Bill Connelly's Utah State Preview

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 29th, 2019, 8:40 am

Connelly released his USU preview today, and it is about what we expected. See link:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ule-roster

He mentions the questions about Gary returning and trying to run things back, which are fair. I think we can all see how well things have been going so far with Gary, but an outsider would be right to ask these questions.

He also highlights the receiving corps and offensive line as potential weak spots, but gives lots of praise to our defense.

This has got me pumped for the season!
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

thegreendalegelf

Re: Bill Connelly's Utah State Preview

Post by thegreendalegelf » April 29th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I very much share his feelings. Our OL is my biggest concern. I feel like Love does a great job spreading the ball so the WR corp doesn't scare me as much.

While I love Gary and I feel good about the hire, I see where Bill is coming from. Most coaches don't do better on their second trip around. I hope Gary does and I feel like he has everything he needs to do as well or better. I am afraid that things here have changed in the last 6 years.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » April 29th, 2019, 4:05 pm

OLine is a huge spot, assuming that Jordan performs like last year when under duress. He struggled against pressure.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » April 29th, 2019, 4:22 pm

He mentioned that having an inexperienced O-Line doesn’t usually hurt teams as much as you might think. I thought that was interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » April 29th, 2019, 4:37 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 4:22 pm
He mentioned that having an inexperienced O-Line doesn’t usually hurt teams as much as you might think. I thought that was interesting.

What he said was that an inexperienced offensive line is not captured by his S&P+ calculations as it should be. Given the lack of statistical output we get from offensive lines, it is hard to quantify how individual linemen contribute to the overall success of the team and therefore hard to project into the future.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 30th, 2019, 11:42 am

Seems like a very objective take. I do think 11 wins again will be very hard due to a very tough schedule. Bottom line though, it will be a very exciting season.

He is right about one thing, Aggie fans did long for the past regarding the GA hire.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Our defense seems good to very solid and it gives me hope. I think of the old adage that "Offense wins games but Defense wins Championships". Knock on wood for a season with few injuries in this increasingly tough sport. Go AGGIES...

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » May 7th, 2019, 9:35 am

He also put up his MWC 2019 Preview on the same day.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... r-rankings

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » May 7th, 2019, 2:35 pm

jpswensen wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 9:35 am

I get why he thinks Boise State is in a tier all alone, "They've Earned it". However if you look at the last few years, how many championships have they won? Isn't this a preview of the MWC, not how well the Bronco's are regarded? Since 2012 they have won the football championship 3 times. That is NOT domination and in a league of their own. They've been good, sure, but not all alone.

I know I'm biased, but based on the past years results, I would put the tier like this:

Tier 1:
Fresno State (Has had arguably the most success the last 5-6 years)
Boise State
Utah State (Based upon last year and expectations with returning power players).

Tier 2:
San Diego State
etc.....

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 7th, 2019, 3:08 pm

RigAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 2:35 pm
jpswensen wrote:

I get why he thinks Boise State is in a tier all alone, "They've Earned it". However if you look at the last few years, how many championships have they won? Isn't this a preview of the MWC, not how well the Bronco's are regarded? Since 2012 they have won the football championship 3 times. That is NOT domination and in a league of their own. They've been good, sure, but not all alone.

I know I'm biased, but based on the past years results, I would put the tier like this:

Tier 1:
Boise State
Utah State (Based upon last year and expectations with returning power players).

Tier 2:
San Diego State
etc.....
If anyone belongs in Tier 1 with BSU, it is SDSU (if we are going on the last 5-6 years). In fact, under the current MWC membership in place since 2013, SDSU has just 6 less wins than BSU and they are the only two teams that have gone to a bowl game in all six seasons. Fresno State does have a couple of championships to hang their hat on but they are also aided by playing in the much weaker West Division. Record wise, the Bulldogs are closer to CSU than they are SDSU.

