Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

Post by TheAKAggie » June 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm

dyedblue wrote:If they are indentured servants, why do parents spend thousands Yom thousands in comp teams, AAU ball, and playing in tournaments all over the country as young as second grade. Is all that done to seek your soul to be an indentured servant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because that’s the only way to get to the next level, and ego.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Hail Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

dyedblue wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 11:04 pm
If they are indentured servants, why do parents spend thousands Yom thousands in comp teams, AAU ball, and playing in tournaments all over the country as young as second grade. Is all that done to seek your soul to be an indentured servant?

You’re talking about them prior to their signing away their talents for monetary gain of the universities, coaches, media, and NCAA.
I don’t think paying players is the answer, but having a stipend they receive upon graduating for their years of service would be a good start.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 11th, 2019, 8:26 am

My opinion is like many on here.

1. Do I feel bad for him that he had to play under Tim? Yes, of course. That must have sucked.
2. Do I fault him for wanting to get out of a bad situation? No, of course not.
3. Do I like the way he left? Not even a little. But I can understand it.
4. Is he a victim here? Nope. He chose to leave the way he did. Bad coach or not, he doesn't get absolved from his own choices. But what bothers me the most, is that he went on to lie about it all.

I will always appreciate someone who loves the Aggies, and I get that he has grown quite a bit. However, I don't see any attempt to actually take responsibility for what he did, other than admit on a podcast that things happened the way we all knew they did.

But maybe I'm wrong.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
cdaAgaggies22

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » June 11th, 2019, 8:40 am

My perspective is very similar to yours, AgMan. He shared his perspective. He comes across as still not wanting any accountability for his decision. Tough decisions are tough. So are some of the consequences. He was the one who made the decision and still seems upset that the institution provided consequences. I was surprised at how open he was about the rule-breaking that occurred.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post:
AgMan21

bpd

Post by bpd » June 11th, 2019, 9:05 am

DC pandering to an Aggie audience on an Aggie podcast....shocking.... and you guys are buying it.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
TrueBlue

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 11th, 2019, 9:18 am

cdaAg wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:40 am
My perspective is very similar to yours, AgMan. He shared his perspective. He comes across as still not wanting any accountability for his decision. Tough decisions are tough. So are some of the consequences. He was the one who made the decision and still seems upset that the institution provided consequences. I was surprised at how open he was about the rule-breaking that occurred.
“The difference between treason and patriotism is only a matter of dates”— Alexandre Dumas

What the transfer portal allows players to do now was what Collette attempted to do back then. He was just a few years ahead of the NCAA making it acceptable.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 11th, 2019, 9:34 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:18 am
cdaAg wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:40 am
“The difference between treason and patriotism is only a matter of dates”— Alexandre Dumas

What the transfer portal allows players to do now was what Collette attempted to do back then. He was just a few years ahead of the NCAA making it acceptable.
I disagree. The transfer portal is a way for players that have been released from their scholarships to declare that they are eligible to be recruited again. Collette was not released from his scholarship, and decided to transfer after playing two exhibition games. Collette was shopping himself around to teams before he even told anyone at Utah State that he was transferring. The transfer portal wouldn't have helped with that. Teams are not allowed to contact athletes that are currently under scholarship. Period. Transfer portal or not. The fact that Utah entertained Collette's illicit contact to them and offered him a scholarship while he was still under scholarship with another institution is a blatant violation of NCAA rules.

The transfer portal would have only come into play if Collette had decided to transfer between semesters and his name would have gone in there as someone who could be contacted. None of that happened or would have come in to play.

It's interesting that you have a recording of a blatant admission of NCAA violations by a player and institution and no one is batting an eye. Yes, we all knew it happened, but we have an actual admission. It's sad that we will likely not see anything made of this.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
aggies22WAAggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 11th, 2019, 9:38 am

I think he would’ve used the transfer portal before the exhibition games, maybe even during the summer based on his recounting of the events. What he didn’t want to do was quit without a landing spot so yes, with Utah’s help, they broke the rules. I would love for someone in the media to do their damn job and report this.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 11th, 2019, 9:45 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:38 am
I think he would’ve used the transfer portal before the exhibition games, maybe even during the summer based on his recounting of the events. What he didn’t want to do was quit without a landing spot so yes, with Utah’s help, they broke the rules. I would love for someone in the media to do their damn job and report this.
If he would've told the team during the summer that he was transferring they would have likely have allowed him to use the transfer portal, yes. But he did not do that. He used his agent to call multiple teams, including UNLV and Utah before telling anyone at Utah State that he was thinking of transferring. Duryea got a phone call from Dave Rice at UNLV informing him that Collette's agent was shopping him around before Duryea had even been informed that Collette wanted out.

