Top 5 MWC recruits

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: Top 5 MWC recruits

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 19th, 2019, 2:23 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 10:43 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 11:18 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 5:29 pm
I'm no lawyer, but does the ranking matter all that much? Maybe to get a job initially, but once you have that job, your school doesn't matter all that much, right? Unless you wanna be a supreme court justice, maybe, then it's good to go to Harvard. idk
For certain first jobs, your law school’s ranking matters a little.

The ranking that matters the most though is your class ranking, because legal hiring is largely regional and based on class ranking (meaning the lion’s share of Idaho lawyers even at the “bigger” Idaho firms went to U of I) KU is a “higher ranked” law school than U of I, but if anything, I felt that going to KU counted against me for certain law jobs in Idaho (just my feel based on interview questions).

IMO, best thing to do is to go to the best, most affordable school in the geographic area you’d like to work in and get yourself into the Top 10% to 20% of your class. Otherwise, you might come across as a carpetbagger.

Put another way, you’d be much better served going to BYU or Utah law if you want to work in Utah or U of I if you wanted to work in Idaho than forking over gobs of money for a Stanford, Harvard, etc. law degree.

There are a million different opinions on this, but this is mine.
After 17 years of practice in Chicago (at a litigation boutique for three years, a mid-size middle market firm of 250 lawyers for 10 years, and at a global firm with 4200 lawyers for four years), I hung up my spurs in 2011 and became a legal recruiter. While firms in tertiary markets tend to be less snobbish about your law school's ranking, certain firms in major markets simply do zero recruiting from any law schools outside the top tier. Summer associate classes consist almost entirely of students from top-tier law schools, and only a very small percentage of their class comes from a 2d- or 3d-tier school. And in those cases, you literally have to be the a top 5 student in the entire class to get a look from those firms. While many top firms will go pretty deep into the class rankings at top-tier schools, they will rarely go below the top 5 at a lower tier school.

In a tertiary market (SLC, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, et al.), the story is a bit different. In those markets, ineptimus's advice is likely generally correct in that the cost of going to Stanford is going to be a lot higher than the cost of going to BYU or Utah, and average partner compensation in Utah is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than compensation in, say, Silicon Valley or New York ($350K-$400K average partner compensation in SLC versus $1.2M-$1.5M in places like Silicon Valley and NYC; also average compensation for all attorneys in Utah runs between $75,295 and $99,564 -- compare that to the STARTING salary of $190,000 for a first year associate at most AmLaw 100 firms). Firms in Utah may not view someone who grew up in Utah and left to attend a top-tier school with a desire to return to practice in Utah as "carpet-bagger," but they will definitely have questions about why someone would go pay $60K in annual tuition (not to mention room and board) at Stanford versus $11K at God's school (which they probably attended and was good enough for them), only to return to Utah where compensation is SO much lower than in a major market. You'd better have a good story and good reason to want to return to Utah from a top-tier and far more expensive law school.

That said, attending a top tier law school is something you can hang your hat on for the rest of your career. It definitely carries a lot more weight when you are meeting with a potential client for the first time to say you attended Stanford or Harvard than the University of Idaho (or whatever). It gives you an immediate credibility that you may have to work a little harder to earn if you attend a lower-tier law school.

That is also true if you might look to move into an in-house role later in your career. My firm does more in-house placements than anyone in the world, and I can tell you that a significant percentage of clients seeking a new GC ask for only those candidates who attended at top 10 or top 20 law school.

IMHO, unless you are certain you want to spend your career in a regional or local firm in a tertiary market, you are almost always better off going to the best law school you can get into. I believe the investment pays off in the long run.
I guess I agree with most of this.

One thing — I’m not sure I agree that it is amost always better to “go to the best school you can get into,” because I’m not sure what that means. Are you saying the best school you can get into based on the current but ever-fluctuating U.S. News rankings? If so, I just disagree with that (my law school has fluctuated between the 50s and 80s in USNWR rankings since around 2012). I definitely agree that you go to Harvard over U of Idaho unless you are 100% certain you want to live in Idaho, but I’m not sure it would really ever make financial sense for a kid from Utah to pay sticker at a WashU, Indiana, Emory, etc. when a student who could get into those schools could likely go to BYU or Utah for free or close to free. I guess it just depends on what you mean by “best law school.” If you get into a truly elite law school (Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Chicago, etc.) and your goal is to make it rain above all else, then yes, go to the elite school. When you start comparing schools ranked in the 20s with schools ranked in the 40s or 50s, I think the evaluation becomes a lot more nuanced than “go to the highest ranked school.” Career goals, geography, etc. might make a big difference.

