Mark Harlan is a pussy....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
2004AG

Re: Mark Harlan is a pussy....

Post by 2004AG » June 5th, 2019, 6:21 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 3:14 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 10:31 am
If Trump visited the University of Utah, he would grab it by Mark Harlan.
And if Joe Biden visited the University of Utah he would sneak up behind Mark, touch his shoulders, sniff and inhale his hair, and then kiss the back of his head.
I can understand why some *might* find the original quote's text (by ChicAggie) slightly political *but it was* a clever play on the title of the thread. Yours (Aggie in Boise) on the other hand is just seems to be a political rant/tit-for tat temper tantrum.
Ironic that you chide Boise for not getting the humor of the joke and then attack him by calling his joke a temper tantrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 5th, 2019, 8:02 pm

LKGates wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 10:39 am
If we keep winning, and calmly but persistently stating that we are happy to play them home and home, eventually the fans, the media, and perhaps the state legislature will bring enough pressure to force the issue, especially if BYU continues to decline.

Two years from now, if the U has beaten the Y 10 times in a row, and we've beaten them soundly 4 times in a row, there will be pressure to switch out USU for BYU on the U's schedule.
I believe LK has posted the real solution to opening the gates for playing Utah. Beware though, the Utes have so much more money to invest in athletics than we currently even dream of in Logan.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 5th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Its not in the Ute's interest to show they're not lacking in testicular fortitude or that they're the undisputed best team in Utah? Give me a break.

Full

Post by Full » June 5th, 2019, 10:58 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:I'm not sure it is in our best interest to play them. Playing 2 in state non conference games a year, 1 FCS school and a money game is a very limited schedule. It might behove us to play a team out side of our conference footprint seeing how we get players from Texas and Florida alot.

A win would feel good but would it really mean more than a win over Michigan State or Washington State for that matter? Yes slightly because of instate kids. But what would a loss do.. reinforce that mind set in kids.

Yes in my heart I want to play and beat Utah but no more than any other P5 school. If we scheduled a 4 year home and home with Colorado would it really be much different than Utah in the long run? I doubt it.
It’s still in the best interest of USU to rip on them for not playing us. I agree with your sentiment, but the attitude of their athletic department begs to be brought back down to earth. The Utes in the PAC-12 are like Missouri in the SEC; closer to the bottom than the top.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 5th, 2019, 11:11 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:57 am
gomretat wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 9:50 am
Said it before - what they are doing makes sense. Not good for us but they have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.
If that is the case why do we play Weber, UVU in Basketball ? Do we not have as much to lose as what the ewe of ewe does ?
you play the game, if you are afraid of losing to another instate school then perhaps you should face the folks that fund your University, and explain why you are not willing to play instate school instead of taking games and revenue out of state ? If I was in state government that question would be asked loud and often.

When USU starts to get quality teams the ewe of ewe blackball our membership in conference with them or refuse to play us.
As far as I understand, Utah would play us in Salt Lake, just like we play Weber in Logan.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 6th, 2019, 6:34 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
gomretat wrote:
Said it before - what they are doing makes sense. Not good for us but they have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.
If that is the case why do we play Weber, UVU in Basketball ? Do we not have as much to lose as what the ewe of ewe does ?
you play the game, if you are afraid of losing to another instate school then perhaps you should face the folks that fund your University, and explain why you are not willing to play instate school instead of taking games and revenue out of state ? If I was in state government that question would be asked loud and often.

When USU starts to get quality teams the ewe of ewe blackball our membership in conference with them or refuse to play us.
As far as I understand, Utah would play us in Salt Lake, just like we play Weber in Logan.
We are at least in a different classification than Weber

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111

Full

Post by Full » June 6th, 2019, 6:35 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote: As far as I understand, Utah would play us in Salt Lake, just like we play Weber in Logan.
We played Weber State in the Dee Events center in 2017 and in Salt Lake this year. If your talking about an FBS football team that schedules home and home series. The Utes schedule home and home series with Mountain West and MAC teams. If your talking about a team that schedules home and home with PAC 12 teams that would be USU and I believe all Mountain West teams.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 6th, 2019, 6:57 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
gomretat wrote:

