2019 TV Schedule Announced

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

2019 TV Schedule Announced

Post by ProvoAggie » May 2nd, 2019, 1:10 pm

CBS Sports
@SDSU - September 21 @ 8:30 pm
CSU - September 28 @ 5:30 pm
@Fresno - November 9 @ 5:00 pm
Boise - November 23 @ 8:30 pm

ESPN Networks (Times and Channel TBA)
Nevada - October 19
@AFA - October 26
BYU-Provo - November 2
Wyoming - November 16

https://www.usufans.com/Schedule/Football

Aggie84025

Re: 2019 TV Schedule Announced

Post by Aggie84025 » May 2nd, 2019, 1:19 pm

11/23 against BSU @ 8:30 could be really cold. The 5:30 against CSU is a fantastic start time. I would guess the BYU at home will be an 8:15 start as well. I am guessing the SB game will be at 6:00 pm on Facebook. Hoping the Nevada and Wyoming games are on the lesser ESPN networks and be after noon games (obviously for own selfish as I love afternoon games). I was expecting this based on the great season we had last year. For sure be great exposure again.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 2nd, 2019, 1:21 pm

I'll say it. The 8:30PM start time at the end of November against Boise SUCKS. Let them complain about attendance. They dig their own grave.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 2nd, 2019, 1:25 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:21 pm
I'll say it. The 8:30PM start time at the end of November against Boise SUCKS. Let them complain about attendance. They dig their own grave.
The start time is controlled by ESPN, USU has no control over that.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
IdaAg93

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:25 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Comment was in regards to those who sold the TV rights.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I do not like the start time either, but when you need revenue and exposure like USU and most of the MWC do that is the price you pay.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » May 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I do not like the start time either, but when you need revenue and exposure like USU and most of the MWC do that is the price you pay.
If we are playing a meaningful game against BSU, it will be a sell out regardless of the start time. How many of those will be BSU fans is another story.
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
IdaAg93

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 2nd, 2019, 2:08 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
If we are playing a meaningful game against BSU, it will be a sell out regardless of the start time. How many of those will be BSU fans is another story.
I'll take that bet.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 2nd, 2019, 2:24 pm

It's okay. I bought some good thermals.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 2nd, 2019, 2:27 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
We had zero late start home games later than September last year, and we had the worst attendance in years. We also had the best team we have had in years, so that excuse doesn't work either.

The game time / cold excuse is just that. An excuse. Fans don't show up for early games either, and in fact, it appears that less fans show up for the early games. Not sure why. It could be that families have other sports/family commitments in the afternoons. Who knows.

I'm very happy for the national exposure we will have this year. I have no problem bundling up and grabbing some hand and foot warmers for winter games in the Mav.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
AggieBluesoleblu111ChicAggiebigblueAgsman

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » May 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

I bet attendance is better the year after a good year. Word seems to travel slow when it comes to athletics. Don’t forget that people will be excited with Gary being back, although I don’t know how much difference that will make, if any

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 2nd, 2019, 3:02 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 2:27 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
We had zero late start home games later than September last year, and we had the worst attendance in years. We also had the best team we have had in years, so that excuse doesn't work either.

The game time / cold excuse is just that. An excuse. Fans don't show up for early games either, and in fact, it appears that less fans show up for the early games. Not sure why. It could be that families have other sports/family commitments in the afternoons. Who knows.

I'm very happy for the national exposure we will have this year. I have no problem bundling up and grabbing some hand and foot warmers for winter games in the Mav.
I can't explain last year's attendance issues, but I do know that my kids and aging parents won't be to the Boise State game this year because of the start time.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 2nd, 2019, 3:13 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 3:02 pm
treesap32 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

I can't explain last year's attendance issues, but I do know that my kids and aging parents won't be to the Boise State game this year because of the start time.
Some of my kids and my aging parents will he there. All about priorities I guess.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 2nd, 2019, 3:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Amen to all that, my Aggie brother!