Full disclosure — I didn’t have the LSAT score to get into any truly elite school coming out of undergrad. However, after 1L year at KU, I applied and was admitted as a transfer student at a Top 20 law school. I ultimately decided to stay at KU though when I considered my career and personal goals. I knew I didn’t want to bill 2500 hours per year and had no desire to live in a big city (which, apparently, is rare for millenials). I enjoy the smallish town I work in, the billable hour expectations at my firm, and the quality time I get to spend with my wife, kids, and extended family. Even my firm of about 60-70 attorneys would feel too big, but I have the benefit of working in a satellite office with only 4 other attorneys. I also have a relatively guaranteed partnership track and the benefit of already being the succession plan for a couple of attorneys with some great clients. Had I transferred to the top 20 law school and tripled the cost of my law school tuition, I would have priced myself out of taking my current job that I love.

TL;DR — I think we are both right in a sense. The real correct answer is law school choice totally depends on your career goals and personal situation. Your advice is right on for the person who wants to work in a big city at a big firm. That just wasn’t and isn’t ever going to be me. I would not trade my situation with an associate at a large firm in New York, Chicago, etc. I’m sure they’d say the same, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Also, I’ve never had a client ask where I went to law school. Maybe that’s just an Idaho thing, but nobody here (members of the bar or otherwise) seems to care much where you went to school. Maybe that’s cuz we all jus a buncha toothless country bumpkins. :joking:

Double also — you are all welcome for turning this Boise troll thread into a riveting discussion about law school. :)

I was middle of my class at a top 72 law school and found a job easier than a lot of people in the top 10% did. But generally I think it's better to be top 10 in a bad school than middle third at a good not great school, unless those schools have a monopoly on the region you want to work like byu-p or Utah. I'm certainly making more now than I would have after even 10 years in Utah anyway, but I kind of lucked out.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 19th, 2019, 9:28 am

You would be surprised at the power of a Law Degree from the University of American Samoa Law School.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78ineptimusprime

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 19th, 2019, 9:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 11:48 pm
One thing — I’m not sure I agree that it is amost always better to “go to the best school you can get into" . . . The real correct answer is law school choice totally depends on your career goals and personal situation. Your advice is right on for the person who wants to work in a big city at a big firm. . . .
Which is why I said "unless you are certain you want to spend your career in a regional or local firm in a tertiary market, you are almost always better off going to the best law school you can get into." So if you are certain you want to spend your career in a smaller firm in a tertiary market, I think it is probably better advice to attend the school that makes the most financial sense at the time. As far as parsing between the 50th and 80th ranked schools, I agree, probably not many firms or clients do that, but the majority either expressly or implicitly note the difference between a top 20 school and a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tier school.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 10:47 am

ChicAggie wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 9:39 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 11:48 pm
One thing — I’m not sure I agree that it is amost always better to “go to the best school you can get into" . . . The real correct answer is law school choice totally depends on your career goals and personal situation. Your advice is right on for the person who wants to work in a big city at a big firm. . . .
Which is why I said "unless you are certain you want to spend your career in a regional or local firm in a tertiary market, you are almost always better off going to the best law school you can get into." So if you are certain you want to spend your career in a smaller firm in a tertiary market, I think it is probably better advice to attend the school that makes the most financial sense at the time. As far as parsing between the 50th and 80th ranked schools, I agree, probably not many firms or clients do that, but the majority either expressly or implicitly note the difference between a top 20 school and a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tier school.
I think we’re on the same page then.

For me, the elite law school was not attainable until after 1L year and only at a cost that was not worth it given my career goals. I knew the major market big firm lifestyle was never going to be desirable or sustainable.

Another big thing that turned me off from transferring was losing my spot on law review and my good class ranking. I generally agree with Quack that career prospects for someone in the Top 10% to 15% and law review/moot court at a second tier school are at least comparable to someone in the middle of the pack at schools ranked lower than the top 15 or so. You are just more limited in geographic market. For example, I know KU grads in the top part of the class were just as competitive for big Kansas City firms as anyone else.

One of my classmates just finished clerking for N. Randy Smith (9th Circuit Judge). Others got federal clerkships in the D. Kan. and Missouri federal districts.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on February 19th, 2019, 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 10:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 9:28 am
You would be surprised at the power of a Law Degree from the University of American Samoa Law School.
It can get you a gig at Hamlin Hamlin & McGill, so long as you don’t have a jerk older brother that doesn’t believe in you.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieAggie_in_Idahosneed

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 19th, 2019, 10:59 am

I agree with Chic. If you can get into a T14 school, and maybe not even every T14 school as UT Austin does not carry the same weight as Columbia, NYU, etc., then it is usually worthwhile to go there unless you know you want to work in SLC or Portland, etc. for your career. Even then, it can be worth it. I ended up at BYU and then did a Tax LLM at NYU and was very happy with that combo. I was very close to going to UVA, USC, or UCLA for my JD, but didn't want to pay sticker there to work in Salt Lake and NYU opened doors in bigger markets if I wanted that.