The transfer portal only comes into play once a player is released from their scholarship.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 11th, 2019, 10:06 am

treesap32 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:34 am
I disagree. The transfer portal is a way for players that have been released from their scholarships to declare that they are eligible to be recruited again. Collette was not released from his scholarship, and decided to transfer after playing two exhibition games. Collette was shopping himself around to teams before he even told anyone at Utah State that he was transferring. The transfer portal wouldn't have helped with that. Teams are not allowed to contact athletes that are currently under scholarship. Period. Transfer portal or not. The fact that Utah entertained Collette's illicit contact to them and offered him a scholarship while he was still under scholarship with another institution is a blatant violation of NCAA rules.

The transfer portal would have only come into play if Collette had decided to transfer between semesters and his name would have gone in there as someone who could be contacted. None of that happened or would have come in to play.

It's interesting that you have a recording of a blatant admission of NCAA violations by a player and institution and no one is batting an eye. Yes, we all knew it happened, but we have an actual admission. It's sad that we will likely not see anything made of this.
Totally agree on all points.

Within a week of Collette's announced transfer, I actually contacted the NCAA, reported the facts we knew at the time, and suggested that the facts warranted investigation. Obviously, none of that happened. The NCAA seems to care about enforcing its rules only when it is convenient for them or the violation(s) rise to such a level that they become public or threaten to become public and would stain the reputation of the NCAA if they ignored the violation(s). If any of you have contacts at the Herald Journal and any SLC rags, I would encourage you to send them the link to the podcast and let them draw their own conclusions about whether there is something newsworthy here. Obviously, most of us as the spurned school believe what happened here is exactly what the rules were intended to prevent, so it seems newsworthy to us. Not sure the media will agree. Their view will likely (wrongly) be that "the past is the past, let bygones be bygones, and no harm, no foul."
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
WAAggie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 11th, 2019, 10:34 am

treesap32 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:45 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:38 am
If he would've told the team during the summer that he was transferring they would have likely have allowed him to use the transfer portal, yes. But he did not do that. He used his agent to call multiple teams, including UNLV and Utah before telling anyone at Utah State that he was thinking of transferring. Duryea got a phone call from Dave Rice at UNLV informing him that Collette's agent was shopping him around before Duryea had even been informed that Collette wanted out.

The transfer portal only comes into play once a player is released from their scholarship.
The transfer portal as we currently know it did not exist back then.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 11th, 2019, 10:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
If they are indentured servants, why do parents spend thousands Yom thousands in comp teams, AAU ball, and playing in tournaments all over the country as young as second grade. Is all that done to seek your soul to be an indentured servant?

You’re talking about them prior to their signing away their talents for monetary gain of the universities, coaches, media, and NCAA.
I don’t think paying players is the aanswer, but having a stipend they receive upon graduating for their years of service would be a good start.
Who runs AAU teams? Who is getting paid to land players at specific universities with exclusive footwear contracts?

Shoe companies and middle men are making bank of AAU ball.

I have no problem giving players a stipend or even some pay (although Title IX makes it impractical), but to say a student athlete is indentured is a stretch.

I worked 56 hour work weeks in graveyard to pay for my education. I'd trade places in heart beat.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 11th, 2019, 11:18 am

dyedblue wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:48 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I don’t think paying players is the aanswer, but having a stipend they receive upon graduating for their years of service would be a good start.
Who runs AAU teams? Who is getting paid to land players at specific universities with exclusive footwear contracts?

I have no problem giving players a stipend or even some pay (although Title IX makes it impractical), but to say a student athlete is indentured is a stretch.

I worked 56 hour work weeks in graveyard to pay for my education. I'd trade places in heart beat.

You have no idea the suff'ring that these players go through, day in and day out. Don't try to compare your "hard" "job" to basketball. It's not even close to the same.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 11:43 am

dyedblue wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Relative to the value/revenue many athletes (men’s BB and FB) provide to a university, the university is getting an absolute steal by giving them a stipend and a schollie.

