Let’s schedule a “1 and done” at Utah this year.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Let’s schedule a “1 and done” at Utah this year.

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 8th, 2019, 7:09 am

I really want John Hartwell to call up Mark Harlan and tell him “We’d love to play you guys and continue this great rivalry and tradition and for the state of Utah. Let’s schedule a game. We’ll come play you on your court this year and you don’t have to schedule a return game.”

Harlan wouldn’t/couldn’t say no to that, right?! And if he actually did, put it out there publicly that he did.

I don’t really see any good reason why our AD wouldn’t do that this year. It’s a close game, a cheap trip, and gives us a chance to pick up a road win against a power conference team.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
donlarson8

OKAggie

Re: Let’s schedule a “1 and done” at Utah this year.

Post by OKAggie » June 8th, 2019, 8:02 am

Are you kidding? We have nothing to gain and everything to lose from playing those guys. We're already being touted as preseason Top 25 -- nobody anywhere is talking about next year's Utes. Beat them and it's like "well of course, you're a Top 25 team." Lose and it's like "see, we were right not to schedule you."

[/TIC]

In principle I've been opposed to playing them in a one-and-done, but I kind of like this idea. We have a team that would be favored to beat them even on their own court, it could give us a P5 road win, and it would breathe a little air into the deflated balloon of the 100+ year rivalry they've been content to poop on since Texas turned down the Pac-12 and it had to turn to its safety school. Oh, and they might be able to sell some tickets to an OOC game for once.

Maybe we won't do it for a number of reasons -- insistence on a home-home only, or maybe our schedule is already full. But "but we might lose" shouldn't be a consideration for us, as it seems to always be for them.

Nobody here knows anything.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 8th, 2019, 8:28 am

Do you folks understand why the ewe of ewe does not want to schedule USU ? The only reason is fear of losing, playing USU in SLC with a great shot at being beaten is not what they desire.

USU has never been able to force the ewe of ewe to do anything like making us a member of the WAC we were black balled and that continued for decades.

The only way that USU could force the ewe is if we were as strong with the state government, as they are had much better fan support, bigger media coverage, continue to produce top 25 teams, it could be done if that were to happen.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 8th, 2019, 8:59 am

No thanks

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I don't think the Utes would go for this, this year. Even as a one and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Why would we go for it? I'd rather we played pretty much any other PAC12 or BIG12 school in an away one and done than Utah.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
oleblu111

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I think with this very nice product you have it would be better to get out of Utah and get folks in other parts of the country to see what your team can do.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 5):
brownjeansdonlarson8ProvoAggienewtonianblueNVAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I love the idea of this team doing a one and done road game, but instead on Utah, let's pick an eastern team in the top 25 and get more experience for what we'll face in the post season.
sneed

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 8th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Hell no. Why in the world would we do that???

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 8th, 2019, 5:30 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 8:28 am
Do you folks understand why the ewe of ewe does not want to schedule USU ? The only reason is fear of losing, playing USU in SLC with a great shot at being beaten is not what they desire.

USU has never been able to force the ewe of ewe to do anything like making us a member of the WAC we were black balled and that continued for decades.

The only way that USU could force the ewe is if we were as strong with the state government, as they are had much better fan support, bigger media coverage, continue to produce top 25 teams, it could be done if that were to happen.
That's the point. Utah would say no and it would just add fuel to the "too scared" fire. It's nothing more than calling Harlan's bluff. I see no downside.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Worst idea I have heard for awhile. We are better than they are. We are in the top 25 (probably)... not them. Why even think of giving them a chance, and then not get a return Game?
The absolute best days were when we played the U, the Y and Weber home and home every year. That was 6 games of pure fun every year.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 9th, 2019, 9:17 am

Uhhhhh, no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
dyedblue

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 9th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I don't think we should give them the time of day, just like they've done to us. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the NET ranking, wouldn't it make more sense for the U to play USU on the road? A win means more and a loss means less.

Go Aggies!

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » June 9th, 2019, 8:57 pm

If we are going to do a one and done lets do it against a real P5 school not a P5 lite school like Utah.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2019, 7:50 am

The NET means more for USU than UofU. They are in the PAC 12.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 10th, 2019, 8:28 am

If Utah goes for it then we're locked into this scheduling status for the long run (see BYU's 2 for 1 football set up with us for decades). I agree I'd rather play a real P5 team one and done.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
oleblu111

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » June 10th, 2019, 8:26 pm

I agree with most of the comments too. Sorry, bro. I get what you are saying, but it's like negotiating with terrorists. I don't trust them and I think we maintain our dignity and seek playing 1 and done's with the Houston's of the bball world or 1:1 Utah has expressed their opinion and there's much more meaningful competition out there.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2019, 9:52 pm

I get both sides of the argument. I think the P5 stuff is ruining college sports.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 11th, 2019, 10:54 am

brownjeans wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Why would we go for it? I'd rather we played pretty much any other PAC12 or BIG12 school in an away one and done than Utah.
bluegrouse wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 2:32 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Worst idea I have heard for awhile. We are better than they are. We are in the top 25 (probably)... not them. Why even think of giving them a chance, and then not get a return Game?
The absolute best days were when we played the U, the Y and Weber home and home every year. That was 6 games of pure fun every year.
1. Because it gives us as good of a chance as game any game would with for a potential Tier 1 win in the NCAA Net ranking. There's a decent shot Utah is top 75 next season.

2. Utah fans poorly attend games in the Huntsman. Having the Huntsman center full of Aggie fans out cheering Utah fans would be an amazing experience.

3. It gives a close game for all the local wasatch front Aggies to attend. On paper it's also a road game against a power conference team. In reality it's a very low cost trip for us that wouldn't be much like a true road game.

4. It could really help in recruiting. Look at Jaxon Brenchley as a prime example. Kid from Cache Valley who chose Utah. If USU is marching into SLC and giving the Utes a beat down, maybe it helps with battles like that.

5. Bragging rights. Utah media and fans are always propping up the Utes & and the Pac 12 and giving them respect. Having USU schedule one game and go into the Huntsman center and give them a beat down and then not play again would be so amazing in that aspect. It's the whole "Any time, any place, any where" state of mind.

Quite frankly, I'm shocked so many of you are afraid of the game.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 11th, 2019, 11:40 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
1. Because it gives us as good of a chance as game any game would with for a potential Tier 1 win in the NCAA Net ranking. There's a decent shot Utah is top 75 next season.

2. Utah fans poorly attend games in the Huntsman. Having the Huntsman center full of Aggie fans out cheering Utah fans would be an amazing experience.

3. It gives a close game for all the local wasatch front Aggies to attend. On paper it's also a road game against a power conference team. In reality it's a very low cost trip for us that wouldn't be much like a true road game.

4. It could really help in recruiting. Look at Jaxon Brenchley as a prime example. Kid from Cache Valley who chose Utah. If USU is marching into SLC and giving the Utes a beat down, maybe it helps with battles like that.

5. Bragging rights. Utah media and fans are always propping up the Utes & and the Pac 12 and giving them respect. Having USU schedule one game and go into the Huntsman center and give them a beat down and then not play again would be so amazing in that aspect. It's the whole "Any time, any place, any where" state of mind.

You’re assuming we would give them a beat down. That’s no guarantee, look no further than what happened in Provo last year.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 11th, 2019, 11:51 am

2004AG wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 11:40 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

You’re assuming we would give them a beat down. That’s no guarantee, look no further than what happened in Provo last year.

This?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

No I’m not. I’m listing out the pros of winning. We also won’t find a game with an easier potential of being a tier 1 win.

What are the cons of losing? They’ll be more willing to schedule us in the future and basically we’d already be in the same position are we are with them right now.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm
2004AG wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

No I’m not. I’m listing out the pros of winning. We also won’t find a game with an easier potential of being a tier 1 win.

What are the cons of losing? They’ll be more willing to schedule us in the future and basically we’d already be in the same position are we are with them right now.
#1, #4 and #5 all 100% directly hinge on us giving Utah a beat down. #4 and #5 both even include the phrase "beat down".

#2 indirectly invloves a "beat down", because in order for Aggie fans to out cheer and drown out Utah fans, it would require us to "beat down" Utah.

#3 doesn't have anything to do with a "beat down".

I didn't state my opinion one way or another if we should do a one and done with Utah in Salt Lake, and I never said the pros don't outweigh the cons.

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » June 11th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Let's not.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm

We are a good enough team once again that we don't need to prostitute ourselves out to the "mighty Utes".

Play on fair terms.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
oleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 11th, 2019, 3:44 pm

As far as Salt Lake aggies attending a game with the ewe of ewe in SLC I remember the game in 2017 in the Jazz arena the attendance numbers were very small and USU lost by 10.

Some time ago USU played schools in the Jazz arena in order to get the SLC alum's involved that also ended up being mostly cache valley folks driving down to watch the aggies.

