Mike Favero USU Offense Analyst?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Mike Favero USU Offense Analyst?

Post by Mediocre at Best » June 26th, 2019, 10:47 am

Sorry I am not intending a thread but did not know where to post the question and get an answer. Any truth to the word that GA has hired MF to be an offense analyst whose exclusive role is to watch film and more film to identify opponent's weakness that can be exploited by our offense? If true this is an amazing development. He is the master of film and I expect will be the difference maker that we need in beating Boise State. Excited for the season to begin. If there is anybody in the know please confirm or disconfirm. Thanks.

Roy McAvoy

Re: Mike Favero USU Offense Analyst?

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 26th, 2019, 10:59 am

I have also heard that Favero is in indeed working with USU in an 'offensive consultant' type role.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » June 26th, 2019, 11:22 am

I heard that also from mike

ususports

Post by ususports » June 26th, 2019, 11:27 am

I have heard that the coaching staff has no idea who Mike Favero is. ;)

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 26th, 2019, 11:36 am

This is true. I mentioned it a few months ago but it got buried in a very long thread.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 26th, 2019, 11:58 am

Mike Favero, that is a joke right, when you have Sanford on staff Mike might be ok to pick up coffee

cbingham

Post by cbingham » June 26th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Good for Aggies. Analyst positions will be hugely important. I do worry that it offers a loophole for cash rich programs to outpace smaller programs. Univ of Texas, who I also follow closely, has a large number of analysts on staff including 4 P5 ex head coaches / coordinators. Huge advantage compared to schools like USU who will have budget due 2-3 analysts.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post (total 2):
BleedAggieBlue02AG4U

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 26th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Coach A knows Mike well considering he coached both of the younger Andersen twins.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 26th, 2019, 12:53 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 11:58 am
Mike Favero, that is a joke right, when you have Standford on staff Mike might be ok to pick up coffee
Huge jump from prep to college football, an immense step up. While the "X's and "O's" might be the same on paper, they are much faster than before and the adjustment for coaching at the college level takes some real time. I would expect Mike to be hard pressed to "flip the switch" from successful prep coaching and take this step up to a new level. Nothing against coach Favero, but reality is tough. Oleblu posts reality with his comments.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » June 26th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the confirmation! I am not one to underestimate the acumen of MF. Over the years I have heard there is no one more dedicated and better at breaking down film, targeting a weakness, and crafting a strategy than MF. A film junkie he is. I think Yost as good as he is could have benefited from another set of offensive eyes.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 26th, 2019, 1:19 pm

The better USU coaches through history have relied on local HS coaches for a lot of things. My father, for example, used to coach the kickers in the '60s as an unpaid consultant. For all three coaches, as I recall. It's amazing that they would have actual available funds to make what used to be a volunteer thing worth the while of the HS coaches and retired coaches.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 26th, 2019, 3:15 pm

I don't know if Favero is looking to transition to college coaching, but this seems like a good step.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » June 26th, 2019, 4:14 pm

What makes Mr. Favero all that at the college level?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 26th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Seems like you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. He's an offensive analyst. He's not the OC, let alone a WR coach, or RB coach. By all accounts he's a sharp guy.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 26th, 2019, 4:24 pm

bullshot wrote:What makes Mr. Favero all that at the college level?
I’m guessing as an offensive analyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

Hail Aggies!

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » June 26th, 2019, 4:33 pm

what is the difference of having a coach that coached hs for 20 years on the staff that was considered one of the best at his profession vs a graduate assistant that has about ?? years of experience?
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post (total 3):
aggies22newtonianblueBleedAggieBlue0

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 26th, 2019, 4:52 pm

We have just gone off the rails straight into a realm of stupidity on this thread. If a coach is good at breaking down film and analyzing opponent tactics, he can do that on any level. I have been led to believe that Favero is one of these guys. HS coaches that fail on higher levels are usually guys that relied more on their relative talent advantage at the high school level. Ask Gus Malzahn, Barry Odom, David Cutliffe, Todd Graham, and Art Briles if HS coaches can succeed on the collegiate level.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 4):
Agliciousaggies22CodingAggieBluenewtonianblue

