BYU, USU, BSU Joining AAC?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Re: BYU, USU, BSU Joining AAC?

Post by ViAggie » June 26th, 2019, 12:50 pm

/s

We could form a 23 team super conference with them? Better yet kick out Hawaii and SJSU and keep it at 21?

/s

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm

It's about a 32 hour drive from the east coast to SLC and then Provo,,,,,not a booster friendly jaunt for anyone. Too many time zones apart, near zero institutional history with ACC schools, and the financial hemorrhaging for moving the Olympic, non revenue sports makes that potential a non starter except for filling column inch requirements.

The folks in Provo don't have a proven reputation for institutional loyalty, so buyer beware. See their established history through the Skyline, WAC and MWC conferences..... A snake will bite and is a liability as a bed mate.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 4):
USU78JSHarveyLKGatesaggies22

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 26th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I love me some Tulsa (I am an alum after all), but from a football and basketball perspective, they don't move the needle much, even for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

sneed

Post by sneed » June 26th, 2019, 5:20 pm

OKAggie wrote:BYU fans: "We should only consider joining the AAC if they allow us to postpone bringing our football until 2023 so we can avoid paying cancellation fees to the teams we've already scheduled".

Also BYU fans: "Why do people insist that we're difficult to work with?"
I thought they are always in the conversation for a Big12 invite because they could jump immediately....

Chatman

Post by Chatman » June 26th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Hmmm, I like the MW as well, however.....IF the AAC were to become a P5 conference and invited those three programs in order to make it happen, I think it would be a no brainer. You do it. When else would USU ever be invited to sit at the power conference table? It won’t happen, but if it did there wouldn’t be much of a choice. You do it.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » June 26th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I’m fine if Donkey State leaves the conference. They actually don’t help MWC members financially anyway because they almost exclusively keep any additional revenue that comes to the conference to themselves through the horrendously unequal and shortsighted deal put together last time they flirted with the big least. Hair shouldn’t have let them come back the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 26th, 2019, 8:30 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:I’m fine if Donkey State leaves the conference. They actually don’t help MWC members financially anyway because they almost exclusively keep any additional revenue that comes to the conference to themselves through the horrendously unequal and shortsighted deal put together last time they flirted with the big least. Hair shouldn’t have let them come back the first time.

Unfortunately for now they bring respect, attention and credibility to the conference as a whole.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » June 26th, 2019, 8:49 pm

2004AG wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:I’m fine if Donkey State leaves the conference. They actually don’t help MWC members financially anyway because they almost exclusively keep any additional revenue that comes to the conference to themselves through the horrendously unequal and shortsighted deal put together last time they flirted with the big least. Hair shouldn’t have let them come back the first time.

Unfortunately for now they bring respect, attention and credibility to the conference as a whole.

All the respect/attention/credibility is just used to get more money. And if the donkeys are the only ones getting the money from the increase in respect/attention/credibility then I don’t care if they leave.

These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
NVAggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 26th, 2019, 8:53 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
2004AG wrote:

All the respect/attention/credibility is just used to get more money. And if the donkeys are the only ones getting the money from the increase in respect/attention/credibility then I don’t care if they leave.

They aren’t the only ones.

Would you rather we associate with San Jose State and New Mexico ?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 26th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Of course they bring more money just look at the attendance conference members get for BSU .

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » June 26th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Don't know why anyone from Utah even thinks about this. One it won't happen and second it shouldn't happen. It only makes sense for Boise as football only and even with that, they'd be giving up their sweetheart uneven rec share model. It only makes sense for BYU as football only as well. Having football only schools is a really bad look for a power conference. They would be better off contracting a smaller TV market than doing football only.