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 2nd, 2019, 5:37 pm

Ok I'll admit it. I love the BSU start time. I love the cold late games anyways. It's going to be a blast!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 2nd, 2019, 7:14 pm

Enjoy and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 2nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Just how much exposure can an 8:30 game bring when it’ll finish in the AM hours for 70% of the country?

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 2nd, 2019, 7:44 pm

treesap32 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

The way I see it is attendence is down for most sports. Hell, I just read about the MLB blaming the weather this spring for a large drop in attendance. It's obvious there there is a culture shift away from sports in general. I could go on and on why I feel the reasons are for that is but to keep this post short I will not. The point is, in this day and age, the national exposure will be better for the program than start times IMO. First and foremost, it helps recruiting athletes. When recruits are able to see the name and the brand on the TV, they will think twice when our coaches contact them. Winning those games when eyes that don't normally watch USU games pays huge dividends in the long run. Second, I feel like even if attendance ain't up for national TV games the crowd does bring it a little extra hard for those games. The hurd gets a little more crazy. Third, some the players seem to prepare more for those games. Especially the ones with NFL aspirations. Fourth, allows more of our spread out alumni to be able to see the games. Most are not die hard fans like us. But the more opportunities they have to actually watch a game will lead them to come to a game more often. This is especially important for the away games.

Sure the late start times deters some fans, but the loss from those fans is much smaller than the loss of national exposure. Because of this, I am all in on national TV games no matter when they start.

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
JSHarvey

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 2nd, 2019, 8:23 pm

bigblue wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 7:44 pm
treesap32 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

The way I see it is attendence is down for most sports. Hell, I just read about the MLB blaming the weather this spring for a large drop in attendance. It's obvious there there is a culture shift away from sports in general. I could go on and on why I feel the reasons are for that is but to keep this post short I will not. The point is, in this day and age, the national exposure will be better for the program than start times IMO. First and foremost, it helps recruiting athletes. When recruits are able to see the name and the brand on the TV, they will think twice when our coaches contact them. Winning those games when eyes that don't normally watch USU games pays huge dividends in the long run. Second, I feel like even if attendance ain't up for national TV games the crowd does bring it a little extra hard for those games. The hurd gets a little more crazy. Third, some the players seem to prepare more for those games. Especially the ones with NFL aspirations. Fourth, allows more of our spread out alumni to be able to see the games. Most are not die hard fans like us. But the more opportunities they have to actually watch a game will lead them to come to a game more often. This is especially important for the away games.

Sure the late start times deters some fans, but the loss from those fans is much smaller than the loss of national exposure. Because of this, I am all in on national TV games no matter when they start.

All these damn Millennials. They ruin everything. Except avocado toast.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Aglicious

Full

Post by Full » May 2nd, 2019, 8:55 pm

treesap32 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

My guess is attendance is driven early season ticket renewals. The last couple years I had a lot of options at seat selection. This year the selection was very limited (just like 2014 & 2015. I expect good attendance. Same thing with basketball. I had a ton of great seats available to choose from and attendance was low for the entire season. When people have a bunch of fall games on their schedule in April it’s easy to plan other things outside the six weeks we play in Logan. Just my thought.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 2nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

I actually prefer the late games, as long as they are on Saturday. I have a lot of daytime conflicts on Saturdays in the fall, but my evenings are generally open.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 2nd, 2019, 10:12 pm

It isn’t the time of day for me that is an issue, it is the time of year. I am not freezing my derrière off in late November for a night game. The wind in the stadium just cuts thru and takes away all the fun of the game. Too old for that anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 3rd, 2019, 6:54 am

How about this: all the real fans will be there to see us win the division regardless of weather and time of day, while all the fake fans that contribute to the culture that holds us back will stay at home.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
oleblu111BleedAggieBlue0donlarson8

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:35 am

I will be there with all my kids to all the games no matter the time or weather.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » May 3rd, 2019, 11:38 am