Overall FB records under current MWC membership
BSU - 60-20 (.750) - 6 bowls
SDSU - 54-26 (.675) - 6 bowls
USU - 45-34 (.570) - 5 bowls
Fresno St. - 43-36 (.544) - 4 bowls
CSU - 42-36 (.538) - 5 bowls
AFA - 40-36 (.526) - 3 bowls
UNR - 34-41 (.453) - 3 bowls
WYO - 33-42 (.440) - 2 bowls
UNM - 29-45 (.392) - 2 bowls
UNLV - 25-49 (.338) - 1 bowl
UH - 26-52 (.333) - 2 bowls
SJSU - 22-52 (.297) - 1 bowl
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
donlarson8

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 7th, 2019, 5:19 pm

A big part of why he Boise St in it's own tier is due to their consistent recruiting. Year in and year out they are better than anyone else in the MWC. That hasn't quite played out with the same level of domination on the field. And going into this year I think they have some question marks with key players being replaced, but I do kind of get it.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 8th, 2019, 5:48 am

I guess I see the argument with the 75% conference winning percentage BUT domination means closing out weaker teams and consistently winning conference championships which they have NOT done.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » May 8th, 2019, 9:10 am

RigAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 2:35 pm
jpswensen wrote:

Tier 1:
Boise State

Tier 2:
San Diego State
etc.....
These tiers aren't based on last years results or even the past in general. They are based on where the team are expected to be next season. Yes those expectations use the past but there isn't anyone in the MW that is expected to be on the same level as BSU next year. USU, FSU, and SDSU can be up there but they aren't as safe of a guess.

JacobMcNeil
Has thanked: 0

Post by JacobMcNeil » May 29th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Bill Connelly is the man!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I wish I could get some information from those graphs he uses. Defensive explosiveness rated 1.3 and 30% successful? I do like metrics, but sometimes they are just meaningless. Did he watch any of our games? I didn't see any comments that made me think he did.

It's a good article. It's hard to find the words to express your feelings about the GA hire. I wasn't a fan of the move, but could never really capture my feelings like Connelly did in the article. "A move to the past instead of embracing the present." That's pretty good. For me, the outpouring of happy talk surrounding the hire and the comparisons with Stew? It just doesn't seem warranted.

I never thought GA was a very good coach when he was here. He made questionable game time decisions, and the team underperformed given the talent he had on the team.

What I will credit him for is building the program and recruiting. All things considered? That might be the most important quality for a coach.

I'm optimistic because Love, Tipa and Woodward could make me look like a quality HC.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
brownjeans

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 29th, 2019, 3:56 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 4:05 pm
OLine is a huge spot, assuming that Jordan performs like last year when under duress. He struggled against pressure.
I'm curious what stat led you to the conclusion that Love struggled under pressure. I'm not disagreeing with you, but wondered if it was a general observation or if his passer rating was below average when under pressure. My recollection is that he didn't struggle abnormally with pressure.
Last edited by Madmartigan on May 29th, 2019, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » May 29th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 3:56 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 4:05 pm
I'm curious what stat led you to the conclusion that Love struggled under pressure. I'm not disagreeing with you, but wondered if it was a general observation or if his passer rating was below average when under pressure.
I don't remember much duress myself, I remember very few interceptions, 6 I believe, not many sacks, a pretty freakin decent o-line, maybe you're remembering Kent Myers days......just a thought , just a thought.

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 29th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Not many interceptions. Rewatch the Wyo game. Good reference point.

Jordan is an awesome QB. I wouldn't trade him. I just hope for solid Oline play.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » May 29th, 2019, 6:37 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:58 pm
Not many interceptions. Rewatch the Wyo game. Good reference point.

Jordan is an awesome QB. I wouldn't trade him. I just hope for solid Oline play.
6 interceptions the whole season. #facts

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 29th, 2019, 8:10 pm

I quit.

BeHURD

Post by BeHURD » May 29th, 2019, 8:22 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 2:55 pm
I wish I could get some information from those graphs he uses. Defensive explosiveness rated 1.3 and 30% successful? I do like metrics, but sometimes they are just meaningless. Did he watch any of our games? I didn't see any comments that made me think he did.

It's a good article. It's hard to find the words to express your feelings about the GA hire. I wasn't a fan of the move, but could never really capture my feelings like Connelly did in the article. "A move to the past instead of embracing the present." That's pretty good. For me, the outpouring of happy talk surrounding the hire and the comparisons with Stew? It just doesn't seem warranted.

I never thought GA was a very good coach when he was here. He made questionable game time decisions, and the team underperformed given the talent he had on the team.

What I will credit him for is building the program and recruiting. All things considered? That might be the most important quality for a coach.

I'm optimistic because Love, Tipa and Woodward could make me look like a quality HC.
Gary Anderson's teams didn't underperform :crazy:

He coached the first bowl eligible team in almost 15 years and then had the best team since the early 60's. Only a great coach could turn a team around like that. At first I wasn't thrilled about his rehire, but I have talked to a lot of the players on the football team and they all say he is a much better coach than Matt Wells.

