Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm

C) Neemias Queta 6'11", Klay Stall 6'10", Ben Fakira 6'10"
C) Jakub Karwowski 7'2", Roche Grootfaam 6'9"
PF) Justin Bean 6'7", Alphonso Anderson 6'7", Liam McChesney 6'9"
SF) Brock Miller 6'6", Diogo Brito 6'5", Sean Bairstow 6'7"
PG) Sam Merrill 6'5", Abel Porter 6'3"

Of course this post is actually just in jest...sort of. :)
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

slcagg

Re: Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

Post by slcagg » May 11th, 2019, 8:01 am

Points out the number of big men compared to guards. Of course we know fakira is gone per 22 and I’d be surprised if stall is really available.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2019, 8:11 am

I could be that Queta and Fakira are both gone, and Grootfraam play's forward I believe.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 11th, 2019, 9:37 am

I will give it a more serious try

C) Neemias Queta, Jakub Karwowski, Klay Stall, Roche Grootfaam
PF) Liam McChesney, Justin Bean, Alphonso Anderson, Roche Grootfaam
SF) Brock Miller , Alphonso Anderson, Diogo Brito, Sean Bairstow
SG) Sam Merrill, Brock Miller, Diogo Brito, Sean Bairstow
PG) Abel Porter, Diogo Brito, Sam Merrill

Having said that, I don't think we will see Miller and McChesney on the floor at the same time very much.

I really like the tape on Sean Bairstow, I can't believe I have him all the way down the depth chart.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2019, 10:03 am

oleblu111 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 8:11 am
I could be that Queta and Fakira are both gone, and Grootfraam play's forward I believe.
I promise you, Ben Fakira has already gone home.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 11th, 2019, 10:06 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 10:03 am
oleblu111 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 8:11 am
I promise you, Ben Fakira has already gone home.
Thank you for your input. I believe you.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 11th, 2019, 10:08 am

Yea...it's been posted on verbal commits that we've signed the big guy and that Ben has left the team for personal reasons.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2019, 11:05 am

Blitz79 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 9:37 am

Having said that, I don't think we will see Miller and McChesney on the floor at the same time very much.

I really like the tape on Sean Bairstow, I can't believe I have him all the way down the depth chart.
Here's some more food for thought. The coaching staff expects Sean Bairstow to be a major contributor this year.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
ChicAggiedonlarson8

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 11th, 2019, 11:12 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:05 am
Blitz79 wrote:

Here's some more food for thought. The coaching staff expects Sean Bairstow to be a major contributor this year.
I believe it based on his film. He's also an excellent ball handler for those who are sweating our lack of a point guard in recruiting.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieaggies22sneed

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » May 12th, 2019, 5:27 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:05 am
Blitz79 wrote:

I believe it based on his film. He's also an excellent ball handler for those who are sweating our lack of a point guard in recruiting.
I would not be surprised to see Brock replaced by Alphonso Anderson and Bairstow. I expect Anderson, Bairstow and McChesney to become scoring contributors pretty quickly.

Last year, some of our best games are when we had some production at the PF and SF positions. This wasn’t consistent though. I think we will have a lot more consistency this year and should do the same thing as bringing in a probing PG; take the pressure off Sam. With maybe Queta and Karwowski at center and McChesney and Anderson at PF, I think interior defenses will be pressed, opening up the perimeter and drives by guards. This team looks very dangerous and exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
FeartheFro

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 12th, 2019, 7:06 pm

We should be scary good next year.

If Queta comes back, IMO, that’s the best USU team ever on paper, especially if Bairstow can be a primary ballhandler and we can get anything out of Groot or Stall.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » May 12th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Miller needs to work his butt of so he can find consistency. Hopefully one of the new guys can knock down wide open threes to open things up for Sam.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » May 12th, 2019, 7:54 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:We should be scary good next year.

If Queta comes back, IMO, that’s the best USU team ever on paper, especially if Bairstow can be a primary ballhandler and we can get anything out of Groot or Stall.
If Groot or Stall actually can play next year, we will be very good. We will have depth at both post positions and could be very aggressive on both defense and offense. We could play a very big lineup or have bodies to throw on the court in case of foul trouble.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 12th, 2019, 8:07 pm

dyedblue wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Miller needs to work his butt of so he can find consistency. Hopefully one of the new guys can knock down wide open threes to open things up for Sam.

Bairstow, McChesney, and Anderson all appear to be able to shoot.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
cval

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2019, 8:08 pm

scotlandog wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 7:54 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:We should be scary good next year.

If Groot or Stall actually can play next year, we will be very good. We will have depth at both post positions and could be very aggressive on both defense and offense. We could play a very big lineup or have bodies to throw on the court in case of foul trouble.

