NAR - Football Shoulder Pads

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Do any of you have any knowledge about who makes the best FB shoulder pads? Long story short, my youngest has been playing travel tackle football for 4 years now, this upcoming season will be his 5th. He's been invited to play for what amounts to an all star team based in a nearby town that is the feeder program to the best FB team in the area. We agreed to do this because he basically gets a third year at the age and weight class he's been playing at, which is unheard of. So we decided to take that advantage for him. All of the organization he's been with over the past four years have provided shoulder pads and helmets, but with this organization we're on our own. They'll give us some used older stuff they have, but to me it looks like garbage, so I'm buying him some new ones. But the brands and prices are all over the place, and I can't seem to get a good answer from just doing an internet search, so I throw this out there in hopes someone has some experience in this area. Not sure if it makes any difference, but he plays LB (mostly) and TE/TB and he's a youth L (13-14ish).

When I played FB it seems like we have those ridiculously oversize pads that have gone the way of the Dino, but it was kind of like one-style fits all.

Thanks. GO AGGIES!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

newhouse9

Re: NAR - Football Shoulder Pads

Post by newhouse9 » June 26th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Those bulky pads are nuts. My son played in receiver pads as a DEnd/DTackle at Viewmont. They were great, and he was much more mobile. All of the name brands are good...Douglas, Shutt, Ridell, even Zenith has been making pads, and they are nice. We also really liked Rawlings Spartan pads. That's what my son always played in. Great pads.

Good luck!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 26th, 2019, 2:12 pm

There's an Amazon page for Rawlings:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rawlings+sho ... xc4jxcw0_e

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 26th, 2019, 2:34 pm

I was a district president in the Ute Conference for the past 3 years. The Conference is the largest independent football league in the country. When I comes to equipment they really do their research. For kids younger than HS, almost no injuries are related to football pads. I always got either the Riddell Pursuit or Riddell Quest. They should be $65 at most retail. Ute Conference pricing was $42 for the most expensive Pursuit. For helmets I always purchased the Riddell Speed Classic. Ute Conference pricing was $100, so expect retail to be around $150-$180. I was told by the Riddell sales rep that the conference got better pricing than anyone else got because of the volume. If you want a step-up from that, you could go with the youth speedflex. You should expect to pay probably $300 for that. DO NOT buy a used helmet. The Conference mandates that Helmets get factory reconditioned every two years. NEVER let anyone except the factory/Riddell paint the helmet as some paints could affect the integrity of the helmet. Keep in mind that this info is for kids 8th grade and younger. Once you get into HS, you should upgrade to the better shoulder pads and the non-youth helmets.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » June 26th, 2019, 2:41 pm

I have a brand new Zenith, never used, but it's Viewmont cardinal. Great helmets.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 26th, 2019, 3:43 pm

I purchased some Xenith helmets a few years ago for our district and I thought they were okay. Some people didn’t really like them. But I told the new president to just get all Riddell since it’s easier to just have all helmets be the same brand. My son actually came home from practice yesterday with his first helmet in Viewmont Cardinal. He will be in 9th grade, but is playing up for the HS. I had gone back and forth as to buying him a helmet or just using what the school gives him. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked. It’s a few years old but it was reconditioned last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » June 26th, 2019, 5:06 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Do any of you have any knowledge about who makes the best FB shoulder pads? Long story short, my youngest has been playing travel tackle football for 4 years now, this upcoming season will be his 5th. He's been invited to play for what amounts to an all star team based in a nearby town that is the feeder program to the best FB team in the area. We agreed to do this because he basically gets a third year at the age and weight class he's been playing at, which is unheard of. So we decided to take that advantage for him. All of the organization he's been with over the past four years have provided shoulder pads and helmets, but with this organization we're on our own. They'll give us some used older stuff they have, but to me it looks like garbage, so I'm buying him some new ones. But the brands and prices are all over the place, and I can't seem to get a good answer from just doing an internet search, so I throw this out there in hopes someone has some experience in this area. Not sure if it makes any difference, but he plays LB (mostly) and TE/TB and he's a youth L (13-14ish).

When I played FB it seems like we have those ridiculously oversize pads that have gone the way of the Dino, but it was kind of like one-style fits all.

Thanks. GO AGGIES!
I wore my uncle's HS gear all through little league. It was way too big and the face mask just had the 2 bars (which leads to a lot of bloody noses), but it builds character. I might be able to track those down for you if you would like.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
JSHarvey

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 26th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Yea he's got a one year old helmet that we sent in for reconditioning and re-certification. Plus we went from Green and Gold to Navy Blue and Gold.
blueblood wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 2:34 pm
I was a district president in the Ute Conference for the past 3 years. The Conference is the largest independent football league in the country. When I comes to equipment they really do their research. For kids younger than HS, almost no injuries are related to football pads. I always got either the Riddell Pursuit or Riddell Quest. They should be $65 at most retail. Ute Conference pricing was $42 for the most expensive Pursuit. For helmets I always purchased the Riddell Speed Classic. Ute Conference pricing was $100, so expect retail to be around $150-$180. I was told by the Riddell sales rep that the conference got better pricing than anyone else got because of the volume. If you want a step-up from that, you could go with the youth speedflex. You should expect to pay probably $300 for that. DO NOT buy a used helmet. The Conference mandates that Helmets get factory reconditioned every two years. NEVER let anyone except the factory/Riddell paint the helmet as some paints could affect the integrity of the helmet. Keep in mind that this info is for kids 8th grade and younger. Once you get into HS, you should upgrade to the better shoulder pads and the non-youth helmets.
My oldest played in the Ute Conference when we lived in Park City. He enjoyed it but decided he wanted to try Water Polo in HS (after we moved back to Cali) and stuck with that for a year before deciding he was done with sports, focusing on academics instead. Smart for him. My youngest is the national born athlete in the family.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » June 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm

"national born"? That's very impressive. :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
USU78ViAggie

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 27th, 2019, 2:38 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm
"national born"? That's very impressive. :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Saw that too before I read your post. I think I'll keep in there LOLZ

Locked Previous topicNext topic