Talent isn't everything either, it has to be coached. USC has more talent on an annual basis than our team, but their coaches haven't looked good for a long time. And just because I'm curious, who did you think we could hired that's better than GA?
These users thanked the author BeHURD for the post (total 2):
aceofspadeskbUSU78

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 29th, 2019, 8:52 pm

BeHURD wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 8:22 pm
El Sapo wrote:

He coached the first bowl eligible team in almost 15 years and then had the best team since the early 60's. Only a great coach could turn a team around like that. At first I wasn't thrilled about his rehire, but I have talked to a lot of the players on the football team and they all say he is a much better coach than Matt Wells.

Talent isn't everything either, it has to be coached. USC has more talent on an annual basis than our team, but their coaches haven't looked good for a long time. And just because I'm curious, who did you think we could hired that's better than GA?
There were some very good names interested in the job. I think Gary was best because he’s much more likely to stay long term with success, but the USU job got some highly respected coaches interested in the job that would’ve taken it if offered. It is a much better job than even I gave it credit for before this latest search.

BeHURD

Post by BeHURD » May 29th, 2019, 9:19 pm

And just because I'm curious, who did you think we could hired that's better than GA?
There were some very good names interested in the job. I think Gary was best because he’s much more likely to stay long term with success, but the USU job got some highly respected coaches interested in the job that would’ve taken it if offered. It is a much better job than even I gave it credit for before this latest search.
Rich Rodriguez would have been interesting, but I doubt he would have actually agreed to coach here. He was the only impressive one I can remember. I also haven't looked at it since GA was hired.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 30th, 2019, 7:03 am

BeHURD wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:19 pm
And just because I'm curious, who did you think we could hired that's better than GA?
Rich Rodriguez would have been interesting, but I doubt he would have actually agreed to coach here. He was the only impressive one I can remember. I also haven't looked at it since GA was hired.
PM me.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 30th, 2019, 7:47 am

BeHURD wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

I can verify this statement. The players that I have spoken with all RAVE about the way they are treated by Coach Andersen.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
aceofspadeskbUSU78IdaAg93

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 31st, 2019, 2:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 7:47 am
BeHURD wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

I can verify this statement. The players that I have spoken with all RAVE about the way they are treated by Coach Andersen.
The "players coach" label is a given for GA. It's not something that needed to be pointed out. But keep in mind that the trajectory of a "players coach" may be up in the short term, but it goes down with time. Players need more than rah rah. GA loses control of the players, he said he even lost control of the coaches in his presser. It's a negative trait IMHO.

Watching him coach games where we lost, I always though the other teams coach could have won with our team.

Bobby Wagner, Turbin, Chuckie. There are others. Those were elite players he had.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 31st, 2019, 2:57 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 2:50 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 30th, 2019, 7:47 am
BeHURD wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

The "players coach" label is a given for GA. It's not something that needed to be pointed out. But keep in mind that the trajectory of a "players coach" may be up in the short term, but it goes down with time. Players need more than rah rah. GA loses control of the players, he said he even lost control of the coaches in his presser. It's a negative trait IMHO.

Watching him coach games where we lost, I always though the other teams coach could have won with our team.

Bobby Wagner, Turbin, Chuckie. There are others. Those were elite players he had.

The AD himself said they had great candidates for the position. Like the article said, we didn't look at the present.

BeHURD

Post by BeHURD » May 31st, 2019, 11:27 pm

The AD himself said they had great candidates for the position. Like the article said, we didn't look at the present.
Tom Brady calls Belichick a players coach. Seems to be working out for the Patriots :noidea:

The AD did say they had some great candidates and I am positive he was counting GA in that. We did have some good players, but Wisconsin definitely had more overall talent than we did. You can't put that on Gary and whether or not you want to admit it, BYU had more talent than us too. We still only lost both games by five points. We had three excellent players, but there are 22 players on a team.

I understand wish we got a higher profile coach (even though they would only be here for one good season before they moved on) but I don't understand why you want to predict the failure of USU's football team especially when the one that created it is the coach.

Gary did bad at Oregon State, but he did was great at USU his first time and did a good job at Wisconsin. I'm glad you have decided he is going to fail before he even starts. Have fun watching...

