Athlon QB rankings list released

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan
Posts: 2662
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 9:28 am

Athlon's annual QB ranking list has just been released. Instate QBs:

#46- Wilson
#16- Huntley
#12- Love

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... kings-2019
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 3):
usu99USU78usufan1



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 6654
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by USU78 » June 11th, 2019, 10:05 am

A larger perspective. Here are all of the projected starting QBs and their ratings for MWC, P-12, and the two indies in our footprint. True Love is 2nd, just ahead of Stanford's guy and behind Oregon's guy:

5. Herbert, Oregon
12. Love, USU
14. Costello, Ferd
16. Huntley, ewe
17. Tate, Zona
26. Eason, ewe-dub
32. McDonald, Hawai'i
40. Daniels U$C
41. Montez, Buffs
42. Gubrud, Wazzu
46. Wilson, yBu
50. Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
65. Rogers, UNLV
72. Hill, CSU
80. Sterling-Coe, ASU
81. Garbers, Cal
82. Luton, OSU
86. Hammond, AFA
88. Cord, Boazy
98. Chambers, Wyo
99. Agnew, SDS
100. Reyna, Fresno
108. Henry, Reno
113. Love, San Jose
118. Adkins, NewMags
120. Tuioti, New Mexico


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Madmartigan
Posts: 2662
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 10:19 am

USU78 wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 10:05 am
A larger perspective. Here are all of the projected starting QBs and their ratings for MWC, P-12, and the two indies in our footprint. True Love is 2nd, just ahead of Stanford's guy and behind Oregon's guy:

5. Herbert, Oregon
12. Love, USU
14. Costello, Ferd
16. Huntley, ewe
17. Tate, Zona
26. Eason, ewe-dub
32. McDonald, Hawai'i
40. Daniels U$C
41. Montez, Buffs
42. Gubrud, Wazzu
46. Wilson, yBu
50. Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
65. Rogers, UNLV
72. Hill, CSU
80. Sterling-Coe, ASU
81. Garbers, Cal
82. Luton, OSU
86. Hammond, AFA
88. Cord, Boazy
98. Chambers, Wyo
99. Agnew, SDS
100. Reyna, Fresno
108. Henry, Reno
113. Love, San Jose
118. Adkins, NewMags
120. Tuioti, New Mexico
I have been assured by Ute fans that there is no way a QB from USU can ever be better than a QB starting in the mighty PAC-12. Obviously this list is wrong. The defenses in the PAC-12 are just too strong to take this list seriously.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
USU78



jpswensen
Posts: 1479
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by jpswensen » June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5201
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
Huntley’s arm is serviceable, but he’s a dynamic athlete at the QB position.



taniataylor
Posts: 1648
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 513 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by taniataylor » June 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
The real question is WHY would you watch any UTE games???
:lol: :crazy: :headscratch:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggieaggie4L


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Madmartigan
Posts: 2662
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Madmartigan » June 11th, 2019, 1:21 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
He struggled against any Top 50 defense he faced and played well against the bad ones.



jpswensen
Posts: 1479
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by jpswensen » June 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm

taniataylor wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm
jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
The real question is WHY would you watch any UTE games???
:lol: :crazy: :headscratch:
I teach at WSU, so follow WSU football also. That is why I watched that game.

I watched the Utah vs UW game in hopes of schadenfreude for UW winning the Apple Cup against WSU (again!).


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

taniataylor
Posts: 1648
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 513 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by taniataylor » June 11th, 2019, 3:22 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm
taniataylor wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:49 pm
jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
The real question is WHY would you watch any UTE games???
:lol: :crazy: :headscratch:
I teach at WSU, so follow WSU football also. That is why I watched that game.

I watched the Utah vs UW game in hopes of schadenfreude for UW winning the Apple Cup against WSU (again!).
Good enough :cheers:


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

UtesAggs>BYU
Posts: 830
Joined: June 9th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » June 11th, 2019, 3:29 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed.
I was also unimpressed with his Pac12 CG performance too, seeing as he didn't play



oleblu111
Posts: 1410
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 491 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by oleblu111 » June 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I attended the ewe of ewe was a season ticket holder at one time, have a lot of friends that go to games, and tailgate down in shat lake city, but after the latest snub by them I no longer watch them play in person or on T.V. I always attended aggie games first, because I live in Logan, but I watched many games in SLC they were my second favorite.

I have told my Ute friends that their school is as bad if not worse than YBU with their arrogance. They are dead to me.

What I remember is the last football and basketball games the mighty ewe played in Logan they lost. I think that is a major reason they will not return.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 3):
IdaAg93AggieBluesaggie4L



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 & '17 Weekly
Posts: 15612
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: 서울
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 418 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 11th, 2019, 5:23 pm

this can't be right. byu fans have told me that wilson is clearly the best player in the state. how can he be the third best (FBS) quarterback in the state?



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8418
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2918 times
Been thanked: 1631 times
Contact:

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by aggies22 » June 11th, 2019, 5:25 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 5:23 pm
this can't be right. byu fans have told me that wilson is clearly the best player in the state. how can he be the third best (FBS) quarterback in the state?
Because those fans are right and the rest of the college football world is wrong. :crazy:



tysteve20
Posts: 180
Joined: August 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by tysteve20 » June 12th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Just ventured to the cougar board thread on this same subject. More are whining about Huntley being so high and the Wilson has already proved himself enough to be better than him. Little to no gripe on the Love ranking though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3593
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Smokin Joe » June 12th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm
jpswensen wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Huntley is so high? I only watched two Ute games last year (against WSU and Pac12 CG), but was wholly unimpressed. His season stats weren't that great either.

