Bag check policy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Bag check policy

Post by brownjeans » August 17th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I don't know if I'm slow to this or if it's news. But I can't recall it discussed on here. Seems that they are instituting a new bag-check policy this season. They handed out fliers about it today.

You can read about it here https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/2019 ... olicy.aspx
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
sneed

dyedblue

Re: Bag check policy

Post by dyedblue » August 17th, 2019, 11:31 pm

It's stupid and could lead to ridiculous lines like Boise. I'm sorry, but when there are three November games in going to have to pack multiple borrowers in with me. No I'll have to carry them all in my arms instead of having a backpack to help.

All this is to eliminate outside did being bright in under the guise of improved security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 18th, 2019, 12:34 am

Those see-through bags they're requiring next season will become brittle and broken the first time they get exposed to a cold-weather game.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 18th, 2019, 6:07 am

brownjeans wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:34 am
Those see-through bags they're requiring next season will become brittle and broken the first time they get exposed to a cold-weather game.
Alot of stadiums already have the clear bag policy and sell bags that are clear so people can buy them and be in compliance with that. We will do the same.

Some players families have clear bags they bought from USC that they had to buy for that game.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » August 18th, 2019, 9:03 am

I agree with what the other person said.. This is just their way to sell more concessions and even sell clear bags.. They are getting it across under a guise of safety, but this is a ploy. I'm going to be mad if they don't let me bring in a thermos. That poses zero safety risk to anyone except their wallets.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 18th, 2019, 11:31 am

Between the free concession items for Hurd plus students, high school volunteer run concession stands, a shortage of concession stands, and this policy, the concession lines this year will be unbearable.

Big downgrade to Maverik Stadium this year.

Fix the other items and I'm fine with the bag policy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ususports

Post by ususports » August 18th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I realize the “no outside food” is not a new thing, but it has never been enforced. Oleblu (aka the police chief in charge of cheap person identifier) will disapprove of this post. However, the clear bag policy makes it a lot less enticing to bring young kids to the game. Kids want to eat snacks constantly, but they are picky too. I’m not going to spend a fortune on concessions only to have my kids get in one of their “moods” where they stubbornly turn down what I bought, and yet at the same time, complain that they don’t have anything to eat. That is the DAILY reality of kids, and if I can’t (Oleblu close your eyes and stop reading now) “sneak” fruit snacks, granola bars, and whatever else my kids might want to keep them occupied for 3+ hours, the next best solution is to not bring them.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyjpswensen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 18th, 2019, 12:07 pm

ususports wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:03 pm
I realize the “no outside food” is not a new thing, but it has never been enforced. Oleblu (aka the police chief in charge of cheap person identifier) will disapprove of this post. However, the clear bag policy makes it a lot less enticing to bring young kids to the game. Kids want to eat snacks constantly, but they are picky too. I’m not going to spend a fortune on concessions only to have my kids get in one of their “moods” where they stubbornly turn down what I bought, and yet at the same time, complain that they don’t have anything to eat. That is the DAILY reality of kids, and if I can’t (Oleblu close your eyes and stop reading now) “sneak” fruit snacks, granola bars, and whatever else my kids might want to keep them occupied for 3+ hours, the next best solution is to not bring them.
This what pockets were designed for. That or bag them up and fold them up inside of a loosely held blanket.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
TheAKAggieBigVBAgFistBumpcsinos

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm

ususports wrote:
One thing the school needs to do is get more and better concession options.

Security is a big concern for any University event, Believe me the legal folks at the state level are worried about security, and will push for clear bag policy at all Universities. They also do not want liquor brought into venues. they have liability if they do not enforce the rules. The ewe started this in 2018

If one wants to bring kids, and they need food all the time perhaps they could tailgate, and fill them up before the game sneak in a few candy bars or what ever, or buy club seats where food is given away.

Even as a kid when my ole man took me to games I went to watch the aggies, I did not go for a picnic. My kids went to aggie games with me they would get something from concessions, but if they did not like popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, or some candy they were out of luck. So I guess I do not understand the big concern.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
donlarson8FistBump

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

Security is a big concern for any University event, Believe me the legal folks at the state level are worried about security, and will push for clear bag policy at all Universities. They also do not want liquor brought into venues. they have liability if they do not enforce the rules. The ewe started this in 2018

If one wants to bring kids, and they need food all the time perhaps they could tailgate, and fill them up before the game sneak in a few candy bars or what ever, or buy club seats where food is given away.

Even as a kid when my ole man took me to games I went to watch the aggies, I did not go for a picnic. My kids went to aggie games with me they would get something from concessions, but if they did not like popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, or some candy they were out of luck. So I guess I do not understand the big concern.
Have you ever tried giving a 2 year old a hamburger? I think you’re one of many individuals that were a parent years ago but completely forgot that kids are not mini adults.

Does my 2 year old care about football, you may ask. Occasionally. She likes the band, likes it when the crowd gets excited, likes to meet big blue, but other than that she enjoys reading books or watching movies on an iPad while eating crackers and drinking milk. “Why bring her?” may be your follow up question. Answer is because I truly have 1 full day a week to spend with my family and I value that. Over time she’ll care more and more about the game, but until then I’ll be sneaking in fruit snacks and cheese nips and milk bottles. 8:30 kickoffs I do get a babysitter, just not fair to her or anyone else as the last thing I’ll let her do is disturb anyone else around me. Even if that means missing part of the game to take laps around the stadium.

These users thanked the author bigwilly087 for the post (total 2):
USU78Usu0505

Turtle

Post by Turtle » August 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

Have you ever tried giving a 2 year old a hamburger? I think you’re one of many individuals that were a parent years ago but completely forgot that kids are not mini adults.

Does my 2 year old care about football, you may ask. Occasionally. She likes the band, likes it when the crowd gets excited, likes to meet big blue, but other than that she enjoys reading books or watching movies on an iPad while eating crackers and drinking milk. “Why bring her?” may be your follow up question. Answer is because I truly have 1 full day a week to spend with my family and I value that. Over time she’ll care more and more about the game, but until then I’ll be sneaking in fruit snacks and cheese nips and milk bottles. 8:30 kickoffs I do get a babysitter, just not fair to her or anyone else as the last thing I’ll let her do is disturb anyone else around me. Even if that means missing part of the game to take laps around the stadium.

Keep doing it!!! My dad did this to me and as a kid after halftime I'd ask if we could go home and we'd go, even though I'm certain he was bummed about it (thankfully it was the 2000s, so it isn't like it was THAT exciting).

Now I'm a super fan, and he and I still go to every game together, despite being grown and out of the house. I have always cherished this time with my dad, so keep at it! Find ways to sneak in the food for them!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 18th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Tailgating solves all these problems.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 3):
oleblu111donlarson8aggies22

Hail Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 18th, 2019, 3:48 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

Hell I do not care if anyone brings kids, however I would never bring a 2 year old to a football game, because when mine were that young they really did not want to go, and watch football plus I would not have liked to baby sit. I took my son to aggie games when he was about 8 years old which was when he had started to play little league football. He actually kept game stat's we had a great time, and still go to aggie games. My daughter did not really care to go so we found other things for her to do on the 5 or 6 weekends of aggie football, she now goes up to games and tailgates.

Again if folks want to bring their kids good for them, but do kids that young really want to spend 3 to 4 hours at a college football game ? I know mine did not. If people have real young children that want to be there and are not much of a disturbance then by all means go for it. I did need to change seats when this guy brought a kid that did not want to be there and bothered all those around him.

If folks want to sneak food into the stadium and it does not bother their conscience great.

Guys they have vendor's that sell all kids of food in the south endzone. so you do not need to use USU concession's.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
FistBump

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 18th, 2019, 5:26 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

A HUGE postive shout out for this dedicated AGGIE DAD!!!!!!

Keep up the good work - hopefully the Athletic Department will come to its senses and modify this policy!

