Recruiting

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Recruiting

Post by bpd » April 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm

It looks like we are not on the hunt for Brandon Boyd out of Idaho St.

We are recruiting Ryan Murphy from New Mexico JC, he is a combo guard. Many other schools are also recruiting him.

We are also looking at a big man from Wisconsin, David Skogman. He was pretty heavily recruited earlier, but schools have backed off. He just got back from a trip to Buffalo.
Last edited by bpd on April 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Recruiting

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

bpd wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm
It looks like we are not on the hunt for Brandon Boyd out of Idaho St.

We are recruiting Ryan Murphy from New Mexico JC, he is a combo guard. Many other schools are also recruiting him.

We are also rectangular big man from Wisconsin, David Skogman. He was pretty heavily recruited earlier, but schools have backed off. He just got back from a trip to Buffalo.
The coaching staff will be meeting with Skogman this week. I'll check into how serious we are about Ryan Murphy.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 22nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

bpd wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 9:33 pm
We are also rectangular big man from Wisconsin, David Skogman.
He’s a load for sure, but he struggles with the pick-and-roll.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 22nd, 2019, 11:30 pm

Interesting note: Skogman had the same experience as Danny Berger; dropped on the court during summer league play and went into cardiac arrest. He was shocked back to life the same way Berger was.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 22nd, 2019, 11:51 pm

I hope that that’s the only thing he has in common with Berger.

Also, it seems like we are challenging BYU for whitest team ever.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 23rd, 2019, 12:08 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 11:51 pm

Okay, so let's talk about the elephant in the room. I've had numerous thoughts on this topic, even going back into the season but every time I type any of it out and read it back to myself I swear it sounds like I am some ranting lunatic racist.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » April 23rd, 2019, 6:28 am

I agree that it doesn’t look great. That being said it shouldn’t be a huge surprise given the snapshot of states from which we’re recruiting to make up a team. In terms of cultural diversity here are key state ranks:

Utah- 30
Idaho- 35
Minnesota-36
Wisconsin- 40
South Dakota- 42
(Source: wallet hub / census data)

If you want a more diverse team you have to more effectively recruit California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, etc. That’s the biggest reason for the relative differences between our football and basketball team makeups.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post:
JSHarvey

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 23rd, 2019, 6:51 am

Aglicious wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 12:08 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Okay, so let's talk about the elephant in the room. I've had numerous thoughts on this topic, even going back into the season but every time I type any of it out and read it back to myself I swear it sounds like I am some ranting lunatic racist.
I've just been saying that we don't pass the eye test... :noidea:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2019, 7:31 am

Aglicious wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I don’t know that just perceiving race is racist. It’s really just an observable fact that most of our players are white. I’ve not made any value judgments on that basis.

I would find it concerning only if it meant we were having a difficult time recruiting persons of color (since you never want the pool of available talent to be limited). I don’t perceive that to be the case, so I think our abundant whiteness is really just more of a statistical oddity. Most of the guys in this year’s talent crop that the coaches have found to be good fits for our team just happen to be white, and that’s okay.

More than anything, I just want a really good team, and am really excited about the guys we’ve recruited this year (we have the #1 recruiting class in the MW—how could you not be excited?). However, I fully expect to hear from commentators all year (especially if Queta stays in the draft) that we are “athletically limited,” but “fundamentally sound,” and/or “cerebral,” and we all know what all of that stupid coded language means. It’ll be annoying to have to hear it, because it’s total BS (especially if McChesney and Bairstow are playing significant minutes as I see both as being major athletic upgrades to the roster).
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
sneedflying_scotsman2.0Aglicious

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 23rd, 2019, 9:20 am

Apparently blue eyes make you less able to play basketball.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 23rd, 2019, 9:36 am

I'm not going to lye, it kind of bothers me and I think it hurts recruiting and is possible why some players left.

Jeff Goodman listed his top 100 transfers this morning. We are no longer on the list of Kareem South, which surprised me. However we are on the list of Camron Justice with about 10 other schools, he is a grad transfer from IUPUI. We are also on the list of Teyvion Kirk who a sit out transfer.

I surprised we have not heard of more JC players.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 23rd, 2019, 10:06 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 7:31 am
Aglicious wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I don’t know that just perceiving race is racist. It’s really just an observable fact that most of our players are white. I’ve not made any value judgments on that basis.