I'm going to cheer for the success of USU and it's coach no matter who it is :rock:

This is the hardest schedule USU has played in a long time. I guess we will see if it was a good hire after this season.

sonny

Post by sonny » June 5th, 2019, 10:07 am

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 5th, 2019, 10:39 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 11:42 am
He is right about one thing, Aggie fans did long for the past regarding the GA hire.
While this may be somewhat nuanced, I do think there is a difference between "longing for the past" and wanting a coach who has already proven he can be extremely successful in this very environment. I fit into the latter camp, as I suspect do most Aggie fans.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 5th, 2019, 10:43 am

El Sapo wrote:
I never thought GA was a very good coach when he was here. . . . the team underperformed given the talent he had on the team.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one! Hilarious stuff, Sapo.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
BeHURD

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 5th, 2019, 10:50 am

The biggest strengths that GA brings to the table are:
-Developing underdeveloped/overlooked players into legit D1 and some times NFL caliber players

-Getting the community excited about the program. While not a measurable thing, the excitement around the program was palpable when he was here. He recruits and understands the state of Utah better than anyone else we could get.

-Staying around long term with success: We did have great candidates interested, but you can't build a program replacing your entire coaching staff every 4-5 years. We need continuity. GA provides the best chance for that

He does have some glaring weaknesses, but the aforementioned strengths make him a uniquely good fit at USU.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 5th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Madmartigan wrote:The biggest strengths that GA brings to the table are:
-Developing underdeveloped/overlooked players into legit D1 and some times NFL caliber players

-Getting the community excited about the program. While not a measurable thing, the excitement around the program was palpable when he was here. He recruits and understands the state of Utah better than anyone else we could get.

-Staying around long term with success: We did have great candidates interested, but you can't build a program replacing your entire coaching staff every 4-5 years. We need continuity. GA provides the best chance for that

He does have some glaring weaknesses, but the aforementioned strengths make him a uniquely good fit at USU.
Agree with this, he is not a good situational X and O coach, and with his recent history one must hope the whole thing doesn’t blow up like it did at OSU.

bull

Post by bull » June 5th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 10:50 am
The biggest strengths that GA brings to the table are:

I strongly agree with the first two points. Did you see the stadium on those old clips GameFAQs posted? It was rockin'. I miss that and think Gary will help bring it back.

I don't think we need continuity to build the team. At the G5 level if you coach is staying for the long haul it is a very bad sign.
I was not a fan of the re-hire, but Gary for sure brings some nice missing pieces. My biggest concern is the offensive speed and game plan.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 5th, 2019, 4:15 pm

BeHURD wrote:
May 31st, 2019, 11:27 pm

Tom Brady calls Belichick a players coach. Seems to be working out for the Patriots :noidea:

The AD did say they had some great candidates and I am positive he was counting GA in that. We did have some good players, but Wisconsin definitely had more overall talent than we did. You can't put that on Gary and whether or not you want to admit it, BYU had more talent than us too. We still only lost both games by five points. We had three excellent players, but there are 22 players on a team.

I understand wish we got a higher profile coach (even though they would only be here for one good season before they moved on) but I don't understand why you want to predict the failure of USU's football team especially when the one that created it is the coach.

Gary did bad at Oregon State, but he did was great at USU his first time and did a good job at Wisconsin. I'm glad you have decided he is going to fail before he even starts. Have fun watching...

I'm going to cheer for the success of USU and it's coach no matter who it is :rock:

This is the hardest schedule USU has played in a long time. I guess we will see if it was a good hire after this season.
Anything can happen with GA and I hope for the best, but 2nd go around coaching history is against him. I will give him credit for the 11-2 (2012) season you refer to, but no way the stench had better players. And like I said previously, GA's a proven recruiter and that alone might be the most important HC trait.

Look at his 2011 roster

Chuck Jacobs 49ers
Kerwynn Williams Cards
Zack Vigil Miami?
Neven Lawson Raiders
Travaris McMillen Rams
Will Davis Dolphins
Bojay Raiders
Maurice Alexander Rams
Fackrell Packers

I probably missed a couple.

We had the offensive and defensive WAC players of the year (Bobby and Turbin)
Larsen and Gapelu All WAC first team OLinemen
We had Chuckie, the Whimpey brothers, Doughtery.

Gary took those players/team to 7-6 season record and a bowl game loss?

Locked Previous topicNext topic