Stadium pre-season rankings

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Stadium pre-season rankings

Post by ineptimusprime » June 12th, 2019, 4:41 pm

This is going to be a great college basketball season for me..

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-b ... 6-12-2019/
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggieaggies22

JSHarvey

Re: Stadium pre-season rankings

Post by JSHarvey » June 13th, 2019, 8:17 am

I love the ranking, but I find it hard to believe that USU could really be in the top 20 in the entire country.

I hope the team proves my "doubts" to be totally baseless! Go Aggies!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 13th, 2019, 9:02 am

Enjoy the ride..It is fun..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
aggies22

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 13th, 2019, 9:43 am

JSHarvey wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 8:17 am
I love the ranking, but I find it hard to believe that USU could really be in the top 20 in the entire country.
Really?

These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » June 13th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I love the included category of “mission-bound”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 28th, 2019, 12:56 pm

For those interested, This is Chris Murray's preseason forecast..

http://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/mens- ... -20-season

SLB

Post by SLB » June 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 12:56 pm

I disagree with his take in that A. Anderson as the lone impact player incoming.
JC transfers - Karwowski , Anderson, and Bischoff
Missed last year because injuries- Grootfaam and Stall
Incoming freshmen- Bairstow and McChesney
Returning from a mission- Dorius
Many incoming upperclassmen would likely be players to have an early impact. Stall and Grootfaam were missed last year since Utah State were thin on depth on forwards last season.
Players who were freshmen last year- Bean, Miller, and Queta
We should improvement from these three since they were freshmen last season and showed talent especially Queta. Queta would like his play to a level of a lotto pick. NBA teams told Queta in what they like to see to improve.
This would have completed the take on Utah State.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 28th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Whaaaaaa' no mention of the other two in-state "rivals?" Odd, I thought they were always better than us, in all sports????

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

SLB wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm
nvspuds wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 12:56 pm

I disagree with his take in that A. Anderson as the lone impact player incoming.
JC transfers - Karwowski , Anderson, and Bischoff
Missed last year because injuries- Grootfaam and Stall
Incoming freshmen- Bairstow and McChesney
Returning from a mission- Dorius
Many incoming upperclassmen would likely be players to have an early impact. Stall and Grootfaam were missed last year since Utah State were thin on depth on forwards last season.
Players who were freshmen last year- Bean, Miller, and Queta
We should improvement from these three since they were freshmen last season and showed talent especially Queta. Queta would like his play to a level of a lotto pick. NBA teams told Queta in what they like to see to improve.
This would have completed the take on Utah State.
I think he is just trying to capture a snapshot of each team in a limited space. His synopsis of USU isn't any longer or shorter than the other teams. I'm sure readers from other teams could say, "yea...but what about this and that."

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 28th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I think he’s underrating New Mexico and overrating Boise.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 28th, 2019, 4:11 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Yea...I thought the same about UNM. Boise may not be overrated, if they get Akot eligible. I was surprised that with all the unknowns that he had Nevada that high. Not sure if it is a bit of homerism or if he knows something from being on the inside.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 28th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
2004AG wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Yea...I thought the same about UNM. Boise may not be overrated, if they get Akot eligible. I was surprised that with all the unknowns that he had Nevada that high. Not sure if it is a bit of homerism or if he knows something from being on the inside.
IMHO, Nevada is the one over rated team, but he needs to promote the home team a bit. UNM could be very good if all that talent comes together. Boise will be much better this year. Hopefully 3-4 teams in tourney.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » June 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I don’t agree with the “will play with a target on their back, unlike last season.”

In the context that this is about the Mountain West, we had proved that we were a very good team by the time conference play came around. Just before conference play started, we were being picked behind only Nevada. Everyone knew we were a top team and brought their best against us. I know we were picked low to start the season but we didn’t sneak up on anyone in conference.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 28th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Nevada does have some unknowns but they do return 6 players recruited by Muss. Some of those guys were sitting out as redshirts, some are returners from last season and Drew is returning. Murray has seen all those guys play a lot so he has a pretty good handle on them. All but one of the new guys is in town and practicing so he has seen them too..The French kid Millings is still playing in Europe.

Alford still has two open scholarships which I expect him to fill fairly soon.

Murray is a straight shooter and not a Nevada homer.

If the season started tomorrow, the rotation might just look like this.

5th year senior Lindsey Drew . PG 6'4

5th year senior Jazz Johnson wing 5'11

4th year junior Jalen Harris wing 6'5 transfer from La Tech

Junior Eric Parrish wing 6'6 transfer from Akron and JC

Redshirt frosh KJ Hymes C/F 6'11

5th year senior Nisre Zouzoua guard. 6'2

Sophomore Robby Robinson forward/wing 6'8 . JC transfer

Freshman Zane Meeks forward/wing 6'9

Freshman Kane Millings PG/wing 6'4

Excellent experience in the backcourt but quite green in the front court.

Should be a very good shooting team, particularly from 3 and solid defensively. The question mark may be rebounding.

I would guess the top scorers will be Harris, Parrish and Jazz. Crew appears to have recovered quite well and is an excellent pass first PG and probably the best perimeter defender. Hymes filled out a bit during his redshirt year and he should do pretty well. I would guess that Alford will add another big to back him up and bang a bit.

I think this is clearly a transition year for Coach Alford but I do think, if healthy, they should be near the top of the MW when all is said and done. Hopefully, by the end of the season those green youngsters up front will be playing their best basketball.
Jjoey53

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 28th, 2019, 6:55 pm

scotlandog wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm
I don’t agree with the “will play with a target on their back, unlike last season.”

In the context that this is about the Mountain West, we had proved that we were a very good team by the time conference play came around. Just before conference play started, we were being picked behind only Nevada. Everyone knew we were a top team and brought their best against us. I know we were picked low to start the season but we didn’t sneak up on anyone in conference.

If you are ranked from the beginning of the season and stay ranked it changes the dynamic quite a bit. In the ooc part of the season schools will really want to take down a ranked team.. Once the conference season starts you will likely represent the only quality win available to your conference mates. The MW is no longer one of the top mid majors and I suspect they will be down again this year. The Aggies will be the super bowl game for most of your opponents. Murray was not dissing you or your team from last year. He is praising your team..

You guys are the Big Fellas now. That does bring a lot of respect but it also brings extra pressure.

Jjoey53

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » June 28th, 2019, 9:27 pm

nvspuds wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:45 pm

If you are ranked from the beginning of the season and stay ranked it changes the dynamic quite a bit. In the ooc part of the season schools will really want to take down a ranked team.. Once the conference season starts you will likely represent the only quality win available to your conference mates. The MW is no longer one of the top mid majors and I suspect they will be down again this year. The Aggies will be the super bowl game for most of your opponents. Murray was not dissing you or your team from last year. He is praising your team..

You guys are the Big Fellas now. That does bring a lot of respect but it also brings extra pressure.

No I didn’t think it was a diss. I was just saying that once conference play started, it was Nevada clearly as the top team but I think people were also circling the USU game on their calandras. We had enough quality wins before conference that we weren’t sneaking up on teams. They knew who we were and what we were trying to do. We were also the only other quality win besides Nevada so teams were gunning for us.

Granted though, Nevada, due to their ranking had packed crowds and intense environments every game. I do agree with your point and if we are ranked it will be like that for USU. I don’t think we were necessarily flying under the radar last year but it will be more intense this year.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 28th, 2019, 10:38 pm

It is hard to explain but when you are the big dogs all the pressure is on you. You didn't fly under the radar last season but you also weren't the top team until late in the year. Teams will be absolutely delighted to wreck your season if they can. It is remarkably hard for any mid major to stay in the top 25 all season. People will expect you to not only roll through your schedule but to also win multiple games in in the tourney. Because you are such massive and overwhelming favorites any stumble will be magnified. The losses hurt more. The pressure just builds and builds. It is fun but exceedingly stressful for fans.

The Pack went through this last year and it was great. Every game was crucial. Most seasons that isn't the case. I suggest you enjoy the ride but like every other MW fan I will be rooting very hard for my school to wreck your season.. And that comes at you every night.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » June 29th, 2019, 8:59 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:48 pm
5th year senior Jazz Johnson wing 5'11”
Hey Spuds,
Since he came off the bench last year as a shooter (and a very good one) I didn’t pay much attention to his defense. Can he play M-m for 30 minutes? Will teams be able to exploit his size?

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 29th, 2019, 9:45 am

Jazz played 28.6 minutes a game this past season. He did pretty well defensively..Taller players can shoot over him but he is very quick and can stay in front of guys.

In Mussleman's system all the guys switched all the time so Jazz had times where he was switched to bigs. I am not sure Alford will do as much switching so Jazz may be guarding players closer to his own size.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » July 2nd, 2019, 11:45 am

Chris Murray clarifying his preseason picks.

"http://nevadasportsnet.com/sports/mens- ... -20-season"

I do think he is correct that you are overwhelming favorites. He also says the rest is a crapshoot, saying that he could place NV anywhere from 2 to 6th..

I do think for seeding purposes you will need to absolutely clean house in the ooc because the MW appears to be way way down even in comparison to last season..

I don't think any team goes undefeated in the MW because of the travel but I will be very surprised if you lose more than a game or 2 in conference..
IdaAg93

Locked Previous topicNext topic