Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
treesap32

Re: Queta

Post by treesap32 » April 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm

MarioWest wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 9:35 pm
CBS, like ESPN, also doesn't have Queta listed as a top 100 prospect.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/
"Queta is not on this list of the top X prospects" is a common refrain on this board, but it's just not reality. Queta is a top 45 prospect at the absolute most conservative evaluation. The lists that don't have him just haven't factored him in yet. See for example:

I would LOVE if Queta came back to USU for one more year, but it's not happening. He will be a first round pick this year (maybe as high as top 20) and as big man with a history of lower body injuries, it is the right call for him. Be happy we got this year and root for him to stay healthy in the NBA and be a great representative for the Aggies.

Yes he is raw, but the D-League is better for him than the MW. The MW does not have athletes that can challenge Neemias. Even if he is "kicking around" in the D-League for two years, that is his best path.
What history of injuries?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jjoey53

Queta

Post by Jjoey53 » April 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm

MarioWest wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

"Queta is not on this list of the top X prospects" is a common refrain on this board, but it's just not reality. Queta is a top 45 prospect at the absolute most conservative evaluation. The lists that don't have him just haven't factored him in yet. See for example:

I would LOVE if Queta came back to USU for one more year, but it's not happening. He will be a first round pick this year (maybe as high as top 20) and as big man with a history of lower body injuries, it is the right call for him. Be happy we got this year and root for him to stay healthy in the NBA and be a great representative for the Aggies.

Yes he is raw, but the D-League is better for him than the MW. The MW does not have athletes that can challenge Neemias. Even if he is "kicking around" in the D-League for two years, that is his best path.
No way, he got worked by the kid from CSU and UW exposed him in the tourney, if he goes out this year, he will go undrafted and end up in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jjoey53 on April 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 24th, 2019, 9:20 am

In my strong opinion Queta isn't a 1st round pick, not this year. I will bet the likelihood of him getting drafted in the 2nd round is at 99.9% though. He's the perfect 2nd round pick. Is pretty raw and has a ton of potential.

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » April 24th, 2019, 9:56 am

It is better to have loved Queta for one year than to never have loved him at all. Let his NBA dream play out and if it doesn't he will be a millionaire in Europe and we may even see him one day in the Olympic games.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post (total 4):
oleblu111thegreendalegelfsneedReal Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm

This guy is a solid source. I think Queta has a good chance of making the first round. I think workouts his stock will only go up.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 24th, 2019, 4:47 pm

27 up from 35

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 24th, 2019, 5:01 pm

60 players are invited to the NBA combine. If the noted source is to be believed then Queta is a lock to be invited to the combine. May 29th is the last date for him to decide to return to school. If he goes to the combine and doesn’t get drafted he can’t resume his college career.

It appears to be very likely that he gone and only somewhat less likely that he goes in the 1st round.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 24th, 2019, 5:56 pm

There are worse problems to have then having a guy from your school go in the first round.

It would be awesome to have him back, but I think we’ll still be a pretty good, albeit different team next year with keeping Sam and bringing in a great class.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » April 24th, 2019, 7:34 pm

I talked to a player.....though I won't disclose who this player is....He said that he thinks Queta will be back. Then again, he said he thought there is a good chance we would get Toolson to come to USU.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 24th, 2019, 8:12 pm

TrueBlueFan wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 7:34 pm
I talked to a player.....though I won't disclose who this player is....He said that he thinks Queta will be back. Then again, he said he thought there is a good chance we would get Toolson to come to USU.
I think there was a chance that toolson would come to Logan.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 25th, 2019, 5:29 am

slcagg wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 8:12 pm
TrueBlueFan wrote:
The coaching staff thought getting Toolson here was a possibility. The player you talked to probably got his optimism from them.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » April 25th, 2019, 8:21 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 5:29 am
slcagg wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 8:12 pm
TrueBlueFan wrote:
The coaching staff thought getting Toolson here was a possibility. The player you talked to probably got his optimism from them.
I don't blame him for feeling optomistic. I just hope he is more right about Queta than he was about Toolson.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » April 27th, 2019, 8:00 pm

treesap32 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 10:18 pm
MarioWest wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

What history of injuries?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The only sources I can find are some Reddit posts but a friend I trust who follows Euro hoops very closely told me he has a history of knee injuries. He texted me, “how the hell did USU land a prospect like Neemias Queta?” before the season while people on this board were still comparing him to Modou Niang.