If the ewe of ewe wants to play USU it must be home and home or not at all.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 11th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:54 am
Key word "potential" tier 1 win. I'm not convinced they'll be very good. I can think of a lot of other teams where a one and done will have as much, or more upside with much less downside (even if we lost).
Roy McAvoy wrote:
You're probably the only one who cares about this. Not a reason to do it.
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I'm a Wasatch-front Aggie, and I don't care to ever go to the Hunstman center to watch the Aggies play the U on a one-and-done (unless the U is paying us a huge amount of cash to compensate for the lack of a return game). This is not a reason to do it.
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Debatable. A kid that wants to play for a "P5" isn't going to go with USU over UofU even if we beat them by 50 points. How many players have we offered and lost to UofU recently?
Roy McAvoy wrote:
This would matter for about five minutes and then it'd get dismissed as "our superbowl" or even grudgingly as a "rivalry" and as such, "anyone can win". I would like a road win vs. a team that's ACTUALLY good. Let's do that instead. Let's do a one-and-done with Kansas or something like that.
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I'm afraid of this like I'm afraid of pouring gravy on my Rib eye steak. It's not frightening, just a bad decision.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
USU78oleblu111

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 11th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Never do this, either a home and home or nothing. USU does not need the U. Also, get rid of that home court 1 Day basketball mess in SLC, that just helps the Utes justify not traveling.
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
aggies22

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 12th, 2019, 12:40 am

oleblu111 wrote:As far as Salt Lake aggies attending a game with the ewe of ewe in SLC I remember the game in 2017 in the Jazz arena the attendance numbers were very small and USU lost by 10.

Some time ago USU played schools in the Jazz arena in order to get the SLC alum's involved that also ended up being mostly cache valley folks driving down to watch the aggies.

Maybe the first time we played in salt lake or athletic department should have pitched the game to alumni and allowed them to buy tickets instead of locking them up until the day of the game. Just a thought...

I even contacted Barnes directly and he told me they owed it to season ticket holders to give them first right of refusal. Maybe, just maybe there aren't many swain ticket holders on the Wasatch front because it is tough to get to Logan on work nights and winter weather in the canyon.

BYU got exactly what they wanted it if the deal and or AD made the mistake even worse.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 12th, 2019, 8:39 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 12:40 am
oleblu111 wrote:As far as Salt Lake aggies attending a game with the ewe of ewe in SLC I remember the game in 2017 in the Jazz arena the attendance numbers were very small and USU lost by 10.

Maybe the first time we played in salt lake or athletic department should have pitched the game to alumni and allowed them to buy tickets instead of locking them up until the day of the game. Just a thought...

I even contacted Barnes directly and he told me they owed it to season ticket holders to give them first right of refusal. Maybe, just maybe there aren't many swain ticket holders on the Wasatch front because it is tough to get to Logan on work nights and winter weather in the canyon.

BYU got exactly what they wanted it if the deal and or AD made the mistake even worse.

The first time we played in the Jazz arena Barnes was not the A.D..

I was on the executive board of the Ole big blue club and pushed to play games in SLC so aggie alums could go and enjoy, we never got as much support as I had hoped for, and it pissed off a lot of cache valley season ticket holders.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 12th, 2019, 11:46 am

oleblu111 wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 8:39 am
I was on the executive board of the Ole big blue club and pushed to play games in SLC so aggie alums could go and enjoy, we never got as much support as I had hoped for, and it pissed off a lot of cache valley season ticket holders.
As an alum who lives about 15 minutes from the Jazz arena, I never went to one of these games for several reasons:
  1. I saw it as a concession to the UofU position to only play USU in SLC and refused to participate on principle.
  2. When tempted to throw away my principles and go anyway, I looked at the cost. Upper bowl seats in that place aren't really worth buying at any price. Lower-bowl were priced way too high. Were the prices set as if someone would be interested in attending both games? I have zero interest in watching the game without USU. I chose to watch at home instead.
In summary, I will travel an hour to Logan to watch USU play Weber St. in the Spectrum before I travel 15 minutes to downtown SLC to watch USU play UofU (or Weber St., or BYU) in the Vivint Smarthome Arena.
2004AG

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » June 12th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:

I think these are all legitimate potential benefits from playing 1 game in SLC. However, I think they are all outweighed by the fact that by agreeing to those terms we will lose the ability to ever schedule a h/h with them in the future.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm

brownjeans wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 8:39 am
As an alum who lives about 15 minutes from the Jazz arena, I never went to one of these games for several reasons:
  1. I saw it as a concession to the UofU position to only play USU in SLC and refused to participate on principle.
  2. When tempted to throw away my principles and go anyway, I looked at the cost. Upper bowl seats in that place aren't really worth buying at any price. Lower-bowl were priced way too high. Were the prices set as if someone would be interested in attending both games? I have zero interest in watching the game without USU. I chose to watch at home instead.
In summary, I will travel an hour to Logan to watch USU play Weber St. in the Spectrum before I travel 15 minutes to downtown SLC to watch USU play UofU (or Weber St., or BYU) in the Vivint Smarthome Arena.
I feel the same way.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
brownjeans

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 12th, 2019, 10:46 pm

What are the chances that Krystkowiak or Harlan would even accept a "one and done" offer at the Huntsman Center this year?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Locked Previous topicNext topic