I would find it concerning only if it meant we were having a difficult time recruiting persons of color (since you never want the pool of available talent to be limited). I don’t perceive that to be the case, so I think our abundant whiteness is really just more of a statistical oddity. Most of the guys in this year’s talent crop that the coaches have found to be good fits for our team just happen to be white, and that’s okay.

More than anything, I just want a really good team, and am really excited about the guys we’ve recruited this year (we have the #1 recruiting class in the MW—how could you not be excited?). However, I fully expect to hear from commentators all year (especially if Queta stays in the draft) that we are “athletically limited,” but “fundamentally sound,” and/or “cerebral,” and we all know what all of that stupid coded language means. It’ll be annoying to have to hear it, because it’s total BS (especially if McChesney and Bairstow are playing significant minutes as I see both as being major athletic upgrades to the roster).
Don't forget my favorites, "high basketball IQ" but "doesn't pass the eye test."

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » April 23rd, 2019, 11:22 am

NVAggie wrote:Apparently blue eyes make you less able to play basketball.
That is real in baseball...

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/spor ... glare.html

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

bullshot

Post by bullshot » April 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

I believe someone recently stated on this board that we will be surprised at the higher quality of transfers that will be considering USU due to our very successful season. Is that still the case or not? It appears the high quality of pg transfers considering USU is not materializing. I hope I am wrong.

usu99

Post by usu99 » April 23rd, 2019, 12:50 pm

With Queta likely gone that is going to hurt our recruiting

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 23rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

usu99 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 12:50 pm
With Queta likely gone that is going to hurt our recruiting
It shouldn't because now the coaching staff has bragging rights they took a complete unknown going into the season and turned him into an NBA draft pick in less than a year. That is a feather in recruiting cap that NO coach at USU has had in the modern basketball era.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
bluebloodChicAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 23rd, 2019, 10:07 pm

With Toolson going back to BYU, they now have the lead in the whitest team in America competition. :stirpot:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2019, 7:40 am

It’s strange to not see us being linked anymore to any of the many grad transfer PGs that are available given we’ve lost three guys in the last few months who played time at the PG spot (TK, JK3, and Ainge).

Since it seems we aren’t hot after any grad transfer PG, I wonder if the plan is to have Sam play significant point guard minutes to free up more time on the wing for Alphonso Anderson and Sean Bairstow?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2019, 8:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:40 am
It’s strange to not see us being linked anymore to any of the many grad transfer PGs that are available given we’ve lost three guys in the last few months who played time at the PG spot (TK, JK3, and Ainge).

Since it seems we aren’t hot after any grad transfer PG, I wonder if the plan is to have Sam play significant point guard minutes to free up more time on the wing for Alphonso Anderson and Sean Bairstow?
I hope this is not the case - Sam is not a PG. Can he handle the ball, sure, but he's not a PG. I think if he's in that role it weakens our team. Takes Sam out of his scorer position and doesn't provide the team with a distributor to help get him, and those wing shooters you mentioned, the ball.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
oleblu111

Go Aggies!

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 24th, 2019, 8:06 am

I wouldn’t get caught up in the traditional designations of PG and SG. That is becoming outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2019, 8:18 am

I think you have to have a certain type of athlete to fill those hybrid guard roles. Neither Sam, nor Porter, are it and I love them both. We will not get over the NCAA hump without a quicker, more athlete guard. My opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111Aglicious

Go Aggies!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2019, 9:01 am

Aggie19 wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 8:00 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:40 am

I hope this is not the case - Sam is not a PG. Can he handle the ball, sure, but he's not a PG. I think if he's in that role it weakens our team. Takes Sam out of his scorer position and doesn't provide the team with a distributor to help get him, and those wing shooters you mentioned, the ball.
I don't think we'll see Anderson out on the wing often. He'll be a bit undersized but I see him as more of a PF. I do expect to see Bairstow and McChensney out on the wing though.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 24th, 2019, 9:04 am

"PG" or not, I am surprised by the lack of buzz out there around us recruiting upperclassmen guards. I think some ball handling skills and athleticism are desperately needed there.

bpd

Post by bpd » April 24th, 2019, 9:20 am

As the days go by, it looks like the grad transfer market is drying up and we are being left out in the cold. Many of the grad transfers are going to high major programs. I agree we need to be more athletic and be able to beat teams off the dribble. We need a player like that. The spring recruiting period has turned into a clusterfu**. So many teams scrambling because the draft and transfers and teams are reaching for anybody. Again, I am surprised we have not heard of any JC PGs.

Locked Previous topicNext topic