Best player in the history of Utah is an Aggie!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 25th, 2019, 7:54 am

This is a great story on Wayne Estes that argues he was the best ever to play in Utah. I wish I could have seen him play but sadly he was already gone when I was born.
Last edited by GeorgiaAggie on March 25th, 2019, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post (total 5):
aggies22Aggie_in_IdahoslcaggjpswensenAgsman

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Best player in the history of Utah is an Aggie!

Post by aggies22 » March 25th, 2019, 8:11 am

Wow, just wow. I've never seen any of that footage. What a legend! I am going to have to add that it's an awfully strange coincidence that this was finally compiled and aired just days after the season that resurrected Aggie Hoops ended.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 25th, 2019, 8:32 am

Thanks for watching over USU hoops Wayne.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggie_in_Idahousufan1

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 25th, 2019, 9:20 am

The next morning my dad came into my bedroom early and told me of Estes's death. That moment and the rest of the day was the worst day of my life up til then. I was 16 years old.

Living in Salt Lake then I was not able to see Estes play a lot, but I saw him play over a dozen times, and I have never seen anything like Wayne since. My favorite shot he could make was a 15 ft hook shot from the baseline that I always marveled how he could make it regularly without hitting the side of the backboard. So little room for error. For those who aren't aware, the Los Angeles Lakers had the 2nd pick in the NBA draft that year. Wayne Estes was going to be their pick, with only Rick Barry to be picked ahead of him.

Truly a legend.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » March 25th, 2019, 10:02 am

I'm always amazed when I see clips of Estes's hook shot. Never seen anything like it.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 25th, 2019, 10:53 am

I'm sixty-five years old. It still makes me tear up.

The pukes and boogars used to call him "Baby Huey" because he showed up in Logan kind of doughy.

BUT ... they couldn't stop him, not in any of the six tries they had at him. What a phenom!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueAggieaggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 25th, 2019, 11:18 am

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 25th, 2019, 12:45 pm

For those of us who actually saw him play it was one of lifes pleasures. The night he died and the next several days were very difficult for so many of us. What a player, what a person.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

joeaggie

Post by joeaggie » March 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm

My grand parents lived on 4th north.
After that game my dad and i drove to their home we drove right by the wreck
People were there so we didnt stop. Before long an ambulance and several more cops drove by so of course we drove on by again. We saw a big guy and another guy laying on the ground butnever knew it was Estes and the other player who kicked him off the wire..didnt know til the next morning what had happened.. I know myself abd ole troutputz saw alot of games
That year and were both at that game. Amazing..just freaking Amazing..
These users thanked the author joeaggie for the post:
aggies22

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » March 25th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I have a copy of Al Lewis, "Wayne Estes, Truly A Great All American," that I will be happy to share with anybody who will send me their email address. I will place it in my dropbox, then you can just right click on it and copy it. We made this several years back and tried to clean it up a lot. But its a great listen and features former Aggie play by play man Reid Andreasen and LaDell Andersen, and then the final interview with Wayne Estes, where he talks about his numb hands and other things.. Email me at vsaunders@utah.gov if you're interested in that.

When Bob Wilson and I visited LaDell in St. George a couple of years ago, he recounted the recruiting of Estes. LaDell said he was planning to make a trip up to the Northwest, and USU Athletic Director Hy Hunsaker told him he couldn't go unless he recruited for all of the other sports. So LaDell took Nog Hansen with him and the went on this trip. While they were up in Montana, they went over the Anaconda to see a big chubby kid named Wayne Estes. He was a pretty good weight guy in Track and Field, and there was some thought that he could also play center on the football team.

However, when they got to Anaconda, Estes turned the tables on them. "Wayne told me, 'I'll come to USU on a football scholarship if you want, Coach, but I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball."' Andersen said there was an earnestness in which Estes made that statement to him-- "I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball"-- that just caught LaDell totally by surprise. He said, "I knew that he truly believed in, and meant what he said." So they took a chance and signed Estes to play basketball, figuring that if he could do the other sports USU would really have an athlete on their hands. He would certainly get a chance to prove his mettle.