It's against NCAA rules for us to play at Weber, so not very comparable.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 6th, 2019, 7:56 am

Although the PAC is better than the MWC overall, I think they will have pressure to improve their schedules. We are getting to the point where I think (certain) 2 loss SEC teams, 1 loss B1G teams, and 1 loss Big 12 teams will get in over undefeated PAC teams. This makes it harder for the PAC IMO. Undefeated Clemson, 1 loss Michigan, 2 loss SEC champion, and an Alabama team whose only loss is the CCG is going to leave an undefeated Washington team in the cold.

That could give us some market power to bring in more PAC teams. Utah would be smart to schedule us on a 2-1 now, because if I were a betting man if the PAC doesn't make the playoffs again our market value goes up to a 1-1. Not too bad with 11 other PAC teams we could potentially play.

Plus, I reject the notion we need to play the Utes for recruiting purposes. In-state kids know who we are. Playing Utah seems to have less marginal return in terms of recruiting than playing ASU. I've noticed we go hard after a lot of AZ kids. We go hard after a lot of Oregon kids (and lose commits to Oregon State). I think the marginal returns are there. We have tons of in-state visibility.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » June 6th, 2019, 9:45 am

Recently, USC and another P5 school that I don't recall, announced that they are reviewing their "no I-AA schools" scheduling philosophy.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » June 6th, 2019, 11:46 am

I for one would like to see us take a 2 for 1 deal or maybe just a money game from them. Why not beat them at their place. We came dangerously close with Chuckie. Just play the freaking game!!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 6th, 2019, 1:47 pm

A football game in SLC without an equal return must come with a $1mil check.

If it doesn't were better off playing a team with more name recognition.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
NVAggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:14 pm
I thought that ChicAggies post was really funny. I took no offense whatsoever. No rant or tit-for-tat temper tantrum here.
I guess I owe you an apology. :cheers:
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
Aggie in Boise

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Full

Mark Harlan is a pussy....

Post by Full » June 6th, 2019, 3:12 pm

brownjeans wrote:A football game in SLC without an equal return must come with a $1mil check.

No no no. Your way to low. It’s a $1.91 million payout for playing at Alabama. Playing a revenue game in Salt Lake needs to pay at least that much. Washington and LSU are $1.5. There were 45 schools paying $1 million or more guarantees last season. Liberty paid $1.3 million.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 6th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Full wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 6:35 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote: As far as I understand, Utah would play us in Salt Lake, just like we play Weber in Logan.
We played Weber State in the Dee Events center in 2017 and in Salt Lake this year. If your talking about an FBS football team that schedules home and home series. The Utes schedule home and home series with Mountain West and MAC teams. If your talking about a team that schedules home and home with PAC 12 teams that would be USU and I believe all Mountain West teams.
I don't even know why I posted that. Sometimes I just like to argue. You're all right. F*** the U.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Full

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Full wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 3:12 pm
brownjeans wrote:A football game in SLC without an equal return must come with a $1mil check.

No no no. Your way to low. It’s a $1.91 million payout for playing at Alabama. Playing a revenue game in Salt Lake needs to pay at least that much. Washington and LSU are $1.5. There were 45 schools paying $1 million or more guarantees last season. Liberty paid $1.3 million.
AT LEAST. Utah should really be paying $2M+ since we'd be taking an SOS hit playing a Pac12 school.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 6th, 2019, 4:19 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:14 pm
I thought that ChicAggies post was really funny. I took no offense whatsoever. No rant or tit-for-tat temper tantrum here.
I guess I owe you an apology. :cheers:
No worries. :cheers:
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
ChicAggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

cbingham

Post by cbingham » June 6th, 2019, 5:02 pm

While disappointing from a USU fan’s perspective, college football is a business and I don’t think that risking a loss to USU and the damage that can be done to in state perception, booster support and recruiting would be worth it.