Also, market size still matters in TV negotiations. There's a reason that San Diego St was part of the Big East talks. No offense, but the Logan, UT TV market isn't making anyone think twice. If the AAC were serious about going west, they shoot for Colorado St, BYU and then Boise

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » June 26th, 2019, 9:58 pm

2004AG wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Boise takes the vast majority of the money and what they leave then gets cut 11 ways. More than WAC but a pittance in comparison to what Boise takes. If the deal was split evenly then I’d want Boise to stay. It isn’t so I don’t care. The ‘prestige’ they bring to the conference helps them much more than it does the rest of the conference. I want the unequal deal to end so all ships can rise equally on the same tide. Right now only Boise rises. And for the record, USU is already associated with San Jose and New Mexico. I’m happy with USU in the MW but, for the reasons I stated, don’t care if the donkeys leave.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 26th, 2019, 10:49 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
2004AG wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Boise takes the vast majority of the money and what they leave then gets cut 11 ways. More than WAC but a pittance in comparison to what Boise takes. If the deal was split evenly then I’d want Boise to stay. It isn’t so I don’t care. The ‘prestige’ they bring to the conference helps them much more than it does the rest of the conference. I want the unequal deal to end so all ships can rise equally on the same tide. Right now only Boise rises. And for the record, USU is already associated with San Jose and New Mexico. I’m happy with USU in the MW but, for the reasons I stated, don’t care if the donkeys leave.

We can agree to disagree. They are assholes and the deal sucks but they benefit the conference. It’s the same thing with BYU. They are bigger assholes than Boise but they would bring more eyeballs and prestige to the conference.....and that benefits Utah State. It benefits us to be in a conference that is the best G5 or close to it. It benefits us to be in a conference with a team that is perennially top 25.

Boise sells out Romney stadium in November.

A little of something is a lot better than a lot of nothing.....

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 26th, 2019, 11:21 pm

What could happen is the zoobs joining, as a football only, this is what the AAC boards are hoping for. I told them to be careful what they wish for. Let the zoobs take their drama east.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 27th, 2019, 8:30 am

TV markets:. If nobody in your market watches your team and they're mostly indifferent, then who cares about market size. Sjsu is the perfect example.

California is a very peculiar state when it comes to college sports. (, Hopefully they don't ruin everything with their new bill). Pac12 schools are the only ones that matter besides the valley where Fresno has relevance. That includes sjsu and SDSU.

Boise is a little beast as it relates to tv because they have an audience. Byu is the same but It's different for byu because their audience is ignorant of everything not byu so their audience, it's like having a bunch of zombies watching, thus the nickname zoobs.

I think it's much wiser for a conference to look for regional rivalries and associations with some history. That carries a lot of weight in the long term. That's where the greatest value and culture is found in college athletics. That's why the wac was never going to work and it's why the aac is also doomed if they start looking so far west.

Fans will say that rivalries can be built but I disagree. Rivalries built that way only last as long as a school has a good coach. Then it dies when they hire a dud.

In short, the way the mwc is constituted besides sjsu is perfect. The mwc should've found a way to make unm happy with the addition of nmsu even if it required unm taking more revenue than nmsu.

UtesAggs>BYU
Has thanked: 0

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » June 27th, 2019, 9:27 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 8:30 am
TV markets:. If nobody in your market watches your team and they're mostly indifferent, then who cares about market size. Sjsu is the perfect example.
Markets matter until all cable and satellite companies disintegrate and everyone is streaming. Let's use Comcast and the SLC/Provo/Ogden/Logan region as an example. As a Utah fan, I want to be able to watch all my team's games and I'm willing to pay a certain amount each month to do so. Now, the Pac-12 negotiates with Comcast a price/month it is willing to receive from users and Comcast negotiates which TV package it will offer the channel on. So if Comcast decides they will offer that package on the very basic package offered to customers, well then every, single person that signs up for Comcast is paying the Pac-12 money, regardless if they watch a single game.

So, back to why the markets matter. Utah has a population of 3.2 million, of which 2.5 million live in areas of local colleges (Utah, SL, Weber, Davis, Cache counties). So if every one of those people subscribe to Comcast's basic package, then every single one of those people would be paying the Pac-12, just because a slice of that pie is Utah fans and want the Pac-12 Networks or FS1 or Fox or ESPN. So throwing non-market stuff aside, the Pac-12 inviting BYU with Utah makes absolutely zero sense. Why? Well because Utah already brings all those households, regardless of how many BYU fans there are. AND inviting BYU means 1 more mouth to feed without additional revenue. So just using round numbers, if the fee for the Pac-12 Network is $1/month, the Pac-12 would bring in $2.5 with or without BYU. But that money would have to be split 12 ways still if BYU was invited. So why not go get a different market (Denver) and still split it 12 ways, but have additional revenue.