Andersen went on to tell us that when they finally got him to Logan, they identified free-throw shooting as a major weakness and with him only being about 6-6 250, they felt he needed to get him to the free-throw line more to be successful. Once told that, Estes went out to improve his free throw shooting. Ladell said he shot something like a thousand free throws every day or something-- It was some astronomical number. LaDell Andersen calls Estes "the greatest variety shooter I have ever seen in all my years of coaching." He said Estes could shoot, with deadly accuracy, every shot in the book. His baseline hook shot was said to be the most deadly, hitting it about 80 percent of the time. He also became a tremendous rebounder and really owned all of the territory around the baseline. During the Craig Wirth video you saw, there was footage from a USU movie entitled, "The Aggie Way To Play Basketball," featuring coach Andersen and Estes. In that video, Andersen said Estes demonstrated shot after shot without a single miss.

Estes career scoring record has been passed up by others (Jaycee Carroll and Greg Grant), and Sam Merrill is on pace to pass Estes' 2001 points about 5/8 of the way through the season next year. But I don't remember anybody who has had the grip on Cache Valley like Wayne Estes. His death hung over Cache Valley like a fog for several years. Some people never really got over it.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 4):
USU78newtonianblueaggies22TrueBlueFan

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 25th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I wish I could have seen him play. I was born about 6 months after his death. His story always chokes me up. My dad doesn’t like to talk about it. A legend for the ages...

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » March 25th, 2019, 1:13 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:00 pm
I have a copy of Al Lewis, "Wayne Estes, Truly A Great All American," that I will be happy to share with anybody who will send me their email address. I may place it in my dropbox, then you can just right click on it and copy it. We made this several years back and tried to clean it up a lot. But its a great listen and features former Aggie play by play man Reid Andreasen and LaDell Andersen. Email me at vsaunders@utah.gov if you're interested in that.

When Bob Wilson and I visited LaDell in St. George a couple of years ago, he recounted the recruiting of Estes. LaDell said he was planning to make a trip up to the Northwest, and USU Athletic Director Hy Hunsaker told him he couldn't go unless he recruited for all of the other sports. So LaDell took Nog Hansen with him and the went on this trip. While they were up in Montana, they went over the Anaconda to see a big chubby kid named Wayne Estes. He was a pretty good weight guy in Track and Field, and there was some though that he could also play center on the football team.

However, when they got to Anaconda, Estes turned the tables on them. "Wayne told me, 'I'll come to USU on a football scholarship if you want, Coach, but I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball."' Andersen said there was an earnestness in which Estes made that statement to him-- "I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball"-- that just caught LaDell totally by surprise. He said, "I knew that he truly believe in, and meant what he said." So they took a chance and signed Estes to play basketball, figuring that if he could do the other sports USU would really have an athlete on their hands. He would certainly get a chance to prove his mettle.

Andersen went on to tell us that when they finally got him to Logan, they identified free-throw shooting as a major weakness and with him only being about 6-6 250, they felt he needed to get him to the free-throw line more to be successful. Once told that, Estes went out to improve his free throw shooting. Ladell said he shot something like a thousand free throws every day or something-- It was some astronomical number. LaDell Andersen calls Estes "the greatest variety shooter I have ever seen in all my years of coaching." He said Estes could shoot, with deadly accuracy, every shot in the book. His baseline hook shot was said to be the most deadly, hitting it about 80 percent of the time. He also became a tremendous rebounder and really owned all of the territory around the baseline. During the Craig Wirth video you saw, there was footage from a USU movie entitled, "The Aggie Way To Play Basketball," featuring coach Andersen and Estes. In that video, Andersen said Estes demonstrated shot after shot without a single miss.

Estes career scoring record has been passed up by others (Jaycee Carroll and Greg Grant), and Sam Merrill is on pace to pass Estes' 2001 points about 5/8 of the way through the season next year. But I don't remember anybody who has had the grip on Cache Valley like Wayne Estes. His death hung over Cache Valley like a fog for several years. Some people never really got over it.
If I recall correctly, freshmen didn't play varsity back then. This means that his scoring record was accomplished in less than three years. Those others did it in four. Remarkable!!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 25th, 2019, 1:55 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:13 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 1:00 pm
I have a copy of Al Lewis, "Wayne Estes, Truly A Great All American," that I will be happy to share with anybody who will send me their email address. I may place it in my dropbox, then you can just right click on it and copy it. We made this several years back and tried to clean it up a lot. But its a great listen and features former Aggie play by play man Reid Andreasen and LaDell Andersen. Email me at vsaunders@utah.gov if you're interested in that.

