meat house. Agents are expert at trading contracts (players,,,,people) for a profit.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 19th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Agents are just lawyers is sheep clothing. While there are some reputable agents out there, a lot of sleazy ones are there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 20th, 2019, 12:31 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 11:19 pm
Agents are just lawyers is sheep clothing. While there are some reputable agents out there, a lot of sleazy ones are there too.

These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post (total 3):
Usu0505sneedaggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 20th, 2019, 7:06 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
Agents are just lawyers is sheep clothing.
Hey!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

I view this as networking. Queta isn’t stupid. Nor are scouts. Nor are those at USU.

Don’t put too much weight on agent advice.

I admit I don’t know what scouts are thinking, but if I’m a scout I would be honest with Queta, I would tell him what he needs to work on- and now he is on my radar more during his next year in college.

I want to bring in talent that is ready, I don’t want to bring in projects- when they can develop without my organization needing to pay for it. Brining in a D Leaguer who may bolt to Europe is a loss for NBA scouts.

Yes an agent can give bad advice, but a self-serving agent is one person... I think there will be a lot more who can be honest because honesty is in the best interest of a lot of others.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 20th, 2019, 1:32 pm

USU78 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
Agents are just lawyers is sheep clothing.
Hey!
Except you, of course.

These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
USU78

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 21st, 2019, 7:56 am

utaggies wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 6:29 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
For early entry applicants, agents cannot pay for training if the player wishes to preserve his college eligibility. Only travel, lodging and meal costs can be covered.
Yep, said it wasn’t the case for Queta 😀

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 22nd, 2019, 7:07 pm

So he's staying?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 22nd, 2019, 9:26 pm

Exactly what Queta should do.....

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » April 22nd, 2019, 9:35 pm

CBS, like ESPN, also doesn't have Queta listed as a top 100 prospect.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 22nd, 2019, 9:57 pm

You don’t want to be the agent who is self serving or gives poor advice or you will quickly be out of a job. There is competition in that industry that drives positive results.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » April 23rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 9:35 pm
CBS, like ESPN, also doesn't have Queta listed as a top 100 prospect.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/
"Queta is not on this list of the top X prospects" is a common refrain on this board, but it's just not reality. Queta is a top 45 prospect at the absolute most conservative evaluation. The lists that don't have him just haven't factored him in yet. See for example:

I would LOVE if Queta came back to USU for one more year, but it's not happening. He will be a first round pick this year (maybe as high as top 20) and as big man with a history of lower body injuries, it is the right call for him. Be happy we got this year and root for him to stay healthy in the NBA and be a great representative for the Aggies.

Yes he is raw, but the D-League is better for him than the MW. The MW does not have athletes that can challenge Neemias. Even if he is "kicking around" in the D-League for two years, that is his best path.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm

When I read Queta's tweet, it seems obvious to me that he is gone.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 23rd, 2019, 2:58 pm

NVAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 1:21 pm
When I read Queta's tweet, it seems obvious to me that he is gone.
Me too. Just hope someone can talk sense to him.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 23rd, 2019, 3:13 pm

Queta is not a first round pick this year... unless he owns the workouts. The Athletic has him at around 70. They released an article today stating that he would be the 29th pick in the 2020 draft and he should go back to Utah State.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » April 23rd, 2019, 4:31 pm

Talking sense into Queta would mean telling him to stay in the Draft. Potentially moving up 5-10 spots is not worth the (very high) risk of a career-ending injury. Queta will be a first round pick this year. Guys with his standing reach and any kind of mobility get picked in the first round. That's just how it is.

Locked Previous topicNext topic