Nebraska’s Heiman in the portal

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Nebraska’s Heiman in the portal

Post by bluegrouse » May 3rd, 2019, 12:05 am

Apparently we’ve made some contact with him...

His stats don’t exactly jump off the page. I’m assuming Smith has had a good briefing on him from the previous Nebraska staff (Tim Miles)?
Last edited by bluegrouse on May 3rd, 2019, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MalAgua

Re: Nebraska’s Heiman in the portal

Post by MalAgua » May 3rd, 2019, 2:10 am

Whoa, I read that topic and my mind went COMPLETELY the wrong direction.

Can someone help me with the pronunciation please?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 3rd, 2019, 6:25 am

For those worried about his stats, remember that this was his first time. He’ll get better with more experience.

:thumbsup:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am

We need a big who can come in and start right away. We also need a guard who can come in and be a playmaker right away. Not sure we can afford to give up scholarships on guys who will sit out the year.

bpd

Post by bpd » May 3rd, 2019, 7:14 am

Recruiting has been interesting this spring. It appears we have had a lot of swing and misses. The latest was David Skogland who committed to Buffalo yesterday and Isaac Bonton who committed to Washington State yesterday. It seems like the coaches have been upping their social media game as well, I wonder if that has to do with lack of recruiting. Hipster is right, we need a starting center and 2nd scorer. We can't put more pressure on Sam. We also need an athletic PG. Time seems to be against us though.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 3rd, 2019, 7:21 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:We need a big who can come in and start right away. We also need a guard who can come in and be a playmaker right away. Not sure we can afford to give up scholarships on guys who will sit out the year.
Perhaps the NCAA will not make him sit out a year as Hoiberg asked him to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 3rd, 2019, 7:35 am

29% FT shooter. 1.8 ppg. :shock:

I’d rather see if Fakira develops. By a country mile.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 3rd, 2019, 8:11 am

I am not going to lie, I am getting little nervous that we have not been able to land 1-2 more players this spring although I cannot remember exactly how many scholarships we have left. I trust Smith, he did a fantastic job last year. In terms of recruiting Queta was obviously a huge get, but the rest of his recruits flamed out.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am

Are we just finding people that couldn't cut it in a P5 conference and then assuming they would be great here? Sure worked out amazing with Brayden Bell. (There is a name you probably haven't heard in a few years)

I'm not saying he is a bad prospect. He was only a freshman and was receiving decent minutes (for a freshman) in a good number of games. Based on numbers alone, he clearly looks like he is better than Bell- and the comparison is only that P5 transfer shouldn't be considered a win solely because it's a P5 transfer.

Plus there is a lot more to the quality of a ball player besides actual stats.

But as someone who only followed USU basketball- what if anything is there to be excited about?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 3rd, 2019, 8:31 am

After watching his high school highlights I think the kid has a decent upside. He is mobile, moves well, and can run the floor well. He’s definitely not a 6’11” stiff. He can play with his back to the basket with some nice post moves and also has good form on his outside shot. His level of competition in HS wasn’t great so I’m sure it was a big adjustment to Big10 basketball. Give him a redshirt year and I bet he’d be ready to contribute in a year or two. Heiman, McChesney, and Bairstow would be great Building blocks for a future front line.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am

bpd wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 7:14 am
Recruiting has been interesting this spring. It appears we have had a lot of swing and misses. The latest was David Skogland who committed to Buffalo yesterday and Isaac Bonton who committed to Washington State yesterday. It seems like the coaches have been upping their social media game as well, I wonder if that has to do with lack of recruiting. Hipster is right, we need a starting center and 2nd scorer. We can't put more pressure on Sam. We also need an athletic PG. Time seems to be against us though.
We did NOT swing and miss on David Skogman. We PASSED on David Skogman. The swing and miss would have been if we had signed him.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 3rd, 2019, 8:54 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 8:25 am
Are we just finding people that couldn't cut it in a P5 conference and then assuming they would be great here? Sure worked out amazing with Brayden Bell. (There is a name you probably haven't heard in a few years)

I'm not saying he is a bad prospect. He was only a freshman and was receiving decent minutes (for a freshman) in a good number of games. Based on numbers alone, he clearly looks like he is better than Bell- and the comparison is only that P5 transfer shouldn't be considered a win solely because it's a P5 transfer.

Plus there is a lot more to the quality of a ball player besides actual stats.

But as someone who only followed USU basketball- what if anything is there to be excited about?
I can assure you this coaching staff is VERY picky when it comes to who they offer their scholarships to. True last year it seems like there was some roster filler with our signings but now that the coaching staff is established they can be much more selective.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Imakeitrain

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am

We don't 100% know if Queta will be back or not. I'm sure a ton of these decisions are basically hinging on that. Whether or not we need to bring in a big man and I'll be there's some talented guards out there who want to know if he'll be back before they were to commit.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
oleblu111

bpd

Post by bpd » May 3rd, 2019, 10:14 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am
bpd wrote:
We did NOT swing and miss on David Skogman. We PASSED on David Skogman. The swing and miss would have been if we had signed him.
I don't know if this is true or not, but puzzling if we did. We really have no center on the roster and Skogman was fairly highly recruited.