Home brought snacks and refillable water bottles should be allowed! :-(

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 18th, 2019, 5:27 pm

A side note/laugh. I thought the title of this thread was a new "Bad Check" policy and I was really confused (for a few seconds) when I started reading the comments. :-)

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 18th, 2019, 7:04 pm

I may or may not have brought a propane heater into the Mav multiple times. This policy displeases me...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 18th, 2019, 7:13 pm

People like to complain about the concessions at Aggie football games but I just don't see it I have been to many stadiums throughout the country including 10 or so power five stadiums. Are concessions the best at Aggie football games certainly not but they are certainly not that bad as well, they have a good selection. As far as lines go I like to go to the game about an hour beforehand and the lines are never long at that time. Also midway between quarters isn't that bad as well. I don't have a problem with the bag check policy they're just trying to keep people safe is all. A lot of the other big-time stadiums already do it so it's not that big of a deal. One thing I know is that people will always find an excuse or complain about anything.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
FistBumpoleblu111bigblue

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 18th, 2019, 7:13 pm

A CCW permit trumps the policy so I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish from a safety position. I suspect the real reason is to prohibit the importation of outside food and drink. Because of food allergies, I rarely buy anything at the game anyway. I wonder how they would respond to a someone with medical conditions who pushed back? They also need to have a waiver for someone with smaller kids and kid snacks it’s only common sense and builds good will and the next generation of Aggies.

JH’s email is commonly available. A professional email to him may provide some helpful compromise.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 18th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I went to the Weber State playoff game last fall. I carried a blanket (not unusual as it was cold with a breeze) and the staffer at the gate had me lay my blanket out on a large table while he turned the blanket over a couple of times as he was looking for something inside the blanket. What a waste of time,,,I finally had a moment of "CLARITY" with this staffer and his fruitless search for nothing stopped.

Yes, lines are time consuming, and searching folks for whatever the imagination of the day can conjure will burn lots of time. I expect as the season goes and aggravation of paying fans grows, the searches become less pedestrian and much shorter.

If the searches become a hassle or an obnoxious time burner, I will just send my unused season tickets back to the A D with my explanation that I can watch or listen without the hassle at the gate.

Full

Post by Full » August 18th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Mike and Ike’s and nibs fits nicely unpackaged in separate ziplock bags in my pockets. Lots of room in my hoodie pocket when it’s cool. I’ll miss bringing in my own coffee to the cold games. Maybe an Ibis stand will show up for the late season games. I usually buy drinks and some nachos or some ice cream at the concession stands.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 18th, 2019, 9:18 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 6:07 am
brownjeans wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:34 am
Alot of stadiums already have the clear bag policy and sell bags that are clear so people can buy them and be in compliance with that. We will do the same.

Some players families have clear bags they bought from USC that they had to buy for that game.
I had a one of the clear bags and on a cold day at strawberry reservoir I went to put a flashlight in it and the light fell straight through the bag. I don't know at what temperature they become brittle, but I can confirm first hand that they become brittle if they get too cold and the temperature at which they become brittle is higher than conventional bags.

Just a warning.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

It literally takes more than an hour to get through the gates in Boise last year. A few years ago at the last bowl game there they wouldn't even let me in with a small camera bag - and it was raining. I had to walk more than a mile to my car to put my nice camera away.

At BYU it is a little faster, but they made everyone throw away even the smallest of water bottles.

This is not a safety thing at all. Sorry. It just isn't.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 18th, 2019, 10:03 pm

“Minimum wage guilded cage.”

Hail Aggies!

bpd

Post by bpd » August 18th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Of all the things to complain about....

I understand the food allergies, other than that I don't understand this thread. Most the nation does this, it is finally catching up to Utah State. You can still sneak food/alcohol in your pockets if done correctly. Yes, you may have to get their earlier depending on the Utah State staff.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
TrueBlueAggie123oleblu111

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 18th, 2019, 10:23 pm

bpd wrote:Of all the things to complain about....

I understand the food allergies, other than that I don't understand this thread. Most the nation does this, it is finally catching up to Utah State. You can still sneak food/alcohol in your pockets if done correctly. Yes, you may have to get their earlier depending on the Utah State staff.
Yeah I get that it’s done all over the place, but the lack of these policies is something I appreciated about Logan and USU games. At the end of the day I’m still going to attend games, but with no catalyst for the change I wish they weren’t doing it. It’s not like there have been belligerent drunken fights in the stands every week that they’re trying to combat by screening for alcohol. It’s either a money grab to force their concessions, or it’s someone seeing security policies elsewhere in the country and figuring we need to adopt the same “just because”.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 18th, 2019, 10:27 pm

I could take a soft sided cooler into Wrigley...