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 26th, 2019, 5:16 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 12:53 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 11:58 am
Mike Favero, that is a joke right, when you have Standford on staff Mike might be ok to pick up coffee
Huge jump from prep to college football, an immense step up. While the "X's and "O's" might be the same on paper, they are much faster than before and the adjustment for coaching at the college level takes some real time. I would expect Mike to be hard pressed to "flip the switch" from successful prep coaching and take this step up to a new level. Nothing against coach Favero, but reality is tough. Oleblu posts reality with his comments.
What do you guys think an offensive analyst does exactly?
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 26th, 2019, 5:17 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Seems like you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. He's an offensive analyst. He's not the OC, let alone a WR coach, or RB coach. By all accounts he's a sharp guy.
You are correct it is not a big deal he is most likely a unpaid analyst. He is not a coach. I will admit that my dislike of him may have been a factor in my post. Why I think so little of him matters not.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 26th, 2019, 8:47 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 12:53 pm
While the "X's and "O's" might be the same on paper, they are much faster than before and the adjustment for coaching at the college level takes some real time.
I think most film equipment in today’s world has pause, rewind, and slow motion functions. As long as someone in the AD can pass on this helpful (but apparently not well known) tip, Mike should be ok.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyChupamediaBleedAggieBlue0

OCDAggie

Post by OCDAggie » June 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 5:17 pm
2004AG wrote:
You are correct it is not a big deal he is most likely a unpaid analyst. He is not a coach. I will admit that my dislike of him may have been a factor in my post. Why I think so little of him matters not.
I suspect oleblu that if you had to post your full name, we'd find a handful of people that think little of you as well!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 26th, 2019, 9:43 pm

OCDAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 9:07 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
I suspect oleblu that if you had to post your full name, we'd find a handful of people that think little of you as well!
I think most people would have folks that dislike them for one reason or another, in my case maybe more than a few. Those that dislike my posts on this board are going to really be upset with me because I find myself bored with much on here, Envy of YBU, is a major item on here, any time anything happens down in Provostan it's is on here in a flash, which I find silly. some fool gets a DUI and posts come out of the woodwork. When I talk about the very poor level of fan and alum support that bothers many, but in my eyes it is the biggest problem facing USU.

I think my problem might be that I did not attend USU, I'm not a member of thee church, so I don't understand why grads and, alums along with the people in Logan do not support their school, I believe it is a good school that deserves support. I also do not understand the envy or hate for YBU. For hell bells they are not as evil towards USU as what the ewe of ewe is

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 26th, 2019, 10:55 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
OCDAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
I think most people would have folks that dislike them for one reason or another, in my case maybe more than a few. Those that dislike my posts on this board are going to really be upset with me because I find myself bored with much on here, Envy of YBU, is a major item on here, any time anything happens down in Provostan it's is on here in a flash, which I find silly. some fool gets a DUI and posts come out of the woodwork. When I talk about the very poor level of fan and alum support that bothers many, but in my eyes it is the biggest problem facing USU.

I think my problem might be that I did not attend USU, I'm not a member of thee church, so I don't understand why grads and, alums along with the people in Logan do not support their school, I believe it is a good school that deserves support. I also do not understand the envy or hate for YBU. For hell bells they are not as evil towards USU as what the ewe of ewe is
This gets repeated a lot on here honestly you’d be hard pressed to find more than one or two people on here who “like” BYU. Nobody is envious of BYU. I don’t see a problem Talking and laughing about a BYU player getting a dui, especially this slow time of year.

BYU and u of u are both evil. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 26th, 2019, 11:55 pm

OCDAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Olen Blutarski. You just got doxxed bro!

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
oleblu111aggiesdotcom

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 27th, 2019, 8:34 am

2004AG wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 10:55 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
OCDAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

This gets repeated a lot on here honestly you’d be hard pressed to find more than one or two people on here who “like” BYU. Nobody is envious of BYU. I don’t see a problem Talking and laughing about a BYU player getting a dui, especially this slow time of year.

BYU and u of u are both evil. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

[
I understand your post, perhaps because I went to school in sheet lake city, and was a season football ticket holder makes my dislike of the lady sheep much like what you folks feel for ybu. The arrogance of not playing USU in either major sports has made them dead to me.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 27th, 2019, 8:39 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 11:55 pm
OCDAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Olen Blutarski. You just got doxxed bro!

You are one funny dude. Olen Blutarski out until later my aggie bro !

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm

One thing that always bothered me about HS coaches is how they waste Freshman and JV years. They take a 210 lbs 5’10” somwhat fat kid and instead of developing them into a position they are framed for they just throw them on the offensive line. By the time they hit varsity there seem to be inefficiencies in size. That formerly fat kid is now a decent shape 240 lbs tiny lineman who can never play. When they could have just accepted losing Freshman football in exchange for a stud linebacker
at varsity. HS coaches don’t properly teach players how to lift, how to foam roll/stretch.