When Bob Wilson and I visited LaDell in St. George a couple of years ago, he recounted the recruiting of Estes. LaDell said he was planning to make a trip up to the Northwest, and USU Athletic Director Hy Hunsaker told him he couldn't go unless he recruited for all of the other sports. So LaDell took Nog Hansen with him and the went on this trip. While they were up in Montana, they went over the Anaconda to see a big chubby kid named Wayne Estes. He was a pretty good weight guy in Track and Field, and there was some though that he could also play center on the football team.

However, when they got to Anaconda, Estes turned the tables on them. "Wayne told me, 'I'll come to USU on a football scholarship if you want, Coach, but I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball."' Andersen said there was an earnestness in which Estes made that statement to him-- "I'm a basketball player. I want to play basketball"-- that just caught LaDell totally by surprise. He said, "I knew that he truly believe in, and meant what he said." So they took a chance and signed Estes to play basketball, figuring that if he could do the other sports USU would really have an athlete on their hands. He would certainly get a chance to prove his mettle.

If I recall correctly, freshmen didn't play varsity back then. This means that his scoring record was accomplished in less than three years. Those others did it in four. Remarkable!!
And as the video says, no 3-point line and no shot clock.....

Edit: I believe the Big West instituted the 3-point line in 1987 so Grant didn’t have the benefit of the 3-point line either.

cvaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by cvaggie » March 25th, 2019, 3:12 pm

I've told this experience before so bear with me.. The greatest basketball game I have ever attended was USU playing BYU in Provo Estes senior year It was a close game taking turns with the lead. With about one minute let BYU had the lead with a one point lead. They went into a four corner stall The aggies resisting fouling , but with seconds left Gary Bachler of BYU drove the key put up a shot and was fouled. He was one of the leading foul shooters in the nation. Troy Collier fouled out. Mike Casey came in. Bachler missed the foul shot. Estes was not to be denied and went up for the rebound. Casey was off and running to USUs basket. Estes came down with the rebound and went back up again and fired a bullet pass to Casey. Casey leaped reaching to catch the ball with one hand and bounded backup and dunked the ball so hard you could not see the net moved. They were slow putting the basket on the score board. I thought he must have missed the dunk. They after a delay put it up for a USU victory.
These users thanked the author cvaggie for the post:
crazywookie

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm

I was 9 years old when I started watching Estes play. My Pop and I had season tickets underneath the basket in the old fieldhouse. I will be forever in debt to my Pop for his patience of taking me to all of Wayne’s games in Logan. One winter when USU was on winter break, my Pop and I sat on the first row of the student section. I can remember it like it was yesterday. The Ags played Ohio State in Logan. Ohio State had an all American named Gary Bradds. Estes and him had quite a match up. Estes got the better and USU won. We also played San Francisco with the great Leroy Ellis, we beat a very good San Francisco team.

The night of Estes death I was able to go into the locker room and get Estes autograph on my program. I was allowed to walk out with Wayne onto the basket ball court at the start of pre-game. Estes signed a basketball that they gave me. I had entered a contest that Kwallis hardware on Main Street was sponsoring, and I won. Another kid won also as they chose two kids! I was age 11 at this time. Of course, Wayne set the fieldhouse scoring record that night. I went home to Trenton to bed and awoke the usual 5 am to help my Pop milk the Holsteins. Trenton had an Elementary then grades 1 - 6. I was in 6th grade. Dale Ringlishbacker (sp) was our teacher and principal. We had 6 boys and 5 girls in the sixth grade class. 5th grade was also in our room with about the same number of girls and boys. We had a pretty good gym and us boys before school started would always shoot hoops in the morning. Played horse and shot free throws. That morning as us boys were entering the school our Principal meet us and told us that Estes got killed last night! I will never forget that feeling! Just like it is now as I am typing this, tears, tears, and more tears. Wayne Estes was our hero, we all wanted to be like him. We all copied his shots, his fade away. Jumper, his hook shot and the like. I even used to ask my mom if my legs, mainly my thighs, if they were like Estes? School that day was terrible. To make matters worse for our reading story time after lunch Dale would read from a book he chose. We were coming to the end of the book and we all cried some more, as the book he was reading was called, “Where the Red Fern Grows”
I went home after school and was so distraught. Thank goodness there was chores to do to take my mind off of Wayne’s death for a short while. That was such a hard week for me and everyone! The Valley was in a sad feeling. Seemed to last for 2 weeks! My Pop ands I went to the memorial service at USU. I just kept asking my Pop, why? Why did it have to be Estes? He could only respond sometimes the good Lord needs him on the other side. Of course, that never helped me but what could my Pop say?