Last season, we played Boise State at the end of November, in Boise at 8:15pm MST.
I was there with my 6 month pregnant wife, and aging mother.
Real fans support. Priorities.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 3rd, 2019, 11:51 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 11:38 am
Last season, we played Boise State at the end of November, in Boise at 8:15pm MST.
I was there with my 6 month pregnant wife, and aging mother.
Real fans support. Priorities.
The Boise game last season was within 400 of selling out, that's one of the main problems with USU football.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » May 3rd, 2019, 12:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 6:54 am
How about this: all the real fans will be there to see us win the division regardless of weather and time of day, while all the fake fans that contribute to the culture that holds us back will stay at home.
BUT BUT BUT Hunting Season, UEA Weekend, unreasonably priced $20 tickets, High school games!
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
oleblu111

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 3rd, 2019, 12:14 pm

:roll: Attacking warm weather fans does not grow a fan base.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 3rd, 2019, 12:22 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 12:14 pm
Complaining about start times does not grow a fan base. I wish the game had a 1:00 kickoff, but it does not, and there are reasons why.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 3rd, 2019, 12:37 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 12:22 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Complaining about start times does not grow a fan base. I wish the game had a 1:00 kickoff, but it does not, and there are reasons why.
I disagree. Having games in the afternoons will grow a fan base. Next time our TV contracts are up, I would hope the powers that be will recognize disgruntled fans and find a network that will broadcast games at better times. If people at the national level want to watch our games they'll find them regardless of what channel they are on. If they aren't interested, it doesn't matter if we're on ABC. When was the last time any of us watched a MAC game on ESPN?

Any assumptions about my personal attendance at these games is misguided. I will be there. Always have been. I'm still upset about the game time. A packed Maverik stadium is a better product. An empty stadium devalues fan experience. A lower fan experience will only help our continued declining attendance. It's not rocket science.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 3rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 12:37 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I disagree. Having games in the afternoons will grow a fan base. Next time our TV contracts are up, I would hope the powers that be will recognize disgruntled fans and find a network that will broadcast games at better times. If people at the national level want to watch our games they'll find them regardless of what channel they are on. If they aren't interested, it doesn't matter if we're on ABC. When was the last time any of us watched a MAC game on ESPN?

Any assumptions about my personal attendance at these games is misguided. I will be there. Always have been. I'm still upset about the game time. A packed Maverik stadium is a better product. An empty stadium devalues fan experience. A lower fan experience will only help our continued declining attendance. It's not rocket science.
The T,V, contract is up soon they are looking at Facebook as a way to control start times, if that happens we will get very little income from them.

USU has in IMHO never had good fan support, regardless of start times or having winning football.

The revenue from T.V. is more than the entire tickets sales for football, which is sad.

If the conference goes with a new contract which has some tough start times we could get $3.5 million per year which is a lot more than what USU fans have ever paid for tickets to all sports.

The value to USU of having 8 games on national T.V. is huge.

USU fans get a lot of entertainment for very little money, and frankly it gets old hearing all the whining about everything. I'm not talking about you cause you will be there, but the fan base as a whole just sucks. If that is offensive sorry, but the truth often hurts. The worse thing about USU for me is the fan base.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

I completely disagree. I now longer believe the start time has an impact based on last year when we had a great team, great start times, and crappy attendance.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
donlarson8

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 3rd, 2019, 2:55 pm

GeoAg wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

I completely disagree. I now longer believe the start time has an impact based on last year when we had a great team, great start times, and crappy attendance.

Fair point. But how many season ticket holders did we lose because of all the post-8:00 start times the year before?
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
oleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 3rd, 2019, 3:03 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:55 pm
GeoAg wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 2:54 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Fair point. But how many season ticket holders did we lose because of all the post-8:00 start times the year before?
Ticket revenue has remained about the same since 2012 if memory serves.

Full

Post by Full » May 3rd, 2019, 3:44 pm

oleblu111 wrote: Ticket revenue has remained about the same since 2012 if memory serves.
I bet football seating “donations” have increased. My guess would be that that part has almost doubled. I’m not sure how that is offset by decking basketball attendance.

Locked Previous topicNext topic