Discussion of Chuckie Keeton

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMan21

Discussion of Chuckie Keeton

Post by AgMan21 » August 23rd, 2019, 12:42 pm

I am so ready for this season to start that I have been going back and re-watching some games from my favorite past seasons. Doing so, with a bit of time between now and then, has opened my eyes to some things, and I have a question (especially because I am not a football expert but merely an avid fan of USU football).

Before I get into it, let me just say that I think Chuckie Keeton may be one of the finest people that has ever come through our program. I think that he played a major role in helping turn the team around, and we were better because of him. My question though, is at the time I thought he was a GREAT quarterback, and that he was a legitimate NFL prospect. Looking back on it though, I don't think I was right.

So my question is: was Chuckie Keeton a great quarterback that was hamstrung by injuries, or was he a GOOD quarterback with moments of greatness? I hope that makes sense.

Having watched a number of old games, I did notice weaknesses that I'd glossed over before. He didn't always set his feet when throwing, he had a bad tendency to stare down his receivers thus telegraphing throws, and it seemed that he was consistently trying to do more than he needed to/should have.

I love Chuckie, so please tell me I'm wrong.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Discussion of Chuckie Keeton

Post by ProvoAggie » August 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

Chuckie was a great college quarterback. One of the best that Utah State has ever had. That doesn't mean that he was one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game or that he never made mistakes. I never did think that he would make it in the NFL but I fully believe that he was exactly what USU needed at the time. He was a dual threat unlike any other QB we had seen at USU (at least in my lifetime). His injuries definitely held him back a bit and made him a bit less mobile but even with those limitations in place I feel like he's one of the greatest QB's we've seen at USU.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 23rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm
Chuckie was a great college quarterback. One of the best that Utah State has ever had. That doesn't mean that he was one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game or that he never made mistakes. I never did think that he would make it in the NFL but I fully believe that he was exactly what USU needed at the time. He was a dual threat unlike any other QB we had seen at USU (at least in my lifetime). His injuries definitely held him back a bit and made him a bit less mobile but even with those limitations in place I feel like he's one of the greatest QB's we've seen at USU.
Let’s remember, Chuckie had one great season mixed with several so so seasons and injuries. He was very good. I’m not sure great other than one season.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

I thought Chuckie was a great athlete. He accomplished so much due to his athleticism. He was a good quarterback also, who had some really good players around him. Loved watching him play, and hope for the best always for him.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 23rd, 2019, 1:30 pm

Is Chucky getting paid well as a GA at Texas Tech? I sure hope so, odd that he would have left OSU to come coach with Matt Wells and bail with him for lateral move money. That or he and Gary had a falling out after he left OSU.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm

Chatman wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 1:06 pm
Let’s remember, Chuckie had one great season mixed with several so so seasons and injuries. He was very good. I’m not sure great other than one season.
I assume the one season you're referring to is the 11-2 season in 2012? You might not realize that in 2013 up until his injury in week 6 at home against the cougarettes, Chuckie was one of the nation's leaders in Total QBR. Throuh 5 and a half games he had thrown for 1,388 yards with18 TDs and 2 Interceptions. He also had 241 yards rushing and 2 TDs on the ground. To that point, Chuckie WAS great and we'll never know what his ceiling would've been barring injury.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post (total 9):
USU78HomeTownAggiefan33stewusu98sneeddonlarson8oleblu111aggies22TrueBlueFan

