Scotty G

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie06
Has thanked: 0

Scotty G

Post by Aggie06 » August 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Does Scotty as our play-by-play guy concern anyone else? He does a great job on the call, but he almost completely forgets the Aggies during the week. I understand he has his day job, but the play-by-play guy should NOT be focusing on any other school. No matter what. Is this unreasonable?

I know a lot of Aggie faithful had complaints about Al, myself included, but I miss him. I miss his Aggie passion. I miss his unwavering support for the Aggies and the Aggies alone. He messed up the call, was often hard to follow, but his love for the Aggies is second to none. His disdain for BYU and Utah is also without question, as it should be. At this point, Id trade him for Scotty G in a heartbeat.

He was our guy and he should continue to be our guy!

Thoughts?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Scotty G

Post by BigBlueDart » August 16th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I think Scotty does pretty well representing the Aggies. He's even started a podcast (Aggies All the Way) this past summer that has been pretty good. His tweets are pretty focused on the Aggies. I guess I don't really listen to sports radio much, so I don't always know what he's talking about there, but if he's on a show that isn't just dedicated to USU then you're going to expect him to discuss other teams in state. And I don't have a problem with that.

Also, I resent BYU and Utah to a degree, but I really resent the idea that you have to resent them to be a true Aggie.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0ProvoAggie

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » August 16th, 2019, 2:41 pm

I have no concerns about Scotty G. I love what he's doing. He's releasing more and more content for us fans. I feel like media content is at an all time high between his podcast, Wild Bill's and now KSL's Matt Glade is getting in the mix. I believe our coverage has had an upward trend since he took over. He also has to continue to do his day job to bring home the bacon. If he could make what he does now and only provide Aggie content, I bet he would. I don't think that's a reality now or probably ever. But he seems to be working crazy hours to keep bringing us more and more content. I like what he's doing and hope we don't move him off the call.
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0sneed

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » August 16th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I don't think it needs to be a requirement for our radio voice to hate anyone. Scotty has started a podcast dedicated to all things Aggie where he very openly states that the Aggies are his first love and passion. He can't do that as openly on 1280, and neither does Hans for that matter. They give us more state-wide coverage than we ever dreamed of before them. The podcast is something we never had before, he does every coaches show, and MC's for a lot of our events. I think he is doing a phenomenal job, and I trust him as a passionate Aggie. He is also a professional and doesn't openly discuss his distaste for any other programs in the state.

All that being said, I loved Al Lewis and would welcome him back as the voice of the Aggies in a heart beat. That doesn't take anything away from Scotty though.
These users thanked the author AggieVoice for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 16th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Listen to the Aggie Legends podcast. That should make you feel better about Scotty G. I don’t listen to 1280 at all. I only know of the content based on what I hear on this site.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0QuackAttackAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 16th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Al Lewis is a small-time announcer for a small-time school. There is a certain production value and competence expected of a D1 school.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganMike_Child

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 16th, 2019, 2:56 pm

The coverage USU gets from Scotty G. on 1280 the zone is light years ahead of Al and KVNU.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Madmartigan

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 16th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Aggie06 wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Does Scotty as our play-by-play guy concern anyone else? He does a great job on the call, but he almost completely forgets the Aggies during the week. I understand he has his day job, but the play-by-play guy should NOT be focusing on any other school. No matter what. Is this unreasonable?

I know a lot of Aggie faithful had complaints about Al, myself included, but I miss him. I miss his Aggie passion. I miss his unwavering support for the Aggies and the Aggies alone. He messed up the call, was often hard to follow, but his love for the Aggies is second to none. His disdain for BYU and Utah is also without question, as it should be. At this point, Id trade him for Scotty G in a heartbeat.

Thoughts?
Why would we care what the play-by-play announcer does in his/her spare time? Does he call the plays accurately and understandably? Cause that's what matters the most.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » August 16th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Aggie06 wrote:Does Scotty as our play-by-play guy concern anyone else? He does a great job on the call, but he almost completely forgets the Aggies during the week. I understand he has his day job, but the play-by-play guy should NOT be focusing on any other school. No matter what. Is this unreasonable?