And don’t even get me started on HS basketball with the 6’2” PF/Cs. It’s such a disservice to those kids. Be willing to lose at lower levels to develop better players for varsity and maybe the kid can get a chance to play in college.

I don’t know if Logan HS did this so maybe it’s an unfair rant- but mine did and we had to run the freaking wing because we had no size. We literally had 5 plays.

We ran the wedge up until stopped (a power run up the middle). We then ran 88 super power (outside run) ad nauseum.

With two pass plays thunder and lightning. Guess which direction each play was? And a counter based on 88 super power.

The schools that actually took the time to develop players dominated.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 27th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Most high school coach's get locked into a system that does not change despite not having the kids that can not run that offense or defense. Lineman rarely get the coaching they need.

That said there are some good high school coach's in Utah It is hard to find assistant coach's that are willing to spend the time needed, for little or no coin.I'm ashamed to say I have turned down coach's when asked to help out. Player development takes time, and a lot of effort.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 27th, 2019, 7:30 pm

I think if bringing Favero in to do some film work frees up Mike Sanford to focus on more important things, I'm all for it.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » June 27th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm
One thing that always bothered me about HS coaches is how they waste Freshman and JV years. They take a 210 lbs 5’10” somwhat fat kid and instead of developing them into a position they are framed for they just throw them on the offensive line. By the time they hit varsity there seem to be inefficiencies in size. That formerly fat kid is now a decent shape 240 lbs tiny lineman who can never play. When they could have just accepted losing Freshman football in exchange for a stud linebacker
at varsity. HS coaches don’t properly teach players how to lift, how to foam roll/stretch.

And don’t even get me started on HS basketball with the 6’2” PF/Cs. It’s such a disservice to those kids. Be willing to lose at lower levels to develop better players for varsity and maybe the kid can get a chance to play in college.

I don’t know if Logan HS did this so maybe it’s an unfair rant- but mine did and we had to run the freaking wing because we had no size. We literally had 5 plays.

We ran the wedge up until stopped (a power run up the middle). We then ran 88 super power (outside run) ad nauseum.

With two pass plays thunder and lightning. Guess which direction each play was? And a counter based on 88 super power.

The schools that actually took the time to develop players dominated.
[/quote
It's too bad high School coaches don't have a crystal ball to see how much a player is going to grow from their freshman year to their senior year. If it's not that 5'10 210 lb player on the offensive line then who is going to play Oline?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 2nd, 2019, 11:46 am

I sat next to him at an Aggie game, seemed like a good dude. A little reserved, but he acted interested in my observations of the game. Didn't let on that he was a coach, but he was decked out in Logan HS gear. Someone sitting nearby told me who he was as we were leaving.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » July 2nd, 2019, 11:59 am

oleblu111 wrote:Mike Favero, that is a joke right, when you have Sanford on staff Mike might be ok to pick up coffee
You’re showing a lack of CFB knowledge with this post. CFB is going the direction of having massive shadow staffs (analysts). They hold off-field roles where they analyze film, game plan months in advance, and much more. To have anyone willing to work as an analyst for little to no money is a huge win for Coach A and is a requirement to be successful in CFB in 2019.

These users thanked the author BleedAggieBlue0 for the post (total 2):
aggies22ViAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 4th, 2019, 11:08 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 11:59 am
oleblu111 wrote:Mike Favero, that is a joke right, when you have Sanford on staff Mike might be ok to pick up coffee
You’re showing a lack of CFB knowledge with this post. CFB is going the direction of having massive shadow staffs (analysts). They hold off-field roles where they analyze film, game plan months in advance, and much more. To have anyone willing to work as an analyst for little to no money is a huge win for Coach A and is a requirement to be successful in CFB in 2019.

I am not against analyst's helping the staff, I also realize that this is the wave of the future. Matt Wells had Dave Kragthorpe, help him which, gave him a ex college coach that won a FCS national championship at Idaho State. Smart move on Matt's part.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » July 4th, 2019, 3:21 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 11:59 am

I am not against analyst's helping the staff, I also realize that this is the wave of the future. Matt Wells had Dave Kragthorpe, help him which, gave him a ex college coach that won a FCS national championship at Idaho State. Smart move on Matt's part.
Is this not a smart move by Gary?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 4th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Seeing that you believe that I have a lack of CFB knowledge why does it matter to you what I think ?

Locked Previous topicNext topic