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 23rd, 2019, 2:19 pm

I just struggle with the fact that he never seemed to progress as much as we expected. His freshman year he did phenomenally, but then he didn't seem meet expectations after that. I know injuries will absolutely hamper someone's progress, and it makes it difficult to improve, but he didn't really show the kind of strides in decision making (something that his injuries should not of inhibited).
newhouse9 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 1:12 pm
I thought Chuckie was a great athlete. He accomplished so much due to his athleticism. He was a good quarterback also, who had some really good players around him. Loved watching him play, and hope for the best always for him.
I absolutely agree that he was a great athlete. Sometimes he would make a play that just made you stop and think "WOW". I wonder how much of his progress was hindered because of injuries and loss of confidence or swagger.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 23rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 2:18 pm
Chatman wrote:
I assume the one season you're referring to is the 11-2 season in 2012? You might not realize that in 2013 up until his injury in week 6 at home against the cougarettes, Chuckie was one of the nation's leaders in Total QBR. Throuh 5 and a half games he had thrown for 1,388 yards with18 TDs and 2 Interceptions. He also had 241 yards rushing and 2 TDs on the ground. To that point, Chuckie WAS great and we'll never know what his ceiling would've been barring injury.
This is exactly what I was going to post. I will always remember Chuckie as a great college quarterback. He is my favorite Aggie player of all time. I remember seeing him do things that astonished me. To me, he is as entwined in the program's turnaround as GA.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseTurtle

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 23rd, 2019, 2:29 pm

His Sophomore year was solid, with the WAC Championship. He was very good. After the knee injury, he was never the same. That was a horrific injury from what I understand, as far as overall damage. I can't imagine what it would take to ever feel full speed again, plus with him perhaps coming back and playing too soon. Then getting hurt again.

Doggone, when he was good though, it was special. He had some wonderful games.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
JSHarvey

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 23rd, 2019, 2:31 pm

Like was said early in the thread, he didn't set his feet all of the time, I always thought his throw motion looked funny at times, and wondered if it was just because he would often throw off of feet in weird position.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 23rd, 2019, 3:01 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Chatman wrote:
Chuckie's legs were his blessing and his curse. He had great springs and could flat-out burn in the open, but every time he made a tight cut, I cringed, hoping that those spindly things would hold out for just one more game. Such a shame. The Bougars were gunning for him the day he really lost himself. Yes, on the specific play he had to leave the game, he fell over by himself, but they'd been going after his legs all game.

Of course, in fairness, we'd have done the same to their guy that game if we could have. It's how the game is played. Thank heavens Love's got a much sturdier body.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 23rd, 2019, 3:02 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 2:31 pm
Like was said early in the thread, he didn't set his feet all of the time, I always thought his throw motion looked funny at times, and wondered if it was just because he would often throw off of feet in weird position.
His ball placement was also suspect: he didn't get it to guys on the run very often. I don't know how many times we'd have a guy running clear and he ended up catching the ball while falling down because of elaborate adjustments to make the catch.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 23rd, 2019, 3:05 pm

Are you making the comparison to how good Jordan Love is, and because Chuckie Keeton isn’t Jordan Love discounting Chuckie?

Jordan Love is the best QB to ever play at Utah State, and we would be very lucky to ever have a QB as good as he is ever again.

But Chuckie was a very good QB- and despite how good he was he had faults. I didn’t always like execution on some screens- I didn’t like the manner in which he ran. Seemingly like an out of control deer.

But Chuckie had a lot of athleticism and was the best we’ve had up until that point. Chuckie had a lot of strengths and some deficiencies.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 3):
USU78ProvoAggieaggies22

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » August 23rd, 2019, 4:29 pm

CK remains the most exciting Aggie football player of my lifetime. I thought anything was possible when he was on the field and playing at his peak. He and GA changed everything for football at Utah State. The injuries were devastating. Had he stayed healthy, he might have gotten a statue.

Love may very well end up being the best QB ever to play at Utah State. I sure hope so - for him and for us. He is a great talent and by all accounts, a stellar guy. I think it’s too early to give him that title but he’s definitely knocking on the door. Can’t wait to watch his season unfold.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 23rd, 2019, 4:31 pm

Rewatch his performance at Utah in 2013. He was incredible that night. If he hadn’t cramped up for a play and if Craig Harrison hadn’t come in his place we likely would’ve scored inside the 5 yard line and put that game away. His junior year started off better than his Sophomore year until the injury.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 12:42 pm
I am so ready for this season to start that I have been going back and re-watching some games from my favorite past seasons. Doing so, with a bit of time between now and then, has opened my eyes to some things, and I have a question (especially because I am not a football expert but merely an avid fan of USU football).

