Phoenix commits to the tank

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 21st, 2019, 9:52 am

They signed Jimmer through the rest of the year. Team option for next year.

Here's my prediction on his stats:

4 minutes per game
3 points per game
35% on threes
1 assist per game
.5 rebound per game

Not brought back next year.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 21st, 2019, 10:42 am

If they were serious about tanking, he would start and play 25-30 minutes per game. They would also have him guarding the other teams top scoring guard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Re: Phoenix commits to the tank

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

I can't believe the media staying power that Jimmer has. How are we still talking about him? About once a month the DesNews has a big article about him.

Really good college player, bad NBA player, inexplicable media sensation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 21st, 2019, 1:59 pm

There is 0 question in my mind that Jimmer is good enough and was good enough to be in the NBA. There is also 0 question in my mind that he is better off from a basketball perspective in China.

However, there could be a million non compensation related reasons why he would end his career in China and restart his career in the US.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 1st, 2019, 10:14 pm

Not all bad teams are tanking. Some bad teams are just bad. The Phoenix Suns are one of those teams.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 2nd, 2019, 5:26 am

Imakeitrain wrote:There is 0 question in my mind that Jimmer is good enough and was good enough to be in the NBA. There is also 0 question in my mind that he is better off from a basketball perspective in China.

However, there could be a million non compensation related reasons why he would end his career in China and restart his career in the US.
Jimmer more than got his shot in the NBA. He is a fringe player at best buy is not a guy that will help any franchise win games or he would not be a star in a China. Compare that to Jaycee Carroll who we don't think it's an NBA player, but we don't know because he wasn't drafted and given at least for chances.

Hypothetically, who in the Jazz would Jimmer guard? Rubio, Mitchell? Both would tear him apart. What about Ingles or Korver? Both are 6'7"-6'8 and could shoot over him all day long. He can't guard any of those guys.

Let's f flip it around, which of those guys do you take out to play Jimmer? He would not see the court in Utah. I stunt know enough about other rosters to know how he would fit, but the results would be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 2nd, 2019, 7:32 am

He would sell tickets in Utah though.

Jaycee and Jimmer are a poor comparison. Jimmer was younger when he was drafted and came out in a low talent draft. Jaycee went on a mission and was older. I think he is doing just fine in Spain.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 2nd, 2019, 9:59 am

Jammer is a wooden Indian on defense and a decent NBA defender can blanket him. If he is lucky he could catch on as a 12 th man somewhere next year. He is in China as he is not good enough to play in the better Euro leagues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 2nd, 2019, 10:07 am

NVAggie wrote:He would sell tickets in Utah though.

Jaycee and Jimmer are a poor comparison. Jimmer was younger when he was drafted and came out in a low talent draft. Jaycee went on a mission and was older. I think he is doing just fine in Spain.
They don't need Jimmer to sell tickets in Utah. They have streak of something like 70 consecutive sellouts going.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 2nd, 2019, 3:23 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 5:26 am
Imakeitrain wrote:There is 0 question in my mind that Jimmer is good enough and was good enough to be in the NBA. There is also 0 question in my mind that he is better off from a basketball perspective in China.

Jimmer more than got his shot in the NBA. He is a fringe player at best buy is not a guy that will help any franchise win games or he would not be a star in a China. Compare that to Jaycee Carroll who we don't think it's an NBA player, but we don't know because he wasn't drafted and given at least for chances.

Hypothetically, who in the Jazz would Jimmer guard? Rubio, Mitchell? Both would tear him apart. What about Ingles or Korver? Both are 6'7"-6'8 and could shoot over him all day long. He can't guard any of those guys.

Let's f flip it around, which of those guys do you take out to play Jimmer? He would not see the court in Utah. I stunt know enough about other rosters to know how he would fit, but the results would be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmer is good enough for a roster spot in the NBA. The people just on the other side of that line are still excellent basketball players. No Jimmer isn't an NBA superstar. But you're comparing starters- even starters and guys that get significant minutes to Jimmer. If you compare Jimmer to other guys getting similar minutes playing similar positions Jimmer isn't completely overmatched.

As I said, he probably is better off in terms of $ and playing ability in China. But there are tons of reasons why someone would choose to live in the USA as opposed to China. (and vice versa)

AgMac

Post by AgMac » April 4th, 2019, 8:32 am

I spoke with a friend who lives in the Phoenix area about the Jimmer signing. He said the following two things are absolute facts:

1. The Suns are trying to tank and they know that signing Jimmer won't result in them winning more games. He didn't go so far as to say they would lose more with Jimmer, but he said everyone knows Jimmer wasn't signed to help them win.

2. By signing Jimmer, the Suns are going to sell 1,000 more tickets to every home game during the rest of this tank year because of all the Phoenix area Mormons.