Something needs to be done to compensate the athletes better, but I don’t know what the answer is.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » June 11th, 2019, 11:51 am

Just my opinion but DC leaving hastened the departure of TD - and we got Smith as a result! :-)

Had the win/loss record not been as dismal DT likely gets another year and someone else gets Smith, regardless of how I feel about the circumstances of DC leaving (and those feelings are not good) the end result is fantastic.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 4):
MadmartiganLarryTheAggiebrownjeansaggies22

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Relative to the value/revenue many athletes (men’s BB and FB) provide to a university, the university is getting an absolute steal by giving them a stipend and a schollie.

Something needs to be done to compensate the athletes better, but I don’t know what the answer is.
And me getting paid $11 an hour, while literally making my company thousands was fair? Sorry, but that's just real world.

In areas of medical care they do need to step up in a real way.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 1:28 pm

dyedblue wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

And me getting paid $11 an hour, while literally making my company thousands was fair? Sorry, but that's just real world.

In areas of medical care they do need to step up in a real way.

I don't know about your situation at your job or previous job. I doubt that the value you brought to that organization was higher than what a scholarship athlete at a program that produces millions of dollars in revenue for a University. While I certainly agree that life isn't fair and we shouldn't expect it to be, these athletes should receive better compensation than what they currently get for their time and sacrificing their bodies.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Roy McAvoy

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Let's be really honest here, most athletic departments come out in the red every year. It isn't like the university is flush with cash from these sports. I will submit that there are indirect financial benefits from having a strong athletics program. Most of that is marketing. The revenue generated typically goes back into the athlete for their education, housing, food, and comfort. They also have the opportunity to display their skills to scouts and possibly get drafted. If that system isn't enough benefit, these athletes can push their luck into minor league opportunities. I'm not interested in college sports becoming minor league sports.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 11th, 2019, 2:10 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:06 am
treesap32 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:34 am

Totally agree on all points.

Within a week of Collette's announced transfer, I actually contacted the NCAA, reported the facts we knew at the time, and suggested that the facts warranted investigation. Obviously, none of that happened. The NCAA seems to care about enforcing its rules only when it is convenient for them or the violation(s) rise to such a level that they become public or threaten to become public and would stain the reputation of the NCAA if they ignored the violation(s). If any of you have contacts at the Herald Journal and any SLC rags, I would encourage you to send them the link to the podcast and let them draw their own conclusions about whether there is something newsworthy here. Obviously, most of us as the spurned school believe what happened here is exactly what the rules were intended to prevent, so it seems newsworthy to us. Not sure the media will agree. Their view will likely (wrongly) be that "the past is the past, let bygones be bygones, and no harm, no foul."
I think you should contact the NCAA again. This time with a link to the podcast. I'm sure they'll $hit themselves when they hear him actually admit to the tampering. And then continue to act as if nothing illegal ever occurred.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 3:27 pm

NVAggie wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Let's be really honest here, most athletic departments come out in the red every year. It isn't like the university is flush with cash from these sports. I will submit that there are indirect financial benefits from having a strong athletics program. Most of that is marketing. The revenue generated typically goes back into the athlete for their education, housing, food, and comfort. They also have the opportunity to display their skills to scouts and possibly get drafted. If that system isn't enough benefit, these athletes can push their luck into minor league opportunities. I'm not interested in college sports becoming minor league sports.
You make a couple of assertions here I don't know one way or the other on. I'm curious your sources for the two statements I've bolded. I would assert most ADs are in the red because they have to support a bunch of non revenue generating sports due to title IX. If they had the ability to sponsor only MBB and Football, I think you'd see a transition from the red to the black. For smaller schools like USU, I don't know how much revenue (or if MBB and Football) are revenue positive, but most P5 institutions are quite successful financially from those two programs. I'm all for providing more compensation for players in those sports.

As far as minor league sports go, that's a viable option for a hoops player but not a football player. There isn't a minor league for football.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 11th, 2019, 3:55 pm

After listening to this, I fault him less for not sticking it out four years or even the rest of the year, but just as much for NOT bailing in the spring. He talks about liking it in Logan, without realizing that part of playing Logan is the coach and that you need to look at the whole package of staying at a school in the spring and summer, not just stay for one reason and leave for another. It's like you don't commit to play for Hawaii cause of in being a nice place to live, stay with them for the summer training and preseason practices then leave two days before the reason.