Before I get into it, let me just say that I think Chuckie Keeton may be one of the finest people that has ever come through our program. I think that he played a major role in helping turn the team around, and we were better because of him. My question though, is at the time I thought he was a GREAT quarterback, and that he was a legitimate NFL prospect. Looking back on it though, I don't think I was right.

So my question is: was Chuckie Keeton a great quarterback that was hamstrung by injuries, or was he a GOOD quarterback with moments of greatness? I hope that makes sense.

Having watched a number of old games, I did notice weaknesses that I'd glossed over before. He didn't always set his feet when throwing, he had a bad tendency to stare down his receivers thus telegraphing throws, and it seemed that he was consistently trying to do more than he needed to/should have.

I love Chuckie, so please tell me I'm wrong.
I disagree. Chuckie was an evolving QB who started as a true freshman and grew until his knee got wiped out. He had his struggles. Mendenhall always seemed to have his number a bit but all you need to see is his senior year game against Utah when he clearly got hit early in the knee, couldn't plant at all to throw but almost won the game on guts and savvy.

I think one overlooked thing on his road back from injury was that Wells was his primary QB coach and de facto offensive coordinator and kept messing a bit with his throwing technique. I just don't think Wells made QBs better. Chuckie did that on his own. Not saying that superseded the messed up knee but post injury it sure didn't help. Neither did the change in O-line coach..just saying.

The one flaw I saw in Chuckies game pre-injury was that he got a bit rattled by USC's edge rushers and Mendenhalls aggressive scheme. But when you watch how he was blocked for in those games its easier to understand.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 23rd, 2019, 4:49 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Chuckle would have broken all school records had he not been injured. He was great till mid 2013 season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
donlarson8

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 23rd, 2019, 11:35 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
Chatman wrote:
You beat me to it.

People also have remember that he put up those numbers against a solid Utah defense and a USC team that had the best front 7 in the country.

Chuckie Keeton was a great QB! His nagging injuries and not having a quality O-Line that could give him time to pass held him back from reaching his ceiling.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 24th, 2019, 9:51 am

I would also recommend people take a look at Love last season vs Love this season. In one of the interviews I almost didn't recognize him at first glance because he looks "more mature" now compared to previous seasons. There is a definitely a lot of physical change that still happens, especially for athletes who are training hard and working on their physique, between the ages of 19 and 21.

My point is that had Chucky not become perpetually hurt, we had the strength and conditioning program we have now, he may have bulked up, gained even more vision and know-how as to when to run and when not to take off, and become every bit the NFL prospect that Love is right now.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 24th, 2019, 10:48 am

Chuckie was a great player, and he is a better person. He was exactly what USU needed to break the mold. We will never know how good Chuckie could have been. But Chuckie hid a lot of problems and holes in our offense, he was that good.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
JSHarvey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 24th, 2019, 11:40 am

Chuckie was incredible until BYU broke him in 2013.
Different player than Love. Chuckie was a dynamic playmaker and could do it with the run and the pass.

Jordan is more of a prototypical passer that can beat you with the run if he has to.

Chuckie pre-injury was a significantly better running threat. Jordan is the better passer, is more durable, and has more of an NFL body.

Both great Aggies. Not a very fair comparison to say one is better than the other, because I think Jordan has had the benefit of playing for deeper, more talented teams top to bottom than Chuckie did, but overall plays a more difficult schedule than the WAC years. Hard to compare.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 3:14 pm

It was a nom contact injury. Source level me in section 102 trying to steal AgMac’s popcorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 24th, 2019, 3:26 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 3:14 pm
It was a nom contact injury. Source level me in section 102 trying to steal AgMac’s popcorn.

Absolutely fake news considering AgMac is a Section 202 guy.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 6:32 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

My bad, it’s been a few years and I inly sat there two games!

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 6:32 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

He’s vigorous with his Scotsmanning, as I’m sure you well know.

Hail Aggies!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 24th, 2019, 10:44 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 6:32 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

He’s vigorous with his Scotsmanning, as I’m sure you well know.

There is only one thing I love more than popcorn -> the Scotsman.

Locked Previous topicNext topic