I do recruiting for our firm and we pretty much only recruit the T20 and BYU and Utah, though there are exceptions. We would welcome recruiting more broadly but that is generally a reflection of our applicants. The T20 students are generally those with Utah connections that want to come back. I think that is generally true for larger Salt Lake firms.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
ChicAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 11:02 am

Intermeddler wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 10:59 am
I agree with Chic. If you can get into a T14 school, and maybe not even every T14 school as UT Austin does not carry the same weight as Columbia, NYU, etc., then it is usually worthwhile to go there unless you know you want to work in SLC or Portland, etc. for your career. Even then, it can be worth it. I ended up at BYU and then did a Tax LLM at NYU and was very happy with that combo. I was very close to going to UVA, USC, or UCLA for my JD, but didn't want to pay sticker there to work in Salt Lake and NYU opened doors in bigger markets if I wanted that.

I do recruiting for our firm and we pretty much only recruit the T20 and BYU and Utah, though there are exceptions. We would welcome recruiting more broadly but that is generally a reflection of our applicants. The T20 students are generally those with Utah connections that want to come back. I think that is generally true for larger Salt Lake firms.
I agree with the T14 cutoff. It’s when you get to schools in the high teens and 20s that it starts to get really dicey.

For example, I got into WUSTL as a transfer after 1L year at KU, but decided to keep my scholarship, class ranking, and law review at KU over forking over the gobs of money to WUSTL. I don’t regret that choice, especially during college basketball season.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
ChicAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 19th, 2019, 11:17 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 11:02 am
Intermeddler wrote:

I agree with the T14 cutoff. It’s when you get to schools in the high teens and 20s that it starts to get really dicey.

For example, I got into WUSTL as a transfer after 1L year at KU, but decided to keep my scholarship, class ranking, and law review at KU over forking over the gobs of money to WUSTL. I don’t regret that choice, especially during college basketball season.
Yeah I think you made the right choice. We had a couple transfer students join my class from UNLV and Gonzaga. I think the jump from Gonzaga was worthwhile. Not sure about UNLV. BYU is so cheap though it was probably a big win for them as far as that goes. Are you at Hawley now? PM me if you would rather.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 11:22 am

Intermeddler wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 11:17 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Yeah I think you made the right choice. We had a couple transfer students join my class from UNLV and Gonzaga. I think the jump from Gonzaga was worthwhile. Not sure about UNLV. BYU is so cheap though it was probably a big win for them as far as that goes. Are you at Hawley now? PM me if you would rather.
Yep.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Intermeddler

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 19th, 2019, 12:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

T14 may be a fair cutoff. I often use "T20" as shorthand, but when it comes right down to it, T14 is probably a more accurate cutoff. But it does depend somewhat on geography. For example, I think Wash U plays better at Chicago firms than UCLA, UT Austin, USC, or Vanderbilt, but probably not as well in California, Texas, or Nashville. Chicago firms will also favor #24 Notre Dame over most of the high-teens schools. It certainly has more cachet in this market than going to, say, Minnesota, which ranks higher.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 19th, 2019, 12:36 pm

I would also note that in Chicago, most firms do not distinguish much between Loyola Chicago (#65), IIT Chicago-Kent (#85), and DePaul (#128). So it seems that below a certain point, it probably will not matter much to your career whether a school is in the 60s, 80s, or 100s.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » February 19th, 2019, 12:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 10:49 am
NVAggie wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 9:28 am
It can get you a gig at Hamlin Hamlin & McGill, so long as you don’t have a jerk older brother that doesn’t believe in you.
Go Land Crabs!
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
ineptimusprimeNVAggieChicAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 19th, 2019, 1:21 pm

and here I'm just a Marketing/Advertising Account Manager.....sheesh

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm

taniataylor wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Ha! At least you have “manager” in your title. That’s more than I can say!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 19th, 2019, 1:26 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 1:23 pm
taniataylor wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Ha! At least you have “manager” in your title. That’s more than I can say!
It's really just a fancy way to salesperson....haha :joking:

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 19th, 2019, 1:57 pm

I hate that I keep clicking on this thread forgetting that it’s about lawyers not the top 5 MWC recruits.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 1:57 pm
I hate that I keep clicking on this thread forgetting that it’s about lawyers not the top 5 MWC recruits.....

Don't forget Marketing/Advertising Account Manager too

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 19th, 2019, 3:18 pm

taniataylor wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm
WAaggieFan wrote:

But what's the best Marketing/Advertising Account Management school?