The years went by. I started fishing in Montana more. My first cousin had a cabin on Georgetown Lake up the canyon in the Pintler Wilderness area outside of Anaconda, where Wayne was from. One year I am fishing at the lake with my Aggie t shirt on when another fisherman came to me and said, your an Aggie aye? Yes! My brother played for the Aggies. Whose your brother? Wayne Estes, I am Ron the younger brother. Ron was and is my same age. He was 11 when Estes died. We talked clear into the night. At the time he was teaching high school at Granite High in P-burg, Philipsburg, Montana. Still one of my favorite places to go. Went there last year with my son who lives in Logan. We fished the lake and our favorite streams Famous Rock Creek, and Flint Creek, plus a day trip to the Big Hole river! When I fish up there I feel Wayne is watching and I have a peace I can get nowhere else! I have talked to Ron Estes many a times when I go up there. He said I knew more about his brothers basketball days at USU than he did. The parents were not rich $$$$ wise and couldn’t afford to go to the games! I have been to Estes grave site. Just out of Fairmont hot springs! If any of you would like to go there it is worth it. Also if any of you want to seethe best basketball tournament in America go to Anaconda, as they put on the Wayne Estes basketball tournament for ages 8 to 18 I believe. It is usually about now this time of year! Anaconda is only 5 hours from Logan. 4 if you drive like a madman!
Sorry this was so long! But Estes had a profound influence on my life! When I step on the banks of Rock Creek and catch that first Montana Cutthroat, all the hardships and issues of everyday life fade away, as I am in Estes territory, and the memories of innocent youth fills my soul!
Last edited by troutputz on March 26th, 2019, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 15):
bluegrouseAglicious918AGGUSU78aggies22donlarson8Aggie19pablohoneyTrueBlueFanDetroit-Aggie and 5 more users

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 25th, 2019, 3:32 pm

troutputz wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm
I was 9 years old when I started watching Estes play. My Pop and I had season tickets underneath the basket in the old fieldhouse. I will be forever in debt to my Pop for his patience of taking me to all of Wayne’s games in Logan. One winter when USU was on winter break, my Pop and I sat on the first row of the student section. I can remember it like it was yesterday. The Ags played Ohio State in Logan. Ohio State had an all American named Gary Bradds. Estes and him had quite a match up. Esters got the better and USU won. We also played San Francisco with the great Leroy Ellis, we beat a very good San Francisco team.

The night of Estes death I was able to go into the locker room and get Estes autograph on my program. I was allowed to walk out with Wayne onto the basket ball court at the start of pre-game. Estes signed a basketball that they gave me. I had entered a contest that Kwallis hardware on Main Street was sponsoring, and I won. Another kid won also as they chose two kids! I was age 11 at this time. Of course, Wayne set the fieldhouse scoring record that night. I went home to Trenton to bed and awoke the usual 5 am to help my Pop milk the Holsteins. Trenton had an Elementary then grades 1 - 6. I was in 6th grade. Dale Ringlishbacker (sp) was our teacher and principal. We had 6 boys and 5 girls in the sixth grade class. 5th grade was also in our room with about the same number of girls and boys. We had a pretty good gym and us boys before school started would always shoot hoops in the morning. Played horse and shot free throws. That morning as us boys were entering the school our Principal meet us and told us that Estes got killed last night! I will never forget that feeling! Just like it is now as I am typing this, tears, tears, and more tears. Wayne Estes was our hero, we all wanted to be like him. We all copied his shots, his fade away. Jumper, his hook shot and the like. I even used to ask my mom if my legs, mainly my thighs, if they were like Estes? School that day was terrible. To make matters worse for our reading story time after lunch Dale would read from a book he chose. We were coming to the end of the book and we allcryed some more, as the book he was reading was called, “Where the Red Fern Grows”
I went home after school and was so distraught. Thank goodness there was chores to do to take my mind off of Wayne’s death for a short while. That was such a hard week for me and everyone! The Valley was in a sad feeling. Seemed to last for 2 weeks! My Pop ands I went to the memorial service at USU. I just kept asking my Pop, why? Why did it have to be Estes? He could only respond sometimes the good Lord needs him on the other side. Of course, that never helped me but what could my Pop say?