Grootfaam is good to go. He is now working on playing his way into shape.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
scotlandog

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » May 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Let's say Queta does come back. This is my guess as to how things could go:

C) Neemias Queta, Jakub Karwowski, Klay Stall, Justin Bean
PF) Roche Grootfaam, Alphonso Anderson, Liam McChesney, Justin Bean
SF) Brock Miller, Diogo Brito, Liam McChesney, Sean Bairstow, Justin Bean
SG) Sam Merrill, Diogo Brito, Sean Bairstow
PG) [Yet to be named transfer]. Abel Porter, Sam Merrill.

Honestly, if Stall returns and plays any time as all it will be a bonus. Guys with his back just don't return to be productive that often.

Roche Grootfaam and Alphonso Anderson will pretty much share the 4. Together they bring a nice "inside/outside" vibe, and Grootfaam already has a year in the program. Anderson is tremendously mobile and a willing rebounder. While Liam McChesney was a high school power forward, he seems more like a collegiate "face to the basket" guy to me. If he's going to play power forward in college, he needs to add about 30 pounds to his frame or he'll get pushed all over the place.

Nothing is guaranteed for anybody at the 3. Brock Miller needs more consistency, Diogo Brito made great strides but has to quit turning the ball over, and both McChesney and Bairstow could steal this position if they come ready to play. Anybody could win the starting 3 job if they show any kind of consistency. One or both of the freshmen could redshirt if they're not ready to make an immediate impact.

I think Justin Bean may be bound for a utilitarian role this year, playing the SF, PF, and occasionally some C when we go small and want to run. His mobility and leaping ability will get him into some spaces where that can be a big help to us.

All-American Sam Merrill is the shooting guard. `Nuff said. Diogo Brito and Sean Bairstow will back him up. A yet to be named transfer point guard will duke it out with Abel Porter for minutes at that spot, with Merrill and possibly a freshman signee filling in as needed.

This team will be incredibly deep if Queta returns. If he doesn't then a fantastic team becomes a pretty good team for now, and we'll have to see how all the pieces look when they finally get on the floor together. I know many will disagree with me, and that's fine. I look at players and fit them in where I think they will make the biggest impact, not necessarily where " height" dictated they play in the past. If will be really interesting to see what develops.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm

IF we take a guard in this class, as it currently stands he will NOT be in next year's rotation. As the great Norman Dale once said, "my team is on the floor."
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
newtonianbluedonlarson8

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 13th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Man if we can get a good pg we are a top 20 team and can run with anybody.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 13th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I can't argue with your evaluation, but it just hurts seeing Justin Bean down so far. That guy plays with heart and contributed a lot more to our team last year than his stat line might indicate.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07newtonianblue

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 13th, 2019, 5:44 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm
IF we take a guard in this class, as it currently stands he will NOT be in next year's rotation. As the great Norman Dale once said, "my team is on the floor."
Not gonna lie, I am a little disappointed that the staff feels this way. I understand wanting to be loyal and instill confidence in the guys that "brought you to the dance" BUT it doesn't change the fact that our biggest issue against next level teams (this goes for the tourney too) is that we do not possess an elite level PG. Porter has done a serviceable job filling in and deserves the scholarship he earned during last season but top end teams have top level PG's and/or play incredible team defense. Not to mention the bigger issue which is that we are one injury away from not even having that serviceable PG. Yes, Merrill and Brito can play the PG position in short periods when needed but I can't imagine an entire season of them at PG.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:44 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Not gonna lie, I am a little disappointed that the staff feels this way. I understand wanting to be loyal and instill confidence in the guys that "brought you to the dance" BUT it doesn't change the fact that our biggest issue against next level teams (this goes for the tourney too) is that we do not possess an elite level PG. Porter has done a serviceable job filling in and deserves the scholarship he earned during last season but top end teams have top level PG's and/or play incredible team defense. Not to mention the bigger issue which is that we are one injury away from not even having that serviceable PG. Yes, Merrill and Brito can play the PG position in short periods when needed but I can't imagine an entire season of them at PG.
Sean Bairstow can also play the 1 if needed.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 13th, 2019, 6:29 pm

aggies22 wrote:IF we take a guard in this class, as it currently stands he will NOT be in next year's rotation. As the great Norman Dale once said, "my team is on the floor."
Someone at one of these road trips should ask Smith about this. Again, I know you have sources, but it just doesn’t make sense.

It borders on insanity to not bring one in.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2019, 6:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:IF we take a guard in this class, as it currently stands he will NOT be in next year's rotation. As the great Norman Dale once said, "my team is on the floor."
Someone at one of these road trips should ask Smith about this. Again, I know you have sources, but it just doesn’t make sense.

The coaching staff is VERY particular about who they offer the opportunity to play basketball at Utah State to. Suppose none of the point guards that all of you are clamoring for don't fit the standard that the coaching staff holds their players to? Should they bring the kid in anyway for $hits and giggles and hope the kid figures out how to fit in? Or should they wait for the kid they want and do things their way? It sure as hell worked out last year.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 13th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I’ll trust the staff. Abel is no slouch and can run the point. I think Bairstow and Anderson will be two perimeter guys we didn’t have last year that should put pressure on defenses with their driving ability. We’ll also have more 3 pt shooting to space the floor. We just needed some guys other than Sam that are a threat on the drive to bring us to the next level. If Bairstow and Anderson are as good as advertised, I think we’ve solved that problem.

I am a little worried about what happens if Abel gets hurt, but I am comfortable with him being our starting PG.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 13th, 2019, 7:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The coaching staff is VERY particular about who they offer the opportunity to play basketball at Utah State to. Suppose none of the point guards that all of you are clamoring for don't fit the standard that the coaching staff holds their players to? Should they bring the kid in anyway for $hits and giggles and hope the kid figures out how to fit in? Or should they wait for the kid they want and do things their way? It sure as hell worked out last year.
I reject the notion of all or nothing. By all means be selective and recruit the right one but find one.

And maybe I’ve got the wrong idea, but you seem to be implying they aren’t really even looking for one. You’ve said a couple times all the guys they are looking at would have to sit out next year.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2019, 7:18 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 7:17 pm
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I reject the notion of all or nothing. By all means be selective and recruit the right one but find one.

And maybe I’ve got the wrong idea, but you seem to be implying they aren’t really even looking for one. You’ve said a couple times all the guys they are looking at would have to sit out next year.

That is correct.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 13th, 2019, 7:20 pm

I think Brock will still be solidly in rotation. He stepped up at some key times down the stretch.

One of my favorite teams was that 08-09 team. When one player was struggling someone else seemed to step up. Tai might have an off night and Quayle-man or Newbold would step up... Or Pooh would make a massive play.

Brock was a freshman and although maybe I’m reading too much into comments- I don’t think the suggestion that he’s just going to be doing sweep up duties is accurate.

It seems like a great thing that we have so many guys that can contribute and I fully expect to see Brock be a part of that.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 13th, 2019, 7:24 pm

2004AG wrote:

Wow...picked 9th...wins the league and tourney....goes as an 8th seed in the NCAA...and now the decisions of the staff border on insanity??? Tough crowd!!!
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » May 13th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Tough crowd is right. If Smith does next year what he did this year, he's gone. We should at least enjoy it while we have it.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 13th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 7:27 pm
Tough crowd is right. If Smith does next year what he did this year, he's gone. We should at least enjoy it while we have it.
If we go to the tourney and lose in the round of 64 again we keep Smith.

If we go to the elite 8 we lose Smith.

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » May 13th, 2019, 7:31 pm

I don't agree.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » May 13th, 2019, 9:58 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:12 pm
I can't argue with your evaluation, but it just hurts seeing Justin Bean down so far. That guy plays with heart and contributed a lot more to our team last year than his stat line might indicate.
My thoughts exactly. There was a lot of games that he provided a very needed spark when we were down. I think he gets a lot of playing time next year.

Where only sage brush grows

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 14th, 2019, 12:21 am

Bank Shot wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 7:24 pm
2004AG wrote:

Wow...picked 9th...wins the league and tourney....goes as an 8th seed in the NCAA...and now the decisions of the staff border on insanity??? Tough crowd!!!
Last year we had Ainge, T. Knight, Porter, and JK3.
This year 3 of those 4 are gone and none of the new recruits has played PG at the collegiate level. Unless Sam is going to be the primary playmaker, we seem to lack depth at the PG position. If Porter goes down, I don’t have much confidence in anyone not named Sam, to be the primary playmaker. The coaching staff did an amazing job last season and I’m looking forward to how next season unfolds.

How I view it:
Inside Bigs: Queta, Karwowski, Grootfaam, Stall
Outside Bigs: Anderson, Bean, McChesney
Perimeter: Merrill, Miller, Brito, Bairstow
Ballhandler/Playmaker: Porter

Where do you think we have the biggest opportunity to improve?

I hope Porter makes big strides this offseason and becomes one of the top 3 playmakers in the MW, but it is just hope at this point.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 14th, 2019, 12:37 am

What we need: Players who can drive, pass, defend, rebound, and shoot
What we don't need: A "PG" who dominates the ball using tons of possessions pounding the ball while the best group of players USU has had in years watches.

Next year's team looks amazingly good. Lots of skilled players. If we defend and share the ball, we'll win a lot of games.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 14th, 2019, 8:21 am

In my opinion, the one glaring need for this team is an athletic PG with great ball handling and passing skills. When teams like New Mexico press us we need someone who can actually handle the pressure so our team doesn't turn it over 20+ times. Our lack of athleticism at the guard spot was also massively exposed by Washington.

As it seems right now though we'll be running with Abel Porter, Diogo Brito, and then Sam at PG.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Pacobag

Locked Previous topicNext topic