Koby, Rayshad Lewis, Riley Nelson and Garretson all had their reasons for coming here in the first place and reasons for leaving, but also had enough decency to decide to leave months in advance, rather than staying through summer and preseason for one reason, then leaving for another reason two days before the season. That said, it became more obvious that Duryea would not have done any better at finding a replacement if he left after the hire. And, another valid argument some people made is that we won the first game at Weber RIGHT AFTER the shell shock of the departure when you would have expected it to be the biggest problem.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 3:27 pm
NVAggie wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm
You make a couple of assertions here I don't know one way or the other on. I'm curious your sources for the two statements I've bolded. I would assert most ADs are in the red because they have to support a bunch of non revenue generating sports due to title IX. If they had the ability to sponsor only MBB and Football, I think you'd see a transition from the red to the black. For smaller schools like USU, I don't know how much revenue (or if MBB and Football) are revenue positive, but most P5 institutions are quite successful financially from those two programs. I'm all for providing more compensation for players in those sports.

As far as minor league sports go, that's a viable option for a hoops player but not a football player. There isn't a minor league for football.
Until Title 9 is abolished, your dream of paying football and men's basketball players is dead in the water. It will not happen. Also, read this: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... l-minority

I know it is several years old, but it is what I could find.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 11th, 2019, 10:45 pm

The night of the 2nd exhibition game (blow out loss), copies of the USU Statesman season forecast were handed out. An article featured DC. He had many complimentary things to say about Duryea, and he stated how excited he was to play for him and the upcoming season. Two days later he bailed. Can someone explain this,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 11th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:45 pm
The night of the 2nd exhibition game (blow out loss), copies of the USU Statesman season forecast were handed out. An article featured DC. He had many complimentary things to say about Duryea, and he stated how excited he was to play for him and the upcoming season. Two days later he bailed. Can someone explain this,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was likely excerpts from interviews right after Duryea was hired. It may be the last positive thing said by a player about Duryea that was captured in print. I’m guessing it’s framed on Timmy’s desk.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
JSHarvey

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Brad Rock wrote an article on the podcast and basically determined that no wrongdoing really occurred that the transfer portal wouldn't have fixed.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... owiak.html

He is wrong for all the reasons I posted above.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 13th, 2019, 3:18 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Brad Rock wrote an article on the podcast and basically determined that no wrongdoing really occurred that the transfer portal wouldn't have fixed.

Um no. The head coach HAS to enter the player into the transfer portal. Once the player requests a transfer the head coach has two days to enter the player into the portal. The player doesn't shop himself around and once he has a buyer they can't just take off.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » June 13th, 2019, 7:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 3:18 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Um no. The head coach HAS to enter the player into the transfer portal. Once the player requests a transfer the head coach has two days to enter the player into the portal. The player doesn't shop himself around and once he has a buyer they can't just take off.
This isn’t the official source but it doesn’t indicate that the head coach has to do anything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » June 13th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Pacobag wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

This isn’t the official source but it doesn’t indicate that the head coach has to do anything.

You have to inform your compliance administrator. With a Written Letter. You do not have to inform your coach.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may ... rtal-work/

That being said who actually has the login and enters the information may very well be the head coach however after reading this article I have my doubts

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 13th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Does it matter? Either way Collette and Utah broke the rules and when crap like this happens NO ONE wins. Utah State, Duryea, Collette, Utah and Crisco all ended up in a worse position because of his complete lack of integrity.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 13th, 2019, 11:46 pm

dyedblue wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:31 pm
Does it matter? Either way Collette and Utah broke the rules and when crap like this happens NO ONE wins. Utah State, Duryea, Collette, Utah and Crisco all ended up in a worse position because of his complete lack of integrity.
I don't know. I feel like I won.
I get to watch Smith coach what might be the best Aggie team in my lifetime next season. Colette is a big part of why things are great now. I'm not kidding. I should really send the guy a cake or something. I'm grateful.
Last edited by brownjeans on June 14th, 2019, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 7:21 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:21 pm
Pacobag wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:14 pm
aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

You have to inform your compliance administrator. With a Written Letter. You do not have to inform your coach.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may ... rtal-work/

That being said who actually has the login and enters the information may very well be the head coach however after reading this article I have my doubts
If that's the case, I guess I may have been wrong. Anything I've read has stated that it is the coach who has two days to enter a kids name. If I was wrong, I apologize for faulty info.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Pacobag

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 14th, 2019, 7:33 am

aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

That's why I said the article is wrong. Collette was illegally shopping himself out to poachers before he even notified USU (head coach or otherwise) that he was leaving. He wanted that guarantee of a scholarship before he let anyone at USU know oh his intentions to abandon the team before the first game.