We can feel however we want to but the only things we can really do to affect change is to keep winning, fill the stadium, and build the casual fan base.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » June 7th, 2019, 12:23 am

That was the issue if I remember right. We offered to play a one and done but Utah didn't want to pay what a typical money game would pay us. Basically said you travel a long way to play Alabama it's just a bus ride to slc so we won't pay as much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » June 7th, 2019, 8:31 am

Would anyone be interested in funding a billboard for a month near SLC? I would imagine that it would say something like "Mark Harlan, *U* Scared? Play the Aggies!" *Using the U logo

Based on what I know I think it would cost between $750-1,400 depending on the location. I can look into it more but if we could get 7-12 people that would pitch in $100 I think we could make it work.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 7th, 2019, 8:48 am

The truth with Weber is we did play Weber in Ogden before conference rules made it a no go. We have also played Idaho State in Poky. Of course we do play Weber home and home in basketball.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » June 7th, 2019, 9:10 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:31 am
Would anyone be interested in funding a billboard for a month near SLC? I would imagine that it would say something like "Mark Harlan, *U* Scared? Play the Aggies!" *Using the U logo

Based on what I know I think it would cost between $750-1,400 depending on the location. I can look into it more but if we could get 7-12 people that would pitch in $100 I think we could make it work.
I'M IN FOR $150.00.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 7th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:10 am
TrueBlueFan wrote:

I'M IN FOR $150.00.
I'm also in for $150. You might get some static from the U about using their logo without their permission.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 7th, 2019, 9:06 pm

cbingham wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:02 pm
While disappointing from a USU fan’s perspective, college football is a business and I don’t think that risking a loss to USU and the damage that can be done to in state perception, booster support and recruiting would be worth it.

We can feel however we want to but the only things we can really do to affect change is to keep winning, fill the stadium, and build the casual fan base.
Come on now, everybody. We beat the U in 2012. How much damage did that really do to their reputation, booster support, and recruiting? Who did we steal from them in the 2013 recruiting class because of that win? They seem to have done okay for themselves.

"Nothing to gain, everything to lose" is a coward's argument, especially now that USU is starting to develop some national recognition. Might have made some sense in the dark days. IMO they have much more to lose these days from playing BYU -- whose reputation is fading in the Sitake era -- than they do from playing USU.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

Nobody here knows anything.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 7th, 2019, 9:46 pm

LKGates wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Smokin Joe wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

I'M IN FOR $150.00.
I'm also in for $150. You might get some static from the U about using their logo without their permission.
Just have somebody on Fiverr do a spoof version of the logo and you'll land safely in fair use territory.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 7th, 2019, 10:42 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:46 pm
LKGates wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

I'M IN FOR $150.00.
Just have somebody on Fiverr do a spoof version of the logo and you'll land safely in fair use territory.
We have to incorporate a chicken into the logo, or at least somewhere on the billboard.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » June 7th, 2019, 11:13 pm

LKGates wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
TrueBlueFan wrote:

I'M IN FOR $150.00.
I’m in for $100. Saw the chicken comment. I think a pussycat should also be incorporated. Or maybe even a billboard that reads “Mark Harlan is a pompous (eggplant emoji), schedule Utah State”

ususports

Post by ususports » June 7th, 2019, 11:40 pm

OKAggie wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Come on now, everybody. We beat the U in 2012. How much damage did that really do to their reputation, booster support, and recruiting? Who did we steal from them in the 2013 recruiting class because of that win? They seem to have done okay for themselves.

"Nothing to gain, everything to lose" is a coward's argument, especially now that USU is starting to develop some national recognition. Might have made some sense in the dark days. IMO they have much more to lose these days from playing BYU -- whose reputation is fading in the Sitake era -- than they do from playing USU.
^^^This times 1,000,000.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » June 7th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Do we play Utah in the beehive classic this year?

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » June 8th, 2019, 12:07 am

Cannot dispute basketball...

However, with football, contracts are far more complicated. Everyone wants to point to the H-H series Utaj has scheduled with Wyoming, San Jose and Northern Illinois. But if we don't see the contract language, nobody can say what the "fairness" of the contract is. For instance, Wyoming has had H-H with Oregon and Texas recently.

