Time to include Westbrook on the list of "Superstars who can't win"

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Time to include Westbrook on the list of "Superstars who can't win"

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Yeah he has been to the finals and been to the conference finals two other times, but without Durant even with a high salary roster and another all nba player he can't get out of the first round. In 2015 with Durant hurt, the Thunder fail to make the playoffs. In 2017 without Durant he wins mvp, but fails to get out of the first round. Everybody blamed his supposed lackluster teammates even though Oladipo is a pretty good player. The next year they trade for Paul George and Carmelo Anthony and have high expectations. They again lose in the first round with Westbrook taking 43 shots in the final game and his poor defense made Ricky Rubio look like a star. Everybody blamed Carmelo for the series loss. They trade away Carmelo and this is supposed to be the year. Paul George has an MVP caliber season and Westbrook averages a triple double again, yet they finish even lower in the standings as Lillard is unstoppable and the Thunder do even worse in the playoffs this year.

I know people love Westbrook because Durant was the villain for leaving and people like his triple doubles, but it is now time to include him on the list of star players who can't win.

dyedblue

Re: Time to include Westbrook on the list of "Superstars who can't win"

Post by dyedblue » April 24th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Stephon Marbury and Tracy McGrady approve of this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 24th, 2019, 3:46 pm

When does Rudy Gobert get inducted?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 24th, 2019, 3:51 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:When does Rudy Gobert get inducted?
He's 2-2 in series right now. If he were 0-4 perhaps he'd be in conversation. Utah has only had one all-star total in the three seasons he's been in the playoffs. I think you're off-base on that one.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

YoungBloodAggie

Re: Time to include Westbrook on the list of

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 24th, 2019, 4:11 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 3:51 pm
He's 2-2 in series right now. If he were 0-4 perhaps he'd be in conversation. Utah has only had one all-star total in the three seasons he's been in the playoffs. I think you're off-base on that one.

He's also been whooped by Clint Capela in a series, and played to a draw by Steven Adams. I am a Jazz fan, but Gobert has not shown an ability to elevate his game in the playoffs for more than a game or two. His continued development on the offensive end is a necessity, or else he's nothing more than a glorified Mark Eaton.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 24th, 2019, 5:53 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 4:11 pm
dyedblue wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 3:51 pm
He's also been whooped by Clint Capela in a series, and played to a draw by Steven Adams. I am a Jazz fan, but Gobert has not shown an ability to elevate his game in the playoffs for more than a game or two. His continued development on the offensive end is a necessity, or else he's nothing more than a glorified Mark Eaton.
The greatness of Gobert is that he doesn't care about the individual comparisons. Other Centers may get better stats in a Gobert match up because Gobert won't get sucked into the one-on-one narrative. He plays team ball. He stays focused on what the team needs from him - and it's not stopping Capela or Adams. Take a look at the offensive stats of those teams when they played the Jazz and compare those to their averages. That's where you see the greatness of Gobert.

Great offensive players have gravity - meaning the entire defense tends to play closer to them because they respect their game. Gobert does the opposite to teams. He's the anti-gravity. Teams play away from him. He makes them take shots they don't want to take.
Last edited by brownjeans on April 24th, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 24th, 2019, 5:54 pm

OKC had Harden, Durant, and Westbrook and they let the other two go for Westbrook? Anyone who watched Westbrook ball-hog in crunch time with those two as his teammates should have known better than to choose Westbrook. He's never evolved, never developed into a good shooter, never became a guy who can work within a team system to beat you with his teammates. His game is all based on being the best athlete on the floor and he's at an age where he's losing that quality and has nothing else in his game. OKC has the second-largest payroll and is screwed.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 24th, 2019, 7:52 pm

brownjeans wrote:OKC had Harden, Durant, and Westbrook and they let the other two go for Westbrook? Anyone who watched Westbrook ball-hog in crunch time with those two as his teammates should have known better than to choose Westbrook. He's never evolved, never developed into a good shooter, never became a guy who can work within a team system to beat you with his teammates. His game is all based on being the best athlete on the floor and he's at an age where he's losing that quality and has nothing else in his game. OKC has the second-largest payroll and is screwed.
I’m not sure they “let” Durant go.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 25th, 2019, 7:24 am

You can also add Westbrook to the list of biggest douchebags in sports.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 25th, 2019, 10:12 am

Just don't call him a thug.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Don't get me wrong I love Gobert, but he isn't a superstar. Neither is Mitchell at this point although he has the potential to become one.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » April 25th, 2019, 4:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 7:24 am
You can also add Westbrook to the list of biggest douchebags in sports.
Right by Harden and Chris Paul

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 25th, 2019, 8:35 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:52 pm
brownjeans wrote:OKC had Harden, Durant, and Westbrook and they let the other two go for Westbrook? Anyone who watched Westbrook ball-hog in crunch time with those two as his teammates should have known better than to choose Westbrook. He's never evolved, never developed into a good shooter, never became a guy who can work within a team system to beat you with his teammates. His game is all based on being the best athlete on the floor and he's at an age where he's losing that quality and has nothing else in his game. OKC has the second-largest payroll and is screwed.
I’m not sure they “let” Durant go.
Fair. But they didn't make it a priority to keep him. They should have traded Westbrook several years ago. Maybe Durant would've still left, but now they're stuck with a medium-good team and no money. They can't get better without blowing it up and they don't have the guts to do that.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 26th, 2019, 7:56 am

Thhhhaaaats raaayyyycissst

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 26th, 2019, 2:24 pm

How many playoff series has Gobert played in where his team was favored or expected to win? Have to blow a series or two as a favorite before you get pegged as someone who can't win in the playoffs.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Charles Barkley ain’t walking through that door. #PitinoGame

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic