Queta

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Queta

Post by NVAggie » May 1st, 2019, 7:41 am

I always have to fight my desire for him to return and keep the ball rolling in Aggieville. I am selfish and just want him to stay. I think it would be wise for all of us to wish him the very best. I hope he gets drafted in the first round. I need a reason to care about the NBA. I hope he is getting the best advice available. The worst-case scenario would be that he loses his dream due to poor advice.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 1st, 2019, 8:12 am

ChicAggie wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 6:44 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 5:19 am
MarioWest wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Neemi’s offensive game is very close to irrelevant to NBA scouts, though. He will be drafted for his defense with the hope he won’t kill you on offense.
I really don't understand this mentality. Clearly the NBA is all about getting the outside shot. Almost all centers in the NBA can shoot a 20 foot shot with ease. In fact the outside shot is so important that they're converting pfs to cs and sfs to pfs.

Queta has a lot of work to do on his shot. If I were an NBA franchise I'd make almost all of my bets in the draft based on how a young man shoots and handles the ball. The only thing that really excited me about Queta's game right now besides his defense is his ability to pass out of the post. Other than that he's got a lot of work to do and it won't come within 4 weeks.
I don't think this is entirely true. The corner three is only the SECOND most efficient shot in the game. The MOST efficient shot in the game is inside the restricted area. There is a reason Rudy Gobert was No. 3 and Derrick Favors was No. 7 in the NBA in Offensive Rating in 2018-19: they have strong at-the-rim games, pick-and-roll games, and do a ton of rim runs and dive cuts. While having both stretch 4s and 5s is a VERY nice to have to spread the floor for a five-out offense, not every team in the league runs that system.
Corner threes have also shown to expose teams to to quick transition if they miss the 3.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 1st, 2019, 9:11 am

TWSS?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » May 1st, 2019, 3:13 pm

Call me crazy but I just don’t see him as nba ready yet. Today’s game is all about the 3 point shot and being able to guard every position. He can’t/doesn’t shoot threes and he can’t guard that well. He can be a good rim protector but will get beat often by quicker, more athletic players. Perfect example the big man from Washington that pretty much had his way with him. He is very raw and has a lot of upside but most nba players would have a hay day with him. Most guys in the nba nowadays his size can handle the ball, shoot threes and take you off the dribble (KD, Giannis etc..). Can you imagine what they would do to him??

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » May 1st, 2019, 4:46 pm

Today on The Ringer's NBA podcast, they discussed the draft and one of the guys talked for a minute or two about how he loves Queta. He can really see him succeed.

He gone.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » May 1st, 2019, 5:06 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 3:13 pm
Call me crazy but I just don’t see him as nba ready yet. Today’s game is all about the 3 point shot and being able to guard every position. He can’t/doesn’t shoot threes and he can’t guard that well. He can be a good rim protector but will get beat often by quicker, more athletic players. Perfect example the big man from Washington that pretty much had his way with him. He is very raw and has a lot of upside but most nba players would have a hay day with him. Most guys in the nba nowadays his size can handle the ball, shoot threes and take you off the dribble (KD, Giannis etc..). He can’t do any of the three. Can you imagine what they would do to him??

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 1st, 2019, 8:06 pm

I’d say the closest Queta comp in the NBA is Mo Bamba. There’s still a place in the NBA for long rim protector type bigs, they just aren’t high value guys unless they are elite (pretty much just Gobert).

The trend is definitely towards stretch bigs and smaller, really athletic “rim runner” type bigs that can guard multiple positions.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 1st, 2019, 9:08 pm

Sorry I accidentally posted twice....ignore this.
Last edited by ThunderAggie on May 2nd, 2019, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 1st, 2019, 9:08 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 8:06 pm
I’d say the closest Queta comp in the NBA is Mo Bamba. There’s still a place in the NBA for long rim protector type bigs, they just aren’t high value guys unless they are elite (pretty much just Gobert).

The trend is definitely towards stretch bigs and smaller, really athletic “rim runner” type bigs that can guard multiple positions.
Speaking of Mo Bamba.....I swear Queta and Bamba are long lost brothers, they look so similar!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:

Sure, other than Bamba's wingspan is 6" longer than Queta's.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 2nd, 2019, 8:53 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Sure, other than Bamba's wingspan is 6" longer than Queta's.
That’s a good point. I still think Bamba is probably the closest comparison.

I really like Queta, and he’s the best NBA prospect we’ve ever had, but my honest eval of Queta at this point is that it’s going to tough for him to stick in the NBA. He is neither as athletic or as freakishly long as a Gobert or a Bamba, and is not as athletic, strong, or as mobile as a guy like Clint Capela.

I see his ceiling right now as career backup, which is probably about right for someone selected at the end of the first or early second as he’s projected.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » May 2nd, 2019, 2:39 pm

If I were giving advice, I'd study the teams who develop raw talent really well, starting with the Spurs and Jazz. I don't pay attention too much anymore to the other NBA teams. Other than that, a worse team for him to play on is someone like the Warriors, hey maybe Boston would be a good development destination??

Other than those, he should pull out and come back to USU for 1 more year. That's my objective analysis. One of the best development teams has to tell his agent he is their first round pick.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 2nd, 2019, 4:59 pm

We all know Queta is not ready for the NBA. He is probably two years away.

However the questions is... what is better for his development? Another year at USU or playing in the G-League while making some coin at it? We all want the first option that is for sure.

Can he potentially make more money by entering the draft a year later and being picked earlier? It's a tough call.
We want you back Neemias, but we also want the best for you.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 2nd, 2019, 6:16 pm

I guess that’s why scouts get paid and I don’t. To me Queta is way too raw for the NBA.

But I’m legitimately awful at basketball
So what do I know.

Hopefully he kills it and proves all of us that doubt wrong.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 3rd, 2019, 3:37 pm

Queta will do/should do/ what's best for him. Our excellent recruiting and teaching/coaching staff must do what is best for Utah State Basketball. Excrete in one hand and hope in the other...how often have we heard that unvarnished comment in the travails of life? Time to look ahead, not back folks.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 3rd, 2019, 4:56 pm

My guess is that some of these so called expert writers who project Queta to go first round have never seen him play live, and probably not much on TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 6th, 2019, 9:04 am

He shouldn't be a first round pick because he's too raw? Michael Olowokandi was picked no. 1 overall.

I think that should teach you all you need to know about the nba draft.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » May 6th, 2019, 9:14 am

Gonna be a lot of crow eating in a few months......
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
donlarson8

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » May 6th, 2019, 9:26 am

ratofallaggies wrote:Gonna be a lot of crow eating in a few months......
Nah. They will all double down and hope for him to fail so they can say I told you so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
ratofallaggies

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2019, 9:28 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:14 am
Not sure what you’re saying here...
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
IdaAg93

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » May 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:28 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
Queta has the same intangibles as Clint Capela who signed a $90M extension this last season (I actually think NQ has more athletic potential than Capela). I'll be surprised if he doesn't go in the first round, but even if he doesn't he will have a successful career in the NBA. The way professional sports are set up now, there's really not much reason for Queta to come back. He'll do great in the NBA and I look forward to watching him progress as a professional.

bpd

Post by bpd » May 6th, 2019, 10:06 am

The real question who plays center for us next year?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 6th, 2019, 10:15 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:Gonna be a lot of crow eating in a few months......
Nah. They will all double down and hope for him to fail so they can say I told you so.

Good call. I’ve seen a ton of people on here hoping Dax and Darwin fail so they can be right too.

Oh wait.......

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » May 6th, 2019, 10:52 am

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/05/nba-mo ... ator-odds/

I would not be surprised to see Queta picked mid second round. This projection that came out a day or so ago has him picked No. 46 to the Orlando Magic. I would be very surprised to see him picked 1st round. At best, he will be early 2nd in my eyes.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2019, 11:55 am

bpd wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 10:06 am
That question is on hold until Neemias makes up his mind about staying or going.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111

ususports

Post by ususports » May 6th, 2019, 12:48 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 11:55 am
bpd wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 10:06 am
That question is on hold until Neemias makes up his mind about staying or going.
Well this can't be true. That would mean our coaches don't know what Queta is going to do, and it has been made clear that anyone who thinks he is not a first round draft pick is a moron, who doesn't know crap. Sounds like our coaching staff is full of idiots that have no clue how to evaluate talent. :sarcasm:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 10:52 am