Seems like a good business decision by the Suns.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 4th, 2019, 10:30 am

#3 - He came cheap.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 4th, 2019, 10:36 pm

If they really want to tank that bad, I'm available. I'll sign for half of Jimmer's contract plus a 6 pack of bud light after a game.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 11th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 10:36 pm
If they really want to tank that bad, I'm available. I'll sign for half of Jimmer's contract plus a 6 pack of bud light after a game.
Why wait until after the game for the 6 pack when you get replace your gatorade with it and drink it during the game?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » April 12th, 2019, 8:54 am

Since the Suns season is over, here is the Jimmer update.

Predictions:
4 minutes per game <- 10 mpg (played in 6 of their 10 games)
3 points per game <- 3.5 ppg
35% on threes <- 0% 3P% (0-13)
1 assist per game <- 1.3 apg
.5 rebound per game <- 1.2 rpg

Heres some advanced stats:
.276 eFG%
75 ORtg (high is good)
117 DRtg (low is good)

Yeah probably not getting brought back.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » April 12th, 2019, 9:47 am

Did they sell more tickets during their tank though?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 12th, 2019, 10:39 am

Anyone know when he's heading back to China?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 26th, 2019, 9:50 am

Jimmer's +/- in the two games he played against the Jazz was obscenely bad. It was something like -48. Looks like it came up slightly over the other 4 games. In a total of 6 games (65 minutes played) his team was 38 points worse than their opponents with him on the floor.

Some have postured about whether Jimmer would help with a tank job or not. The answer is yes, he contributed negatively to even one of the worst teams in the league.

His win shares per 48 minutes measurement (-.166) was the lowest of any player that played on the Suns this year for a total of more than 5 minutes (there were a total of 24 players who came through that disaster of an organization).

His box +/- (per 100 possessions) was -11. That was the worst value of any player that played on the Suns this year for a total of more than 5 minutes (there were a total of 24 players who came through that disaster of an organization) .

His defensive box +/- (per 100 possessions) was -3.5, the second worst on the team behind Jamal Crawford. His offensive box +/-

His offensive box +/- (per 100 possessions) was -7.6, also the second worst on the team behind a guy named Jawun Evans who played a total of 7 games for the organization.

The Jimmer Fredette phenomenon is a very interesting one to me. He was a good college player, yes. The guy did win the national player of the year award which vaulted him into a hyped up lottery pick. The Sacramento Kings acquired him via trade in the draft from Milwaukee (a decision that they surely rue to this day). Jimmer-mania in BYU fanboy Mormonville was probably to be expected during his college career. The crazy part to me is how it has continued despite his complete embarrassment of an NBA career. He's one of the biggest draft busts in the last decade.

But BYU fans are very strange. They mix religion and sports just like they mix religion and studies there. And correlating your religion to your sports team can make you do strange things. Jimmer seems to personify the great Mormon hope. Similar to how Shawn Bradley did back in the day. Both were considered busts, but Shawn actually had a lucrative long career in the league.

It was embarrassing to me (and the Utah Jazz players) when Jimmer received a standing ovation after his team got beat by 33 points and he went 1-10 from the field with a +/- of -25 in only 14 minutes of play. Rudy said it best in the postgame inteview "I think it's a relgion thing or something":

I don't think the BYU fans will ever give it up. After Lillard hit that insane game winner I saw a couple tweets wondering why Lillard never got embraced in Utah like Jimmer did. I saw a twitter account posting on that topic called "Jimmer Time" or something and assumed it was a parody. I clicked through it to see that they had been posting Jimmer's stat lines from his games with the Suns, designing actual graphics most of which started with "0 Points" at the top. I laughed and then realized that it wasn't a parody account. It was followed by hoards of Jimmer fanboys who were posting things like "He still hasn't been given a fair shot" or "Jimmer's going to take the NBA by storm next year". It was pretty sad.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » July 2nd, 2019, 2:07 pm

Jimmer finished the NBA season 0-13 from 3 point range for the Suns.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » July 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

918AGG wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 2:07 pm
Jimmer finished the NBA season 0-13 from 3 point range for the Suns.
...and he *still* gets a spot (for the summer, at least) with the WARRIORS :crazy: :crazy:
Hope springs eternal...the zoobies are sure: *THIS* is the perfect situation for the jimmer :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 2nd, 2019, 6:29 pm

Looks like Sam is poised to break some of the Jimmer's records this year:

https://mwwire.com/2019/06/29/five-moun ... n-2019-20/
Last edited by BigBlueDart on July 3rd, 2019, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » July 3rd, 2019, 9:56 am

I'm assuming you meant "poised". I doubt he is pissed.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 3rd, 2019, 10:24 am

NVAggie wrote:
July 3rd, 2019, 9:56 am
I'm assuming you meant "poised". I doubt he is pissed.
Stupid phone keyboard! Yeah, but Jimmer might end up being pissed.

Locked Previous topicNext topic