Thoughts?
This is BYU fan level insecurity. Scotty is a great Aggie and does a great job standing up for and fitting the Aggies into any conversation he can on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Aggie06 wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Thoughts?
Scotty is a Great Aggie who happens to have a job that requires him to cover the Two other schools more heavily than USU. If Scotty was “only Aggies” he wouldn’t have his job. He has to cover the ewe and the why. THATS HIS JOB. However, because he works in the Salt Lake market he can do much more for Utah State than Al could only dream of. I got to become good friends with his parents....and they are great Aggies too. Thank goodness for Scotty G and Riley Jensen!!
Last edited by mcaggie1 on August 16th, 2019, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » August 16th, 2019, 3:17 pm

His job requires him to cover all the schools. A position in any SLC media outlet of any kind that covers Utah State and Utah State alone probably doesn’t even exist.

Scotty is an Aggie through and through and seems like a pretty good guy to boot. He talks about other schools because it’s his job to know what’s going on throughout the state and to talk about it all, not out of any disloyalty to the Aggies.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 16th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Scotty G is awesome. Al Lewis drove me nuts. Basketball games were near impossible to listen to. I think Scotty does a great job.

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » August 16th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Scotty G is his radio personality where he rarely covers USU.

Scott Gerard is his radio personality where he's the biggest USU homer on the airwaves.

It's fine.
These users thanked the author paaron46 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttsneed

Twitter: @AaronPeck

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » August 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I love Scotty G and/or Scott Gerard. I think he does a fantastic job at both his jobs and no, I am not related to him in case you were wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » August 16th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Scotty G is the man. He does a fantastic job as the play-by-play voice of the Aggies.

And I also loved Al.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 16th, 2019, 3:52 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Listen to the Aggie Legends podcast. That should make you feel better about Scotty G. I don’t listen to 1280 at all. I only know of the content based on what I hear on this site.
^^ THIS.^^ If you have any doubts, go listen to him as a guest on Wild Bill's Podcast. He talks about the line he has to walk as a radio broadcaster and the crap he sometimes reads and takes from fellow Aggies on that subject. The guy is all AGGIE all the time. Also, he gives Al all the props in the world and admits he never had any goal or aspiration to replace him. Scotty even says he would step aside if there were a way that Al could return as the voice of the Aggies.

That being said, I have to question anyone who longs for the return of Al. He was fine for his time but whether he likes it or not, his time is done.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 16th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Scotty G, if you're reading this, you have an A in my book.

The "What the Hell just happened?!?!" moment was my favorite radio moment ever. :lol:
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttbigblue

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » August 16th, 2019, 4:00 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 3:54 pm
Scotty G, if you're reading this, you have an A in my book.

The "What the Hell just happened?!?!" moment was my favorite radio moment ever. :lol:
That was definitely quite the moment.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 16th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Scotty G does a fantastic job at both his jobs.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 16th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Oh that we could live in a world where being the voice of the Aggies is all one needed to live well. I think Scotty G would call that heaven.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 16th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I don’t care about the announcers so much as the station. Aggies are the 3rd most important college football team on the station and are also behind the Jazz.

The new sports station would make them a priority, too bad the powers that be in town didn’t see the future.

It is what it is, the one thing I don’t like is the poor reception from the local stations.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » August 16th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I think he needs a big "A" tat on his forehead. Then some fans will know for sure he is a hard core Aggie. No, that's probably not enough...this is beyond silly. Go Aggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeNo

Post by BeNo » August 16th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Scotty G gives THE BEST ENEMA!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Good to have Al’s family members checking in! Tell Al looked great teeing off from number 10 at the country club last week!

Hail Aggies!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Love listening to Scotty G, class A man and all Aggies! His interviews and game calls are very well done.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Aggie06 wrote:Does Scotty as our play-by-play guy concern anyone else? He does a great job on the call, but he almost completely forgets the Aggies during the week. I understand he has his day job, but the play-by-play guy should NOT be focusing on any other school. No matter what. Is this unreasonable?

Thoughts?
Yes, your expectations of our play-by-play guy are absoluy unreasonable. Scott does a great job and is a good Aggie.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

IwannaWhiiin
Been thanked: 0

Post by IwannaWhiiin » August 16th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Scotty G is an incredible entertainer. I try to listen to his show everyday for the pure entertainment factor. He makes me laugh. He makes me cry. Not that he’s ever cried but whatever. Haha.