12 TDs passing
4 TDs rushing
6 interceptions
decent QB rating (140s)

He seems a perfectly serviceable QB, but the 16th best in the country and only 4 behind Love? Am I missing something?
Huntley’s arm is serviceable, but he’s a dynamic athlete at the QB position.

I beg to differ as to the serviceability of his arm. I think there is a youtube vid or two showcasing some of his his terrible throws. His throwing motion is horrible, but yes, he's athletic.



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3593
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Smokin Joe » June 12th, 2019, 6:09 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Just ventured to the cougar board thread on this same subject. More are whining about Huntley being so high and the Wilson has already proved himself enough to be better than him. Little to no gripe on the Love ranking though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the thread too. It reeks of insecurity. Its just astounding that grown men are so insecure as to have to spill barrels (figuratively) of internet ink trying to convince some unbeliever (no double entendre intended) that their QB is better than the other guy's because the opinion holders who ranked the other guy's QB higher are, well, just plain wrong. When it comes to insecurity, BYU fans are the national champs every year as far as I'm concerned.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
tysteve20



Aggie19
Posts: 393
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 168 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Aggie19 » June 12th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 6:09 pm
tysteve20 wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Just ventured to the cougar board thread on this same subject. More are whining about Huntley being so high and the Wilson has already proved himself enough to be better than him. Little to no gripe on the Love ranking though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the thread too. It reeks of insecurity. Its just astounding that grown men are so insecure as to have to spill barrels (figuratively) of internet ink trying to convince some unbeliever (no double entendre intended) that their QB is better than the other guy's because the opinion holders who ranked the other guy's QB higher are, well, just plain wrong. When it comes to insecurity, BYU fans are the national champs every year as far as I'm concerned.
I have a hard time taking any group of idiots serious when they honestly think Wilson is a Heisman candidate. Great, he had a good game against Northwest Iowa technical college of internet surfing - so what? They're all delusional morons.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7797
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by dyedblue » June 12th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Isn't he still playing for Orem? I heard he had a good game for the Tigers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

BeHURD
Posts: 21
Joined: March 5th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by BeHURD » June 12th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I think this is fair. If Jordan Love would have played more than the first half of the games last year he would be rated higher. Hopefully he can showcase his talents against better teams this year. By the end of the year I think everyone will have him in their top 5.

As for BYU's recovering-from-surgery-heisman-canidate-that-has-beat-two-bowl-elidgible-teams, I guess we will see what they are saying about him Nov. 3 after taking another hard loss to our boys.



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8418
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2918 times
Been thanked: 1631 times
Contact:

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by aggies22 » June 13th, 2019, 7:37 am

BeHURD wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 10:59 pm
I think this is fair. If Jordan Love would have played more than the first half of the games last year he would be rated higher. Hopefully he can showcase his talents against better teams this year. By the end of the year I think everyone will have him in their top 5.

As for BYU's recovering-from-surgery-heisman-canidate-that-has-beat-two-bowl-elidgible-teams, I guess we will see what they are saying about him Nov. 3 after taking another hard loss to our boys.
I hope Jordan had to sit out half of six games again, I like slaughtering our opposition. The NFL will find him regardless. Winning is fun!



Smokin Joe
Posts: 3593
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by Smokin Joe » June 13th, 2019, 8:48 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 7:37 am
BeHURD wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 10:59 pm
I think this is fair. If Jordan Love would have played more than the first half of the games last year he would be rated higher. Hopefully he can showcase his talents against better teams this year. By the end of the year I think everyone will have him in their top 5.

As for BYU's recovering-from-surgery-heisman-canidate-that-has-beat-two-bowl-elidgible-teams, I guess we will see what they are saying about him Nov. 3 after taking another hard loss to our boys.
I hope Jordan had to sit out half of six games again, I like slaughtering our opposition. The NFL will find him regardless. Winning is fun!

Is that what it was, half of six games?? His stats would have been other worldly...



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8081
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by BigBlueDart » June 13th, 2019, 11:55 am

I seem to remember speculation that Sanford would be more likely to leave Jordan in longer. I don't remember who said that, or what their basis was. Heck, maybe I'm even making this up in my head. Anyone know what I'm talking about?



taniataylor
Posts: 1648
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 513 times

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by taniataylor » June 13th, 2019, 4:01 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:55 am
I seem to remember speculation that Sanford would be more likely to leave Jordan in longer. I don't remember who said that, or what their basis was. Heck, maybe I'm even making this up in my head. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I said they will not be doing the switching like last year. Major win margins, we will see some switching up in the 4th, but not the half


Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8418
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2918 times
Been thanked: 1631 times
Contact:

Re: Athlon QB rankings list released

Post by aggies22 » June 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

taniataylor wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 4:01 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 11:55 am
I seem to remember speculation that Sanford would be more likely to leave Jordan in longer. I don't remember who said that, or what their basis was. Heck, maybe I'm even making this up in my head. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I said they will not be doing the switching like last year. Major win margins, we will see some switching up in the 4th, but not the half
I know what I say doesn't matter but they should put up video game numbers and watch most of the second half. It keeps the starters healthy and fresh and keeps the backups engaged and focused throughout the week because they want to do well when they play.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111sam tingey



Locked Previous topicNext topic