Aggies All the Way!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 19th, 2019, 3:28 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 3:18 pm
taniataylor wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 2:01 pm
WAaggieFan wrote:

But what's the best Marketing/Advertising Account Management school?
LOL. I'm just a small time high school grad who has been selling advertising since I was 16

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 3:49 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:

To be fair, it was never REALLY about the top 5 MWC recruits.... It was a Boise troll thread.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 3:49 pm
WAaggieFan wrote:

To be fair, it was never REALLY about the top 5 MWC recruits.... It was a Boise troll thread.
I move all threads started by Bazinga turn into law school discussion threads. He will depart the board in no time.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 4:31 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 3:49 pm
WAaggieFan wrote:

I move all threads started by Bazinga turn into law school discussion threads. He will depart the board in no time.
I concur....

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 19th, 2019, 6:55 pm

I third the motion. I considered moving to expand the motion to changing the topic to anything a Boise State alum would have trouble following, but that’s just too many things. We’ll stick with law school.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieIntermeddler

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

What is Orange, black and white and looks good on a lawyer?

a Doberman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 29th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 29th, 2019, 11:24 am
What is Orange, black and white and looks good on a lawyer?

a Doberman.
Hey!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » June 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Ok, lawyer time. Not sure why, but my son with a EE degree decided to go to law school specializing in patent law. Apparently field that EE’s are pursuing due to $$. He chose university of New Hampshire, due to the 95% scholarship they offered and while they come in the mid 80’s in most reviews, they do better for those targeting patent law. Amongst you Aggie lawyers, I’m curious about input on that career direction.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Top 5 MWC recruits

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 29th, 2019, 7:43 pm

WAAggie wrote:Ok, lawyer timeImage. Not sure why, but my son with a EE degree decided to go to law school specializing in patent law. Apparently field that EE’s are pursuing due to $$. He chose university of New Hampshire, due to the 95% scholarship they offered and while they come in the mid 80’s in most reviews, they do better for those targeting patent law. Amongst you Aggie lawyers, I’m curious about input on that career direction.

He's going to be rich if he does well in law school and gets a job in that field. Assuming he keeps that scholarship all 3 years, it'll pan out for him with little debt even if he does so so in school.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » June 29th, 2019, 7:51 pm

I think tuition is like 48 and his scholarship is 43. He has his moms smarts and dads competitiveness. He did his EE in 4 years and was a div 1 scholarship swimmer so he knows how to manage time and study.

I just want Aggie season tickets for payback if I ever get back to Utah

GUS

Post by GUS » June 29th, 2019, 8:48 pm

My law school offered me a scholarship like that. Little did I know at the time that I had to maintain a ridiculously high gpa for the full scholarship to continue for all three years. Although I did okay as far as class ranking my gpa was not quite high enough and my scholarship got reduced a bit each year.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » June 29th, 2019, 8:52 pm

I’m sure there are some strings. George mason, George Washington and Virginia were on his list, but no such finance help from them.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 29th, 2019, 10:38 pm

WAAggie wrote:Ok, lawyer timeImage. Not sure why, but my son with a EE degree decided to go to law school specializing in patent law. Apparently field that EE’s are pursuing due to $$. He chose university of New Hampshire, due to the 95% scholarship they offered and while they come in the mid 80’s in most reviews, they do better for those targeting patent law. Amongst you Aggie lawyers, I’m curious about input on that career direction.

My Brother in law is a patent attorney with a degree in mechanical engineering. He is probably about 14 years into his career. He is an equity partner at his firm and probably makes around of $150-$200.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » June 30th, 2019, 7:41 am

Wow, not what I was expecting.

Ok, I have a law school question too... My daughter (at USU) will be applying to law school next year. I think her application will be pretty competitive. Right now she wants to be a prosecutor and get into public service. I'm concerned that she will pay way way too much for law school (and therefore have huge student loans) for the salary that she will make as a public servant. Any thoughts on what type law school should she be looking at?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 30th, 2019, 7:54 am

Byu-whatever shouldn't be ranked higher than anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » June 30th, 2019, 8:05 am

My take — the most affordable school in the region she would like to work in. They do have loan forgiveness options for public interest jobs, but those can come with a pretty big tax bomb at the end.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 30th, 2019, 9:16 pm

A friend that graduated from law school a few years after me is working on his 10 years in government service, after which the balance on his federal student loans will be forgiven. According to him, there is no tax hit as there typically is with loan forgiveness. I am not sure if the same plan applies to prosecutors/public defenders/legal aid attorneys, but if your daughter plans on that she should verify it before she starts. I graduated about two years before this became an option or I may have considered it.

Unless you graduate from a T25 school, your job options are really limited to within a 3-hour drive from where you graduate. I came east mostly due to my wife being from the D.C. area and have stayed out here for the last dozen years, although we are both open to moving back west (me more than she is).

I will neither encourage nor discourage anyone from attending law school. My advice is more practical in advising what school is really like, including the costs, and the post-graduation compensation expectation. With a bachelors in EE and practicing patent law, you can make bank depending on the job location. As a prosecutor/public defender/legal aid attorney, the compensation makes it hard to live, especially if you have a family.

Locked Previous topicNext topic