I know that’s not a rock solid source or anything but Neemi is obviously knock-kneed. Very easy to believe he has an injury history, but it was irresponsible of me to post that without knowing for sure.
Last edited by MarioWest on April 27th, 2019, 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » April 27th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm
MarioWest wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

No way, he got worked by the kid from CSU and UW exposed him in the tourney, if he goes out this year, he will go undrafted and end up in Europe.

If anyone exposed Neemi, it was Jordan Caroline dragging him out to the perimeter at Nevada. Neemi was good against UW defensively (even the guy that nearly posterized him missed the dunk because Neemi is SO long), but he did struggle offensively.

Neemi’s offensive game is very close to irrelevant to NBA scouts, though. He will be drafted for his defense with the hope he won’t kill you on offense.

Carvacho did work him, but give Neemi a couple years. If he stays healthy, a relic like Carvacho will be laughable by comparison

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 27th, 2019, 8:59 pm

MarioWest wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 11:04 pm
MarioWest wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

If anyone exposed Neemi, it was Jordan Caroline dragging him out to the perimeter at Nevada. Neemi was good against UW defensively (even the guy that nearly posterized him missed the dunk because Neemi is SO long), but he did struggle offensively.

Neemi’s offensive game is very close to irrelevant to NBA scouts, though. He will be drafted for his defense with the hope he won’t kill you on offense.

Carvacho did work him, but give Neemi a couple years. If he stays healthy, a relic like Carvacho will be laughable by comparison
Neemi owned him in the game in Logan, think Carvacho had 13 points and only 4 were scored when queta was in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 27th, 2019, 9:17 pm

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » April 27th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Yeah I’ve prepared myself that Nemi is gone. I was hoping somehow we’d have him one more year with Sam but that’s not going to happen.

I don’t blame him what an opportunity that I would surely take as well.

It was a magical season and he’s a talent we just don’t see come to Logan. Who’d have guessed USU will have a one and done!

Good luck Nemi - as coach says keep their heads ringing!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 28th, 2019, 12:19 am

bluegrouse wrote:
Yeah, but still.

Hail Aggies!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 28th, 2019, 12:37 am

Looking like he’s gone.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 28th, 2019, 1:09 am

He may be gone, but it’s not a sure thing. Here are a few stats from the players who were invited to the 2018 combine:
- 69 invitees
- 21 (30%) were not drafted (including the Martin twins)
- 7 draftees never played in the NBA
- There were 12 players who didn’t participate in the combine who were drafted
- Of the 48 combine invitees who were drafted, 24 went in the 1st round and 24 went in the 2nd round

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 28th, 2019, 5:35 am

Big time for him. I really think he will continue to rise. Maybe an excellent replacement for favors at a cheap price, being somewhat sarcastic and speaking with blue goggles. I do love favors as well.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 28th, 2019, 10:33 am

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 28th, 2019, 2:50 pm

You know, good for Queta. I'm really excited the prospects are good for him, and I wish him the best. I'd love to see him representing as an Aggie in the NBA.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
oleblu111donlarson8

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 30th, 2019, 10:32 am

slcagg wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm

This guy is a solid source. I think Queta has a good chance of making the first round. I think workouts his stock will only go up.
Jeremy Woo is the son of the Career Services Director at the UChicago Law School. I remember when he got his first internship at Sports Illustrated when he was still a journalism student at Northwestern. Man, I'm getting old.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 30th, 2019, 10:34 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 10:00 pm
Who’d have guessed USU will have a one and done!
Not I. Even when it was clear early on he had NBA talent, I thought we'd have him for 3-4 years. C'est la vie.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
oleblu111

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 30th, 2019, 11:24 am

Reality is, if Neemi is picked in the first round, even #30, he'll make more money on his rookie contract than most of the rest of us will make in a 40+ year career. It'll end up being somewhere over $6million. That's equivalent to $160,000 per year for a 40 year career.