For me it's not about the food. I could care less.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 18th, 2019, 10:37 pm

dyedblue wrote:I could take a soft sided cooler into Wrigley...

I had season tickets to the Pittsburgh pirates and they were the same way. Could bring in food that fit in a small soft sided cooler and sealed water bottles (no other beverages). This was prekids for me so the only food I would ever bring in is peanuts, but this is how most of mlb works and they still do full security checks

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 18th, 2019, 10:42 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 10:37 pm

I had season tickets to the Pittsburgh pirates and they were the same way. Could bring in food that fit in a small soft sided cooler and sealed water bottles (no other beverages). This was prekids for me so the only food I would ever bring in is peanuts, but this is how most of mlb works and they still do full security checks

Same with Camden Yards in Baltimore. They would check the soft-sided cooler, but it was awesome.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 18th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Hail Aggies!

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 18th, 2019, 10:46 pm

jpswensen wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Same with Camden Yards in Baltimore. They would check the soft-sided cooler, but it was awesome.
Yeah it is nice. Below is the Pirates official policy. If they adopted something similar I’d be fine with the whole security checks thing, however the clear bag still seems so pointless to me.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE POLICY
Guests are permitted to bring bottled water and food that may fit into a 16" X 16" X 8" soft-sided bag. Water bottles should not exceed 24 ounces in size, and must be clear, plastic, sealed and disposable.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » August 18th, 2019, 10:59 pm

oleblu111 wrote: If people have real young children that want to be there and are not much of a disturbance then by all means go for it.

Guys they have vendor's that sell all kids of food in the south endzone. so you do not need to use USU concession's.
Agree 100% with your first point. If my kid starts squawking if we can’t get her calmed down in like 5 seconds somebody is taking her for a walk, I’ve never understood parents that will let their kid ruin another’s experience.

Also agree with your second point to a degree. There are quite a few food options and I think we’ll be fine for the 6 home games. It is really basketball and the 18+ games and very limited concessions that I’m worried about. In any case I can’t control it and I’ll make it work. My now 4 year old son was 3 for the last b-ball season and the first couple games I took him too he had medium interest, but around the new year something clicked and he was engaged the whole game and running to get to the front row at the end to get high fives from the team. I even took him to Columbus with me and had a great trip despite the result. Hoping the same enthusiasm is developed quickly in my daughter but this season she’ll come with us and watch a movie on headphones most the time, eating smuggled goldfish.

These users thanked the author bigwilly087 for the post:
oleblu111

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 18th, 2019, 11:25 pm

dyedblue wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm
It literally takes more than an hour to get through the gates in Boise last year. A few years ago at the last bowl game there they wouldn't even let me in with a small camera bag - and it was raining. I had to walk more than a mile to my car to put my nice camera away.

At BYU it is a little faster, but they made everyone throw away even the smallest of water bottles.

This is not a safety thing at all. Sorry. It just isn't.

Agreed. As I mentioned, anyone with a valid Utah concealed carry permit can carry a concealed firearm in the stadium despite the policy.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » August 18th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Aggie fans love to throw a hissy fit at the hint of the slightest, most minor inconvenience lol.

Among the cheapest season tickets in the country, incredible seats no matter where you are in Maverik Stadium, a top-25 program with a likely first-round draft choice quarterback, but yeah. You can't bring in your own coffee. Y'all suck.

ususports

Post by ususports » August 19th, 2019, 12:36 am

oleblu111 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 3:48 pm
If folks want to sneak food into the stadium and it does not bother their conscience great.
If the university is going to claim that the reason for no outside food is because some fruit snacks, gold fish crackers, and granola bars are going to cause a major security risk to the general public because it is the equivalent of bringing a nuclear time bomb into the stadium then I think my conscience will be just fine.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » August 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

bigwilly087 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

Gotta love being a parent. Everything you just said is true even for my 4 year old still. Hoping he’s on the edge of starting to enjoy the game but we’re not there yet.

Locked Previous topicNext topic