I would not be surprised to see Queta picked mid second round. This projection that came out a day or so ago has him picked No. 46 to the Orlando Magic. I would be very surprised to see him picked 1st round. At best, he will be early 2nd in my eyes.
That seems about right to me. That would land Queta an "automatic" invite to summer leagues and probably a stipend to prove himself. If he makes it on the team by the time the season rolls around he'd be signed at probably the NBA minimum salary ($840K for rookies). Usually this is a 1-3 year deal with a team option involved. All depends on how confident they are in him. Nice chunk of change, but nothing compared to the GUARANTEED multi-year deals for first rounders coming in at $5M for the 30th pick to $23M for the #1 pick. If you get in that top 30, you're getting paid regardless for 3 years.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0ChicAggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 6th, 2019, 2:15 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 10:52 am

That seems about right to me. That would land Queta an "automatic" invite to summer leagues and probably a stipend to prove himself. If he makes it on the team by the time the season rolls around he'd be signed at probably the NBA minimum salary ($840K for rookies). Usually this is a 1-3 year deal with a team option involved. All depends on how confident they are in him. Nice chunk of change, but nothing compared to the GUARANTEED multi-year deals for first rounders coming in at $5M for the 30th pick to $23M for the #1 pick. If you get in that top 30, you're getting paid regardless for 3 years.
Agreed. Gotta get that first round money, otherwise, stick around another year and work your way up there. Seems like a no-brainer financially. But it sounds like he has the potential to go somewhere in the first round.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2019, 4:13 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:54 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 9:28 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
Queta has the same intangibles as Clint Capela who signed a $90M extension this last season (I actually think NQ has more athletic potential than Capela). I'll be surprised if he doesn't go in the first round, but even if he doesn't he will have a successful career in the NBA. The way professional sports are set up now, there's really not much reason for Queta to come back. He'll do great in the NBA and I look forward to watching him progress as a professional.
I don’t at all fault Queta for leaving and hope he goes first round, but I would be very surprised if Queta ended up as good as Capela. Just on eye test alone, Capela is stronger and moves more fluidly. As a result, I don’t think Queta is as “switchable” as Capela.

I would absolutely love to be wrong, as we desperately need an Aggie as an NBA star. The crow would be delicious to me, but it’s going to take a lot longer than a few months to know the outcome of this.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 6th, 2019, 8:18 pm

I would never root for him to fail so that I could say "I told you so." I genuinely hope he succeeds, but to my eye, he is not ready, and will not likely be drafted I. The first round. Whether he should stay in school or not is up for debate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 6th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Queta is still not even listed in the top 100 on ESPN or NBADraft.net. Sports Illustrated loves him and is hyping him up pretty good though. Interesting to see the discrepancies between the sites.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » May 6th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Sports Illustrated scouted and brought us Manon Von Gerkan in the mid 1990's. I will trust its judgment over all else.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 6th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Not on CBS top 100. He will get drafted just like Dax Raymond did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » May 7th, 2019, 6:49 am

sockpuppet wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 10:16 pm
Sports Illustrated scouted and brought us Manon Von Gerkan in the mid 1990's. I will trust its judgment over all else.
Stop jerkin' my Gerkan.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » May 7th, 2019, 7:45 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 4:13 pm
I don’t at all fault Queta for leaving and hope he goes first round, but I would be very surprised if Queta ended up as good as Capela. Just on eye test alone, Capela is stronger and moves more fluidly. As a result, I don’t think Queta is as “switchable” as Capela.

I would absolutely love to be wrong, as we desperately need an Aggie as an NBA star. The crow would be delicious to me, but it’s going to take a lot longer than a few months to know the outcome of this.
Queta could be as strong or stronger than Capela with an NBA training regiment. He's already much stronger than he looks. But Capela does move much more fluidly and, especially, is a much better leaper. Kevin O'Connor's best-case comparison of Steven Adams seems pretty accurate to me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic