Queta - NBA Combine

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SpectrumMagic

Re: Queta - NBA Combine

Post by SpectrumMagic » May 20th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Seems to be consensus his stock slipped. He should have the information he needs to make a decision. Good luck in your decision

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 20th, 2019, 4:41 pm

justinmorrey wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm
I'd hope he wouldn't go the G-league route. How much is an athletic scholarship worth per year in $? It can't be much less than what he would be making in the G-league, right?
For the 18-19 season all G-League players made a base of $35k ($7k per month), then there were opportunities for call-up pay, bonuses, and prorated two-way contracts. And he would be playing under the NBA game-play rules (clock violations, continuation, 3-pt line, etc...). Over 50% of the G-league has played in the NBA.Not a bad gig really, especially when running the risk of injury. Compare that to the International Tuition cost of about $12k annually + about $2k housing + $2k food + $400 books.

Given his EU citizenship as well, he could probably easily go and make even more money back in Europe for a year before being drafted. All that makes it hard for me to believe he'll come back to Logan, and I'm not sure it makes sense developmentally for him to either, but I'd love to see him in Aggie Blue again.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-leag ... 19-season/

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:
I'd hope he wouldn't go the G-league route. How much is an athletic scholarship worth per year in $? It can't be much less than what he would be making in the G-league, right?
For the 18-19 season all G-League players made a base of $35k ($7k per month), then there were opportunities for call-up pay, bonuses, and prorated two-way contracts. And he would be playing under the NBA game-play rules (clock violations, continuation, 3-pt line, etc...). Over 50% of the G-league has played in the NBA.Not a bad gig really, especially when running the risk of injury. Compare that to the International Tuition cost of about $12k annually + about $2k housing + $2k food + $400 books.

Given his EU citizenship as well, he could probably easily go and make even more money back in Europe for a year before being drafted. All that makes it hard for me to believe he'll come back to Logan, and I'm not sure it makes sense developmentally for him to either, but I'd love to see him in Aggie Blue again.

If it were such an easy decision, why doesn’t everybody go to Europe and the G league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 20th, 2019, 7:38 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 4:41 pm
justinmorrey wrote:

Empty arenas, constant "try-outs", teammates with "me first" attitudes trying to pad their stats to improve their stock faster than yours...

vs.

College social life, earning a degree, packed arenas of rabid fans, team-basketball, fundamentals, championships, The Big Dance.

I'd stay at Utah State.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
sneed

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 20th, 2019, 7:46 pm

For every Porzingis there are a ton of Jan
Vesley’s and Darko Milcic’s .

I think if not the NBA, he is best off in college. It gives him the best chance at the NBA. He can always play in Europe. Might as well grab that degree if he wants to eventually play there. Wesley, Neebold, Wilkinson, Butterfield & of course Jaycee have played international. That option is almost a guarantee for him. Why rush then.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 20th, 2019, 8:29 pm

G-League is a poor choice for a big. He won't see the ball. Just a bunch of teams experimenting with chucking 80 3's a game. It would be interesting to see how many bigs called up compared to other positions.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 20th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I think Queta should return but I don't know his financial situation. I think if he wanted to play in Europe he would have stayed there. You can get drafted into the NBA from European Professional leagues. He chose to come to the US and go to college so I would not be at all surprised if he remains in Logan.

Nevada has a player now, Kane Millings, who chose to forego a pro contract in France because he wanted the college experience.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 20th, 2019, 10:20 pm

treesap32 wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 7:38 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

Empty arenas, constant "try-outs", teammates with "me first" attitudes trying to pad their stats to improve their stock faster than yours...

vs.

College social life, earning a degree, packed arenas of rabid fans, team-basketball, fundamentals, championships, The Big Dance.

I'd stay at Utah State.
The biggest benefit of returning is the chance to play himself into a first round pick.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 21st, 2019, 7:05 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

I am fairly certain he is on scholarship.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 21st, 2019, 7:58 am

Jonathan Wasserman is a very reputable draft source. He’s released his top 50 draft prospects post nba combine after talking with NBA scouts he says.

Queta isn’t on it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... st-combine

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » May 21st, 2019, 8:23 am

Just my opinion but I think he would be better served by another year at USU, it will be interesting to see what he decides.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » May 21st, 2019, 8:37 am

I haven't heard a single "expert" say he should stay in. It would be unwise to stay in.

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » May 21st, 2019, 8:51 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he already is planning on come back to school but with workouts scheduled with four teams booked it would be stupid to announce he is withdrawing from the draft before the last day or so. The direct feedback and coaching from NBA personnel alone is is worth holding on to the process. I would think he is in communication with the coaching staff which is probably why the recruiting noise has died down a bit. I expect we will hear on the 28th or 29th after he has done every visit and gotten everything he can get out this experience that he is coming back to Logan for another year.

With the feedback he has it will be interesting to see how much progress he is going to make next year. Coach Smith has always says he is extremely motivated to improve on anything hes not good at. he will now have a list and the rest of the conference better beware.
These users thanked the author AgSpaceCase for the post (total 3):
oleblu111aggies22JSHarvey

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » May 21st, 2019, 9:00 am

I hope he comes back. The only thing better than a mini Ditka on the team next year is a giant Queta!

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 21st, 2019, 11:18 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 7:05 am
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

Correct. I was responding to question above on the one year financial value of his scholarship posed by . Roughly $16k value vs a minimum of $35k salary from the G-League. Of course there are a million intangibles that can play into the "value" of a year in college, but strictly financially speaking his scholarship is worth about $16k per year.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 21st, 2019, 11:40 am

2004AG wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

If it were such an easy decision, why doesn’t everybody go to Europe and the G league?

I never said it was an easy decision and each player's circumstances vary, making for a pretty complex decision. I was responding to a question about the finances. Financially speaking, it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to stick around in college. I believe that he'll have great developmental opportunities wherever he ends up, and believe he made a big enough impact as a freshman that teams will be watching him regardless of whether it be back in Logan, Europe, or the G-League. Again, I want him to come back to Logan, I just could understand reasons for not coming back.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 21st, 2019, 12:00 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 8:51 am
I wouldn't be surprised if he already is planning on come back to school but with workouts scheduled with four teams booked it would be stupid to announce he is withdrawing from the draft before the last day or so. The direct feedback and coaching from NBA personnel alone is is worth holding on to the process. I would think he is in communication with the coaching staff which is probably why the recruiting noise has died down a bit. I expect we will hear on the 28th or 29th after he has done every visit and gotten everything he can get out this experience that he is coming back to Logan for another year.

With the feedback he has it will be interesting to see how much progress he is going to make next year. Coach Smith has always says he is extremely motivated to improve on anything hes not good at. he will now have a list and the rest of the conference better beware.
Been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks now...

Hope we’re right!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 21st, 2019, 3:08 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:40 am
2004AG wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

I never said it was an easy decision and each player's circumstances vary, making for a pretty complex decision. I was responding to a question about the finances. Financially speaking, it doesn't make a lot of sense for him to stick around in college. I believe that he'll have great developmental opportunities wherever he ends up, and believe he made a big enough impact as a freshman that teams will be watching him regardless of whether it be back in Logan, Europe, or the G-League. Again, I want him to come back to Logan, I just could understand reasons for not coming back.
I guess my point was this: every single high school player, domestic or foreign has the ability to do what you describe, and yet, how many have gone that route? .0001%? The other 99.999% have chosen to go the college route. Queta isn't unique.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 21st, 2019, 9:40 pm

It is my understanding that if he does not withdraw and then is not drafted, he will not be eligible for the draft again. Is that correct? If that is the case, he should definitely withdraw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 21st, 2019, 10:04 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 9:40 pm
It is my understanding that if he does not withdraw and then is not drafted, he will not be eligible for the draft again. Is that correct? If that is the case, he should definitely withdraw.

Correct.

BeHURD

Post by BeHURD » May 22nd, 2019, 12:27 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

Last edited by BeHURD on May 22nd, 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeHURD

Post by BeHURD » May 22nd, 2019, 12:32 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 11:18 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

Correct. I was responding to question above on the one year financial value of his scholarship posed by . Roughly $16k value vs a minimum of $35k salary from the G-League. Of course there are a million intangibles that can play into the "value" of a year in college, but strictly financially speaking his scholarship is worth about $16k per year.
Non-resident tuition is $22,000 a year.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

BeHURD wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:32 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
I stand corrected. I had misread the tuition schedule as per year rather than per semester. That did seem abnormally inexpensive. The $22k still does for non-resident.

https://www.usu.edu/budget/pdfs/tuition ... hedule.pdf

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:58 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm
BeHURD wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
I stand corrected. I had misread the tuition schedule as per year rather than per semester. That did seem abnormally inexpensive. The $22k still does for non-resident.

That’s not including housing and food costs that are covered by his schools either.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 22nd, 2019, 2:08 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:58 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:36 pm
BeHURD wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:

That’s not including housing and food costs that are covered by his schools either.
I have access to a database that compiles research and data for the total estimated costs (tuition, room & board, books, other expnses) of a college education for every college in the US. Total expenses for 1 year at USU with out state tuition are about $34k.

SLB

Post by SLB » May 22nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

plus closer earning a degree
A degree would help with a back-up plan/post basketball career.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » May 22nd, 2019, 2:37 pm

SLB wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 2:14 pm
plus closer earning a degree
A degree would help with a back-up plan/post basketball career.
One more year of college isn't earning him a degree though. I assume he's a 95% likely 1st rounder next year. No data behind that, just my assumption.
These users thanked the author dhilk3785 for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
dhilk3785 wrote:
justinmorrey wrote:

Yep. If just playing pro ball anywhere was superior to college, you would see tons of players constantly leaving early including at USU. Reality is the college experience is better than playing for little money in front of no fans in dumpy community college multipurpose centers.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2019, 6:58 pm

TrueAG wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 8:29 pm
G-League is a poor choice for a big. He won't see the ball. Just a bunch of teams experimenting with chucking 80 3's a game. It would be interesting to see how many bigs called up compared to other positions.
Yep and the coaching is for the most part inferior in minor league basketball compared to high level D1 basketball no matter what some people will say. There is a reason teams like the OKC Thunder and Cleveland Cavs have recently hired college basketball coaches to be their head coaches. When have you seen an nba team hire a head coach directly from the G league?

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

Why go to the G league when you can be the big man on campus for another year? On-campus he's a celebrity. In the G league he's just another player.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 22nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

bigblue wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 7:53 pm
Why go to the G league when you can be the big man on campus for another year? On-campus he's a celebrity. In the G league he's just another player.

Well one reason is that in the G-League they actually pay you to play.

One can pencil out what the cost of one year of college is at USU and compare it to a G-League salary. But that’s not an apples-to-apples comparison IMO. The latter presents actual dollars in his pocket while the former does not.

I think the real question for Queta, assuming he won’t be drafted in the 1st round, is whether he feels one more year playing at the college level would be more beneficial to his development than playing in the G-League or Europe. I don’t think his decision will turn on returning to USU to be the big man on campus or realizing the cost benefit of one more year of college education. But one thing is certain, in one week we’ll all know what his decision will be.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 22nd, 2019, 9:43 pm

But if he goes to the G-League he cannot ever be a first round pick with the guaranteed money. As I understand it, you cannot go to the G-league and then get drafted. If you get drafted in the first or second round, the team that drafted you holds your rights and can assign you to the G-League. If you go second round, you have no guaranteed money and can't pick your G-League situation (unless they cut you first). It is almost better to go undrafted. If you aren't drafted, you can join the G-League as a free agent, but the draft opportunity (along with potential first round money) has passed for good. If he isn't going to be drafted, he is absolutely better off returning to college and re-evaluating next year.

He could withdraw from the draft, go to Europe and still enter the draft next year, but I don't see why he would do that when he has already chosen the college route over Europe. He could have stayed in Europe to begin with. His development and exposure opportunities are likely better here, and unless he hates the situation here (I don't get that vibe at all), he is probably best served coming back.

85% chance he returns. Smith probably already knows this, which would help explain the light recruiting. 10% chance he gets bad advice and stays in the draft, goes end of 2nd round/undrafted and goes D-league. 4% he goes to Europe, and 1% chance he gets drafted in the first round.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » May 22nd, 2019, 11:00 pm

utaggies wrote:
bigblue wrote:

One can pencil out what the cost of one year of college is at USU and compare it to a G-League salary. But that’s not an apples-to-apples comparison IMO. The latter presents actual dollars in his pocket while the former does not.

I think the real question for Queta, assuming he won’t be drafted in the 1st round, is whether he feels one more year playing at the college level would be more beneficial to his development than playing in the G-League or Europe. I don’t think his decision will turn on returning to USU to be the big man on campus or realizing the cost benefit of one more year of college education. But one thing is certain, in one week we’ll all know what his decision will be.
I think everyone is being too analytical here. Queta likes being in the limelight. Obviously that's not the only aspect to consider for him. But that's the reason I feel he'll be back.

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 22nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

Strictly from a development stand point, what are the pros and cons of 1 year in the G-league vs 1 year at USU?

SLB

Post by SLB » May 22nd, 2019, 11:35 pm

bigblue wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:00 pm
utaggies wrote:
bigblue wrote:

I think everyone is being too analytical here. Queta likes being in the limelight. Obviously that's not the only aspect to consider for him. But that's the reason I feel he'll be back.

I believe Queta made the right decision up to this point, but it would be best for Queta to come back very soon.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
bigblue

Locked Previous topicNext topic