Lack of a transfer portal is a red herring here. Has nothing to do with the NCAA violations the way that they occurred.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Pacobag

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 8:35 am

treesap32 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:33 am
aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

That's why I said the article is wrong. Collette was illegally shopping himself out to poachers before he even notified USU (head coach or otherwise) that he was leaving. He wanted that guarantee of a scholarship before he let anyone at USU know oh his intentions to abandon the team before the first game.

Lack of a transfer portal is a red herring here. Has nothing to do with the NCAA violations the way that they occurred.
I have always agreed with your take on the subject Sap. My "um, no" was in response to the brad rock article. I think it's ridiculous that he basically absolves Utah of any wrongdoing and insinuates that had the transfer portal existed back then, what Collette did wouldn't have been a problem. News flash brad, YES IT WOULD HAVE! Tampering is still tampering no matter how your lame a$$ wants to excuse it. But if we had used the same tactics to poach a utah or byu player our local media wouldn't rest until we were punished to the fullest extent of the NCAA by-laws.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Pacobag

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 14th, 2019, 9:28 am

And so he stayed in touch with his aau coach who didn't give him good advice about transfer rules. Then usu compliance didn't want to let him go after he started the season. It's a understandable situation from those perspectives on both sides. I don't think that Collette would disagree to this point.

However, Utah compliance (misnomer) obviously didn't want to be responsible for breaking the rules. It's no surprise that the slc media (not really local btw) pandered to the U.

It's also no surprise to me that any 21 or 22 yr old would take Utah's offer when dealing with a bad coach like Duryea. Duryea is in larger part responsible for this than Collette. And Utah compliance is definitely a misnomer.

I don't like seeing Collette thrown under the bus here in this thread because #1 he didn't really want to leave the university he loved and #2 wasn't left with much of a choice because a bad coach like Duryea will ruin your basketball career when you have as much potential as he did. That said, I really don't hold him responsible for what happened that much because Utah should've told him that he couldn't transfer under those conditions even though they were interested. And Duryea should've pulled his head out of his a$$ sooner but I don't think he could've done that. He wasn't capable and I still don't think he's capable of being an hc.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
bigblue

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 14th, 2019, 10:30 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:And so he stayed in touch with his aau coach who didn't give him good advice about transfer rules. Then usu compliance didn't want to let him go after he started the season. It's a understandable situation from those perspectives on both sides. I don't think that Collette would disagree to this point.

However, Utah compliance (misnomer) obviously didn't want to be responsible for breaking the rules. It's no surprise that the slc media (not really local btw) pandered to the U.

It's also no surprise to me that any 21 or 22 yr old would take Utah's offer when dealing with a bad coach like Duryea. Duryea is in larger part responsible for this than Collette. And Utah compliance is definitely a misnomer.

I don't like seeing Collette thrown under the bus here in this thread because #1 he didn't really want to leave the university he loved and #2 wasn't left with much of a choice because a bad coach like Duryea will ruin your basketball career when you have as much potential as he did. That said, I really don't hold him responsible for what happened that much because Utah should've told him that he couldn't transfer under those conditions even though they were interested. And Duryea should've pulled his head out of his a$$ sooner but I don't think he could've done that. He wasn't capable and I still don't think he's capable of being an hc.
Are you related to David?

Duryea was an average coach, but he is a decent person. He's an easy target here because of the success Smith has had.

Collette knowingly violated rules so did Utah. That's fact. I'm not going to absolve them just because TD wasn't a good coach. Like I said before, Collette had one of the lowest basketball IQs I have ever seen so I find it full of hipacrosy that he calls out TD for being to dumb to coach.

Locked Previous topicNext topic