Markets do matter and there would be no reason to invite both Utah St and BYU, when BYU by itself would carry that entire region. And the same could be said for your UNM, NMSU statement. There's a reason why the Pac-12 isn't expanding anytime soon. There are no markets large enough to justify it. They already have all of California, so SDSU and Fresno bring nothing additionally. Adding the Boise market isn't big enough to add revenue. Vegas is within the Pac-12 footprint as well. The ONLY way expansion makes sense is to move east into Texas. Why do you think the Big 10 chose to invite Rutgers (RUTGERS!), well because the bring the NY/NJ TV market

By the way, this is also why BYU fans argument that they bring so much is false. Sure they have fans everywhere, but not enough to move the needle outside of the SLC/Provo region. Every one of their fans in the Big 12 footprint already pay the Big 12. The members on the East Coast would be like adding a couple Utah counties.
Last edited by UtesAggs>BYU on June 27th, 2019, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 27th, 2019, 9:28 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm
It's about a 32 hour drive from the east coast to SLC and then Provo,,,,,not a booster friendly jaunt for anyone. Too many time zones apart, near zero institutional history with ACC schools, and the financial hemorrhaging for moving the Olympic, non revenue sports makes that potential a non starter except for filling column inch requirements.

The folks in Provo don't have a proven reputation for institutional loyalty, so buyer beware. See their established history through the Skyline, WAC and MWC conferences..... A snake will bite and is a liability as a bed mate.
This is why I'm all in favor of the BYU-P Tigers joining the AAC. They'll kill it off within 10 years.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
JSHarvey

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm

With respect to getting into bed with BYU regarding any sporting decision, and based on the history of them being backstabbers when it furthers their sporting cause, I will use a popular video that was likely produced by their students/alums/equipment from a long, long time ago. In other words, "DON'T DO IT!"

These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
USU78

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 27th, 2019, 2:07 pm

The message: don't ever, ever, ever agree to help someone with a history of bad behavior. Straight out of the beatitudes. Matthew 5:9/Nephi 8:39/D&C 112:45.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 27th, 2019, 3:13 pm

BYU has never been happy where it is, and is always convinced that the grass is greener on the other side. That is fine, but conferences should take that history into account and make decisions accordingly. They screwed the WAC more than once, they screwed the MWC, and at the first opportunity they will screw the WCC and the AAC. When the Utes left them behind, they stamped their feet and went home. I hope we never hitch our wagon to them.

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
USU78NavyBlueAggieJSHarvey

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 27th, 2019, 4:33 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm
With respect to getting into bed with BYU regarding any sporting decision, and based on the history of them being backstabbers when it furthers their sporting cause, I will use a popular video that was likely produced by their students/alums/equipment from a long, long time ago. In other words, "DON'T DO IT!"

It's always great to listen to parables told by former Utah State basketball players like "Little Bob Harbertson" especially when we know that the snake represents BYU.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
jpswensen

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 27th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:BYU has never been happy where it is, and is always convinced that the grass is greener on the other side. That is fine, but conferences should take that history into account and make decisions accordingly. They screwed the WAC more than once, they screwed the MWC, and at the first opportunity they will screw the WCC and the AAC. When the Utes left them behind, they stamped their feet and went home. I hope we never hitch our wagon to them.

It’s because they don’t live in my house, greenest grass around. Thanks IFA!Image

Hail Aggies!

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » June 28th, 2019, 1:03 pm

In a rare listen to DJ and PK this morning, they were talking with the AAC commissioner and he basically said BYU is not going to the AAC. He said they are happy with 11 schools about 20 times in the 10 minutes I listened. He was definitely trying to be polite to the dorks when they were basically asking him if BYU were a possibility.

bazinga22

Post by bazinga22 » June 29th, 2019, 5:15 am

I'd rather stay in MWC, doesn't make much sense joining the AAC.The state of Florida would be good recruiting base but its very far away geographical wise and the Georgia's Wisconsin's Ohio State's Clemson's Alabama's all flock there for talent.Easier to recruit in MWC.

Locked Previous topicNext topic