If he has a chance at the first round, leaving is DEFINITELY the right choice.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 30th, 2019, 11:45 am

Still don’t see him any higher than a low 2nd rounder. I wish him the best, but would not be surprised to see him not drafted,

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 30th, 2019, 6:22 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-d ... rj-barrett

Sports Illustrated has him going #27 to San Antonio.

Regardless of his getting drafted or not, if he doesn’t pull his name out by May 29, he’ll have shot any remaining college eligibility.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » April 30th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Sam Vecenie on the Athletic did his mock draft 3.0 and didn’t have Nemi on it at all. He answered some questions about it saying he would be 1st rounder in 2020 and if he declared would be top 45. Anyway I don’t know anything about this guy (Sam) but not knowing if Nemi has declared or not or not having him listed at all doesn’t seem like he’s to dialed in

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 30th, 2019, 7:59 pm

When is the combine? I assume he’ll have time to withdraw before the 29th ?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm

WAAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 7:59 pm

It takes place May 15-19. I've also read a few places that players that attend the Draft Combine can remain in the draft and return to school if undrafted.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 30th, 2019, 9:18 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm
WAAggie wrote:

It takes place May 15-19. I've also read a few places that players that attend the Draft Combine can remain in the draft and return to school if undrafted.
I don’t believe that’s correct. There is an NCAA rule that proposes that undrafted declarants may retain their eligibility but it hasn’t yet been implemented. Any player who declares for the draft and doesn’t pull his name out by May 29th forfeits his ability to reclaim his eligibility — drafted or undrafted.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » April 30th, 2019, 10:27 pm

utaggies wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 9:18 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm
WAAggie wrote:

I don’t believe that’s correct. There is an NCAA rule that proposes that undrafted declarants may retain their eligibility but it hasn’t yet been implemented. Any player who declares for the draft and doesn’t pull his name out by May 29th forfeits his ability to reclaim his eligibility — drafted or undrafted.
I found this on the NCAA website:
College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-g ... ing-degree

That seems to be the source of confusion. The NCAA announced that rule last year with the expectation that the NBA would change their rules. The NBA hasn't yet changed their rules so the NCAA hasn't put that rule into effect yet. They're trying to prevent players being able to be called up to the NBA from college if they return.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » May 1st, 2019, 5:19 am

MarioWest wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I really don't understand this mentality. Clearly the NBA is all about getting the outside shot. Almost all centers in the NBA can shoot a 20 foot shot with ease. In fact the outside shot is so important that they're converting pfs to cs and sfs to pfs.

Queta has a lot of work to do on his shot. If I were an NBA franchise I'd make almost all of my bets in the draft based on how a young man shoots and handles the ball. The only thing that really excited me about Queta's game right now besides his defense is his ability to pass out of the post. Other than that he's got a lot of work to do and it won't come within 4 weeks.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 1st, 2019, 6:44 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 5:19 am
MarioWest wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I really don't understand this mentality. Clearly the NBA is all about getting the outside shot. Almost all centers in the NBA can shoot a 20 foot shot with ease. In fact the outside shot is so important that they're converting pfs to cs and sfs to pfs.

Queta has a lot of work to do on his shot. If I were an NBA franchise I'd make almost all of my bets in the draft based on how a young man shoots and handles the ball. The only thing that really excited me about Queta's game right now besides his defense is his ability to pass out of the post. Other than that he's got a lot of work to do and it won't come within 4 weeks.
I don't think this is entirely true. The corner three is only the SECOND most efficient shot in the game. The MOST efficient shot in the game is inside the restricted area. There is a reason Rudy Gobert was No. 3 and Derrick Favors was No. 7 in the NBA in Offensive Rating in 2018-19: they have strong at-the-rim games, pick-and-roll games, and do a ton of rim runs and dive cuts. While having both stretch 4s and 5s is a VERY nice to have to spread the floor for a five-out offense, not every team in the league runs that system.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Locked Previous topicNext topic