Darwin Thompson - Chiefs on Draft Day

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
astroman31
Has thanked: 0

Darwin Thompson - Chiefs on Draft Day

Post by astroman31 » April 30th, 2019, 10:17 am

An interview with Chiefs GM Brett Veach indicated they were targeting Darwin Thompson from the get go. In fact, they tried to move up in the sixth round, fearing another team was going to take him.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/2 ... -day-three

Since the Chiefs traded its fifth-rounder (No. 167) to the Los Angeles Rams to acquire Hardman at 56, they didn’t pick until the sixth round at pick No. 201. That is where the Chiefs drafted South Carolina cornerback Rashad Fenton. The Chiefs’ next pick wouldn’t come until 13 picks later (214).

Veach explained in a conference call Monday that right after talking to Fenton to tell him he was a Chief, he picked up the phone again, worried that he might not be able to wait to draft running back Darwin Thompson at No. 214.

“I called every team right after we took Fenton to come right back up and get Thompson, couldn’t reach a deal,” he said. “ As soon as I got off the phone with Fenton, I was on the phone trying to get back up there to get Thompson, and I was worried about the first few teams—they didn’t take him, and even though I was calling the teams after that, I couldn’t get a deal done.

“I was looking at these teams. All these teams—they had taken a running back earlier in the draft, so I was like, ‘These teams went running back earlier, I think we might be OK here.’ We were kind of all a little nervous there for those 10, 11, 12 picks because that was a guy that our eyes immediately went to.”

Veach was right, and they ended up with Thompson at their original pick, anyway.

That lucky break allowed them to keep their seventh-rounder and take Illinois interior offensive lineman Nick Allegretti.
These users thanked the author astroman31 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionAggie_in_Idaho

ViAggie

Re: Darwin Thompson - Chiefs on Draft Day

Post by ViAggie » April 30th, 2019, 10:50 am

Thanks for posting, Go Chiefs!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic