New MWC Media Deal

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
calaggie

New MWC Media Deal

Post by calaggie » May 10th, 2019, 11:16 am

I went to the road show in Pasadena Wednesday, and asked Hartwell about projections for the MWC’s new media deal. A couple of things were a bit of a surprise:
1. I had always assumed Boise’s sweetheart deal had an expiration date — like at the expiration of the current media deal. It doesn’t. It continues in perpetuity.
2. When I asked if per school revenue would increase, he was hopeful, but didn’t seem very convinced.
3. He implied that part of the new deal may include games on tuesdays and Wednesdays — like the MAC. He clearly wasn’t happy about it, but didn’t say it was unacceptable.
After the deal the AAC just signed, this was pretty disappointing.

aceofspadeskb

Re: New MWC Media Deal

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 10th, 2019, 11:24 am

calaggie wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:16 am
I went to the road show in Pasadena Wednesday, and asked Hartwell about projections for the MWC’s new media deal. A couple of things were a bit of a surprise:
1. I had always assumed Boise’s sweetheart deal had an expiration date — like at the expiration of the current media deal. It doesn’t. It continues in perpetuity.
2. When I asked if per school revenue would increase, he was hopeful, but didn’t seem very convinced.
3. He implied that part of the new deal may include games on tuesdays and Wednesdays — like the MAC. He clearly wasn’t happy about it, but didn’t say it was unacceptable.
If that's the case, then the MW needs new leadership.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
ChicAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2019, 11:26 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
calaggie wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 11:16 am
If that's the case, then the MW needs new leadership.
i had thought that even if the MWC T.V. was on the same platforms, we should get at least 5 million given the AAC got 6.9 million.

Full

Post by Full » May 10th, 2019, 2:28 pm

calaggie wrote:3. He implied that part of the new deal may include games on tuesdays and Wednesdays — like the MAC. He clearly wasn’t happy about it, but didn’t say it was unacceptable.
I know I would consider dropping my season tickets with Tuesday and Wednesday games. I’m ok with Thursday games because I only drag on a Friday at work the next day. Also, it’s usually the first game of a year. I’m not sure I want to show up to Tuesday/Wednesday games, and I haven’t missed a home game in a decade. Two weekday games a year and my season tickets become pointless.

I don’t know how the Mountain West can’t make a power move with all the late night games they fill. Perhaps the competition with Boise’s ugly turf and BYU’s regressing team (with their their conference affiliation, honor code issues, and limited recruiting pool) are enough to fill late night games. I’m fine with some late nights and a Thursday game, but a lot of what I like about attending a game disappears if they are scheduled mid-week.

I hope they don’t keep the games on weekends, because I love going to games. Go Aggies!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm

We don't have a realistic chance to get anywhere near what the AAC got. Not many people on the east coast are interested in g5 games that start at 10:00PM ET.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 5:57 pm
We don't have a realistic chance to get anywhere near what the AAC got. Not many people on the east coast are interested in g5 games that start at 10:00PM ET.

If we’re not going to get much money from the networks we may as well call their bluff and adopt scheduling formats that will help fans attend in the stadium. The MW needs to open their eyes to the powerful position we occupy as one of only 2 FBS conferences in the west. These networks need us to fill time slots and appeal to audiences across the country. The PAC 12 already has its tv deals in place so who else are these execs going to get for viewers out west. While true that east coast bias helps the AAC, the lack of competition out west should likewise help the MW.
The only thing going to tues-thurs schedules accomplishes is to alienate fan bases and weaken the conference.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueAggiesneed

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:

If we’re not going to get much money from the networks we may as well call their bluff and adopt scheduling formats that will help fans attend in the stadium. The MW needs to open their eyes to the powerful position we occupy as one of only 2 FBS conferences in the west. These networks need us to fill time slots and appeal to audiences across the country. The PAC 12 already has its tv deals in place so who else are these execs going to get for viewers out west. While true that east coast bias helps the AAC, the lack of competition out west should likewise help the MW.
The only thing going to tues-thurs schedules accomplishes is to alienate fan bases and weaken the conference.
I think unless we get 3 million or more we need to look at have games on stadium facebook or what ever so we control start times. I understand the need for exposure and revenue, but there is a tipping point. We shall see.
Last edited by oleblu111 on May 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
sneed

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:

Agree completely.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » May 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm

A Tuesday night game on November would pack out MOFAMS, to the extent of maybe 10K. Why can’t they emphasize some of the West division during November night games. UNLV, SDSU and Hawaii are fine that time of year, and it would be a 7:30:start there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm
A Tuesday night game on November would pack out MOFAMS, to the extent of maybe 10K. Why can’t they emphasize some of the West division during November night games. UNLV, SDSU and Hawaii are fine that time of year, and it would be a 7:30:start there?

Hell Fresno and SJS have little trouble with November nite games either.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 10th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Great point. Even Boise with all their success has a disgruntled fan base with all their home games having 8:30 starts.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 10th, 2019, 10:49 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:28 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:

I think unless we get 3 million or more we need to look at have games on stadium facebook or what ever so we control start times. I understand the need for exposure and revenue, but there is a tipping point. We shall see.
100% agree. They are basically saying, 1. They aren’t going to pay much and 2. The games are going to be mid week. **** them. I prefer every game on Facebook anyway. That way we 1. Still don’t get paid much but 2. Get optimal game times every weekend.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 11th, 2019, 6:59 am

Then they’d say “see you can’t even get your fans to attend” when people from arent willing to attend Tuesday nights.

The MWC is getting stronger and winning is how we build marketability.

Idk why we gave away our leverage long term with Boise.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 11th, 2019, 9:42 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 6:59 am
Then they’d say “see you can’t even get your fans to attend” when people from arent willing to attend Tuesday nights.

It’s embarrassing honestly. How was the conference possibly stupid enough to give Boise more money in perpetuity.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 9:42 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

It’s embarrassing honestly. How was the conference possibly stupid enough to give Boise more money in perpetuity.

Absolutely right on about the MWC STUPIDITY,,
,,,where were Boise and SDSU going to end up if they didn't re-affiliate with the MWC? The PAC12 was NEVER a possibility for either school, and the Sun Belt...well,,,,,, enough said as USU discovered. The MWC dropped the ball when leverage was on their side after the BIG EAST disintegration left Boise and SDSU without a conference, and now we have a flat tire, DOA, financially lopsided T V deal. Need to think outside of the so called traditional lines of thought here.

The issues with Boise enjoying financial conference T V benefits in perpetuity has to aggravate way more than one school in the conference. Again, where would Boise go as a result of league membership confrontation over T V monies? It's past time to reopen the financial T V revenue discussions.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 11th, 2019, 11:18 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 10:32 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 9:42 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

Absolutely right on about the MWC STUPIDITY,,
,,,where were Boise and SDSU going to end up if they didn't re-affiliate with the MWC? The PAC12 was NEVER a possibility for either school, and the Sun Belt...well,,,,,, enough said as USU discovered. The MWC dropped the ball when leverage was on their side after the BIG EAST disintegration left Boise and SDSU without a conference, and now we have a flat tire, DOA, financially lopsided T V deal. Need to think outside of the so called traditional lines of thought here.

The issues with Boise enjoying financial conference T V benefits in perpetuity has to aggravate way more than one school in the conference. Again, where would Boise go as a result of league membership confrontation over T V monies? It's past time to reopen the financial T V revenue discussions.
It's like the MW is a teenaged girl with body dysmorphism. While the conference isn't a 9 or 10 as far as looks, we're a solid 7 or 8 and need to quick puking in the bathroom and settling for losers in the dating game.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
ChicAggiedonlarson8

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 11th, 2019, 11:49 am

East coast media bias. Plain and simple. Don't beat up on USU or the MW, it's just the number of TV's east of the Mississippi dominates programing and for the most part opinion . Accept it for what it is.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:49 am
East coast media bias. Plain and simple. Don't beat up on USU or the MW, it's just the number of TV's east of the Mississippi dominates programing and for the most part opinion . Accept it for what it is.
We'll never grow the fanbase playing tues and wednesday games, and we may in fact damage the fanbase. Wasatch front fans can't come up for those and the fans in Cache have yet to buy in enough to fill the stadium on their own. It's really hard to win back fans once they realize how convenient and time saving it is to watch from home. I speak from experience with my own family and we're diehard Aggie fans. Once you replace being at the games with the comfort of your own couch it's really hard to get back.

sneed

Post by sneed » May 12th, 2019, 9:35 am

It’s dumb that Boise gets more money but would we trade places with them? Of course the school would but would the fans want that? Make an extra 700-800k/ yr (even less with the new deal right?) to HOPE to get one afternoon game a year?

I’m in the camp to give up a few hundred k if needed to get good start times. No more than 1 bad start time / year (and that game better be a good team that will come close to selling out anyway).

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » May 12th, 2019, 9:05 pm

A Tuesday or Wednesday would kill our season ticket interest. My dad and I have had 4 season tickets for around 30 years and have been coming since the 70s. This coming season we doubled our season tickets. If the new schedule is as feared, we may not renew at all next year and buy a ticket here and there on a Saturday. Driving 2 hours one way is too long for kids in school and work schedules.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 12th, 2019, 11:29 pm

sneed wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 9:35 am
It’s dumb that Boise gets more money but would we trade places with them? Of course the school would but would the fans want that? Make an extra 700-800k/ yr (even less with the new deal right?) to HOPE to get one afternoon game a year?

I’m in the camp to give up a few hundred k if needed to get good start times. No more than 1 bad start time / year (and that game better be a good team that will come close to selling out anyway).
The first step for fixing the Boise deal is to start beating them. As long as they are winning conference championships even every other year, it's going to be a hard sell to change the current financial deal. No one stays on top forever. Boise is never going to be San Jose, the embarrassment of the conference, but down the road, they may be pushed to a consistent second or third place in the Mountain division. For argument's sake, let's say that ten years from now, Utah State has become the big dog in the Mountain division, winning a division title two of every three years, and a conference title every other year, and Boise hasn't won a division title in five years. At that point, you can make the argument that the deal has to change, and have some weight behind it.