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » May 3rd, 2019, 10:15 am

bpd wrote:
I haven't seen anything about USU offering, or even being interested in, Isaac Bonton from Casper JC.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am

bpd wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 10:14 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 8:45 am
bpd wrote:
I don't know if this is true or not, but puzzling if we did. We really have no center on the roster and Skogman was fairly highly recruited.
I can assure you that it's true. Last summer during an AAU tournament, Skogman had a cardiac episode similar to what Danny Berger went through. They had to revive him on the floor during a game. Skogman has only been cleared to resume basketball activity for the last month or so and he has not yet back to where he was prior to being medically disqualified. The last thing we need to do is sign a project.

bpd

Post by bpd » May 3rd, 2019, 10:29 am

Then why even waste time on an in home visit?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am

bpd wrote:Then why even waste time on an in home visit?
Sometimes you don’t know that you don’t want a guy until after you do your due diligence, which could include an in home visit.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Sometimes you don’t know that you don’t want a guy until after you do your due diligence, which could include an in home visit.
Sure, but his health condition was already known. That’s the whole point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ususports

Post by ususports » May 3rd, 2019, 12:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 11:21 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
Sure, but his health condition was already known. That’s the whole point.
Good point, due diligence should always be done from home. That is what successful people do.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

Home visit mid last week and then they watched him in kc last week. Ive read up some on that event in kc last week and no one mentions as skogman as someone that stood out. So apparently our coaches weren’t the only ones unimpressed.

Btw the coaching staff also was in kc to watch mady Sissoko.

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » May 3rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm
Home visit mid last week and then they watched him in kc last week. Ive read up some on that event in kc last week and no one mentions as skogman as someone that stood out. So apparently our coaches weren’t the only ones unimpressed.

Sissoko's an impressive post player. It'd be quite the accomplishment if Smith could convince him to come to USU.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 3rd, 2019, 2:29 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:09 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

Sissoko's an impressive post player. It'd be quite the accomplishment if Smith could convince him to come to USU.
As it should come as no surprise but he also had quite a few coaches there watching him.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am
We don't 100% know if Queta will be back or not. I'm sure a ton of these decisions are basically hinging on that. Whether or not we need to bring in a big man and I'll be there's some talented guards out there who want to know if he'll be back before they were to commit.
If our entire recruiting is dependent on one player returning- it’s time to call last season what it was a nice ride.

On the flip side, if last season was real and Craig Smith had a lot to do with it buckle up.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 3rd, 2019, 3:33 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am
If our entire recruiting is dependent on one player returning- it’s time to call last season what it was a nice ride.

On the flip side, if last season was real and Craig Smith had a lot to do with it buckle up.
Agreed!!!!!!! It's time, or is it past time??? Grab another big man and this staff can likely make that jump. LOYALTY HAS TO TURN BOTH WAYS, and it appears to me we are just waiting (groveling?) to hear the good news about Queta deciding to stay in school. He will do what is in his best interest with the information at hand, just as our staff must do what is best for Utah State basketball. I believe this is an excellent recruiting and teaching staff we now have the pleasure to watch work at USU.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

We should trust the staff. They killed it this year and have the #1 class in the Mountain West.

That said, it’s bizarre we aren’t recruiting a PG that can penetrate. We’ve lost three guys that played time at the point in the last few months (JK3, TK, and Ainge) and don’t appear to be adding even one PG this offseason.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » May 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

That said, it’s bizarre we aren’t recruiting a PG that can penetrate.
Yeah, and if we end up with Heiman, you can bet he will face lots of competition trying to penetrate him.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 3rd, 2019, 7:50 pm

MalAgua wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

That said, it’s bizarre we aren’t recruiting a PG that can penetrate.
Yeah, and if we end up with Heiman, you can bet he will face lots of competition trying to penetrate him.
:golfclap:

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 6th, 2019, 9:22 pm

29% from the foul line. Guess he spent his HS summers as a brick mason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 6th, 2019, 11:14 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am
We need a big who can come in and start right away. We also need a guard who can come in and be a playmaker right away. Not sure we can afford to give up scholarships on guys who will sit out the year.
Can we afford to sell tomorrow for right now?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 7th, 2019, 5:04 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 11:14 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:33 am
Can we afford to sell tomorrow for right now?
I would agree with this sentiment for a known commodity but Heiman seems far from sure thing but maybe he’s just not broken in yet.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 7th, 2019, 6:45 am

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Oops, it is Tuesday.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 7th, 2019, 11:44 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 6:45 am

Oops, it is Tuesday.
Yeah, it's Tuesday. Why are you talking about hamburgers? You should be focused on tacos.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 7th, 2019, 1:12 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 11:44 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 6:45 am

Oops, it is Tuesday.
Yeah, it's Tuesday. Why are you talking about hamburgers? You should be focused on tacos.
Cultural appropriator.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic