Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tetonaggie

Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

Post by tetonaggie » May 9th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference - for your reading pleasure...Flame Away! We're ranked 9th only ahead of Air Force and SJSU using metrics from 9 categories:
  • Tradition (4th) – The history of the program
  • Media Exposure (9th) – Games on national television
  • Game Atmosphere (5th) – Includes attendance
  • Facilities (6th) – Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc.
  • Selling Pros (9th) – Being able to sell not only NBA players, but also those who play overseas
  • Admission Requirements – Ranked from easiest to get into to most difficult
  • Budget/Resources (8th) – Includes coaches’ salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, private planes, cost of attendance, etc.
  • Buy Games (10th) – Programs who are bought the fewest number of times will rank first
  • Geographical Recruiting Base (10th) – Proximity to players
https://watchstadium.com/news/mountain- ... 5-08-2019/
These users thanked the author tetonaggie for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

Post by aggies22 » May 9th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Interesting find.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » May 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm

9. Utah State (34) – People forget how Stew Morrill had the Aggies rolling during his tenure — Utah State played in the NCAA Tournament eight times in a 12-year span from 2000 to 2011. Another dominant stretch could be right around the corner, as Craig Smith led the Aggies to the tourney this past season – his first at the helm. Utah State’s recruiting base is one of the worst in the league, but it has a committed student section and also can sell its history.

Where they win: “The student section is ridiculously good, the best in the league, and the program is supported at every level – administratively, financially and with the campus and community.” – Mountain West assistant coach

The knock: “It’s the third-best job in the state, and out-of-state recruiting is hard. No social life, and weather isn’t great.”

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 9th, 2019, 4:09 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:01 pm
9. Utah State (34) – People forget how Stew Morrill had the Aggies rolling during his tenure — Utah State played in the NCAA Tournament eight times in a 12-year span from 2000 to 2011. Another dominant stretch could be right around the corner, as Craig Smith led the Aggies to the tourney this past season – his first at the helm. Utah State’s recruiting base is one of the worst in the league, but it has a committed student section and also can sell its history.

Where they win: “The student section is ridiculously good, the best in the league, and the program is supported at every level – administratively, financially and with the campus and community.” – Mountain West assistant coach

The knock: “It’s the third-best job in the state, and out-of-state recruiting is hard. No social life, and weather isn’t great.”
What do you mean no social life? Are you telling me college kids don't want to spend their weekends at The Fun Park??

Full

Post by Full » May 9th, 2019, 4:38 pm

I think this means the coaches don’t get a social life. Basically, if I was selling this to a D1 basketball player all I would have to say is if you want to live and breathe basketball USU is for you. Other places have better distractions, it’s true. Also, I hope Queta will finally give us some NBA exposure.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 9th, 2019, 5:23 pm

tetonaggie wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Mountain West Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference - for your reading pleasure...Flame Away! We're ranked 9th only ahead of Air Force and SJSU using metrics from 9 categories:
  • Tradition (4th) – The history of the program
  • Media Exposure (9th) – Games on national television
  • Game Atmosphere (5th) – Includes attendance
  • Facilities (6th) – Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc.
  • Selling Pros (9th) – Being able to sell not only NBA players, but also those who play overseas
  • Admission Requirements – Ranked from easiest to get into to most difficult
  • Budget/Resources (8th) – Includes coaches’ salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, private planes, cost of attendance, etc.
  • Buy Games (10th) – Programs who are bought the fewest number of times will rank first
  • Geographical Recruiting Base (10th) – Proximity to players
https://watchstadium.com/news/mountain- ... 5-08-2019/
Cool.

Here’s where we’re number 1 right now: (1) conference champions; (2) conference tourney champions; and (3) highest ranked recruiting class in the conference.

Don’t care about the rest.0
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieTrueBlue

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 9th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Some of these are hilarious....games on national TV? There is very little difference between any of the MWC teams and games on national TV. Game atmosphere is 5th best? yet somehow USU has the largest and best student section? There is NO WAY Lawlor or T&M are ranked above the Spectrum for atmosphere unless they are dinging it a few spots for the general lack of concessions or any other retail space for that matter.

Even the best mark USU received for history/tradition is suspect. Obviously UNLV is #1 in this category but USU has more NCAA Tourney appearances than any other MWC school. SDSU has a single era with any bit of success, hardly a model of tradition or history.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 9th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Full wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 4:38 pm
I think this means the coaches don’t get a social life. Basically, if I was selling this to a D1 basketball player all I would have to say is if you want to live and breathe basketball USU is for you. Other places have better distractions, it’s true. Also, I hope Queta will finally give us some NBA exposure.
I'm not sure how to take this. If this means "there aren't a lot of bars in Logan", then yes, I guess a coach wouldn't have a social life. If this means "there isn't anything to do in Logan", then you're lazy, stupid, or a knuckle dragging mouth breather. As I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on retirement and either moving back to Logan (my choice), or splitting my time between Logan and Salem (the very fetching Mrs. LKGates's preference), one of the things I'm looking forward to the most is how much there is to do in Logan. Because of the university, there is a concert, play, exhibit opening, lecture, or athletic event every day of the week. Many times, the biggest problem is prioritizing which event to attend. Then, throw in skiing the Beav, fly fishing the Logan River, golf, hiking Logan Canyon, hunting, camping, and Bear Lake, and there aren't enough hours in the day or days in the year to do it all.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
Aggie_in_IdahoUSU78sneed

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 9th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I do not agree with the story, we are ahead of AFA, SJS, CSU, Wyoming with BSU being a toss up as far as best basketball jobs in the conference goes.

I believe the lack of social life is something I can see, there is not a lot outside of USU. If they are talking about players there is a lot of activities with a resident campus like USU. If they meant for coach's that can be true, not a lot of exciting night life in Logan, compared to many MWC cities it is as dead as a door nail.

GUS

Post by GUS » May 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Yea, but you can drive a razor to work. That's got to count for something.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
oleblu111Full

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 10th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, perception is reality to some extent.

I'm going to take these results in a slightly different direction. Assuming the average recruit holds the same perceptions exhibited in the responses to this survey, I'm sure it's an uphill battle to get recruits to Logan. That is a point StanfordAg drove home time and time again, and it's a point I tended to agree with (albeit with a little less fervor than SA). As much as we on this forum all love Logan and USU, the typical non-Utah, non-Mormon recruit will have to be persuaded of its virtues. On the flip side, I assume very little persuasion is required to convince a recruit of the virtues of living in San Diego for four years.

If I had to guess, I would bet the average non-Utah, non-Mormon college recruit would rank the locations of each member of the MWC in roughly the following order of desirability (or some variation with the top half and the bottom half nearly always being top half and bottom half):

San Diego
Las Vegas
San Jose
Colorado Springs
Fort Collins
Albuquerque
Reno
Fresno
Logan
Boise
Laramie

I wouldn't agree with that ranking, but I do think many non-Mormons without any prior exposure to Logan will assume that Logan/USU will be full of Mormons who hold strange beliefs, have very little fun in college, and would regularly attempt to proselytize the non-Mormons.
Last edited by ChicAggie on May 11th, 2019, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
oleblu111crazywookie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2019, 3:55 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:47 pm
Unfortunately, perception is reality to some extent.

I'm going to take these results in a slightly different direction. Assuming the average recruit holds the same perceptions exhibited in the responses to this survey, I'm sure it's an uphill battle to get recruits to Logan. That is a point StanfordAg drove home time and time again, and it's a point I tended to agree with (albeit with a little less fervor than SA). As much as we on this forum all love Logan and USU, the typical non-Utah, non-Mormon recruit will have to be persuaded of its virtues. On the flip side, I assume very little persuasion is required to convince a recruit of the virtues of living in San Diego for four years.

If I had to guess, I would bet the average non-Utah, non-Mormon college recruit would rank the locations of each member of the MWC in roughly the following order of desirability (or some variation with the top half and the bottom half nearly always being top half and bottom half):

San Diego
Las Vegas
San Jose
Colorado Springs
Fort Collins
Albuquerque
Reno
Fresno
Logan
Boise

I wouldn't agree with that ranking, but I do think many non-Mormons without any prior exposure to Logan will assume that Logan/USU will be full of Mormons who hold strange beliefs, have very little fun in college, and would regularly attempt to proselytize the non-Mormons.
I would think in terms of fun cities for college recruits that are non Mormon, Logan would only be ahead of Laramie. Boise can be a fun place.

As a safe place to get a decent education USU would rank much higher than several of those schools in fun cities.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
ChicAggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

And a savvy recruiter may sell mom and dad, and even some extended family on the comparatively sedate and reasonably safe Logan Utah life style. Just reading the local papers or watching local T V there are enough shootings, drive by and personal, plus violent events to fill up the itinerary of any college age student. There are many places to go and party privately, and frankly, evaluating an education by how high or wasted I could get isn't going to serve me well toward my degree.

There are many places to go in the area for entertainment of much width. If someone just wants to party and get stoned on the weekends that should also be available, but to say that's an enhancement for a viable higher education I would be very skeptical.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 11th, 2019, 12:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 3:55 pm
I would think in terms of fun cities for college recruits that are non Mormon, Logan would only be ahead of Laramie. Boise can be a fun place.

As a safe place to get a decent education USU would rank much higher than several of those schools in fun cities.
I'm sure you're right on both counts.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 11th, 2019, 12:16 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm
And a savvy recruiter may sell mom and dad, and even some extended family on the comparatively sedate and reasonably safe Logan Utah life style. Just reading the local papers or watching local T V there are enough shootings, drive by and personal, plus violent events to fill up the itinerary of any college age student. There are many places to go and party privately, and frankly, evaluating an education by how high or wasted I could get isn't going to serve me well toward my degree.

There are many places to go in the area for entertainment of much width. If someone just wants to party and get stoned on the weekends that should also be available, but to say that's an enhancement for a viable higher education I would be very skeptical.
I don't disagree that a savvy recruiter may sell family on the merits of Logan. But that assumes a couple of things. 1. Logan needs some selling. A few other MWC locales do not need so much. 2. The family's opinion matters. I'm not sure how much that is true based on my own experience and the experience of several of my friends with kids in college. I have two kids currently in college. Neither of them partied in HS, but both of them were interested in schools where they would have some amount of fun. My eldest chose a school known to have both great academics and a balanced social life (typically ranks at the top of the "happiest" students lists). I didn't really tried to dissuade her because I was happy with her choice, but I did actually try to BRIBE my middle child to go to Illinois (because it would have been a lot cheaper for me and their undergraduate engineering program ranks around 5th or 6th in the country - the same ranking as the school she chose where tuition is roughly twice as much). I wish I had more influence over my kids' choices, but I just don't.

I also don't mean to suggest that "fun" equates with "partying" and "getting stoned." Nor has anyone suggested that partying and getting stoned is an "enhancement for a viable higher education." I just think students want to have some amount of fun in college, and the typical non-Mormon, non-Utah student might need to be sold on how much "fun" they would have in Logan, Utah.

Locked Previous topicNext topic