So why would 2 high level schools agree to go to Laramie? Reduced payout? Shared gate?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 8th, 2019, 6:06 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 12:07 am
Cannot dispute basketball...

However, with football, contracts are far more complicated. Everyone wants to point to the H-H series Utaj has scheduled with Wyoming, San Jose and Northern Illinois. But if we don't see the contract language, nobody can say what the "fairness" of the contract is. For instance, Wyoming has had H-H with Oregon and Texas recently.

So why would 2 high level schools agree to go to Laramie? Reduced payout? Shared gate?

Good point. But when was the last time a team from a p5 went to northern ill or sjsu?

I can see how having both BYU and usu on the schedule really limits Utah’s out of conference but Utah is filling that spot that could be taken by usu with teams that would be considered equivalent or less. The argument would make sense if Utah scheduled another p5 in that spot but they aren’t.

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » June 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Texas and Oregon have both recently played at Wyoming. Miami went to Toledo last year.

G5 schools are becoming much less willing to take 2 for 1 deals. This used to he a very customed contract for P5 schools. Thus a transition to 1 for 1 deals which benefit certain schools.

So let's hypothetically say that negotiations with Utah and USU start with keeping the gate revenue. Does this benefit Utah? No because they'll sell out no matter the opponent. So what is the next benefit that Utah can get? Gate revenue share? Cost of travel? Recruiting locale? Gate share?

Bottom line is it is fun to claim fear, but there is so much more going into scheduling

sneed

Post by sneed » June 9th, 2019, 9:38 am

It's going to be nice Utah gets so many home games coming up with all those 2 for 1's they are getting. O wait.

I understand the series they have with Baylor? coming up and maybe even San Jose St (they can claim it's because California is so important) but N Illinois and Wyoming is dumb. Just play the Aggies every 2-3 years or so. I know they don't want a P5 every year or they would be scheduling P5s every year.

I haven't missed the series as much as I thought I would though. Maybe because we lost most of them? (Football) I do think we would compete fine now though.

Basketball- no excuse. Play every year. They did the worse possible thing for us and Weber by setting up the Behive Classic. Not only did they screw us with scheduling them they screwed our series with Weber (and possibly byu-provo). Please say this will not be done again after this year.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 12th, 2019, 10:02 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm
Texas and Oregon have both recently played at Wyoming. Miami went to Toledo last year.

G5 schools are becoming much less willing to take 2 for 1 deals. This used to he a very customed contract for P5 schools. Thus a transition to 1 for 1 deals which benefit certain schools.

So let's hypothetically say that negotiations with Utah and USU start with keeping the gate revenue. Does this benefit Utah? No because they'll sell out no matter the opponent. So what is the next benefit that Utah can get? Gate revenue share? Cost of travel? Recruiting locale? Gate share?

Bottom line is it is fun to claim fear, but there is so much more going into scheduling
Bottom line is fear of losing in Logan in either sport. The expense of traveling and staying in Laramie, SJS is a much more than taking bus to Logan. I would wage that Wyoming is not giving you red devils more than the expense of a charter flight and hotel plus meals.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 12th, 2019, 11:28 am

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm

If it doesn't benefit Utah to play at USU, why would it benefit them to play at WYO or NIU? Wouldn't you have the exact same problems? And these are also H/H arrangements, rather than a 2-for-1. Utah-USU is a guaranteed national television game if played early in the season (as all non-con rivalries should be outside of the very few big ones played during the last weeks of the season). The tickets are surely worth more for a USU game than a WYO or NIU game, which does increase Utah's revenue for the season. A sellout is a sellout, sure, but there is still a variable pricing component to the equation and when you factor in additional demand due to the hundreds of thousands of Aggies across the Wasatch Front, that is worth something to your university.

If you want to play a big-time P5 game, cool. If you want to buy a win and play SUU, cool. But don't come around here and try to tell me that the Utes aren't running scared when they are scheduling teams that don't tick either of those boxes.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Locked Previous topicNext topic