Scotty, keep up the good work. As you can tell from all the posts above mine, we don’t like ya.... we love ya!

What the hell just happened!!! Wham bam can of ham!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 16th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Love Scotty G!

Would honestly rather miss an Aggie game entirely than listen to Al Lewis. Again, he was absolutely terrible.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
BustaMcNutt

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » August 16th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Just got a chance to listen to the podcast, which is unusual for me to listen this late in the week. Great listen. I have enjoyed Scotty G immensely. I was lucky enough to listen to his broadcast for the Colorado State game while I was working. You can tell he loves the Aggies. One thing I have noticed is he is completely himself when he is on the radio. I don't understand the logic of bashing on him for what his job is. While I have many memories of Al Lewis that I will never forget, I'm going to have just a many with Scotty G. I still from time to time listen to Al's pregame and post game shows for nostalgic sake. But I always listen to Scotty's post game the next day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » August 17th, 2019, 3:07 am

Love Scotty G calling our games... hope it continues for years to come!

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 17th, 2019, 5:50 am

Scotty and Hanz are my favorite small town news guys around. Love there show.

If you listen to their show scotty talks quite a bit of Aggies. For example yesterday he said that jaylen Warren will end up being a major impact guy. To start the season he may be the number 3 running back but hearing great things about him and expects him to end up being the number 2 as the season progresses.

Also has recently said that he feels very good about the receivers as Mariner and Repp look very good and also expects the slots to be solid. He thinks you will see Repp split out at times.

He is however still concerned about the oline. Overall great listen imo.

Btw as a complete side note. Gordon monson loves Jordan love. Fantastic to hear him talk about him. He had an awesome article last year about him and in a lot of his interviews will ask people what they think about Jordan love. His interview with Jordan in 1280 recently was also pretty good and entertaining.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
WAAggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 17th, 2019, 9:11 am

If only Scotty G could handle the livestock auction report and the Smithfield Industrial softball league he could be a true Aggie and be worthy of the job of play by play guy.

I've met Scotty G several times. He's all Aggie and does a great job of providing his listerners the coverage they tune in for.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aceofspadeskb

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » August 17th, 2019, 10:30 am

Scotty G is an amazing dude and I love having him call our games. I bet you truly have no understanding of the things Scotty has done to promote the aggies behind closed doors. He openly discusses his role in getting Donovan Mitchell to the football game last year on the Aggie Legends podcast. He has done more than most to promote the aggies. Go Scotty G!!

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 17th, 2019, 10:46 am

Jjoey53 wrote:I don’t care about the announcers so much as the station. Aggies are the 3rd most important college football team on the station and are also behind the Jazz.

The new sports station would make them a priority, too bad the powers that be in town didn’t see the future.

It is what it is, the one thing I don’t like is the poor reception from the local stations.

As far as this goes, we now have 15% of a watermelon whereas we could have 80% of a raisin on the new sports station. Listenership needs to be accounted for.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 2):
oleblu111BustaMcNutt

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » August 17th, 2019, 11:49 am

Serious question, do we make more money from the raisin's 80% or the watermelons 15%? Ticket Sales, Merchandise Sales ect. I would guess the raisin wins ( I honestly have no clue). I personally have hated the radio contract and I am located here in the Salt Lake City area nothing against Scotty or Al. Mainly because my cell phone bill is way more expensive during the football and basketball season because once I hit Brigham City both going and coming to games I have to stream the content. While it used to be that I could just use both radio stations to and from the game. And when I am home listening to the coaches shows I am usually home so I can stream via wifi. Scotty did say during his interview with Wild Bill is the biggest complaint they have received is being to listen live on the radio in Cache Valley. They are trying to come up with solutions such as live radio on the university's station. I am very excited for all of the podcasts currently. It is easier now than ever to get aggie sports coverage because of the multiple podcasts. So I think this issue in a way is resolving itself.
Anyway, does anyone know the numbers of season ticket holders in Cache Valley vs. the Wasatch Front?

Locked Previous topicNext topic