The years went by. I started fishing in Montana more. My first cousin had a cabin on Georgetown Lake up the canyon in the Pinter Wilderness area outside of Anaconda, where Wayne was from. One year I am fishing at the lake with my Aggie t shirt on when another fisherman came to me and said, your an Aggie aye? Yes! My brother played for the Aggies. Whose your brother? Wayne Estes, I am Ron the younger brother. Ron was and is my same age. He was 11 when Estes died. We talked clear into the night. At the time he was teaching high school at Granite High in P-burg, Philipsburg, Montana. Still one of my favorite places to go. Went there last year with my son who lives in Logan. We fished the lake and our favorite streams Famous Rock Creek, and Flint Creek, plus a day trip to the Big Hole river! When I fish up there I feel Wayne is watching and I have a peace I can get nowhere else! I have talked to Ron Estes many a times when I go up there. He said I knew more about his brothers basketball days at USU than he did. The parents were not rich $$$$ wise and couldn’t afford to go to the games! I have been to Estes grave site. Just out of Fairmont hot springs! If any of you would like to go there it is worth it. Also if any of you want to seethe best basketball tournament in America go to Anaconda, as they put on the Wayne Estes basketball tournament for ages 8 to 18 I believe. It is usually about now this time of year! Anaconda is only 5 hours from Logan. 4 if you drive like a madman!
Sorry this was so long! But Estes had a profound influence on my life! When a step on the banks of Rock Creek and catch that first Montana Cutthroat, all the hardships and issues of everyday life fade away, as I am in Estes territory, and the memories of innocent youth fills my soul!
This is one of my all-time favorite posts on this board. Thank you. And welcome back, Trout. You’ve been missed.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
donlarson8

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » March 26th, 2019, 2:46 pm

In his radio interview after the game (with Reid Andreasen) Estes elaborated on how he could not feel his hands; they were numb---the whole game I believe---yet he went on to score 48 points. Listening to that post-game radio interview is interesting to say the least. Can anyone link it?

Troutputz: What do you make of Estes's hands being numb during that final game and yet him still scoring 48? He was planning to go to the doctor about the numbness post-game. In fact when Ladell Andersen got the phone call from the hospital, he assumed it was in regards to Estes's hand numbness. What is the significance of that? Was it something neuro-muscular or something a little more, shall we sat, mysterious?
Last edited by Smokin Joe on March 26th, 2019, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » March 26th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. What a great story!

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 26th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Smokinjoe, I heard one theory from doctor John Worley one time. I don’t know if Worley was the team doctor then, but I know he was the doctor in the early 70,s. He said it would have been a blessing for Wayne to have his hands numb. When Estes grabbed the wire to get it out of the way when it touched his forehead Wayne would not have felt much with his hands numb, thus less pain!

As far as to why his hands were numb in the first place there are a couple of possibilities. Our spines and associated disks in between can get pinched from time to time, especially in our neck area. Also, our feet and ankle area, believe it or not when traumatized can influence the fingers and hands. Some people are sensitive to aspirin and acetaminophen. I have read were people have said that they become a little dizzy, more like an inner ear issue. With that people have said they don’t have very good feeling in their hands, and even their body feels out of sorts. After reading more about inner ear infections I would tend to believe that angle with causing nerve issues in the hands.
Wayne did have the flu the week before said his brother Ron, and Wayne had congestion, and complained about his ears ringing. So who really knows, I remember I had a bad inner ear infection and was playing in Church region championship basketball. I complained to my wife during the game that I could barely feel the ball, and it was hard to get rebounds because of my hands. I was 31 at the time. Went to doctor Bob Budge in Smithfield and told him of my problem. He said it’s your inner ear infection. He gave me some strong anti-biotics and his famous flu mix. In 3 day’s I got the feeling back to normal in my hands. So who knows our ears can do some weird stuff to us if they are infected.
I get ads all the time for hearing aids saying if we just let our hearing get worse and do nothing about it it can lead to Alzheimer and even dimentia!

My brother works part time for. Lindquist Mortuary. I told him next time a old guy dies and he has hearing aids, that if the family has no need for them to ask for them, and then give them to me, saving me 5,000 dollars .

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » March 27th, 2019, 9:24 am

It's a small world. About 30 years ago or so I was judging the Montana State Junior Miss program in Butte, (The old Butte High school is a wonder with the halls filled with photos of football teams of the early 1900's - bearded brawny lads - they had to close the mines on game day.) One of my fellow judges was a lady who was Wayne's fiancee!