Win first. Everything else follows.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
USU78NVAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm

at least Heartwell made it to the Pasadena venue. Apparently he was still stuck on the roof of the hotel in Vegas when they went to leave to Long Beach (Gary's joke, not mine). :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 13th, 2019, 12:42 pm

I'm going to need proof that he was actually seen. I've always heard that the guy is like Big Foot.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » May 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm

NVAggie wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:42 pm
I'm going to need proof that he was actually seen. I've always heard that the guy is like Big Foot.
He was difinitely in Pasadena. President Cockett said he over slept the night before, and that’s why he missed Long Beach.

I asked him about the Bovee hire, too. He said Bovee wants to be a BCS AD, and it’s apparently nearly impossible to make the jump from FCS to BCS. Hartwell was emphatic that he wasn’t hiring his replacement — at least not in the near term.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm

FWIW, Nevada's AD has responded on Twitter to this post and has said that weekday games aren't going to happen.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
donlarson8FullsneedAggie_in_Idaho

calaggie

Post by calaggie » May 13th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Great. I swear that isn’t the way it sounded at the road show.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 13th, 2019, 7:54 pm

I am hearing that Tue/Wed is not part of any discussions. The MWC has a strong brand and I think we'll see a great weekend-based deal.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 15th, 2019, 4:22 am

I think TV has ruined college football. Weeknight games are only the tip of the iceberg. The last several games I went to in person were nearly four hours long, and constantly held up for television breaks. It was quite miserable compared to what I experienced while at USU back in the mid 1990s. This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending an FC Barcelona game at Camp Nou. The game started at 6:30pm and ended by 8:20. Other than for halftime, a few penalties and some late substitutions, the game did not stop. Now I know soccer and football are two different sports, and trying to make the games two hours long is impossible. But I do think they can be brought back closer to three hours without stopping for TV commercials every five minutes. Basically, IMHO, if the MWC cannot get a good contract, then the conference should focus on making the fan experience as good as it possibly can be. For the most part have Saturday afternoon games, especially after Oct 1, and have the streaming broadcasts with limited commercial breaks. Perhaps something like a corporate logo in the corner of the screen instead of regular commercial breaks.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 15th, 2019, 9:21 am

I'm on board with this. The trouble is that the TV money is guaranteed. You get a set amount that you can count on. Fans showing up is not guaranteed, especially in today's society. That is why TV will always trump fans in the stands.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » May 16th, 2019, 8:08 am

Hartwell clarified last night, no ties/wed game. Even called out usufans as a source of mid information . AAC new tv deal not as sweet as they make it out to be. They report only gross $ and also leave out the fact most schools need multi million $ upgrades to provide the production each school needs to provide on their own. Still negotiating through June for mtw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calaggie

Post by calaggie » May 16th, 2019, 9:41 am

WAAggie wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:08 am
Hartwell clarified last night, no ties/wed game. Even called out usufans as a source of mid information Image. AAC new tv deal not as sweet as they make it out to be. They report only gross $ and also leave out the fact most schools need multi million $ upgrades to provide the production each school needs to provide on their own. Still negotiating through June for mtw.

I know what I heard. Hartwell was the source of the misinformation. He apparently misspoke.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » May 16th, 2019, 9:57 am

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 16th, 2019, 10:46 am

calaggie wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:41 am
WAAggie wrote:
Hartwell clarified last night, no ties/wed game. Even called out usufans as a source of mid information Image. AAC new tv deal not as sweet as they make it out to be. They report only gross $ and also leave out the fact most schools need multi million $ upgrades to provide the production each school needs to provide on their own. Still negotiating through June for mtw.

I know what I heard. Hartwell was the source of the misinformation. He apparently misspoke.
After his fake conversation with Utah’s AD about renewing the series, I take all Hartwell comments with a grain of salt.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 16th, 2019, 10:57 am

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:46 am
calaggie wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

After his fake conversation with Utah’s AD about renewing the series, I take all Hartwell comments with a grain of salt.
So you think Hartwell lies ? Maybe the Utes lied about that, after all coach A. said that Utah will never play football with us in Logan. I would think for him to say that some kind of conversation would have taken place.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » May 16th, 2019, 12:17 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:57 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
calaggie wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

So you think Hartwell lies ? Maybe the Utes lied about that, after all coach A. said that Utah will never play football with us in Logan. I would think for him to say that some kind of conversation would have taken place.
oleblu111 wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 10:57 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
calaggie wrote:
WAAggie wrote:

In that particular circumstance, Hartwell would have a reason to bend the truth and Harlan wouldn’t. If they really had been in talks Harlan would’ve said “I’ve been in communication with John and we are evaluating our future to make the best scheduling decisions for the University of Utah”. Harlan had nothing to gain by fabricating a story that Hartwell has actually never called him. John, however, has every reason to make it appear to the Aggie fan base that he is actively pursuing a renewed Aggie-Ute series.

I like Hartwell, but his response to the question during the Welcome Back GA presser did seem hurried/panicky and not so legit. Going to give the benefit of the doubt to Harlan on this one.

Locked Previous topicNext topic