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » March 28th, 2019, 12:26 am

I know Judy Martz former Governor of Montana really loved Wayne! Are you talking about his girl friend that was at USU, but later was at BYU?
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
ViAggie

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » March 28th, 2019, 10:10 am

I don't remember her name or claim to fame - she just mention the connection with Wayne during a conversation. I didn't press the issue for details.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 28th, 2019, 11:44 am

cvaggie wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 3:12 pm
I've told this experience before so bear with me.. The greatest basketball game I have ever attended was USU playing BYU in Provo Estes senior year It was a close game taking turns with the lead. With about one minute let BYU had the lead with a one point lead. They went into a four corner stall The aggies resisting fouling , but with seconds left Gary Bachler of BYU drove the key put up a shot and was fouled. He was one of the leading foul shooters in the nation. Troy Collier fouled out. Mike Casey came in. Bachler missed the foul shot. Estes was not to be denied and went up for the rebound. Casey was off and running to USUs basket. Estes came down with the rebound and went back up again and fired a bullet pass to Casey. Casey leaped reaching to catch the ball with one hand and bounded backup and dunked the ball so hard you could not see the net moved. They were slow putting the basket on the score board. I thought he must have missed the dunk. They after a delay put it up for a USU victory.
I was there. Epic. The battle between Troy Collier/Estes and John Fairchild of BYU was fun to watch. Amazing ending.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » March 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Hey, not to detract from the Great Wayne Estes, but I believe the best basketball player in state history, and the best football player in state history came from Utah State. Now there are two bookends! Estes and Olsen.
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 28th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Olderthandirt wrote:
March 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Hey, not to detract from the Great Wayne Estes, but I believe the best basketball player in state history, and the best football player in state history came from Utah State. Now there are two bookends! Estes and Olsen.
Well noted O T D.... Plus if you look at a map of the state of Utah we're STILL ON TOP!!!!!
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
Olderthandirt

tinplater

Post by tinplater » March 28th, 2019, 8:49 pm

What a great tribute! I was a senior at USU 1965 and attended all the home games. I went home basking in the glow of the amazing game just completed. My mother got me out of bed in the morning with the words "Wayne Estes is dead!" It was surreal. One of the strongest images in the coming days was the collection of telegrams and sympathy notes pasted on the inside windows of the student union building. I particularly remember one from Bob Cousy, Celtic great. The entire campus was in shock, just as it had been after the JFK assassination. The memorial service was so poignant, particularly when President Chase gave the game ball to Wayne's younger brother.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 9th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Thanks Trout. You're stories and knowledge about Estes need to be shared.

After a Celtic game where Larry Bird put on an incredible shooting exhibition a reporter went into the stands and asked Red Auerbach if Larry Bird was the greatest pure shooter he had ever seen. Red said "No, that would be Wayne Estes."

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Can we agree that we need to lobby the City of Logan to name a street after him?
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
El SapoTrueBlueFan

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 9th, 2019, 4:27 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Can we agree that we need to lobby the City of Logan to name a street after him?
We can't even get the City of Logan to acknowledge that Utah State exists.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAggiesForever

El Sapo

Re: Street named for the Best player in the history of Utah is an Aggie!

Post by El Sapo » April 22nd, 2019, 1:12 pm

ViAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Check out google maps. A possibility I see is a driveway that serves the ticket center at the spectrum and provides access to the Wayne Estes practice facility.

Logan Public Works would only have to officially identify that "street" in a staff report as "Wayne Estes Dr." and put up 2 street signs. One sign on Lars Hansen Drive and the other on E 900 N. Changing addresses for existing buildings is a concern. The Spectrum, ticket office are the Wayne Estes center are the only effected buildings, and it looks like those addresses wouldn't necessarily need to change.

Any better locations?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 22nd, 2019, 2:58 pm

If a street is named for Wayne Estes, it should be 4th North. That is the street he breathed his final breath, and is the south boundary of the USU campus. The only other option for me would be one of the streets than run past the old George “Doc” Nelson Field house...where Estes played his games. Great Venue.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm

I agree with 4th north. It needs to be something prominent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on April 22nd, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 25th, 2019, 4:39 am

I’m glad to see some footage.

Overall great piece.

One thing I noticed, which maybe was just a slip of the tongue- but when he was talking about Estes he stressed BYU- which in the chain of that phrasing made it come across as if BYU were the pinnacle after they already established that in the coach’s view Estes was better than the pros that he coached. We could then rightfully assume he was probably better than BYU players. Probably just me.

Overall great piece.

Locked Previous topicNext topic